Author Topic: Q?: Gary Kent  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Q?: Gary Kent
« on: February 08, 2007, 03:49:19 PM »
Anybody remember Gary Kent?  He used to be the wrestling coach for awhile... And isn't there now a gym facility on the Bath or Woodstock campus named after him?  Emil?  Mike?

I have recently come across some disturbing old news items linking Gary Kent to some of the WWASPs programs (see elsewhere on this forum).  Since his name isn't exactly the most unusual, I wish to rule out the possibility that there are two Gary Kents working in the teenage emotional growth industry.

Could anyone fill me in on his whereabouts in the years since the mid 1970's?  I do know for certain that he operated a program called Outpost at the Wolf Creek Wilderness School in Georgia in late 1991, which looks kind of like a 28-day program hiking out into the wilderness for troubled youth.  There is also a Gary Kent, associated with a Theresa Kent, that is associated with at least two of the wilderness programs in Montana.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Q?: Gary Kent
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:20:39 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
Anybody remember Gary Kent?  He used to be the wrestling coach for awhile... And isn't there now a gym facility on the Bath or Woodstock campus named after him?  Emil?  Mike?

I have recently come across some disturbing old news items linking Gary Kent to some of the WWASPs programs (see elsewhere on this forum).  Since his name isn't exactly the most unusual, I wish to rule out the possibility that there are two Gary Kents working in the teenage emotional growth industry.

Could anyone fill me in on his whereabouts in the years since the mid 1970's?  I do know for certain that he operated a program called Outpost at the Wolf Creek Wilderness School in Georgia in late 1991, which looks kind of like a 28-day program hiking out into the wilderness for troubled youth.  There is also a Gary Kent, associated with a Theresa Kent, that is associated with at least two of the wilderness programs in Montana.

Thanks.

During its 40 years, Hyde has perhaps experienced its greatest athletic glory in wrestling. Walk into the new Gary Kent Wrestling Center on the Bath campus and you can taste the tradition. We had a stretch in the late 70s and early 80s when we were pretty close to invincible. Victories over large schools like Andover, Deerfield, Exeter, and Northfield-Mt. Hermon became almost ho-hum.

LINK here

The new wrestling room at Hyde School in Bath had been named in honor of Gary Kent. Kent, who past away from cancer, is a member of the Maine Wrestling Hall of Fame. He was a mover and shaker during the 1960-70s, promoting the sport, through out the entire state. Working closely with the National AAU office in Indianapolis, Kent was able to gain one of the eight national sites for the visiting Soviet National Junior team. The 1974 meet between the Soviet all-stars and the Maine freestyle champions, marked the arrival of international wrestling in the state. Kent was the moving force. The meet became a state-wide media event. Pre-meet festivities, the actual meet, and the post-meet gathering became front page news. The Gannet papers were foremost in the list of sponsors. The Soviets crushed the Maine stars, but it really didn?t matter, because wrestling in Maine had come of age. And Gary Kent had seen his dream come true.

LINK here

Gary was a well liked guy.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 04:45:48 PM »
Yes, I'd really like to rule out the "other" Gary Kent.  But I need info re. the Hyde Gary Kent esp. during the 1990's.  thnx
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 07:48:10 PM »
Gary was much respected as a wrestling and football coach.  I don't miss Hyde much, but I did enjoy playing football for Gary.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:07:27 PM »
Quote from: ""Lars""
Gary was much respected as a wrestling and football coach.  I don't miss Hyde much, but I did enjoy playing football for Gary.

Hyde knew that Gary was well liked which is probably why they thought they could get lots of $$$ for using his name to get donations.  They are very slick when it comes to fundraising.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 08:17:02 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

Hyde knew that Gary was well liked which is probably why they thought they could get lots of $$$ for using his name to get donations.  They are very slick when it comes to fundraising.

Hey,

Maybe they should fund raise for the Henry Milton twin woodsheds, one at each end of campus.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 08:53:33 PM »

Hey Lars, welcome back.  You had great stuff to add to this board a while back.  I am happy you are posting again. We missed you

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 09:26:01 PM »
Quote from: "Guest
Hey Lars, welcome back.  You had great stuff to add to this board a while back.  I am happy you are posting again. We missed you[/quote

Yeah, it's been a while.  I've been insanely busy with work and I got most of what I wanted to say off my chest last year.  Seems like the board is picking up a bit as of late.  I'm glad that others are finding it cathartic.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 09:36:08 AM »
Quote from: "Guest
Hey Lars, welcome back.  You had great stuff to add to this board a while back.  I am happy you are posting again. We missed you[/quote

Yeah, it's been a while.  I've been insanely busy with work and I got most of what I wanted to say off my chest last year.  Seems like the board is picking up a bit as of late.  I'm glad that others are finding it cathartic.

Yes Lars, the board has picked up since last year.  What I find very interesting is the posts from students from the 70's.  It amazes me that 30 years later kids and parents are complaining about the same mistreatment and yet Hyde School is still in existance.  I suppose as long as there are desperate parents there will be programs like Hyde School.  

Looking through these posts tells me that there have been many more lawsuits, (probably settled) than we know about.  I've seen posts about rapes of both males and females as well as Hyde's own staff being involved in some of this, some of who are still at Hyde.  Guess this is Joe Gauld's arrogance.  He is going to change the world and change the behavior of all these Perps.