Author Topic: Discovery Academy - Provo, UT  (Read 15760 times)

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
Discovery Academy - Provo, UT
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:48:21 PM »
If anyone has any information about this school in Utah, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you in advance...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 09:15:07 PM »
My former husband is wanting to send our 16 year old son there.  I need real info, not website jargon...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:52:36 PM »
As discussed in the other Discovery Academy thread, a boy was raped with a broom handle there. Here's more information about that particular facility.

http://www.isaccorp.org/discoveryacadem ... 03.06.html
http://www.isaccorp.org/discoveryacadem ... 29.06.html
http://www.isaccorp.org/discoveryacadem ... 09.02.html

Mel: It generally takes people a long time to understand the underlying philosophy behind these places, and you don't want any jargon, so I'll give it to you straight.

You do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, want your son in this facility or any other "behavior modification" facility, particularly in Utah. It is an absolute guarantee that he will be humiliated and made to think less of himself. The entire underlying structure of this place, particularly since it's in NATSAP (a network of abusive camps- perhaps Deborah or TSW can give you more information about that), is built around breaking wills and destroying hopes.

I strongly recommend that you direct his father to www.isaccorp.org , www.helpatanycost.com , or this forum. Despite your differences, he may be just as shocked as you are.

I'm also sending you a Private Message with additional contact information.

I'm very glad you've come to this board and I hope that your husband doesn't do something irrevocable that he might regret.

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
My son is in a rehab facility at present.  His counselors keep praising NATSAP.  The only places they recommend are from their website.  This industry, besides being unregulated, seems to pray upon those whose emotions are high and hopes are low.  The industry hopes to be a rainmaker, and yet is concerned with $$ and power...

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 10:41:52 PM »
Yes, if PSYBORGUE is out there, I would love to here from him.  As I mentioned in my prior missive, my former husband is believing, without question, everything that is being said in the rehab facility.  I question everything - not sure if that is just being curious or obnoxious.....At any rate, this information has been so very helpful.  My plan would be to utilize community resources and learn to be the best parent I can be to my son.  That plan has been met with limited, if no success, as you may well imagine.  

Where has common sense gone???

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:46:35 PM »
I guess I spoke too soon....Common sense everywhere....And no, not smoking here, just eating ice cream....

It just seems to me that people have accepted the practice of oursourcing parenting, much like house cleaning.  I still think of it as a duty to be the best parent I can be.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Discovery Academy - Provo, UT
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 10:49:02 PM »
Quote from: ""mel0731""
Yes, if PSYBORGUE is out there, I would love to here from him.  As I mentioned in my prior missive, my former husband is believing, without question, everything that is being said in the rehab facility.  I question everything - not sure if that is just being curious or obnoxious.....At any rate, this information has been so very helpful.  My plan would be to utilize community resources and learn to be the best parent I can be to my son.  That plan has been met with limited, if no success, as you may well imagine.  

Where has common sense gone???

Whoa... Did i hear my name being called.  Yes.. i am here.  Questions galore i am here to answer..

First of all.  You are most definately not insane or obnoxious.  You are right to question everything.

hold on a sec and let me read the thread.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 10:53:05 PM »
Thanks for hopping on....What do you know about the Discovery Academy?  My understanding is that the owners were once with Provo Canyon.  Any truth to that?  Is it true that the main facility is a run-down Holiday Inn??  Why do you have to sign up for six months?  Sorry, I was a bit on a roll...

Mel

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 10:55:08 PM »
Have a good night....

mel

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 10:55:21 PM »
Yeah.. Okey dokey.  You don't want to send your kid away from home... and most DEFINATELY not to a NATSAP school..

Some dirt on natsap from my own website

Please look at this information on discovery.   And i urge you not to hesitate in hitting your husband over the head with a suitably heavy object...

Oh dear... so what is your kid doing now?  smoking pot?  having sex?  drinking?  wearing black nail-polish?  Listening to Marilyn Manson?  Serious questions actually.  Lots of kids get sent away for these reasons...
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 10:57:07 PM »
My son is in a rehab facility at present.  His counselors keep praising NATSAP.  The only places they recommend are from their website.

They get paid to refer.  Advertising dollars at the very least.

This industry, besides being unregulated, seems to pray upon those whose emotions are high and hopes are low.  The industry hopes to be a rainmaker, and yet is concerned with $$ and power...

It's called "snake oil"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 11:01:45 PM »
What facility is your son in at the moment?

(In all likelihood, there's going to be a loud chorus of "Get him out NOW", and I intend for the chorus to be adequately informed.)

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 11:05:54 PM »
First, let's remember this is my FORMER husband.  Hitting is not allowed....

My son is classified as an addict.  He used weed, alcohol, Rx drugs and mushrooms.  No nail polish or Marilyn.  In fact, he is a very compliant kid.  

Snake oil is a good term.  And they sell it by the gallons...

mel

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 11:07:15 PM »
Thanks for hopping on....What do you know about the Discovery Academy?  My understanding is that the owners were once with Provo Canyon.  Any truth to that?  Is it true that the main facility is a run-down Holiday Inn??  Why do you have to sign up for six months?

Two questions... then i expect you will be able to answer your own:

When does the refund period expire?  im guessing a week max..
How long after placement can't you talk to your son? i'm guessing a month or so.

now:  Why do you have to sign up for six months?

clear yet?

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 11:08:05 PM »
My son is at the Sundown Ranch in TX.  It is a residential treatment facility for teens and young adults....