Author Topic: What's going on in my world  (Read 1936 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
What's going on in my world
« on: April 10, 2003, 12:50:00 PM »
After 3 tries and 12 long years, I have finally begun recieving my SSDI benefits.  I qualify for them because I have bipolar disorder, more commonly known as Manic/Depression.  Since I have been working from the age of sixteen, I get a pretty hefty allotment coming in, plus I am able to earn an additional $780 a month as well.

I have shown signs of this ailment as far back as when I was just 10 years old.  When I was 15, it was misdiagnosed by dumbass family members and nosy neighbors as having a "bad attitude" and the normal adolescent drug use to gain acceptance and avoid bus-stop ass whuppings were blown out of proportion.  Thank God, Mary, Joseph and Sonny Boy Jesus for the wonderful folks at Straight Inc.
Not only did they cure me of my bad attitude, they managed to magically teach me extraordinarily unhealthy ways to suppress a naturally occuring form of mental illness!!! :silly:  :silly:

Now twenty three years later, I am given a new lease on life.  I will be putting some serious money into my sorely neglected car for starters.
Next thing is to find a part time job that I can
truly enjoy.  I no longer have to kiss anyones ass ever again, just to keep getting a paycheck.
I am looking into continuing education as well.
I plan on attending some kind of graphic arts/drawing and painting classes and I really want to learn how to draw with a process ink pen.
The next step is working up a portfolio and eventually working into being published.  For peace of mind, I am signing up for guitar lessons at the newly opened Johnny B's in downtown St. Pete.

Rather than sit around and blame everything else for my problems, I explored all my options and went with the best things I had available.  I started the year 2002 unemployed and emotionally wrecked.  Luckily I had Unemployment Compensation and a damn good ex-job that had to pay it.  I took advantage of my disorder and signed up for Vocational Rehabilitation which paid for bi-monthly EMDR sessions with a really good therapist.  I also got a car expense allowance and money for work clothes.  I did my stint as a school bus driver and faced the inevitable discrimination and subsequent bullshit discharge which only strengthened my case with Voc Rehab and speeded up the Social Security decision.

In closing I will have to say YES THERE IS A GOD but he is not MY god, I am merely HIS humble idiot
servant, and please lord, if the folks on that other thread start some kind of holy war, could you see fit to strike their incoming lines with some devine lightening to shut them up for a while????             Love, Bob
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 02:48:00 PM »
You may want to check with your local social security office before working while receiving disability.  Technically if you are able to work, your disability is not work prohibitive, hence no disability and no bennies from Uncle Sam.  You may end up owing retroactive back payments for benefits received fraudulantly.  Just friendly words of advice from someone that used to work for the SSA.
 :tup:

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 03:16:00 PM »
That is great Bob - I am very happy for you.  Enjoy life...and have fun hammering out the guitar rifts.

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 07:47:00 PM »
Glad to hear you're enrolling in art classes. What do you like to draw? I'm a portrait painter/people drawing person. Have always been artistically inclined. Also, love to sculpt.
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 08:02:00 PM »
::rocker::

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 08:36:00 PM »
Some good advice someone gave me regarding Art was, "Do it yourself!" Don't waste money in school on developing artistic talent, unless it's for professional purposes. Develope it independently. I took that advice and have been a painter for 10 years so far. On the other hand however, I understand classes help you discipline yourself. Pen and ink is a great median. Just go for it! I think it's awesome you are going back to school though. Speaking of art, Do you have the bumperstickers anymore? Did you get the SASE?
Morli

[ This Message was edited by: Morli on 2003-04-10 17:41 ]

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 09:28:00 PM »
You know 85day, I have known you for 25 years or so, and I have been reading your posts now for some time.  In all honesty, you sound like you are about the most sane of us all...man, what the hell does that say about the rest of us?

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2003, 10:05:00 PM »
Thanks pickleman.  While my mind may still possess intelligence, my emotional make-up is like the first 34 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" and that is why I was awarded benefits.  For instance, I ran into a girl I first met in 1991 when she was a 17 year old runaway just the other day when I dropped off some stickers downtown.  After she left the shop, the owner says
"She really likes you ya moron,! Why did'nt you give her your number?"   I was so caught up in my own little world of doubts that it never occured to me to do something like that.  Oh well, maybe I'll run into her again at the Rock n Roll Swap Meet at the ACL club next Saturday.

We walked in darkness, kept hitting the walls
I took the time to feel for the door
I had been treated, but what the hell for?

[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2003-04-10 19:06 ]

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2003, 09:10:00 AM »
It is good to see someone I know gettting the benefit of my tax dollars. I hate thinking they go to complete strangers!

CL

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2003, 12:04:00 AM »
Actually Clay, it is all my lifetime earnings that are being tapped.  Disability allotment is based on what you put in.  I received absolutely zip from SSI.  It is a 2 sided system that plays good cop/bad cop with one another in an effort to discourage people from obtaining benefits.  In order to "qualify" for SSI, you have to fall down and play dead and earn no money whatsoever for up to 5 months, then they award you.  Of course you are probably sleeping under an overpass by then.

When you file for SSDI, on the other hand, you are still allowed to earn a certain amount and they are thoughtful enough to deduct it from any monies owed from the initial filing of the claim.
It is the Gen Xers still living in their parents basements and selling off their comic book collections for beer money that wind up being awarded SSI.  The funny thing is, the taxes I pay on my part time job will go towards those guys who collect SSI just like your taxes do.  :cry2:

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 09:16:00 AM »
Damn! I'll just have to go back to being a disgruntled tax payer then.

CL