Author Topic: When is HLA finally going to close???  (Read 6724 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
When is HLA finally going to close???
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 12:42:23 PM »
Quote from: ""happyday7""
I promise you that the Judge will not certify this class even though he needs to. He is a very conservative judge from what I hear. The only thing that the lawsuit has done is to hurt enrollment at HLA. Lack of the # of students is what I think will force a decision to close the school if it comes to that. That is just my opinion. With a couple of peer groups I think that should graduate in May 2007, that should hurt them more than they can recover. Just a guess at this point.

Happyday7 - You're wrong about one thing. The lawsuit is NOT to blame for HLA's troubles; HLA is to blame for HLA's troubles. The lawsuit just revealed the truth.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 01:52:22 PM »
Exactly. They were warned this would happen if they didnt stop doing what they were doing. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Len since we know youre reading this take this message to heart.

What's happening now is your fault. You brought this on yourself.

Offline happyday7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 03:51:24 PM »
I totally agree. The way I worded that was wrong. I 200% agree that HLA is responsible for their own troubles. I just meant that since the lawsuit has not been certified yet, it is at least helping to shine the light on HLA and what they have been doing and exposing some of the wrongs done to students and their families. When you listen to Ed Cons, you are trusting in what they tell you because you are  making what you believe to be a  good faith decision that you are being told will help your child. Once you get there, you really see what it is all about.
ET ER DONE

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 07:39:12 PM »
The good thing about the law suit is that it has forced Len to allow many of the changes that his staff had been calling for for years.  Len hates having to make changes,  but the kids are the ones who benefit.  If HLA does survive, it will now be a place that is approved of by the state and watched by oversight agencies.  In fact it may be the most highly credentialed TBS in the country if it survives, an issue that HLA will likely market to ed cons and parents.  How ironic it would be if all of this made HLA the most succeful TBS in the industry.  With state approval and everything.  I am not saying that I think this will happen, I am just saying it would be very ironic.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 07:58:16 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
The good thing about the law suit is that it has forced Len to allow many of the changes that his staff had been calling for for years.

What changes are you referring to specifically?

In fact it may be the most highly credentialed TBS in the country if it survives, an issue that HLA will likely market to ed cons and parents.

How so? Please elaborate.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 09:59:51 PM »
HLA is now being required to be licensed by the state.  From what I understand they are close to having all requirements met.  I don't know of any other TBS's that are state licensed.  Maybe there are some and I just don't know it.  If they are in fact the only one, then it will be a huge marketing tool.

When that happens the debate will of course turn to whether or not TBS's are a good idea in general.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 10:09:10 PM »
I am sure all the other TBS?s are watching, especially Aspen Group.  If the licensing increases their market share I am sure the other schools will try to follow suit (or might have to to survive long term)?.this could be a great step in raising the bar???This will prove interesting as it unfolds.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 10:39:10 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
I am sure all the other TBS?s are watching, especially Aspen Group.  If the licensing increases their market share I am sure the other schools will try to follow suit (or might have to to survive long term)?.this could be a great step in raising the bar???This will prove interesting as it unfolds.

If that happens then I would say the people on this site would have done a great job.  They would have changed the industry for the better and forced them to have oversight and accountability.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 10:56:56 PM »
Emphasize the word forced. HLA didnt choose this and they fought it tooth and nail. Not something they can easily wear as a badge of honor.

Not that it matters, they wont be around much longer anyway.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 11:43:19 PM »

If that happens then I would say the people on this site would have done a great job.  They would have changed the industry for the better and forced them to have oversight and accountability.

Hear,Hear?.Yes and we can finally get past this mentality that the industry never changes or grows and that all the schools are the same..... we are witnessing change and improvement and the kids will benefit from it across the industry as it spreads.  It is a good thing that HLA does this and sets a new standard.  Even if they are not in business that much longer it is a crucial step and hopefully other schools see this.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 11:57:35 PM »
HLA is now being required to be licensed by the state.  From what I understand they are close to having all requirements met.  I don't know of any other TBS's that are state licensed.  Maybe there are some and I just don't know it.  If they are in fact the only one, then it will be a huge marketing tool.

When that happens the debate will of course turn to whether or not TBS's are a good idea in general.

While there are too many programs that aren't licensed, there are a good number of licensed TBSs, particularly in Utah.
With the largest population of TBSs, RTCs, Wilderness programs, they're all required to be licensed, and have been for some years. Utah has the best regs in the country. Now... getting Stettler (ol industry man) to enforce them is another matter. Georgia really needs to think about updating their regs. Pretty antiquated, but better than nothing.

Being licensed can certainly increase your public appeal, unless you rack up too many violations, which are posted publicly. And don't ya know, people will be watching and reporting violations. Too many violations and you're out of business. Double-edged sword in that respect.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 12:04:57 AM »
Quote from: "TheWho"
Quote from: "Guest"
It is a good thing that HLA does this and sets a new standard.

You mean, finally submit to the State's demand to apply for licensure or cease operating? After lying to the state twice about services provided to avoid regulation, like your beloved ASR. Talk about your classic ODD. Is there a program for program owners?

Yes, let's give them an award for being a trendsetter in the industry.  :roll:  
And aren't they all just dying to do what's best for the kids.  :roll:

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 01:44:17 AM »
I've had my eyes opened to the reality of state licensing and it fails in many ways. To put it simply it's hard to get programs to live up to state regs and the regulators don't provided adequate oversight.

The good thing is that you can strangle a program when they get to comfortable with a laissez-faire licensure, thats the idea anyway.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 07:24:40 AM »
Let's get one thing very clear: HLA did NOT willingly apply for licensure as has been pointed out.

DHR/ORS point blank told them they could no longer continue operating as they had been and HLA had to apply for a license as a Residential Childcare Facility or cease operating. There was no willingness on their part to become licensed so please don't make them into some type of martyr and insinuate that they are an industry leader. BTW - Ridge Creek is licensed, but that didn't prevent Ridge Creek from getting cited for a ton of violations.

Bottom line - HLA had years to get it right, but instead they fought being licensed by DHR/ORS (something that has been pointed out numerous times). If there's so much concern for the children, why would the owner fight being licensed by an agency whose only concern it to protect children? It just doesn't add up unless there's too much to hide.

Note to "The Who": Why are you bringing up Aspen? Is that because Aspen is considering buying HLA? That's been rumored. Maybe you're just confirming it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 08:48:54 AM »
Regardless of whether or not they have been forced into this, it is going to end up being an incredible marketing tool for them.  IF they can financially survive this law suit (and that's a big if) then they will have something that sets them apart from most other TBS's.