Author Topic: Tenn May Close Program Treating Gayness  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Tenn May Close Program Treating Gayness
« on: April 02, 2007, 12:46:38 PM »
NATIONAL NEWS
Tenn. opens new probe of ‘ex-gay’ facility   Gay
Experts say children should not be forced into counseling
By EARTHA MELZER
Friday, July 01, 2005

The state of Tennessee continues to probe Love in Action, the Memphis facility that has drawn protests since a 16-year-old known as “Zach” blogged that his parents were sending him there for treatment intended to change his sexual orientation.

The Tennessee Department of Health has sent a letter to Love in Action notifying the group that it is suspected of operating illegally, according to Andrea Turner, communications director for the department.

Turner said that if the program is strictly faith-based it would not require licensing by the state, but that according to the group’s Web site, Love in Action has licensed counselors and provides services related to alcohol and drug addiction on site.

“If this is the case, they are required to be licensed as a drug and alcohol treatment facility in Tennessee,” Turner said.

If employees there are providing counseling on homosexuality, it is possible that they are operating outside their area of expertise, Turner added.

Legislation giving the health department the authority to issue cease-and-desist orders to unlicensed alcohol and drug treatment facilities goes into effect July 1. Turner said that the health department is considering whether the Love in Action facility is causing harm.

Rachel Lassiter, of Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen’s communications office, said that the Department of Mental Health & Developmental Disabilities has also begun research on Love in Action and is writing a letter of inquiry to the facility to determine whether an official investigation is warranted.

Lassiter said that only licensed professionals should provide mental health care in Tennessee and that the state has an interest in making sure that whatever services are offered are beneficial.

Last week, the Department of Child Services investigated allegations of child abuse at the facility and determined that the allegations were unfounded.

Dr. Warren Throckmorton, a psychologist at faith-based Grove City College in Pennsylvania and a leading advocate for the view that sexual orientation can be changed, said that he believes that Love in Action is mixing ministry with treatment and that people can be damaged by sexual reorientation therapies offered by unprofessional practitioners.

Throckmorton emphasized that while a parent might compel a teen to attend church, a professional counselor is bound to obtain informed consent from a client and should not treat a minor solely because his parents are upset about his sexual orientation.

Love in Action advertises a therapeutic environment in which professional counselors help people overcome “addictive behaviors including homosexuality.”

Insurance covers ex-gays?
Throckmorton serves on the professional advisory board of Magellan, the country’s largest behavioral health insurance manager. Magellan handles behavioral health coverage for hundreds of health care plans and Medicaid.

This year, Magellan removed Throckmorton from his advisory role after critics expressed concerns about Throckmorton’s efforts to advance the idea that sexual reorientation counseling should be available to gays.

Magellan restored Throckmorton to his post after pressure from LifeWay Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention, a Christian products and services company based in Nashville. Throckmorton said that he believes the fact that he was reinstated means that Magellan would cover patients’ costs associated with sexual re-orientation therapy.

Although homosexuality is not an illness, Jack Dresher, chair of the American Psychiatric Association’s Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual issues Committee, said that he believes some counselors offer therapies intended to reorient gays and bill insurance companies with the diagnosis “sexual disorder not otherwise specified.”

It is not clear how widespread this practice is. Magellan could not provide statistics on how frequently people are diagnosed with “sexual disorder NOS.” Some providers, including Throckmorton, do not accept insurance, and therefore would not be subject to monitoring by managed health plans.

Throckmorton said that most people who seek reorientation counseling are referred to practitioners through Exodus International, an umbrella group for “ex-gay” projects.

There is no referral system that guides people to professionals that specialize in sexual reorientation counseling. No schools provide specialized training in this area and so it is outside the area of expertise for most professionals.

Sexual reorientation and reparative therapy counseling presents ethical, legal and regulatory challenges.

The idea that sexual orientation is changeable is advanced by conservative groups like Exodus International and Focus on the Family.

In “Calculated Compassion: How the Ex-Gay Movement Serves the Right’s Attack on Democracy,” Surina Khan writes that the ex-gay movement provides political cover for anti-gay campaigns by repackaging them in kinder, gentler terms and attempting to ally itself with religious groups.

“The ex-gay movement is an integral part of the Christian Right, which promotes Christian nationalism, an ideology that seeks to use government laws and regulations to impose fundamentalist Christian values on the entire nation.”

Indeed, money from James Dobson’s Focus on the Family has funded both Exodus and the Alliance Defense Fund, a leading legal group opposing recognition of gay relationships. In her 1998 report Khan points out that Robert Knight of the Family Research Council has characterized the beginning of a major ex-gay publicity campaign as “the Normandy landing in the larger cultural wars.”

Ex-gays backers oppose forced treatment
But not even those who support making sexual reorientation available to adults believe that it is right to coerce a minor into undergoing such treatment.

Dr. Mark Yarhouse is often cited by the ex-gay movement. Yarhouse runs the Institute for the Study of Sexual Identity at the religious Regent University in Virginia Beach. Yarhouse said that it is unethical to treat a minor against his or her will.

Arthur Goldberg is a board member of the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality and co-director of Jonah, a Jewish ministry that addresses unwanted same-sex attraction. Goldberg said, “We tell parents that unless someone is motivated to want to change, they are wasting their money.”

Shannon Mintner, a lawyer with the National Center for Lesbian Rights, has worked on hundreds of cases in which teens are forced into various types of treatment scenarios because their parents disapprove of their sexual orientation.

Mintner first became aware of this phenomenon when he was contacted by a teenage girl who had escaped from a psychiatric facility where she was undergoing forced treatment for lesbianism. Mintner was able to help the girl find an adoptive home with a San Francisco lesbian couple.

Mintner said that Love in Action’s attempt to reorient kids is unique only in that they are so open about what they are trying to do.

In 1995, Mintner was involved in a case in Memphis in which the group Parents & Friends of Lesbians & Gays helped a 16-year-old gay male seek emancipation from his parents because they were forcing him to attend reorientation counseling with a Memphis psychologist, Dr. Duff Wright, and planned to send him to either Love in Action, or another similar program.

Minter said that the Memphis Circuit Court judge agreed that the boy would be harmed by this treatment and indicated that he would sign the emancipation order. In a settlement agreement, the parents abandoned plans to send the boy to reorientation treatment.

In April, the Tennessee Department of Health permanently revoked Dr. Duff Wright’s license to practice as a psychologist, due to alleged ethics violations.

Mintner said that while he has been able to help young people on a case-by-case level, “What we have not yet been able to find a way to do is to develop a systemic response that would get at the heart of the issue.”

Discussion of Love in Action has permeated the Memphis media in recent weeks and Alex Polotsky of the Queer Action Coalition said that the group will continue its campaign of demonstrations against Love in Action.

“We want every person in America to know about this. No reasonable sane person would support this program,” he said.

Twenty-one-year-old J.M., who spoke on condition on anonymity, said that he was sent to Love in Action by his parents at the recommendation of a Christian counselor when he was 17.

“The place was like a Nazi camp. I lost faith in God, friends, family.”

J.M. said he is glad that Love in Action has come into the spotlight.

“I am optimistic for some point in the future, I’ve lived for brief periods in New York, New Jersey, Philly. They are not as close-minded about this; it is not as cruel,” he said.
http://www.washblade.com/2005/7-1/news/ ... enopen.cfm
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 06:50:31 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 07:39:47 PM »
How do you treat gayness?  :question:

it's like trying to treat the colour of someone's skin/eye colour/race

I've never heard of anything so retarded in my life  :roll:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 07:49:55 PM »
Quote from: ""exhausted""

Ask the former Rev. Ted Haggard - he was cured of his homosexual demons in some kind of queer exorcism.  He's still out of a job, so I guess no one believes it....
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 07:51:05 PM »

It's a popular political carrot on a stick in this country with which to lead around the "values voters"... "values" being defined by a bunch of really slick con artists who know how to make a great big scapegoat (example abortion (which the republicans would never dare actually tamper with), random wars on abstract concepts, and of course, GAY MARRIAGE!, edit: and don't forget the plague of FLAG BURNINGS... and  the TERRISTSS that HATE OUR FREEDOMS!!!(don't mind us while we tap everybody's phones and email)) to further an agenda of what pretty much amounts to greed run amok.  When the church goes to bed with the corporation, and the corporation goes to bed with the government, the peopel think they are free, and cheer on conquerers believing they are defending themselves while actually working for a corporate war machine... so deluded...Well folks, that's Psy's quick summary of America today.

And no i'm not a leftist actually.  I believe in as little government as possible.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 07:55:11 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 07:53:15 PM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""

Ask the former Rev. Ted Haggard - he was cured of his homosexual demons in some kind of queer exorcism.  He's still out of a job, so I guess no one believes it....

Nope.  Dont feel one bit sorry for him.  It's like a black member of the KKK.  Rough equivalent of an Uncle Tom.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 08:43:07 PM »
Anybody who watches Fox's "Prison Break" is familiar with "The Company." What that might not know is that "The Company" is real.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 09:02:07 PM »
Is this love in action? Do only adults volunteer to go here or do people send their kids?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 09:12:42 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""

It's a popular political carrot on a stick in this country with which to lead around the "values voters"... "values" being defined by a bunch of really slick con artists who know how to make a great big scapegoat (example abortion (which the republicans would never dare actually tamper with), random wars on abstract concepts, and of course, GAY MARRIAGE!, edit: and don't forget the plague of FLAG BURNINGS... and  the TERRISTSS that HATE OUR FREEDOMS!!!(don't mind us while we tap everybody's phones and email)) to further an agenda of what pretty much amounts to greed run amok.  When the church goes to bed with the corporation, and the corporation goes to bed with the government, the peopel think they are free, and cheer on conquerers believing they are defending themselves while actually working for a corporate war machine... so deluded...Well folks, that's Psy's quick summary of America today.

Psy, have you no heart? Flag burning... Its dangerous! have some compassion for the people whose lives are destroyed having to watch a visual metaphor.
Think of the soldiers fighting for our freedoms ...by killing masses of children, women, and old men in a country that just HAPPENS, in an extradinary example of pure coinicedence, to have tons of oil.

Unrealatedly, In another extradinary example of pure coincidence that oil and war is very lucrative to corporate interests who just happen to donate huge sums of $ to the Bush authorities or are  the bush authorites themselves. But of course that has nothing to do with  our noble war against  the terrorists of 911, oops! i mean terrorists in general, oops! I mean bringing democracy to the middle east and watching it spread like a flower, oops! i mean fighting them there so we wont fight them here.

Yes I am aware I have given 5 different explanations that shift as the preceding one becomes indefencible but I have no memory of the past. I have nothing to be ashamed of. What did i just say?

As for the lord jesus being in bed with the corporations, dont you know Jesus is rewarding those folk with riches cause they are righteous, and why do you imply that I think this sort of thing just beasue my pastor/radio figure head says it beacsue he's been told to by the folk that own the stations and give him grants? Its all a coincidence. Pay no attention to the leviathon behind the curtain.
Stare at the floor, serve your betters by destroying yourself, and congratulate yourself on living inthe land of the free.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 10:31:03 PM »
Quote from: ""Eliscu2""

And no i'm not a leftist actually.  I believe in as little government as possible.

Most Excellent Post :exclaim:

I concur, that post puts into words what I've been thinking for a while now....

Glad to finally have that off my chest..
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 11:13:02 PM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
Is this love in action? Do only adults volunteer to go here or do people send their kids?

Kids get sent there. There was a case of a 16-year-old that blogged how he outed himself to his christian parents, how horrible there reaction was, and they forced him into this program.

Here is one article about him:

http://www.washblade.com/2005/7-22/news ... ayteen.cfm

I've read the kid's blog and it would break your heart. For example, once his family discovered he was gay, they forbade him any contact with children in the extended family for fear he would molest them. He even wrote that he was considering suicide as alternative to attending the camp (which prompted the press storm as well meaning people tried to identify him). He also posted the progarms ridiculous rule book.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 11:29:10 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

Psy, have you no heart? Flag burning... Its dangerous! have some compassion for the people whose lives are destroyed having to watch a visual metaphor.

Then make your flag out of asbestos or some other flame resistant material.
Stop wasting our Govt's time with these kinds of stupid issues.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 11:49:07 PM »
I find it amazing that there are people who believe that sex and flag burning are the most important issues America needs to address. They are such non-issues.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 11:54:46 PM »
Quote from: ""the article""
Hundreds of people from across the country are scheduled to attend the Freedom Conference and participate in workshops and individualized counseling sessions designed to help them out of being gay.

Rev. Jerry Falwell and Alan Chambers, president of Exodus International,

Hey.  It's not just Exodus international.. Benchmark took me becuase my parents found out I was bi.  And Lon Woodbury had the balls to tell me to think about "why i was sent there".. Oh .. i am so tempted.. so  utterly tempted to post that letter.. but not on this thread..

Only in America does this sort of thing happen...  Well it happens in china too... to be completly fair...

In the end you know they got his mind don't you...

And oh yeah.. it's program allright:

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Stark

They got bioenergetics and workshops and

Well i guess their parents have a nice little closet case now... maybe he'll be forced to get married and have kids, and later snap out of it, and leave a broken home.. and then his parents will (ironically) condemn him for that.  Oh this is all too too familiar.

It just appears to bbe less draconian than this: "Particularly controversial (and probably largely outdated) techniques include electroconvulsive therapy[26] and aversion therapy. Documented cases include electric shocks being administered to patients' genitalia, "sometimes paired with disturbing images, including a bowl of feces and pictures of Kaposi's Sarcoma lesions." The most recent reported incidences of these kinds of aversion therapy were in 1992.[27]"

Ya know.. that kinda reminds me of a lot of those videos they made us watch all the friggin time showing us where we would be without program...

Bit ya know thereis a good ending for the program though :"In 2005, 16-year-old Zachary Stark posted on his blog protesting his parents' decision to send him to an ex-gay camp. In 2006, 17-year old DJ Butler was driven to the same camp in handcuffs.[50] The camp, run by Love in Action ministries, was subsequently shut down when Tennessee authorities discovered that unlicensed staff had been administering prescription drugs to the patients.[51]"

Oh dear.  Isn't that a tragedy.

In my personal opinion, the staff, and those operating such places, should be imprisoned for life... and that's being kind.

Oh but this one is funny... relapses:  haha

Quote from: ""wiki again""
Relapses and ex-ex-gays

Further information: Ex-ex-gay

Ex-gay John Paulk leaving a gay bar. (Photograph by Wayne Besen.)
Ex-gay John Paulk leaving a gay bar. (Photograph by Wayne Besen.)

* In 1979, Exodus International's co-founder Michael Bussee and his partner Gary Cooper quit the group and held a life commitment ceremony together.[53]
    * John Paulk left Focus on the Family after he was spotted by reporters in a Washington, D.C., gay bar.[54] John Paulk is still married and champions the cause of the ex-gay movement.
    * In 1986, Colin Cook, founder of Homosexuals Anonymous[/u], was discovered to be engaging in sexual acts with his patients. He claimed that the nude massages of other men should desensitize them against homosexual desires. In 1987, he was expelled from Homosexuals Anonymous for sexual activity, and in 1995 a similar scandal happened with his newly founded group FaithQuest Colorado. According to the Denver Post, Cook had engaged in phone sex, practiced long and grinding hugs, and asked patients to bring homosexual pornography to sessions so that he could help desensitize them against it.

I would just love to hear what those 12 steps are.

Oh .. dear me... they're already done in film format:

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/But_I%27m_a_Cheerleader

Inside i'm fuming.. really  i am

:flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:02:46 AM by Guest »

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 11:58:52 PM »
Perhaps every parent who is considering sending their off spring to be degayified (i assume mostly for religious reasons) should be forced to read the following book
http://www.amazon.com/This-Remarkable-G ... 1864484624

It was written by a catholic priest but more or less applies to all branches of Cristianity that obsess over who it is OK to have sex with.

I double dare you to post that letter psy
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 12:08:29 AM »

Then make your flag out of asbestos or some other flame resistant material.
Stop wasting our Govt's time with these kinds of stupid issues.

MY GOD...CANT YOU TELL I WAS JOKING,?
what is this world coming to