Author Topic: Missing Thread  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Missing Thread
« on: March 19, 2007, 04:00:57 PM »
Okay, I was working on a post in the Minor Issues thread.  I accidentally put in duplicate posts.  Attempted to delete one.  Got the query "Are you sure you want to delete this post?"  I hit the button "yes."  Got put off into never never blank page land like I do when I've tried to edit (which doesn't take), figured that my delete post didn't take.  Going back through History to get to Web Forum Hosting, I noticed the whole THREAD was GONE.  Went back to the Index, and noticed that the Web Forum Hosting Forum is missing latest post info just like the Open Free For All Forum.

Kelly, it appears as though if someone tries to delete their post, they end up deleting the whole thread.  The reason the Open Free For All Forum is still showing the absence of latest post data is because no one has posted there recently.

Just my suggestion, course I don't really know...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 04:14:56 PM »
Okay, SUMMARY of some things (my conjecture):

•  Web Forum Hosting is now missing a thread:  Minor Issue or similar name (about the lack of latest post data on the Open Free For All Forum).
  •  Open Free For All is missing at least one thread, missing sometime between the 15th and my noting the lack of latest post data (whenever I started the Minor issue thread, which turns out not to have been such a minor issue after all).
  •  It is not possible to edit.
  •  It IS possible to delete, but deletion is not confined to designated post; it will be applied to entire thread post appeared in.

YIKES!!!!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 04:38:10 PM »
I just checked my browser windows, I still have an older (earlier today) copy of this thread open with the first 4 posts still on it.  It is called "Minor Issue, perhaps..." and it was started Sunday the 18th, at 7:25 PM.  I wonder whether my ability to accidentally wipe out the entire thread (despite meaning to just wipe out the last duplicate post) has anything to do with my being the OP of this thread in the first place?

Just musing out loud with more minor details in the hopes of assisting your trouble-shooting...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 07:07:10 PM »
Okay, I just compared the threads on the first pages of the Open Free For All Forums, current version with the older previous version still on the IP address site.  The missing thread from OFFA appears to be the one titled "Focal Point Academy in Mesquite Nevada," OP bearman (his/her only post).  This thread was created March 14th at 1:13 AM, was viewed 4 times, and had no replies as of the old IP address version.  The latest post in this older version of OFFA was later that same day, 4:08 AM (another thread).

Related but different comment:  when a thread in a forum has undergone this kind of deletion treatment, the forum takes up residence at the bottom of the lineup, even if more recent posts have been made in said forum and it should be bumped higher up.  I don't know why this is and cannot even speculate, but mention it in case this fact assists in trouble-shooting the problem.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 07:29:06 PM »
OH!  And I forgot to mention, to further confuse things, that at some point immediately after Fornits had been down for a long time (I seem to remember it was when we got the Greenwich Mean Time comment as rationale for it taking longer than expected but I could be wrong), for a very brief period there were one or two "test" threads which appeared in the top half of the forum.  I am almost positive that they were in the Open Free For All Forum, but I could be wrong.  At any rate, I just checked all of the General Interest Forums and I can not find them anywhere.  Perhaps their deletion may have contributed to or are at least associated with the current state of affairs?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 12:06:23 AM »
I'm a little confused about all of this...would you mind rehashing everything from the very beginning? Thanks.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 12:54:02 AM »
Sorry, if I was unclear.  Good comment!  Much of the above included extraneous details as they occured/I thought of them, which merely ended up complicating things.

It appears that one is able to delete entire threads (that is, user-names can).  This happened to me today, inadvertantly, when I attempted to delete a duplicate post of mine in the thread "Minor Issue, perhaps...".  I deleted the duplicate post, and then the entire thread disappeared.

When the thread disappeared, it was simply gone without a trace from the Web Forum Hosting Forum (in which it had been).  However, the appearance of this Forum on the Index was a bit bizarre, namely, you just saw a little arrow and the box.  Just like the Open Free For All Forum looks now.  There was no "latest post data," i.e. the name or guest and what time it had been posted.

This led me to conjecture that the reason the OFFA Forum looks the way it does is that someone tried to delete their post in the OFFA Forum, for whatever reason, and that the whole thread consequently disappeared.  I based my conjecture on the identical appearance of the OFFA Forum and the Web Hosting Forum at that point in time.   Namely, they both just had the little box with the arrow, and no latest post data.  The Web Forum Hosting Forum has had posts since this event, so it again appears normal.  As of this writing, the OFFA Forum has not had any new posts since this alleged deletion event, and one still sees the little box with the arrow and no latest post data.

To confirm my hypothesis, I went to the old IP-based site, which has an older version of the OFFA Forum, and compared page one (more would not have been necessary) of each version with one another.  Sure enough, there was a thread missing from the newer version.  This missing thread is titled "Focal Point Academy in Mesquite Nevada."  It was started by a new user named "bearman" and to my knowledge, I believe this was his/her only post to date.  As of the image archived on the IP-based site, there had been 4 views and no replies to this post.  The post was originally made on March 14th, 2007, at 1:13 AM.  The latest posting to this forum (on the IP-based site) was made later the same day at 4:08 AM in another thread.  I added that latter piece of information as a potential piece of relative information:  I do not know exactly when the IP-based site was archived.

The thought occured to me, and it may or may not be coincidental, that perhaps the reason I ended up wiping the entire thread in my own case had something to do with the fact that I was the original poster of that thread ("Minor Issue, perhaps..").  Perhaps bearman decided against leaving his/her post up inquiring about info on Focal Point and decided to delete his/her post, and consequently that particular thread was wiped off of Fornits.  And leaving the strange appearance of the OFFA Forum on the Index.

The "Minor Issue, perhaps..." thread, coincidentally, was precisely about the strange appearance of the OFFA Forum on the Index (little box with the arrow and no latest post data).  Perhaps, it turned out to be not such a minor issue after all.

Another issue I mentioned was that I had recently noticed some "test" threads which appeared in the OFFA Forum for a brief period after we had come back online (from a long time down).  I couldn't find those threads anymore, and wondered whether their deletion had contributed or were just silently included in this entire scenario.

Hope I covered everything.  Seem to think I may have missed something...

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 01:01:53 AM »
ok ill try to replicate the problem and get back with ya! :)
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 01:02:59 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I'm a little confused about all of this...would you mind rehashing everything from the very beginning? Thanks.

lol smartass!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 01:09:25 AM »
Quote from: ""webdiva""

lol smartass!

Gee, K., I had thought that original query might have been you?   :lol:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 01:38:46 AM »
lol hope i woulda let you know AND I wouldnt ask ya to start from the beginning if i ever do just shoot me on the spot! lol

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 01:40:33 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
Quote from: ""webdiva""

lol smartass!

Gee, K., I had thought that original query might have been you?   :lol:  :rofl:  :rofl:

LOL I didnt even realize you did explain it all again cuz of that post. yeah if i ask something like that ill make sure you know its me :") although the clarification helped a bit but still! LOL :)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 01:56:22 AM »
:rofl:  :rofl:
I'm beginning to feel a little like having to tell my confession all over again for the umpteenth time!  No matter.  Wanton deletion of entire threads is serious business and I'm happy to reiterate 'till Kingdom come if it helps resolve anything...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 08:49:27 AM »
So what I'm hearing you say here is that there's been some trouble with the forum.. maybe you could elaborate a little.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Missing Thread
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 08:52:50 AM »
So what I'm hearing you say here is that there's been some trouble with the forum.. maybe you could elaborate a little.