Author Topic: Be strong  (Read 6427 times)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Be strong
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 10:51:10 PM »
I know this was from a few pages ago, but I'm just catching up:

How do you wake somebody up from that, though? I don't think it's really possible to surely unbrainwash someone. I think you can try. My dad snapped out of it and I can make an educated guess or three as to why. My mom and most of my older brothers and sisters never have and I can't imagine why. Anybody understand that at all? Please fill me in.

There is this incredibly cheesy TV movie from ages ago called Ticket To Heaven. It's apparently based on a true story (for what that's worth)  and it's about a guy who gets caught up in a cult, and then his friends and family kidnap him, lock him in a room, and deprogram him with the help of a "professional" deprogrammer. I remember seeing the film and thinking "damn, the deprogramming stuff was just as bad as the cult stuff." But that's a movie. Have no idea if real shit like that happens. So I guess I have no point. (surprise.)

What do we plan to do to make it a bright better tommorrow and all that happy horse shite?

Whatever it is, I think ducks need to be involved somehow.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Be strong
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 12:44:18 AM »
Quote from: ""try another castle""
a "professional" deprogrammer

*blinks*

I wonder how rich one of those would get, hanging around this board?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Be strong
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 12:52:02 AM »
350-/oz medicinal quality
60/oz mexi
pack of seeds and patience.. priceless.

best deprogrammer around

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Be strong
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 11:47:45 PM »
Well, I just decided to take a day or two off and indulge myself. Now my shoulders hurt from sitting here typing for so long.

But what do you mean what do we do? We're doing it. When all these sites started cropping up just a few years ago, nobody I talked to but a rare few could wrap their minds around this whole thing. That's changing somewhat. I think there are more people bouncing around who have some direct contact w/ the industry, but also there's kind of a growing generalized anxiety over all things toughlove and zerotolerance. Anything you can think of to generate a little more buzz, that'd be cool!
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
Be strong
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 03:06:04 AM »
I'm sorry I don't think this is about the middleground.
In fact I don't think there is a middleground to be occupied.

Some people look at this business as a sort of sliding scale. Hardcore in your face bootcamp style large group awareness therapy etc at the one end and softly softly "power of nature" sobfests at the other, and somewhere in the the middle is the ground for compromise.
That ain't so.
There are three assumptions that underpin the ethical framework of the teenhelp industry
1) children are not entitled to due process before incarceration
2) it is okay to recondition a child that does not want to be reconditioned
3) A window of loss is acceptable.

There is no middle ground, there is only evil and not evil.

I'm sorry in order to buy into these programs you have to accept the above and if you do then point blank you are my enemy. I will have no compromise with you. I will fight you until all of your works and all of your evil is dust.
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
Be strong
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 03:11:46 AM »

There is this incredibly cheesy TV movie from ages ago called Ticket To Heaven. It's apparently based on a true story (for what that's worth)  and it's about a guy who gets caught up in a cult, and then his friends and family kidnap him, lock him in a room, and deprogram him with the help of a "professional" deprogrammer. I remember seeing the film and thinking "damn, the deprogramming stuff was just as bad as the cult stuff." But that's a movie. Have no idea if real shit like that happens. So I guess I have no point. (surprise.)

Deprogramming can be extremely brutal if it needs to be done fast. I knew a guy professionally who'd spent a long time as a "guest" of some of our Irish Republican friends. This guy could be described as "Hardened" and after some considerable time in their company they basically rewired him. It took two years of counselling and medication before we got the poor guy back.
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Be strong
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 04:27:08 AM »
Quote from: ""MightyAardvark""

Deprogramming can be extremely brutal if it needs to be done fast. I knew a guy professionally who'd spent a long time as a "guest" of some of our Irish Republican friends. This guy could be described as "Hardened" and after some considerable time in their company they basically rewired him. It took two years of counselling and medication before we got the poor guy back.

It sounds like this was more of a therapy thing. The deprogramming thing they depicted in the movie was incredibly heavy handed and confrontational. A lot like a rap. Especially since they kidnapped him against his will and kept him locked in a room. It was one of those things where they expected a very fast result. But like I said, it was a movie.