Author Topic: Obsidian Trails Wilderness program  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Matt C. Hoffman

• View Profile
Obsidian Trails Wilderness program
« on: January 16, 2002, 10:30:00 PM »
Anyone out there know about Obsidian Trails of Oregon ?

It was in the Registar Guard (the news paper of Eugene ,Oregon) in 2000 or 2001 a child died as a result of being restrained by having people sit on him .Wondering if anyone has heard of this place .

Sorry I can't be more spacific about the year this incident happened.

Matt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2002, 11:30:00 AM »
Yes, Sir.  Thank you for bring this up.

On Monday, September 18, 2000 at 7:00pm, William "Eddie" Lee, 15 of Scappoose stopped breathing.  It happened during an outing of the Obsidian Trails Willderness School based in Bend.  He was being restrained by two camp counselors when he stopped breathing.

Per the article dated January 24, 2001 from The AP : "Lee was being restrained by two camp counselors when he stopped breathing. His mother, Lynn McAward, has filed a $1.5 million wrongful death lawsuit against Obsidian Trails. Neither of the counselors was indicted, and the organization says that the counselors were trained to handle such incidents."

Let me point out the differences of tone of the report posted on struggling teens.com site, (Woodbury Reports) from Obsidian Trails...
"At approximately 7:00 p.m. on Monday September 18, a student stopped breathing for undetermined reasons.  CPR was administered immediately by trained staff and Airlife of Oregon was called following established emergency protocols.  The student was airlifted to St. Charles Hospital and subsequently died while undergoing emergency treatment."

and

"One of our staff is under investigation in the accidental death of the student.  Our own investigators has shown that all safety procedures and protocols were followed and we are confident that our staff member will be vindicated."

The links are as follows:

http://www.strugglingteens.com/index.shtml#schools

http://www.kxtv.com/news-special/close- ... iantrails/
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2002, 10:29:00 PM »
The thing that strikes me the most about this is that they think that all procedures having been followed somehow excuses their obligation to think about wtf they're doing!

Brian, I know you're probably luring around from time to time. Do you ever get have that wrenching experience of being unable to restrain yourself from thinking about wtf you're doing? I used to have that a lot. Especially when people really broke down and went infantile.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2002, 08:25:00 PM »
If all the procedures were followed, then I guess the facility and not just the individual staff members are responsible then. How about they draw and quarter the whole staff and burn the owners at the stake and let god sort it out.
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2002, 03:03:00 AM »
Sunday, February 3, 2002

Wildnerness school for teens is closed due to improper care: Along with the judge's court order, the state Justice bureau files a racketeering complaint.

By the Associated Press

Bend - More than 30 students at a wilderness school for troubled teen-agers will return home after a Linn County judge found the camp failed to adequately care for several of the teen-agers.

Judge Daniel Murphy ordered the temporary restraining order against Obsidian Schools Wilderness Program on Friday after state investigators concluded counselors did not give appropriate medical attention to four students suffering from infection, frostbite and a ruptured appendix.

The Oregon Department of Justice also filed a racketeering complaint Friday accusing Obsidian's owner and employees of criminal negligence for withholding medical care from four teen-agers in January and causing the death of William "Eddie" Lee in 2000. Last week, the wilderness school reached an out-of-court settlement with Lee's mother.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2002, 07:55:00 PM »
I cannot imagine the pain that Mrs Lee must have for losing her son and my heart goes out to her. (i have a son of my own)

From what I remember of the story that was printed in the Registar Guard,Eddie was restrained by having people sit on him ,I thought this was most absurd.

I am very grateful that this place has been charged ,and temporarily shutdown . One can only wish that this will be a permanent shutdown and will make Oregon an even more beautiful state.

Matt

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2002, 10:54:00 PM »
Eddie Lee was murdered, according to the coroner who listed his cause of death as "homicide." This is exactly what it says on his death certificate.

Yet, not one person has been criminally charged in this matter. What is it going to take to make those who abuse children in the name of treatment, accountable for their behavior?

I read an article in the newspaper recently about a prostitute who was convicted of killing a client by sitting on him. Yes, I said, "sitting on him." He was refusing to pay for services rendered, so she wrestled him to the ground and sat on him. I seem to remember that she weighed about 30 lbs more than him.

There was a significantly more weight difference between Eddie Lee and the male counselor who restrained him. More than a hundred pounds from what I understand.

Where is the justice here?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 10:23:00 PM »
kill now we kill them

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 10:29:00 PM »