Author Topic: programmies vs. survivors  (Read 6438 times)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
programmies vs. survivors
« on: January 19, 2007, 01:51:48 PM »
Ever wonder what makes someone a programmie and makes someone else a survivor? Well, I obviously do, or else I wouldn't be posting this fucking thread.

Is it arbitrary? Signs point to no, in my opinion. I'm fairly certain I am stating the obvious, here,  but what the fuck do I know?

I personally don't think this is a question of intelligence or level of suggestibility. I know programmies whom I remember as extremely intelligent people. And I myself am highly suggestible, and consider myself a survivor. I could see a commercial on TV for Reeses peanut butter cups and say "You know, that doesn't sound half bad right now. I think I'll go to the corner store and pick myself up some." Even though I am fully aware that the commercial was partially responsible for my craving. (And no, I don't do this with every single commercial. I'd be a fucking blimp by now.)

I think it boils down to identity. The more in conflict someone's identity is with the dogma, the more conflict they will have reconciling it once they get out. There will be a fight to reclaim what has been lost. Some succeed, some flounder, suffer and question themselves, feeling shame and anger about how who they are does not jibe with what they were taught. Some may even develop personality disorders. In all scenarios, there is a conflict with identity, and at least some degree of suffering and trauma.

So how does it work with the programmies? Their identity is in synch with the program. This doesn't mean that that they were not subjected to the same brutal treatment than the others, or "skated by". Rather, the program was in "agreement" with who they are. It didn't create a conflict of character in or out of the program. The programmie willingly accepts the program's modes of conformity because it suits them and their inherent sensibilities. These sensibilities may have not been evident prior to entering a place like CEDU, because, after all, teens are rebellious, but there was something in their belief system that embraced the program on a deeper level than those of us who were simply victims of brainwashing.

Because of this cohesion, the belief in the program sustains itself long after the programmie exits the environment. I've often asked myself "Why do some people still, after all of this time, believe in this shit?" Well, maybe it's as simple as the fact that they are wired that way. There IS no repression of the psyche, because it jibes with the crap it has been taught, at its most basic level. Zero conflict. Zero contradiction. Is it denial? Well, it is denial that it's abuse, but it is not in the sense that the identity absorbs the ideology and makes it a part of itself. Round peg, round hole.

For those of us who don't fall into this category, we had to fight to regain ourselves. We survived something that sought to silence us. One man's repression is another one's emancipation. It's still abuse, for all of us. It's just that some people identify with abuse more than others.

The problem however, is that some programmies choose to pass that abuse on, in the name of what they believe to be love, or simply out of a sense of self-righteousness. These are obviously incredibly dangerous people.

All of these ruminations at this point are incredibly disorganized and possibly half-baked, and I will be the first to admit it. In some ways, I am simply thinking out loud. I also can't possibly pretend to know what goes on inside a programmie's head. It IS speculation, and just a theory. I CAN, of course, speak with more certainty on the survivor's perspective. What CEDU taught me was SO contradictory to my identity, at its most basic and fundamental level, that it was inevitable that I would have to face myself again and reconcile that conflict.

I think, for sure, that there are programmies who snap out of it. I mean, hell, most of us were programmies at one point, right? And we had to snap ourselves out of it. In this situation, I believe there was always conflict and denial regarding identity.

However, there are others who will never encounter this. Why? No conflict. These are the true programmies, and these are the people I am talking about.

For all I know, I could be wrong, and they may not even exist. Maybe ALL programmies are in denial about their conflict of identity. But it just seems that the program meshes SO well with who some of these people seem to be, that it's hard for me to tell. It's just that they seem so at peace with it. I don't remember feeling that way when I was at RMA, even though I was so incredibly brainwashed it wasn't even funny. I smiled like everyone else, and was terrified of being pulled, but my stomach was always churning. Regarding the ones who seem at peace with this... I guess Stacy Wasserman is a good example. She grew up with it. (She seemed disillusioned to me at one point and took some time off, but then she came back and headed up ASCENT.) I think Jackie is another. There are a few on the cedugraduates site who have been out longer than I have, who seem to fit this description as well. Oprah, and Dr. Phil, and Mel, and all of the people who create this shit to begin with. Sure, Mel might have been in it for the money, but there was something he saw in Synanon that clicked with him. I believe that.

This of course, could all be perfectly obvious to everyone else, and I'm just seeing it for the first time. I can be a bit slow on the uptake.

What do the rest of you think?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline drlongjon

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 02:35:25 PM »
I think you need a stiff drink and a vacation.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »
Quote from: ""drlongjon""
I think you need a stiff drink and a vacation.

Translation:

I want you to get over yourself, even though I really am only making a snap, inaccurate judgment about where you are coming from. Instead, I'll be passive aggressive about it and say that I believe you should need something, despite the fact that I truly have no concerns for your needs whatsoever, and just want to be a self-righteous, judgmental prick.

7 months of RMA taught you well.

I like to contextualize and understand. It's how I'm wired.

Offline drlongjon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »
wow, you're good. that hit the nail right on the head. I'm really only here because I'm looking for some old friends I haven't heard from in over 10 years. I have some fucked up memories and runaway stories I could share, but I'm sure it is nothing compared to the people who spent years there. Though I do understand the whole brainwashing thing because i was beginning to get brainwashed while there, my family noticed this and swiftly yanked me out of that shithole.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Re: programmies vs. survivors
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 03:27:06 PM »
Quote from: ""try another castle""
However, there are others who will never encounter this. Why? No conflict. These are the true programmies, and these are the people I am talking about.

I don't believe that. I think there are people who will never admit to it, though. I think of my brother, who would vehemently defend his cult guru whenever the topic came up (and if it didn't, he'd bait me). But never once, in the dozens of times he'd been back to Ft. Lauderdale, found time to stop in and visit the old crack pot. Why? Then there was the super straightling who came on here to defame and torment a friend of mine publicly, based on the program fiction he had believed (unquestioned) from 20 odd years ago. The two of them got to talking, straightened things out `n all. And in the course of that, the dude described some pretty serious compulsive type problems; obsessive tidiness, need for strong psyche drugs just to feel and act halfway 'normal', etc.

I think the difference between programmies and vets or survivors is that we know we're nuckin futz and are willing to discuss it.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
I'm an intruder from the Hyde forum here, so feel free to tell me to take a flying leap...

IMPHO, I think the truth is somewhere in between.  I definitely agree that some people are way more in sync with the program and hence stand by that identity and are "successful" at it longer than us rejects (survivors).  On the other hand, there is a price.  Whenever you have a closeknit group like this (be it a "program" or a family or a group of co-workers, even), and something is toxic for  even one person, eventually it'll be toxic for everyone, on some level or another.  How believable and good can your success feel, when the same medicine has destroyed so many others?

MR(2X)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 05:18:37 PM »
This is an interesting discussion. Programmie vs Survivor. I am not sure there really is a difference, is there? ALL of us that were forced into one of these programs is a SURVIVOR. How we interpret our experiences may be different. Or how we deal with the personal conflict of having survived one these programs may also be different. But, I don't think that you can really separate the two.

We are all individuals and how we deal with what life throws at us varies from person to person. If I don't react the same way as someone else, it doesn't mean that what happended to us isn't wrong, or bad, or criminal. Make sense?

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 05:59:34 PM »
Right, I do agree that we all are survivors. I guess I was having a bit of a semantics issue. I think what I meant was more along the lines of how we view ourselves. Programmies don't look at themselves as survivors, and vice versa. But  you do bring up a very valid point.

I'm definitely up in the air about all of this, because for me, it is certainly a confounding issue and one which interests me. What makes one person embrace the program for even decades after the fact, and what makes another one fight to reclaim what was lost or repressed? My current theory, as I said, has to do with identity and it's complicity or contradiction with the program. But I certainly can't say if this is true.

I think the difference between programmies and vets or survivors is that we know we're nuckin futz and are willing to discuss it.

No argument here!  :silly:  (cue crazy circus clown music) do do do do do do doo do do do

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
see, i knew u luv cedu
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 06:15:36 PM »
Just when i thought we were done discussing anything of substance.
I'm going to have to think on that. What would my senior counselor say?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »
Personally I really like being "nuckin futz."  The only way I can stay SANE (semantics, anyone?) is being nuckin futz.  And I identify more with the nuckin futz contingent in Life than I do with the status quo, most any day.  Perhaps it is kind of an existentialist stance...  And I've always related more as an individual than as part of a group.  But we all need to "belong" somewhere, do we not?  It's a basic human need.

Yes, 'tis true that we are all survivors of a kind.  The world is a very painful place to be sometimes...

Nuckin Futz, MR(2X)

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 06:45:25 PM »
I think I can safely say that I am sick and tired of being crazy. I've had my fun. Please let me off the tilt-a-whirl, now. I'll turn in my pills at the gate.

I don't mind being eccentric, and having a dark, obnoxious, crude sense of humor, because that's just how I am, but crazy I can do without. I was already crazy before I went to raisin-cake-camp. CEDU just piled on the crazy. Going into one of those places already nuts is like double jeopardy, because you come out twice as fucked up.

So yeah, no thankee on the crazee.  ::ftard::

It is actually encouraging though, to know that other people have an easier time with their nuttiness.  :D

Damn, I'm so fuckin' serious today. I need to do something stupid, and fast. Maybe I really should take drlongjohn's advice.  ::cheers::

Offline mad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 01:29:12 PM »
This is an interesting and thought provoking thread to me. I don?t identify as a survivor of the program though I certainly remember being emotionally abused by some sadistic staff.  I never felt like the abuse I suffered at RMA was in danger of destroying me though.  It was injurious and was sometimes disorienting, and people were certainly cruel at times, but there were plenty of nurturing and caring people around me too.  In fact, I experienced more care and nurturance than not, and it was certainly a more positive balance than the family I came from.

I have a trauma history that predates being at RMA and I can?t compare those experiences with what I experienced at the school.  One set of experiences was life and soul threatening to me; the other set didn?t come close.

Your idea though, that for some people the program just jived with some internal sense of the world and our place in it, definitely has some merit in my opinion.  When I think about RMA, I think of sadistic people, not a sadistic program.  I never felt injured by what I learned; I felt injured by those trying to teach it to me.  Or in some cases, I felt injured by staff that I think were simply injurious. Any conflicts I have had with the program, some 15 years later, have been when I have found something to be too limited, too simplistic, or too extreme (yes or no; do or don?t do etc.).  My conflict has not been with something being ?right? or ?wrong.?  For me, it has been about learning nuance and about grappling with my limitations and the limitations of those I love.

In thinking about your question, I think that there are probably three factors that influence how I understand my RMA experience and why I don?t see myself as a survivor where it is concerned.  1) The program did jive with some existing internal representation that I had had; 2) I went to RMA with a trauma history.  While some experiences at RMA exacerbated my history, the program certainly didn?t rise to the level of being a trauma experience in and of itself. 3) I had way more people at RMA who treated me lovingly than who were cruel to me.

Take care, M
n the road of experience...

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
anonymous reply.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 10:17:02 AM »
I did 2nd post. (Didn't have new name) This is exactly my issue with CEDU... the inability to address real problems and the resulting aftermath.

This is why it really disgusts me when trained therapists defend this place... for example, Mad.

He is a trained therapist/ former attendee who seems to defend CEDU... I can't see how... it defies any acceptable ethical/ therapeutic practice, so he should know better.

I'm not some asshole whining about work detail, structure, or discipline... But there is NO WAY you can tell me that the coersive, isolating, and verbally abusive tactics used to promote "growth" by unlicensed, either inept or egocentric--or worse, both--staff members is acceptable. It's not like they just fucked up in isolated incidents. Every rap was abusive and coersive; people were badgered to lie or exaggerate their own history on a systemic basis; staff members worked out their own psychoses on us. How could a teen aged girl feel safe when her "role model" staff was copping out to sexual misconduct--including playing with "feces", animals, and rape? No, it's not okay these these events supposedly occurred in the past when I had to be supervised by these people in an isolated environment--the same people who monitored every movement and lied to my parents? THESE WERE NOT ISOLATED INCIDENTS--THEY WERE SYSTEMIC!

Then, of course, you have the people who claim CEDU gave them "tools" and saved them even though they continue to suffer whatever the suffered pre-CEDU, post-CEDU and during CEDU.NOT ONE person has ever been able to define what those tools were specifically--NOT ONE! I mean I could say what tools I picked up in all my job related training or education, therapy, even marriage, it shoudl't be that difficult for someone to come up with "tools" they gleaned from an "emotional growth facility" after a two year residency. Tools, of course, that don't have to do with bullying peers, verbally abusing peers, etc. Oh! I know... I did learn to chop wood and dig trenches for pipe systems.... and pitch tents... and that is all fine and good, but the purpose of the facility was "emotional growth." What tools did I glean in that realm? Zip.

Last, let's stop calling CEDU a school. It wasn't. That part, in my tenure, was a complete sham. It was a registered group home.

Quote from: ""mad""
This is an interesting and thought provoking thread to me. I don?t identify as a survivor of the program though I certainly remember being emotionally abused by some sadistic staff.  I never felt like the abuse I suffered at RMA was in danger of destroying me though.  It was injurious and was sometimes disorienting, and people were certainly cruel at times, but there were plenty of nurturing and caring people around me too.  In fact, I experienced more care and nurturance than not, and it was certainly a more positive balance than the family I came from.

You remember "being emotionally abused some sadistic staff"!!I
But you don't "identify as a survivor".
Who is it that can say and believe it that they KNOW the staff they believe "caring and nurturing" were NEVER the other "sadistic" or "cruel" staff to other people besides this poster?
I had one person tell me ring me out of the blue and say, "but this guy is alright! I still talk to him". To which I responded: "you were never a fourteen yrear old girl". The staff that I LIKE, I cannot know what they did with/ to/ for anyone but me. Why can't people realize this? I am loyal, but i don't know WHY Glenn Sutton licked a kid's face? I don't know how it was to be a fifteen year old of any PERSONALITY and be in a rap with Dan Earl, or with someone who was a fucking horse farrier three years before! You see what I'm getting at? Your personal responses do defend the PLACE, skool, whathaveyou. As a therapist-  isn't the first RULE: DO NO fucking HARM.  You come off rational, but you must be a little more programmie than you would like to admit. Don't want to make challenges, but an articulate response to the anonymous poster (who wasn't me). As I originally said, I was going to have to think on this thread before posting. My mind is made up: MAD is still suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, and thinks CEDU was an acceptable surrogate parent,

have a trauma history that predates being at RMA and I can?t compare those experiences with what I experienced at the school.  One set of experiences was life and soul threatening to me; the other set didn?t come close.

You didn't see anyone else or yourself become COMPLETELY FUCKING UNGLUED in workshops and or raps and propheets? I believe this is more anathema to the original questions:

What would happen if you REFUSED to do the IWTL pillow pouding fight with your parents on the pillows? or whoever it was for you? what if you REFUSED parts of the I and ME like the "fight for Me's Life" or the Fantastic Voyage? what if you had...You couldn't...it was not possible to refuse anything. Compliance was mandatory, and you seem to allude to that being OK. Not for me, buddy, and it's still ain't. Also, I would like to bring up the fact- FACT that it labeled and billed itself as a thing it was not.

Your idea though, that for some people the program just jived with some internal sense of the world and our place in it, definitely has some merit in my opinion.  When I think about RMA, I think of sadistic people, not a sadistic program.  I never felt injured by what I learned; I felt injured by those trying to teach it to me.  Or in some cases, I felt injured by staff that I think were simply injurious. Any conflicts I have had with the program, some 15 years later, have been when I have found something to be too limited, too simplistic, or too extreme (yes or no; do or don?t do etc.).  My conflict has not been with something being ?right? or ?wrong.?  For me, it has been about learning nuance and about grappling with my limitations and the limitations of those I love.

Unfortunately CEDU 'education' does promote and I think, purposefully done made/makes a dualistic YES/NO/BLACK/WHITE
view of the world, and those limitations are really inside of ourselves; we KNOW what is right/ wrong while others are limited. But really we missed out on essential parts of programming. I use this word in the "positive" way. There is a certain amount of programming that goes on in normal teenage life. That morphs and changes as times do, but it is time immemorial that conditioning to the clan is made during puberty and pre- puberty. People sent away as parriahs at fourteen and fifteen for TWO OR THREE fucking years miss out on this normal programming. In fact the result is much the same as if you are playing basketball with a friend as a nine year old. Suddenly you disappear and reappear a moment later but two + years have passed. It doesn't even matter what your original skills were. THEY ARE MOOT, because the normal flow of time was interrupted. Nothing more. But it's an important time...those two+ years as a child as you see by my simple analogy.

In thinking about your question, I think that there are probably three factors that influence how I understand my RMA experience and why I don?t see myself as a survivor where it is concerned.  1) The program did jive with some existing internal representation that I had had; 2) I went to RMA with a trauma history.  While some experiences at RMA exacerbated my history, the program certainly didn?t rise to the level of being a trauma experience in and of itself. 3) I had way more people at RMA who treated me lovingly than who were cruel to me.

In CEDU survivor fashion, "my experience if I describe it truthfully, absolutely must be the experience of yours too".  Perfect empathy, Take care

Take care, M
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline 3BeanSalad

• View Profile
I agree
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »
I have to agree with blownawaytheidahoway.  Bless us all, but the CEDU family of "registered group homes" was BASED on coersive, isolating, verbally abusive tactics by unlicensed, inept, and yes, egocentric power-tripping staff members who were and felt completely in control.  Control was a real issue with the staff members.  I didn't feel safe being FORCED to cop out to my dirt, and I didn't feel safe knowing that depending on the head space of the particular staff member depended on my own personal outcome of what I copped out to.  No matter HOW painful or embarrassing or difficult to say.  My copping out didn't come close to most of what I heard, but that never made me feel ANY safer.  

I was TERRIFIED of raps and propheets and they were always traumatizing to me.  Absolutely.  

We are all older now.  At least some of us see the reality of what being in Cedu's group of registered group homes have done to us while many are just still in denial...

Offline drlongjon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 01:24:12 PM »
i agree with blownaway as well, RMA was definately a mind fuck for kids who are trying to find their place in the world. Some things were meant not to be dicussed in open detail with peers and staff who had no formal psychiatric education. Once everyone knows your "dirt," they judge you on it every time they lay eyes on you.