Author Topic: Why Are You at Hyde?  (Read 9202 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 09:01:08 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Sorry.  When it comes to her...I'm still so sad.  And this forum is so anti-Hyde and she is such a special Hyde memory for me.

Hey, it is not anti Hyde, it is brothers keeper tough love.  We would not confront Hyde's bad attitudes if we did not care, would we?  

Emil Nightrate
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2007, 12:42:31 PM »
Sorry.  When it comes to her...I'm still so sad.  And this forum is so anti-Hyde and she is such a special Hyde memory for me.

Hey, it is not anti Hyde, it is brothers keeper tough love.  We would not confront Hyde's bad attitudes if we did not care, would we?  

Emil Nightrate

I think one of Hyde's biggest weaknesses is that it's very good at confronting others' attitudes but has a real hard time accepting challenges to its own.  As it says in the Bible, "physician, heal thyself."  Hyde seems to have a lot to learn about turning the mirror on itself.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »
It is a parasitic entity that feeds on others' good will, naivete, and unfortunate circumstances of vulnerability.  If it had to feed on itself, it would die.  There is not enough there of valid substance to warrant continued existence.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2007, 01:49:45 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
It is a parasitic entity that feeds on others' good will, naivete, and unfortunate circumstances of vulnerability.  If it had to feed on itself, it would die.  There is not enough there of valid substance to warrant continued existence.

Here's my analysis of Hyde's ability to survive:  Every year there's a steady stream of parents who have hit the brick wall and, they think, run out of options with their troubled kid.  They've tried all kinds of schools, counseling, etc.  They ask around, do some searching, and end up hearing that Hyde takes kids like this, especially in the middle of the school year.  Not knowing what else to do and -- this is key -- not knowing about the enormous number of other options out there, the parents look into Hyde, bite the bullet, and sign up.  Hyde's slick materials and the friendly tour by on-track students pull them in.

Then . . . many parents figure out that Hyde is not what they thought.  They discover that the educational quality is lacking and they discover that Hyde isn't the right place considering their kid's needs.  A lot of parents are weirded out by what happens in FLCs.   They discover much too late that there are better options.  

Some parents then turn to professionals who place kids for a living.  It's then that they find out that Hyde is not highly regarded and they hunt for a better place.

This pattern repeats itself year after year.  Some parents stay and many leave.  The tuition stream pays the bills.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2007, 02:02:14 PM »
Did this happen to you?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2007, 03:12:17 PM »
Some parents then turn to professionals who place kids for a living.  It's then that they find out that Hyde is not highly regarded and they hunt for a better place.

Ouch! Chokefucked by Hyde and then sodomized by the ed-cons!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2007, 03:57:30 PM »

Every year there's a steady stream of parents who have hit the brick wall and, they think, run out of options with their troubled kid.

The Family groups used to be like Amway.  There was pressure to find more families/students.  There was a guy in central mass in the 70's that was responsible for bring a bunch of families on board.  He was in the mental health field and knew were to find the crazies.  Hyde/Joe eventually pissed him off and he walked.  I wonder if that was part of hyde going under in the late 70's early 80's.  Joe just kept pissing people off.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2007, 04:39:18 PM »
The Family groups used to be like Amway.  There was pressure to find more families/students.  There was a guy in central mass in the 70's that was responsible for bring a bunch of families on board.  He was in the mental health field and knew were to find the crazies.  Hyde/Joe eventually pissed him off and he walked.  I wonder if that was part of hyde going under in the late 70's early 80's.  Joe just kept pissing people off.

I know exactly who you are talking about.  I think his name was Smith.  But I thought he was kind of a nice guy.  The family had at least two kids at Hyde:  the oldest, Phil, and a younger son, Jamie.  I'm not sure what made the elder Smith walk; I might be out in left field on this, but I am under the impression it was something to do with or during the tenure of the younger son.  The parents divorced not long after this.  One can only speculate the contribution that Hyde made to that turn of events.  I remember that Mrs. Smith was frequently picked on in the family meetings and I have memories of her crying in front of everyone, a LOT, from all the confrontations she had to endure.  I think Dr. Smith probably initially bought into the program just like many of the parents did, with all the best intentions.  And with Phil, things were a little different than they were with Jamie, both from the standpoint of their respective personalities as well as how Hyde was dishing it out.  But the truth will out...

It was my impression that the decision to make Joe a bit more on the sidelines predated Dr. Smith's seeing the light.  If I recall correctly, Joe was still Headmaster and Legg was still Assistant Headmaster during the 1974-75 school year.  The situation was supposed to change the following year, i.e., the 1975-76 school year, with Ed Legg assuming the headmastership and Bob Thurrell becoming the new Assistant Headmaster.  During that time, Joe was to devote more attention to "The Book", as well as the America's Spirit campaign, although this last little impression is a bit more hazy in my memory, as certainly Ed Legg was very involved in America's Spirit...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2007, 04:50:30 PM »

I'm not sure what made the elder Smith walk

It was Joe's book.  One of the kids wrote a story that made Sid look bad in a profesional light.  Sid refused to allow Joe to publish it. Joe tossed the family out.  I believe it was the first time I heared the term "Hitler Youth" used in reference to hyde at the community meeting where the Smiths were excommunicated by his Holiness Joe Pompous I .  Sid made the Hitler remark.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »

I'm not sure what made the elder Smith walk

It was Joe's book.  One of the kids wrote a story that made Sid look bad in a profesional light.  Sid refused to allow Joe to publish it. Joe tossed the family out.  I believe it was the first time I heared the term "Hitler Youth" used in reference to hyde at the community meeting where the Smiths were excommunicated by his Holiness Joe Pompous I .  Sid made the Hitler remark.

Good for Sid (Hitler comment).  When exactly was this?  I guess I don't remember it.