Author Topic: From One Cult To Another...  (Read 31343 times)

Offline Ed Legg

• View Profile
From One Cult To Another...
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2007, 05:22:11 PM »
Damnation!!

Them two girls were them little Latvian honeys workin' to Golicks this summer. I ain't never buyin' ice cream there again.  That just does not look like good hygiene to me.

I gotta go hurl. That was discustin!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
i]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2007, 10:14:23 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
no, he said either "i'm a filmmaker" or "i made a film" or "i'm a filmmaker now and this is our latest project"

he also said he was studying philosophy or religious studies, cant remember which

It is quite possible that J.Z. Knight led him on to believe that his contribution was integral to the project, on par with being one of the three actual filmmakers.  From what I've been able to research, he was initially the Public Relations person for the "film" -- I really should call it the infomercial -- and that apparently also included the marketing.  Pretty much the only reason that film made it anywhere at all in the beginning was the marketing.  

About a page back, I think I posted it earlier today, was a post mentioning a talk he gave in 2006 called "Grassroots Marketing."  Details of when a film would be showing in such and such a city would be posted on the website and different people would organize who would call such and such a reviewer, plus all sorts of "chain-phone-calling" would commence (I'm not really sure what you would call it) to drum up bodies to show up at the theater.  Ramsters would do all this dirty work.  It worked to convey an artificial perception of immense popularity.  Kind of like the build up in The Emperor's New Clothes.  

Meanwhile, I imagine Paul oversaw the organizing of all this, plus wrote lots of pseudo reviews that would be placed in local media at the appropriate time beforehand (paid for as advertisements, but phrased as though they were reviews), plus gave interviews to real reviewers.  It was really quite an effective marketing strategy; without it the film would have probably bombed after the first two weeks.

Anyway, that's the only reason I can imagine that Paul would say something seemingly so false.  Who knows how J.Z. Knight phrased things to people.  When you see the clips of her former husband, Jeff Knight, you realize just how much this woman is a master rationalizer:  "the ends justify the means."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 09:39:57 AM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2007, 10:21:34 PM »
I should also add, for what it's worth, that misappropriation of credit is pretty standard in the film industry, from what I've been told.  You grab what you can, walk over whoever is in the way, fuck whoever you have to, etc. etc. etc.  Just don't get caught.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2007, 07:29:48 AM »
 http://www.ecademy.com/account.php?id=206779
Pavel Mikoloski
Marketing Guru
Self
London
UK
UK       

Ecademy ID: 206779
3rd Symposium 2006
— Getting It Out There
A Reality Check on Distribution

11:30-12:15
Case Study
GRASSROOTS MARKETING
"What the Bleep Do We Know"

· Pavel Mikoloski, Living The Field, London

What is the secret behind a low budget "pseudo" documentary feature that made over $10 million at the box office? In the US it sold out small theatres for months and was then launched into 60 theatres by Samuel Goldwyn Films. It has created an overwhelming buzz on the internet (not all positive). So what was the marketing genius behind getting "What the Bleep Do We Know" out there? Marketing director Pavel Mikoloski will explain how it was done from the ground up.
For some reason, the above came immediately to my mind when I read this in the Fall 2004 Alumni Newsletter:

=============================

SHARE THE SECRET
Recently, Laurie Hurd and Duncan McCrann announced the launch of a major campaign to increase  awareness about Hyde. The help of alumni in the form of  time, energy, enthusiasm, and creative thinking is needed.  Simply put, it's a new world for Hyde and other New England  boarding schools. The recent proliferation of new educational options for students and families has created a challenge for boarding school admissions,  a challenge that we at Hyde are eager to face with your help.

As alumni, you don't have to be sold on the impact of Hyde on families. There is little doubt that if more families knew about Hyde, they would pursue enrollment. In some ways, Hyde is the best-kept secret in American education! It is where hope is restored and potential is realized.

This fact led to a new campaign that will "ignite" conversation and interest about Hyde, a venture where everyone connected to Hyde is passing along the Hyde "secret" to people they meet everyday—school counselor, minister, friend, therapist, colleague—to ultimately transform the mystery into knowledge.

In the coming months, you will hear more about Share the Secret. By working together to spread the word about Hyde we will reach families that could benefit from what our schools offer, and have some fun in the process. Please contact Laurie Hurd at 207-443-7105, [email protected], to pass along any campaign development ideas.

Apparently, at least one person took that "campaign" to heart. Or, perhaps it is genius of Hyde's marketing masters themselves. From urban dictionary's definition of "hyde":

9.   Hyde   
Thumbsup   29 up, 67 down   Thumbsdown

The best kept secret in American education.
Pssssst.....What's the best kept secret in American education.
by Jay Brizzle Jan 26, 2005 email it

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2007, 08:12:50 AM »
As alumni, you don't have to be sold on the impact of Hyde on families

That is good, because I am not.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2007, 08:20:25 AM »
Quote from: ""Schrödinger's cat""

It took me forever to realize that what they meant to say was something to the effect of "As alumni, you no longer need to be sold on the impact of Hyde on families, because you are already sold.  You have gone through the experience and realize its benefits."

Bad syntax.  A telling obfuscation.  Tremendous presumption on their part that by virtue of being an alumnus, you automatically believe the bullshit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2007, 08:29:55 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
Quote from: ""Schrödinger's cat""
It took me forever to realize that what they meant to say was something to the effect of "As alumni, you no longer need to be sold on the impact of Hyde on families, because you are already sold.  You have gone through the experience and realize its benefits."

Bad syntax.  A telling obfuscation.  Tremendous presumption on their part that by virtue of being an alumnus, you automatically believe the bullshit.

I have noted that hyde lives the creed of "attitude over aptitude" when it comes to written communications.  I am no Marcel Proust myself, I will admit.  I think Jimmy Webb wrote the definitive text on cake anyway.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2007, 09:38:11 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
From what I've been able to research, he was initially the Public Relations person for the "film" -- I really should call it the infomercial -- and that apparently also included the marketing.  Pretty much the only reason that film made it anywhere at all in the beginning was the marketing.  

... a post mentioning a talk he gave in 2006 called "Grassroots Marketing."  Details of when a film would be showing in such and such a city would be posted on the website and different people would organize who would call such and such a reviewer, plus all sorts of "chain-phone-calling" would commence (I'm not really sure what you would call it) to drum up bodies to show up at the theater.  Ramsters would do all this dirty work.  It worked to convey an artificial perception of immense popularity.  Kind of like the build up in The Emperor's New Clothes.  

Meanwhile, I imagine Paul oversaw the organizing of all this, plus wrote lots of pseudo reviews that would be placed in local media at the appropriate time beforehand (paid for as advertisements, but phrased as though they were reviews), plus gave interviews to real reviewers.  It was really quite an effective marketing strategy; without it the film would have probably bombed after the first two weeks.
From the first mailing that I could find of a newsletter called What The Bleep, and which later evolved into The Bleeping Herald; February 5th, 2004 or thereabouts; many of the key words connect to links (marketing):

==================================
Yelm Premier
"WHAT THE #$*! DO WE KNOW?!"
A film as entertaining as it is thought-provoking,­ you will never look at your world the same way again.  Join us in getting the word out, and let Hollywood know (through Box Office numbers) that the world is ready for a new generation of films and information ­ driven not by profit, but by true inspiration. The time has come for the world to learn what science has known for decades, and mystics have known for eons.
    "Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."
    ­ Carl Gustav Jung
Get a free ticket, help us with posters.

Get Your Tickets Early —­and Spread the News!

For more info and to view trailer visit: http://www.whatthebleep.com

For movie times, prices, etc. contact Yelm Cinemas, or call (360) 400-3456 (FILM). Tickets are on sale now and are not available online. Movie times will be posted on the Yelm Cinemas, website on Friday morning and on their recorded message.

To help with the local grass-roots effort in Yelm and in Portland, contact Pavel Mikoloski.

From the third mailing, March 4, 2004:

Now Showing
Film Festivals
If you are near Sedona, AZ or Washington, DC you will have a wonderful opportunity to see the movie in the inspiring atmosphere of one of the film festivals there. If you don't live near these areas yourself, but know someone there, please forward this email to them.

From the fourth mailing, March 15, 2004:

News Flash
  • In 17 days at the Bagdad theatre in Portland over 13,000 people have seen What the $%BLEEEP*! Do We Know!?
  • Peter Boicourt – Theatre Manager: "Many of our customers have stated that they've seen it more than once and can't get enough of it I've never had so many phone calls from all over Oregon, wanting information and to come and see this film."
  • 6 weeks running at Yelm Cinemas. Owner Margaret Clapp: "It's a phenomena".
What the BLEEP is going on???

For one thing: 3 more theatres are opening The BLEEP:

Portland, Oregon
McMenamin's Mission Theater
– Opens Friday, March 19th
1624 NW Glisan
Portland, Oregon
Call for times: (503) 225-5555 category 8832

Forest Grove, Oregon
McMenamin's Grand Lodge Theater
- Opens Friday, March 19th
Forest Grove, Oregon
3505 Pacific Avenue
Forest Grove, OR 97116
Call for times (503) 225-5555 category 8835

Olympia, Washington
The Capitol Theater
- Opens on Sunday, March 28
206 E. 5th St. Downtown Olympia – (360) 754-5378
Show times are:
Sun 3/28 – 4:00 pm and 9:00 pm
Mon 3/29 - 6:30 pm
Tues 3/30 – 9:00 pm
Wed 3/31 - 6:30 pm
Thurs, 4/01 – 9:00 pm

And don’t forget:
ASHLAND, OREGON
The Third Ashland Independent Film Festival

SCREENINGS: "What The #$*! Do We Know?"
Fri. April 2nd 6:10 pm
Sat. April 3rd 3:10 pm
Sun. April 4th 9:10 pm
Mon. April 5th 12:10 pm
TICKETS
Films: $8 each/$6 seniors/$4 Students
VENUE:
Varsity Theatre, at 166 E. Main Street, downtown Ashland
SCHEDULE:
http://www.ashlandfilm.org/

Guerrilla Marketing is working!!!

We have been contacted by many Theatres who are now interested in What the BLEEP based on the phones calls everyone has made to their local theaters. This is incredibly effective, so please keep calling. If you have friends scattered around the country (or world (or Universe)) that you think should see the film, have them call their local theatres.  

Coming Soon: "Street Teams"

For those who wish to take a more active role is seeing this film out in the public spotlight (instead of the mindless drivel that's usually there) we are forming Street Teams. These teams are locally based and are to be a major point in our grass roots marketing. The teams will do postering, more calling and talking to special interests groups. We will have Street Team T-Shirts, free tickets to the movie, and who knows what else. So stay tuned.

For more info and to view trailer visit: http://www.whatthebleep.com

From the sixth mailing, May 5, 2004:

BLEEPers Of the World Unite!
The grassroots, word-of-mouth advertising really works. The first week in Tempe we sold out the evening show on Friday, Saturday, Wednesday and Thursday. This theater had never ever had even ONE sell-out before! So please tell anyone and everyone in the cities mentioned above to get the BLEEP out of the house and rub elbows with some fellow souls who like thinking about the "impossible" and then making it so.

Speaking of which - if your hometown isn't listed above, let your fingers do the walkin' and your spirit do the talkin' and tell your theaters to get us in! (But only if they can stand some sell-out shows). More ideas on what YOU can do here.

From the seventh mailing, May 21, 2004:

California here we Come!
We just received our first article about "The Phenomena". And a phenomena is what we all have generated. Distributors are now sitting up and taking note. And WE (meaning filmmakers and all of you) made it happen! Calling friends, emailing associates, dragging your pals to the theater have produced:

"Movies always drop after the first week," (Dan) Harkins said. "The last time I saw a movie do more business (locally) in its fourth week than its first week was Titanic." - Arizona Republic

F.Y.I. this put us in the league with Titanic, the most successful Box Office movie of all time…

For the full article click here.

Another BLEEPing surprise is: WHO likes the film. We are increasingly hearing about people who are absolutely floored by who comes back from the film and LOVED it. It seems that some of the most unexpected people take to the information like, well, Peptides to Cells. So now we are recommending (if you're so inspired) not just to tell the people who you think will like What the $^%&#, but Everyone.

And finally: If you haven't checked out the Guestbook recently, check it out. It's very interesting how you can spot trends and common themes emerge. Also its tres' cool to see who else is out there.

And special thanks to those Arizonians who rocked out the Valley Arts Cinema!

From the eighth mailing, July 1, 2004:

"BLEEP" Passes the One Million $$$ Mark!
What does this mean? What can I do?

It means ... its showtime! Our word-of-mouth buzz has been incredibly instrumental in our successes everywhere. At the Denver opening, three-quarters of the audience said they heard about BLEEP from a friend or associate. So --
  • Please tell everyone you know about the wide release of "What the BLEEP." We used to say "tell your friends", but part of this phenomenon is that ... you/we can never tell who's going to love it. So, as a friend says: "Empower them all, let Karma sort it out!" Tell everyone!
  • Have people sign our mailing list. It's important to keep the phenomenon spreading
  • To help in your local area, sign up for streets teams. We will send you posters, postcards, and other cool stuff. It is a wonderful way to "shake the grid" and increase the awareness about our BLEEPIN' film.
  • Contact Media - both local, national, and intergalactic. The media is always looking for the breaking story. Well, we got it: a film made outside the entire Hollywood system is re-writing the book, and showing that there is an audience for films of a spiritual and scientific nature. Media leaders like Oprah, Ebert & Roeper, Joel Siegel, Gene Shalit, Bill O'Reilly and CNN will start to pay attention when their phones and in-boxes are ringing with reports of something new and wonderful. Let the media know we're here and we're not going away.
People can't get enough of "What the BLEEP" -- which is the good news and the bad news. Bad insofar as pirate copies of the film, both the sound and script, printed books, and audio tapes (with our Logos on it) have begun appearing. All of these copies are unauthorized, and are basically theft. We are releasing our materials in a sequence to maximize the impact of the film. These pirate versions affect that, and cheapen the experience. If you come across any copies, please, please tell us immediately. Call 1-866-312-5143. It is criminal, plain and simple, and we don't want that energy at all associated with this project. Please help protect the filmmakers. Remember, we also need this to be a financial success so that more films like this get made.

And finally, I would personally like to thank everyone who has taken their own time and energy to promote our film. It is this grass roots excitement that has produced box office numbers that have astounded the Hollywood distributors. It also shows in very dramatic fashion how we do, have, and ARE creating a new reality.

Yours truly,
William Arntz
Producer, Director,...

From the mailing of August 2, 2004:

NEWS! NEWS! NEWS! NEWS!
National Distribution

The Sell-outs have confounded Major Distributors, who can't figure out how we're doing it. (And I mean WE. The word-of-mouth (from YOU) has kept What the BLEEP in most theaters for 10+ weeks!)

Confounded and interested to the point that:
    We have partnered with a major distributor for our national release in September.[/list]That's right. Samuel Goldwyn/Roadside Attractions is now on board and booking theaters around the country. With a major distributor behind us, we expect to be everywhere this September.

The Box Office numbers have spoken — its telling Hollywood, and America, that there is an audience for this kind of film... and a constituency of MILLIONS sharing expansive, inclusive, enlightened values, desires and intentions...

…And in Closing

At the last 3 Openings: Denver, Los Angeles and San Francisco, we asked the audience how many people had heard of the Film before the local Ads and Newspapers announced it. Over 90% of the audience raised their hands! That is the work of those who have picked up the phone, fired off emails and generally talked up the film. We thank you, thank you, thank you all for that. And we're just getting started…
      "It's Time to Get Wise!"[/list]

And more, and more, and more along these lines... but you get the drift!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Street Teams and other "activism"
      « Reply #143 on: October 20, 2007, 10:06:22 AM »
      [li]Help promote the film by putting up posters as a member of one of our "street teams."[/li]
      [li]Tell your family and friends about the film. Word of mouth is the best way to get the word out about this growing phenomenon.[/li]
      [li]Send family, friends, and colleagues, and acquaintances e-mails about the film, and let them know that if they sign the mailing list on the website, the filmmakers will notify them when the film is in their area.[/li]
      [li]If you read a review or article that you do not agree with or was contrary to your experience, write the media/writer. Let them know what you think. Its one of the ways that we can DO SOMETHING and not let them dictate a cultural agenda.[/li]
      [li]Post your own comments on film and spirituality websites. Be sure to include our website address on message boards or in chat rooms[/li]
      [li]Write and submit movie reviews on [url=http://www.imdb.com]www.imdb.com
      and [url=http://www.netflix.com]www.netflix.com[/url]. Also, send them to your own email network.[/li]
      [li]Send us your experiences and thoughts after watching the Bleep. We will choose some to send to editors and reporters from qualified media outlets.[/li]
      [li]Write letters about the film to the editor of your local daily newspaper, either requesting a review, Op-Ed piece, or feature story on the film.[/li]
      [li]Many TV and Radio stations solicit potential news stories from their listeners and viewers, i.e. "If you have a story you'd like us to know about, please contact us". You may want to take advantage of this, let them know about this phenomenon and direct them to [url=http://www.whatthebleep.com]www.whatthebleep.com[/url][/li]
      [li]Notify influential people and like minded groups in your community who you think should see the film.[/li]
      [li]If you belong to a church group or other organization, write up study/discussion guides, or lectures about the topics in the film.[/li]
      [li]LET US KNOW OF ANY OTHER IDEAS YOU HAVE FOR ACTIVITIES THAT WILL SUPPORT "WHAT THE BLEEP!" email them to us.[/li][/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #144 on: October 20, 2007, 08:00:28 PM »
      Possibly meant for this thread, but posted in another?  No matter, still applicable... see HERE for original posting.

Quote from: ""sweet green icing""
      According to Physics Today Online, the film invokes quantum physics to promote pseudoscience.[15] The article also states "the movie illustrates the uncertainty principle with a bouncing basketball being in several places at once. There's nothing wrong with that. It's recognized as pedagogical exaggeration. But the movie gradually moves to quantum "insights" that lead a woman to toss away her antidepressant medication, to the quantum channeling of Ramtha, the 35,000-year-old Atlantis god, and on to even greater nonsense."

John Gorenfeld reports that three directors are devotees of Ramtha's School of Enlightenment and JZ Knight/Ramtha.[16]

The Guardian Unlimited published an article summarizing the reactions to the film by some British scientists. Richard Dawkins states that "the authors seem undecided whether their theme is quantum theory or consciousness. Both are indeed mysterious, and their genuine mystery needs none of the hype with which this film relentlessly and noisily belabours us", concluding that the film is "tosh". Professor Clive Greated writes that "thinking on neurology and addiction are covered in some detail but, unfortunately, early references in the film to quantum physics are not followed through, leading to a confused message". He also questions whether modern physics cannot be married with institutional religion as the film implies. Simon Singh called it pseudoscience, and said the suggestion "that if observing water changes its molecular structure, and if we are 90% water, then by observing ourselves we can change at a fundamental level via the laws of quantum physics" was "ridiculous balderdash." According to Dr Joao Migueijo, reader in theoretical physics at Imperial College, the film deliberately misquotes science. [17]

An article published by Australian Broadcasting Corporation reports that Associate Professor Zdenka Kuncik, Professor Peter Schofield and Professor Max Colthear have criticised the film's ideas that quantum mechanics means an observer can consciously affect reality, saying: "The observer effect of quantum physics isn't about people or reality. It comes from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, and it's about the limitations of trying to measure the position and momentum of subatomic particles". They also maintain that quantum effects have little influence on everyday objects like stones, and only apply to sub-atomic particles[18]. The article also discusses Hagelin's experiment with Transcendental Meditation and the Washington D.C rate of violent crime; they note that "the number of murders actually went up". They also comment on the film's use of the ten percent myth.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation and the Fortean times have both discussed the story of the Native American's "perceptual blindness" to European ships. Both agree that there is a real psychological phenomenon of perceptual blindness, but find the historical details of the account given in the film to be unconvincing. The Fortean Times concludes that the story originated with Captain Cook. [19]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_B ... e_Know!%3F

.... and it took so long to bake it!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #145 on: October 20, 2007, 08:38:53 PM »
      Actual posted in the other thread

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=10

in response to this question:

but I fail to see what "quantum physics" has to do with it.

I found it interesting that the scientists quoted in the wiki piece were in agreement with crazy bastards off hand assessment.  I would say CB is a pretty smart guy but has not helped me write any of MY songs except for that part in the "Highwayman" were I said that the song's narrator fell in to the concrete at Hoover Dam, which we all know is a myth.  No one in buried in the cret at the dam

"Each pour was no more than 6-inches deep. Because of this depth it is extremely unlikely that construction workers were accidentally buried alive in the concrete, contrary to popular folklore.
      "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_Dam

CB gave me that line while we were ... well snorting lines.  Turns out it is bull shit.  I did pilot a star ship though.

I was a highwayman. Along the coach roads I did ride
      With sword and pistol by my side
      Many a young maid lost her baubles to my trade
      Many a soldier shed his lifeblood on my blade
      The bastards hung me in the spring of twenty-five
      But I am still alive.

I was a sailor. I was born upon the tide
      And with the sea I did abide.
      I sailed a schooner round the Horn to Mexico
      I went aloft and furled the mainsail in a blow
      And when the yards broke off they said that I got killed
      But I am living still.

I was a dam builder across the river deep and wide
      Where steel and water did collide
      A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado
      I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below
      They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound
      But I am still around..I'll always be around..and around and around and
      around and around

I fly a starship across the Universe divide
      And when I reach the other side
      I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can
      Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
      Or I may simply be a single drop of rain
      But I will remain
      And I'll be back again, and again and again and again and again..

Oh yeah " I'll be back again, and again and again and again and again"

Jimmy

Offline Joseph W. Gauld

• View Profile
      « Reply #146 on: October 20, 2007, 08:54:03 PM »
      Quote from: ""Jimmy Webb""
      I fly a starship across the Universe divide
      And when I reach the other side
      I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can
      Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
      Or I may simply be a single drop of rain
      But I will remain
      And I'll be back again, and again and again and again and again..

Just don't be hanging 'round any more of those Heaven's Gate folk, Boy, that is, if any are left... Har har har de har har!!!

Joseph Hoover-me Gauld, The Educator and Starship Navigator

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Re: Street Teams and other "activism"
      « Reply #147 on: October 21, 2007, 09:36:15 AM »
      So much for Ramsters engaging in proactive activities as per getting the word out re. What The Bleep? (see a few posts above for "list").  What about reactive activities?
      • If you read a review or article that you do not agree with or was contrary to your experience, write the media/writer. Let them know what you think. Its one of the ways that we can DO SOMETHING and not let them dictate a cultural agenda.

Ramsters were marshaled out in full force in response to a negative review which appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle on Friday, July 23, 2004.  If this doesn't make you say "cult," I don't know what will...

First the review.  "Snoozing Viewer" refers to an icon indicating the reviewer's rating.  As far as I can tell, there are three options:  viewer clapping, viewer just sitting, and viewer asleep.

===========================================
      www.whatthebleep.com/guestbook) you will see many similar responses.

I would like to close by quoting an email that I received as I was
      writing this. (A coincidence some would say, others would say an
      omen):

Hi folks,
      I saw the film on Saturday and I was just blown away.  I'm 66 years
      old and have been thinking this way around these principles most of my
      life from the time I was about 9 or 10 years old.  I thought I was the
      only one!  I'm so glad to see I'm not and that there are people
      actually studying and talking about these ideas.  It gives me hope.
      (Ms) Terry Rose
      San Francisco

Yours truly,
      William Arntz
      Co-Producer, Co-Director, Financier

Ps. I sent that email to the Chronicle just before sending this one.
      If you are also thinking "How Much Longer shall they kill our
      prophets", click on the link below to send a message to the Editor of
      the San Francisco Chronicle:
      send a message
      (We are CC'ing ourselves so we know how many emails go to them.)

You can read the entire review here:
      Ruthe Stein review link here.

And you do not have to be in San Francisco to respond. It is a global
      network, with the above review published on the web. It will be our
      global community that responds!

In Phoenix the "What the BLEEP" viewers were so enraged by the review
      (similar to the one above) that they buried the newspaper under a sea
      of emails and letters. That newspaper published another review and a
      few subsequent articles describing "the phenomena". 14 weeks later
      we're still playing there.

The only way things change is if we make a decision to change them. Do
      we stand aside and look, or do we speak up?

"It's time to get wise. It's time to be heard."

PPS: Feel free to forward this email.
      ===========================================
      THE LETTERS - over 500 sent, 469 posted so far

Where do you people get your critics. Is Ms. Ruth Stein a journalism student, and serving her internship with your newspaper? Her criticism of What the Bleep do We Know indicates a very shallow perception/knowledge of what is happening in the world of science today. Perhaps she should go back to school, or search for another job within a closed community such as that described by George Orwell in 1984, where people are programmed not to question anything, but accept "what is."
      -----------------------------------------------------------------

Scarey times when even a San Francisco newspaper will pay someone to write a hatchet job on a lyrical and joyous film that presents an integrated view of philosphy and science. At a time when incivility and brutality is admired and presented over and over again both in both our popcorn movies and in our "real life" tv shows, this film is a reversal of all that.

It is hopeful, and it is positive. Sure, it presents folks with their own messages, but the general and it's primary main message is that people have a right to be happy and self accepting. It also gives good reason for commitment to humane altruism.

It talks about the cruelty of negative thoughts and how they cause longer lasting harm both to ourselves and to others than we normally consider when we are wallowing in despair or anger. I personally don't care whether negative thoughts can change water molecules. What I do know is how inner rage and misery can leak out and contaminate a society, turning it toward an admiration for interpersonal cruelty and brutality.

I think you reviewer should have watched the film until she understood it. So much rage and vindictivenss wouldn't have hit the reviewer's page if she had. And you published it. Shame on you! Claudia L. H. Smith Vancouver, WA

Dear Sir or Madam, After reading the review of "What the Bleep" written by Ruthe Stein, my main thought is that your publication should be very embarrassed by her ignorance and closed minded attitude. Perhaps it would be wise in the future to send an educated person to do your movie reviews. I also believe that a public apology should be made because of the ignorant trashing of a movie that has changed thousands of peoples lives for the better. Sincerely, Cindy St. John

Hi, Just a note to let you know that the film "What the Bleep do we Know" has been a turning point in my life. I have always heard how important it is to love yourself but quickly returned to my normal thoughts of dissatisfaction with my body and how I present myself. I could relate in a very deep way to what this girl in the movie was feeling. How the photographs of water crystals gave her and me a concrete image of the importance of loving oneself. This is a movie that I want all my friends to see and see again. Maybe your movie editor needs to see it again. Sharon Argus, Encinitas, CA

I find it curious that a newspaper in a city so known for it's cutting-edge thinkers would publish a review such a your of "What the Bleep." You do your readers a severe disservice, and diminish the stature of your paper. A review such as this casts doubt on the quality of your reporting in other areas. You might look to this when trying to discover why thinking readers are dropping their subscriptions to your paper, or passing it over on the newsstand for more thoughtful sources of information. Here in Portland, even people skeptical of Ramtha and JZ found the movie profoundly thought-provoking, and almost everyone I've talked with about the movie has seen it twice, or more. Carol Routh Portland OR

I received your review of "What The Bleep" via email and was appalled! To degrade someone like Dr. Candice Pert is shameful! This woman has done more for the human race than your staff could ever do.....and she did it as a woman fighting for her love of humanity and her science in a world dominated by men. I could go on about the other scientists and their contributions to humanity that participated in the film. The world is wanting and needing a new paradigm and it is here....called "Quantum Physics". This explains the world we live in and gives hope for our future. As a reporter, I suggest you read Dr. Pert's book "Molecules of Emotions". Then, maybe, you will have a new insight as to what the film is all about and how we do create the world around us. Yours truly, Judy Wagner

What the Bleep changes lives. It’s changed mine and many others that I’ve taken to see the movie. It’s REAL, and I guess that that’s a foreign concept for Ms. Stein. I only think it fair for your paper to print another article about the movie on its effect on people. Since that is its purpose.

I’m surprised at you, San Francisco. Your reputation is one for being open-minded. Best regards, Tara Strong Portland, Oregon

Editor, I am a licensed psychotherapist and have been utilizing the theory of quantum physics in psychotherapy for the past 15 years to help my clients. It is all based on the science of life and the application to intention and creation of our own reality. Perhaps you need to have someone who review the movie who is able to think in a scientific manner or open to grasping new concepts. This is a movie that I have clients attend since it is a simple explanation of many principles that can immediately change their lives. Beth Doyle, LPC Salem, Oregon

To the editor, Watching this film gave me great hope and comfort. The possibility that the world is beginning to use science to move us from fear to freedom is my life dream come true. I was fortunate enough to be in Portland when the film opened and have referenced this film to all of my friends and family here in Vancouver, Canada, repeatedly ever since.

The people I have shared the experience with are all interested in viewing the film... some out of curiosity, some for conformation of their own knowing. But all are excited with the reality that we are finally spending money, time and talent to investigate and discuss the issue of 'reality'. If you haven't noticed, people in coffee houses all over the world are sharing ideas, experiences and personal beliefs about life and death with a passion.

I have never read such a blatantly lazy review and am grateful our local paper makes a more of an effort to think before reporting. Shame on you for allowing your readers and loyal subscribers to be fed such narrow minded and archaic thinking. Most Sincerely, Barbara Bruce Vancouver, B.C.

The review by Ms Stein was disheartening. I have watched this movie 8 times and believe this to be the single most important movie I have ever seen. It has changed my life and I am now pursuing new avenues in my own life as a result of doors that were opened by "What the Bleep". When people were flocking to the theaters to see "Passion of the Christ" and leaving theaters with guilt and remorse, I left the theater after "What the Bleep" with optimism and hope. My prayer is that as many people who saw "Passion" will see "What the Bleep". In this day and age of biased reporting by news media's across the nation, I feel this review was just another slanderous slice job of a movie that is giving hope in a time when we need it most. Thank you, Carlton Ward

Dear Editor, Perhaps the SF Chronicle should send someone to review the movie that knows something about this, or at least has an open mind. Rather than publish a closeminded opinion! For your information, I have seen this movie 7 times. Each time, I see something new. It has helped me in thinking and seeing in a different way. I have been so excited about it I have taken both family and friends and recommend it to everyone! Christine Matiyow-Hoff Registered Nurse, EMT, Nurse-Educator Prineville, Oregon

Hello, San Francisco Chronicle and Staff - especially Ms. Stein - Have you ever heard the saying "A mind is like a parachute. It only works if it is open...."?

I wonder what happened to the hearts of the ones of you who cannot entertain new possibilities, see truth set in front of you as a flower growing up in a pile of manure, and still choose to accept that you are the one seeing the world truly. Are you so in love with the way our world looks as shown on worldwide media? Have you no desire to see our world change for the better? Or, perhaps, you are afraid to have hope that there really is something out there - more accurately within each heart - that could make changes happen for the good of all?

Cynicism is a killing energy. Thank God what we are seeing across the board with the success of this film and Fahrenheit 911 (and there are more coming), is quite clearly that what mascarades these days as journalism and opinion touted as expert are no longer holding much sway with real people. The only thing being killed is your credibility.

Have you taken a good and honest look in the mirror of your own heart lately? There is no time like the present (it's a gift, get it?) to get on the train moving to create Heaven on Earth. "It is much easier to ride the horse in the direction it is going" to quote a rather (in)famous San Franciscan.

The people are speaking to you. Are you listening? Can you see it?

Blessings for full recovery of Heart and Mind - Cheryl Merrill Portland, Oregon

Dear Editors: In response to Ms. steins review of "What the Bleep do we know", I can only say, that it is a shame that such a great paper as yours as such lame employees. I always read the chronicle when I am in town (often), and will refrain from doing so in the future. I am sorry Ms. Stein had such a painful childhood, so can not see the forest for the trees (or particles) in our quantum world. Perhaps intense therapy can one day help her heal those wounds. Best Regards, Ben Geddy Sedona, AZ

Dear SF Chronicle: To find such a small mind in the backwaters of Tennessee would not be so surprising. But in San Francisco? Well, maybe that’s not so surprising after all. When people set themselves up as “criticsâ€

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      scary shit
      « Reply #148 on: October 21, 2007, 10:45:24 AM »
      complex System Management software

Wow I am impressed.  Do that mean the software is complex or does it meant the Systems that the software management pakage manages are complex or both.  I would love to read that source code.

I personally have studied higher dimensional mathematics,
      (topology)

I have been to the Pittsburgh Zoo, that don't make me a lion.

And the scariest:
      I am a licensed psychotherapist and have been utilizing the theory of quantum physics in psychotherapy for the past 15 years to help my clients.

I use electro magnetic wave theory to heat cold coffee, but the coffee is not paying me a "C" note an hour, it is effective and has no lasting side effects.  What can the curve of binding energy inform you about your emotional state? The bell went off. My coffee is done.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #149 on: October 21, 2007, 11:01:40 AM »

I just read Ms. Stein's review of "What the Bleep?" It is a singularly uninformed and unintelligent piece of writing, not worthy of far lesser publications than the SF Chronicle. As a former Silicon Valley CEO who is currently enrolled in a ministerial education program, I found the film to be highly relevant to the on-going process of bringing spirituality and science into closer alignment -- a major challenge for the raising of consciousness in a sometimes "unconscious world". I would recommend that you assign someone with appropriate qualifications in the areas of science and spirituality to view and review this film. It would be an excellent service to your readership. Sincerely, JSM

A former CEO!!!  And now "enrolled in a ministerial education program!" OMG, I faint with awe at the sheer aura!