Author Topic: Do they have the ability...  (Read 1218 times)

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Do they have the ability...
« on: March 09, 2007, 03:39:15 PM »
"The mantra is break the kid down so you can build him back up."

The staff goons with no qualifications working in programs can break a kid down easily enough, but are they able to "build him back up?  That takes considerably more skill and education than many counselors in programs have.  What does "building them back up" entail, and how many kids just end up broken?  I can think of at least three I know personally who missed out on the "building up"

If a program won't give curriculum vitae on the staff who spend the most time with your kids, they're shit.  If you put your kid in a program without getting information on the staff, you're shit.

Regulate them out of existence.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 05:05:01 PM »
It wouldn't matter if all of their staff were of the highest qualification and rarest pedigree. Nobody on this planet knows how to build a human being. That's why it's such a bad idea to intentionally or carelessly break them.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 10:33:06 PM »
Quote from: ""Antigen's Ghost""
It wouldn't matter if all of their staff were of the highest qualification and rarest pedigree. Nobody on this planet knows how to build a human being. That's why it's such a bad idea to intentionally or carelessly break them.

Thank you. I've been wondering how to articulate that exact same feeling forever.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 04:08:06 AM »
They try to break kids... but it doesn't work on all kids. Don't assume we are all innocent child like angels and can'[t handle ourselves. Don't forget the staff of these places are fucking stupid.. it's not hard to see past their bullshit.. even as a teenager.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 01:33:49 PM »
While it's true that not all kids are angles they are not immune  to the effects of mistreatment in an environment that has total control over their life... however long the period may be.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 03:12:43 PM »
Based on my step daughter's experience and the experiences of other kids who went through PV, the staff rewards bullying of others.  It makes their job easier "breaking down" the kids who are aready "broken down".  An aggresive sort sent to the program will quickly identify the weaker kids, like the eating disorder and depressive patients.  They go to work on them and the counselors consider it "working the program" when the bullying teen calls confrontation sessions regularly.

There are a lot of kids who move fairly quickly through PV by preying on the weak, and in no way are they broken down.  I read their MySpaces, most of them consider the program a joke and the counselors idiots who were easily "manipulated".  They're mostly very wealthy and privileged and continuing the habits that got them sent to a program in the first place, like the PV alumnus who overdosed and was hidden in a car trunk when her associates realized she was dead.  

These are the kids considered "success" stories, the ones who attend the alumni groups.  It's all appearance, like one PV alumni who still attends AA meetings and heads out to the clubs for drinks later.  The rewards of hypocrisy.  I guess the point is that none of these kids, the weak or the strong, got anything out of the program.  The truly suffering kids become further traumatized and end up with a fear of treatment, and given their experiences, I can't blame them for distrusting so-called "professionals".
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"