Author Topic: Girl's death stirs debate over psychiatric meds  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Re: To Robert and DJ
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 02:36:50 PM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
Denial.......

Rampant. I've seen it all my life. It still surprises me sometimes to remember that most of the people around me have never had to think about it the way I have. But I've seen young mothers use psyche drugs or the threat of drugging to control pretty typical, charming little kid behavior. They themselves, in this generation anyway, have never been exposed to much of it except seeing it punished and condemned by the schoolpeople et al.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline odie

• View Profile
Girl's death stirs debate over psychiatric meds
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 08:29:17 AM »
Just makes you wonder what kind of wackadoodles the parents are if all their kids are being diagnosed with bi-polar and adhd.
die

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 09:16:45 AM »
Quote from: ""odie""
Just makes you wonder what kind of wackadoodles the parents are if all their kids are being diagnosed with bi-polar and adhd.

Yep. My thoughts. Rather than teaching parenting skills, Social Services now takes the easy route, drug them. Hard to misbehave when you're in a drooling stupor.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 06:36:24 PM »
How would a professional "therapist" even diagnose a young child as being bi-polar?  Wouldn't this require a lot of verbal communication between the "patient" and therapist to come to such a conclusion? A discussion of mood swings, feelings, thoughts etc?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 06:55:09 PM »
Quote from: ""odie""
Oi I resent that! 2 Of mine are ADHD, it's genetic, thank you very much, it's not something me or my kids are particuarly enjoying - I'm not wackadoodles, I reaearched the condition thoroughly and deal with it by experience and technique found through making sure I knew everythig I could possibly find on what it's like for them!  :flame:

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 09:07:52 PM »
?quote from the news papers?:    ?  She (the little girls doctor) said she based her diagnoses of ADHD and bipolar disorder on the family?s mental health history, as described by Carolyn Riley (the mother), and Rebecca?s behavior, as described by Carolyn and briefly observed by her during office visits.

I understand that some studies indicate that Bi-polar and ADHD is hereditary (I have read them)?? but to start drugging a kid at age 2 based solely on the parents mental history and description of how the kid behaves is nuts.  Like Eliscu2 said ?Show me a 2 year old that is not hyper and pays attention!? they are all over the map at that age? unless there is direct evidence that ADHD and Bi-polar is passed down from the parents (in every case) then this Childs?s psychologist  should be held accountable and put on trial along with the parents.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17758170/page/2/

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 06:30:07 AM »
I agree that diagnosing a two year old infant with a clinical mental illness is ridiculous.  Anyone who has raised children knows that all 2 year olds are bipolar in nature.  Given to great mood swings.

Psychiatric professionals rarely, RARELY will commit to a firm diagnosis before age 18.  

I think it's clear from the articles about this family that there was mental illness evidence ... in the parents.

But, viewed from a bigger window ... I think that this is the current trend in our country.  We pop a pill for everything.  EVERYTHING.

Blood pressure too high?  Pop a pill instead of dieting and doing cardio exercise.

Diabetes?  Pop a pill instead of watching your carbs.

Not happy in life?  Take a Prozac instead of mentally assessing life and making healthy life changes.

Got an active two year old?  Diagnose as mentally ill and put her in a drug induced la-la-land.

I don't know why this story takes us so by surprise.

Next time you turn on the tv, notice how many pharmaceutical advertisements you see.  And they are not directed toward health care professionals .. they are directed toward Joe Consumer.  That way we can diagnose and medicate our own ills.   But heh ... thats another post for another day.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 12:44:35 PM »
I still want to know why this jerk father was even living in the house with this little little girl?
He was awaiting trial for sexually molesting his step-daughter!
Why wasn't this child being protected until after the out-come of this trial?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 01:19:17 PM »
Good point TS, in this case they were using their kids to fund their life???..

He described parents who pushed hard for psychiatric diagnoses for the girl in hopes that she would qualify for $1,200 monthly disability benefits that their other children were receiving??????????????Middleton said that Riley told arriving paramedics, ???You guys can slow down, she?s already gone.?
??He acted like the whole thing was a big inconvenience. ... He showed no sadness,?? Middleton said.

In a separate case due to go to trial in May, Michael Riley is accused of sexually assaulting the girl (his stepdaughter) in 2005, when she was 13.?.. The girl?s biological father is a registered sex offender in Maine and was due to be released from prison this month after serving time for sexual abuse of a minor?????????????..

http://www.patriotledger.com/articles/2 ... news02.txt

Nice people?I cant find out why this guy was still living there either?.Guaranteed he will be on the streets in 6 months and will get a job out of state as a maintenance guy or soccer coach at an all girl?s school.

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2007, 08:42:14 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
?quote from the news papers?:    ?  She (the little girls doctor) said she based her diagnoses of ADHD and bipolar disorder on the family?s mental health history, as described by Carolyn Riley (the mother), and Rebecca?s behavior, as described by Carolyn and briefly observed by her during office visits.

I understand that some studies indicate that Bi-polar and ADHD is hereditary (I have read them)?? but to start drugging a kid at age 2 based solely on the parents mental history and description of how the kid behaves is nuts.  Like Eliscu2 said ?Show me a 2 year old that is not hyper and pays attention!? they are all over the map at that age? unless there is direct evidence that ADHD and Bi-polar is passed down from the parents (in every case) then this Childs?s psychologist  should be held accountable and put on trial along with the parents.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17758170/page/2/
'Tis true, I've known this for a long time, long before the research was more commonly known, I passed down the ADHD to my kids, athough i am not ADHD myself, it is somewhere in my genetic make up.

The Who, your code is really like reading a page written in half russian, half English  :lol: