Author Topic: Academy at Swift River: Private School or RTC  (Read 14298 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Academy at Swift River: Private School or RTC
« on: February 23, 2007, 12:55:50 PM »
Academy at Swift River is operating as a Private School:

Mohawk Trail Regional School Dist
Wednesday, October 12, 2005
Grant approval for the Private School Application submitted by The Academy at Swift River ? After a presentation by Matthew Hart, Academic Coordinator for The Academy, and on a motion by Marguerite Willis, seconded by Michael Chrisman, the committee voted to approve the Private School Application for The Academy at Swift River.
http://www.mtrsd.k12.ma.us/site/supt/mi ... 101205.htm

Yet, provides group and individual therapy to children who may exhibit defiance and opposition to authority, angry outbursts, lack of confidence, low self-esteem, indications of depression, lying, stealing, and other maladaptive behaviors and traits. Histories may include adoption, divorce, death and other loss issues, or various types of abuse.
Additionally: experimented with drugs and/or alcohol, been sexually promiscuous, are acting out at home and in the classroom, and have shown decreasing respect for themselves and others.
Academically: not reaching their full potential in the classroom, and are often discouraged by learning differences that have never been successfully addressed.

Why has Massachusetts Dept of Early Education and Care allowed this for 10 years when clearly, ASR is an RTC?

102 CMR 3.00: STANDARDS FOR THE LICENSURE OR APPROVAL OF RESIDENTIAL PROGRAMS SERVING CHILDREN AND TEEN PARENTS
http://www.eec.state.ma.us/docs/residential_regs.pdf
DEFINITIONS
Group Care Program . A program or facility that provides care and custody for one or more children by anyone other than a relative by blood, marriage or adoption on a regular 24-hour a day, residential basis. Group care program includes but is not limited to programs serving teen parents under the age of 16 years; transition to independent living programs; private residential schools that provide special services to children with special needs in which children with special needs constitute 30% or more of the school?s population; and group residences or group homes....

Residential Program. A group care, temporary shelter, or transition to independent living program, or a transitional housing program serving teen parents.

Special Services. Any special services provided to children with special needs by a private residential school that are special education services similar to those referred to at 603 CMR 18.05(3)(a) and (b); or social, psychological or psychiatric services; or occupational or physical therapy; or speech or language therapy; or vocational rehabilitation skills; or regular nursing or medical careprovided on site; or self-help skills or activities of daily living training.

Child with special needs. A child who, because of a disability consisting of a developmental delay or an intellectual, sensory, neurological, emotional, communication, physical, specific learning or health impairment or combination thereof, is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program. This may include, but not be limited to, a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.

Massachusetts Department of Education
603 CMR 18.00: Program and Safety Standards for Approved Public or Private Day and Residential Special Education School Programs
LAWS & REGS FOR RESIDENTIAL PROGRAMS
http://www.doe.mass.edu/lawsregs/603cmr ... section=01
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 01:38:20 PM »
Private residential schools not serving special needs children are not considered residential care in Massachusetts.

http://www.eec.state.ma.us/docs/RP%20Li ... ements.pdf

I think what we need to define is special needs children, which is seems you have found, deborah.

I know in the cases of the kids and parents, I talked to, these kids were not classified as special needs by the state they lived in nor in massachusetts.

It seems they may better fall under:
"Private residential school not serving special needs children", which means they would be licensed under other laws, if any.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 02:18:51 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
Private residential schools not serving special needs children are not considered residential care in Massachusetts.

I think what we need to define is special needs children, which is seems you have found, deborah.

I know in the cases of the kids and parents, I talked to, these kids were not classified as special needs by the state they lived in nor in massachusetts.

"Private residential school not serving special needs children", which means they would be licensed under other laws, if any.

What are you, fucking high or something?  If these kids have NO SPECIAL NEEDS why the fuck are they there in the first place?

All these kids are carrying diagnoses (labels) given to them to justify their placement at this facility.  THIS MEANS "SPECIAL NEEDS," dumbass.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 02:19:51 PM »
Who, I don't believe that that the licensing requirements are based on the child being a special needs kid but rather the types of services being provided.

If the program is providing special needs services they should be licensed as such, not as a boarding school which is a private residential school not serving special needs kids.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »

This is one of the most obtuse remarks you've ever made, Scooter.

How are you going to sit there and say that these kids have no special needs, but couldn't make it at home, are "at risk" and requiring structure and therapy?

This is precisely why everyone discounts what you say, Scooter.  On one hand you argue that they have special needs so they need to be sent to a "TBS" and then when you find out the "TBS" needs to be licensed to serve these special needs kids you say "They're not special needs."  What's wrong with you?

If these kids have no special needs, why aren't they at home???  

This is an admission that the kids don't need to be there, Scooter.  Bring 'em home then!
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 03:05:52 PM »
Whoa calm down, DJ, we are not searching for my definition of special needs but how the state perceives it or defines it.

What we were talking about is it appears the licensing in Massachusetts (for our case) hinges on whether or not the kids are classified as special needs by the state.  If they are, then they are bound by the ?Department of Early Education and care? (The Commonwealth of Massachusetts) and would need a Residential license and fall under the category of ?Private residential schools serving Children with special needs?.

If they are not serving kids with special needs then they are not bound by this licensure.

So Deborah found a definition which is as follows:

Child with special needs. A child who, because of a disability consisting of a developmental delay or an intellectual, sensory, neurological, emotional, communication, physical, specific learning or health impairment or combination thereof, is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program. This may include, but not be limited to, a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.

If the state of Massachusetts considers the kids at ASR within this category and categorizes them as ?Special needs?  then they are bound by Licensure.

This isn?t my call, DJ, or yours?we are discussing what these kids fall under.  My child was not categorized as special needs by the state she was in and the parents I spoke to who had children at ASR  were not receiving services in their home state either.  Although this is a small piece of info I am not concluding that ASR fall into either category because I don?t know.  There are probably provisions which allow a small percentage of ?Non? special needs kids to attend and still fall under the restraints of ??Private residential schools serving Children with special needs?.

So what I am saying is do these kids fall under the definition Deborah defined above?  It appears there is an evaluation which will determine this (M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.
) is anyone familiar with this test?  I don?t know if the kids are evaluated to this standard prior to entering, I don?t believe my daughter was, but she was tested while she was at ?SUWS?

Who, I don't believe that that the licensing requirements are based on the child being a special needs kid but rather the types of services being provided.

If the program is providing special needs services they should be licensed as such, not as a boarding school which is a private residential school not serving special needs kids.

Hanzomon4, That is a good point, does anyone know this to be the case.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 03:38:18 PM »
Remove the superfluous text and it should be clear:

A Group Care Program is a program or facility that provides care and custody for one or more children by anyone other than a relative by blood, marriage or adoption on a regular 24-hour a day, residential basis.

Group care program includes private residential schools that provide special services to children with special needs in which children with special needs constitute 30% or more of the school?s population.

Special Services are any services provided to children with special needs by a private residential school that are special education services similar to those referred to at 603 CMR 18.05(3)(a) and (b); or social, psychological or psychiatric services; or self-help skills or activities of daily living training.

A Child with special needs is a child who, because of a disability consisting of a developmental delay or an emotional, communication, specific learning impairment or combination thereof, is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program. This may include, but not be limited to, a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 03:38:28 PM »
Child with special needs. A child who, because of a disability consisting of a developmental delay or an intellectual, sensory, neurological, emotional, communication, physical, specific learning or health impairment or combination thereof, is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program.

Obviously, Whooter, if you sent your kid for "emotional growth" as you've stated many times before, your kid is emotionally disabled.

Common sense dictates that non-special needs kids do not need to go to a special "school" for therapy and "emotional growth."

Also, the regs state very clearly that a facility must be licensed as a Group Care Program if they house only one child.  Or, if it is a private school which houses a population consisting of 30% or more special needs kids, it must also license as a Group Care Program.

Group Care Program . A program or facility that provides care and custody for one or more children by anyone other than a relative by blood, marriage or adoption on a regular 24-hour a day, residential basis. Group care program includes but is not limited to programs serving teen parents under the age of 16 years; transition to independent living programs; private residential schools that provide special services to children with special needs in which children with special needs constitute 30% or more of the school?s population; and group residences or group homes...
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »
A Child with special needs is a child who, because of a disability consisting of a developmental delay or an emotional, communication, specific learning impairment or combination thereof, is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program. This may include, but not be limited to, a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.

Good, I still have a question bear with me....are the children at ASR considered "Special needs" as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00?

Does anyone know the answer?

If they are then they fall into the category needing licensure if not they fall into another category.  This is the key that determines special needs for the state of Massachusetts

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »
What are the specific services rendered to children classified as special needs children?
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 05:09:56 PM »

Good, I still have a question bear with me....are the children at ASR considered "Special needs" as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00? Does anyone know the answer?

Moot point.
A Child with special needs is a child who, because of a  
developmental delay or an
emotional, communication, specific learning impairment
is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program.

This may include, but not be limited to, a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00

Does that help?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 05:24:20 PM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
What are the specific services rendered to children classified as special needs children?

That depends on the school/facility and the needs of the individual children.
The Special Needs rendered at ASR are:
social, psychological or psychiatric services; or self-help skills or activities of daily living training.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 05:27:35 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""

Good, I still have a question bear with me....are the children at ASR considered "Special needs" as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00? Does anyone know the answer?

Moot point.
A Child with special needs is a child who, because of a  
developmental delay or an
emotional, communication, specific learning impairment
is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program.

This may include, but not be limited to, a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00

Does that help?

It helps the normals here, but not TheWho.  He's too dumb to understand this.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »

So its pretty much wide open, its not limited to those who qualify thru the evaluation testing or as defined by the DOE.  So any kids can be considered special needs?that?s interesting.
I know for early intervention (pre-school kids) they rely on the ?Michigan test? as a bench mark (or a doctors recommendation.
) to determine eligibility for services or to be considered for special education.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 10:42:50 PM »
If you still can't comprehend what it's saying... call EEC.