Author Topic: Why Are You at Hyde?  (Read 9201 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 02:03:01 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: ""Ursus""
What happened to Michelle?  She sure was a spark and a half!   :D

(I've been more or less completely out of the loop due to working out my own trauma from Hyde...)

Drug overdose.

I am very sorry to hear that.  I will never forget the time, I think it was summer school, the dining room was still in the mansion, when -- during lunch -- Michelle was laughing a lot, as was her wont to do, bless her heart, and she had this, um, distinctive laugh, which was also very loud, and at one point, almost the whole student body responded to one of her laughs with a chorus of "Baaaa!  Baaaahaaaa!"  It was so funny, everyone laughed and laughed, including Michelle, I hope...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 02:25:48 PM »
Michelle didn't die of an overdose.  She was involved in a motorcycle accident.  She did struggle with drugs, and a bad marriage or two, but was really working things out when she passed away.  Where were you guys for her?  She was only in contact with a couple people from Hyde, because they took the initiative.
So don't bring her into this discussion, because you know nothing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 02:28:25 PM »
Michelle didn't die of an overdose.  She was involved in a motorcycle accident.  She did struggle with drugs, and a bad marriage or two, but was really working things out when she passed away.  Where were you guys for her?  She was only in contact with a couple people from Hyde, because they took the initiative.

I'm sorry. I stand corrected.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 02:32:18 PM »
What happened to Michelle?  She sure was a spark and a half!   :D

(I've been more or less completely out of the loop due to working out my own trauma from Hyde...)

Drug overdose.

If you recall she was one of Joe's favorites.  She was about Blanche's size with long curly black hair.  I am not saying there is a pattern. ;-)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 02:45:35 PM »
Michelle didn't die of an overdose. She was involved in a motorcycle accident. She did struggle with drugs, and a bad marriage or two, but was really working things out when she passed away. Where were you guys for her? She was only in contact with a couple people from Hyde, because they took the initiative.

She was part of our experience, which you do not own, as we do not own your experience.

Lighten up, and get a grip.  It is bad enough that she died without you defiling her memory with pretenses of seriousness.

And what is this baloney?
Where were you guys for her?
Do I chastize you for not being there for me?  Perhaps you didn't know to be there.  Perhaps I didn't know to be there for you.  Perhaps none of us here knew to be there for Michelle.  I don't know you, and you don't know me, although it is quite probable, given the time reference, that we did know each other once upon a time.

Life sucks alot of the time.  And it is way too short to be taking offense where none was intended.  You do not own Michelle, or her memory, or the right to remember her in any way seen fit by anybody.  You of all people should know that, if you really knew Michelle.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 02:50:30 PM »
Sorry.  When it comes to her...I'm still so sad.  And this forum is so anti-Hyde and she is such a special Hyde memory for me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 02:54:55 PM »

I'm sorry. I stand corrected.

She died in a crash just after coming out of rehab.  She definitely belongs in a discussion about the efficacy of Hyde.  She was the apple of Joe's eye, the subject of many Joe meetings.  The Miracle Worker was staged with her starring as Helen chiefly because Hyde felt that the educational achievement with MC was on a par with that of Annie Sullivan and Helen.  She was a wild uncontrollable child before she came to Hyde.  She was proof of Joe's wisdom. She walked out of Hyde arguably no better than she went in.  Of course she belongs in a discussion about Hyde.
  She was out of Hyde a year, working in a variety store unable to put a dancing gig together.  Hyde made her think she was going to dance for a living.  The reality emotionally shattered her.  Because she was unable to recreate the thing that gave her identity at Hyde she slipped into abusive relationships and drug abuse.

And somewhere between the time you arrive
And the time you go
May lie a reason you were alive
But you'll never know

As a Hebrew prophet tells us "the wisdom of God surpasses the understanding of man" so in fact you will never know even though the secular god of Hyde may want you to think you can drive that wisdom at the feet of Joe.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 03:09:28 PM »
She was actually the apple of Ed's eye.
She was at Emerson in Boston, dancing.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 03:17:42 PM »
Quote from: ""guest""
Sorry. When it comes to her...I'm still so sad. And this forum is so anti-Hyde and she is such a special Hyde memory for me.

Let's be clear on one thing:  there is Hyde and everything it stands for on the one hand, and there are the people who went there and/or are still associated with it on the other.  Two very different entities.  

I am very anti-Hyde given the abusive bullshit I endured and witnessed, not to mention the maturing that I've undergone since I left which has developed into a philosophical antipathy to coercive techniques, witch hunts, and mob mentality.  There are certain people that I find difficult to seperate out from that antipathy, and perhaps rightfully so, as they are linked by virtue of their responsibilities as administrators and faculty of the institution while I was there.  Of course, some of these people were and are victims of the Kool-Aid as well.  And I have read some posts in here of former faculty that felt remorse and repugnance for what they involved themselves with.  And I feel for them.  And I suppose, on some level, I could feel bad for Gauld and Legg too, but it is pretty difficult.  They don't seem to feel any remorse.  In Gauld's case, he's still dishing  out the bullshit.

Michelle is part of my special memories of the time I was at Hyde as well.  I have lots of special memories of that time.  But I have absolutely no confusion over why those memories are special, and they certainly are not special to me because of any fondness in my heart towards the institution of Hyde School.  Lets make sure we don't confuse the people with the process.  They are not the same thing.

One of the reasons this website has been so valuable and healing for me has been not only the discussions of why what happened to us was wrong, but also the rehashing of old times, so to speak.  It is important to people!   :D   And hopefully, regardless of your position on Hyde, you will be able to get at least that much out of it here too!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 03:37:50 PM »

How long did she last at Emerson?  A buddy of mine ran into her in 198?. She was working at the Store 24. She had dropped out and was trying to get into working shows.  It was not going well.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 03:43:33 PM »
This has been a most interesting and lively discussion. I want to thank all the participants on this thread. But it is getting late in Jerusalem. Layla tov!

Mike

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 03:45:42 PM »

But I have absolutely no confusion over why those memories are special, and they certainly are not special to me because of any fondness in my heart towards the institution of Hyde School. Lets make sure we don't confuse the people with the process.

Exactly.  I have some very fond memories, but teasing it out from the process is hard.  Especially when there are people that you like that are offended that you disagree with the nature of the process.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 03:50:13 PM »

How long did she last at Emerson?  A buddy of mine ran into her in 198?. She was working at the Store 24. She had dropped out and was trying to get into working shows.  It was not going well.

Too bad about Emerson.  From what little I know of the school, it seems like that would have been an ideal place for her.

In the 1980's, that neighborhood was pretty brutal.  Back then, the Combat Zone was a bit larger and was still trying to eat up the Theater district.  Hopefully she did not work at the Store 24 right next to Emerson, which became Store 18 at one point given all the robberies.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 04:06:29 PM »
This has been a most interesting and lively discussion. I want to thank all the participants on this thread. But it is getting late in Jerusalem. Layla tov!

Mike

'Night, Mike!  thank you for starting it!   :wave:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are You at Hyde?
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2007, 04:39:24 PM »

Too bad about Emerson.  From what little I know of the school, it seems like that would have been an ideal place for her.

In the 1980's, that neighborhood was pretty brutal.  Back then, the Combat Zone was a bit larger and was still trying to eat up the Theater district.  Hopefully she did not work at the Store 24 right next to Emerson, which became Store 18 at one point given all the robberies.

Oh yeah,

Good Time Charlie's on LaGrange is an art gallery now.  The Two O'Clock ( made famous in part by the Tom Waits song Pasties and a G string:
http://www.officialtomwaits.com/music/m ... d_G_String
)
The Teddy Bear, the Naked Eye .... all gone.    Money trumps sex.  Real Estate is too expensive in downtown Boston.  
 There were great parties at Emerson.  I knew MC was downtown there some where.  I was hoping to run into her but she was in and out of view so to speak.  It was rough down there in the 80's.  I have some scars to prove it. There but before the Grace of God go I. Drunk in the combat zone a 3:00 am is not a recipe for good health.  I have no idea why I am still alive but I have survived to tell the tail perhaps like Ishmael.