Author Topic: From One Cult To Another...  (Read 31266 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
From One Cult To Another...
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 02:42:52 PM »
Quote from: ""Mike""
Quote from: ""Ursus""
The full quote, which the troll did not leave, as it would not have made much sense, is Proverbs 26:11:  'Sicut canis qui revertitur ad vomitum suum sic inprudens qui iterat stultitiam suam'.  Translation:  As a dog that returneth to his vomit, so is the fool that repeateth his folly.

My reply, 'Sicut avis ad alia transvolans et passer quolibet vadens sic maledictum frustra prolatum in quempiam superveniet', came from Proverbs 26:2, and translates to:  As a bird flying to other places, and a sparrow going here or there: so a curse uttered without cause shall come upon a man.  Meaning... a curse uttered without cause shall do no harm to the person that is cursed, but will return upon him that curseth, as whithersoever a bird flies, it returns to its own nest.

Thanks to all who noticed.   :lol:

Ursus,

What my adapted Proverb 26:11 means is that you returning to an unpleasant event that occurred over thirty years ago between you and Vanda seems to me like "a dog (in this case bear) returning to its vomit." It's high time that that unpleasant event were out of your system. Moreover, your allegation that she is a false friend is none of our concern. It does not pertain to cults. It is unmistakably personal vendetta.

I've reached an age where I have begun researching my past. The Internet makes that possible. I am glad that I discovered this site and had the opportunity to analyze what are arguably the two strangest years of my life. On the other hand, while I am not discounting the painful experiences of others, I do not feel that my experience left any lasting damage. So when you, Ursus, go on record as saying that you are STILL recovering from your Hyde experience, I am bowled over. What could possibly have been so bad? At first, I admit, I thought that you were pathologically vulnerable. Now I'm beginning to wonder if you are not also pathologically vindictive. Forgive me for being so frank, but the explanation was in order.

I still don't understand the relevance of your proverb. Did you really think I was cursing you?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, I did think you might be cursing me.  After all, there had been quite a bit of discussion re. Ramtha and you didn't see fit to identify yourself.   :lol:   :rofl:

There was no unpleasant event 30 years ago between Vanda and myself that I was returning to, in fact, I don't think there ever was an unpleasant event between us that I can remember.  Rather, it was recently avowed statements on her part that were part and parcel of her return to Hyde to receive her diploma that, in no uncertain terms, negated previously avowed sentiments and allegiances on her part towards me.  And you are right, I shouldn't have taken it personally.  If that is the kind of pressure that people feel from Hyde, and that is how they capitulate, all for the sake of that flimsy piece of vellum, then something definitely stinks around that place and it certainly isn't the aroma of rotting piers wafting uphill from the Kennebec.  I originally brought this up in the context of the duplicity that Hyde can effect but clearly something was lost along the way as it apparently has come out a lot more personal than it was intended.  I hadn't meant to come across as personally "vindictive" and if that is the case, then I do most heartily apologize.  However, I do still stand by my previous statement:
Far be it for me to nitpik at someone else's vision of happiness, and I must add that Paul always struck me as being very kind (at least to me)... however, I can not help but feel that something in the environment at Hyde (the water?!) primed these two to go this route...

As to your impression that I was "pathologically vulnerable", you are in the right ballpark, although I would not go so far as to use the term pathological.  Hyde has a well-documented history of accepting students with problems and in my case, a history of major depression.  To have that turned around and used as inexorable evidence of my woefully deficient character rather than to be acknowleged for what it actually was, not to mention the actions taken against said woefully deficient character, precipitated an even steeper downward spiral than had been there before.  That isn't the whole story of their culpability, of course, but the one I'll address here.  I am happy for you that you have been blessed with such a robust sense of self that you have been able to emerge seemingly unscathed by your Hyde experience.  Not everyone has been so lucky.  For my part, I have found this site to be most healing and illuminating, present exchange excepted.

Please be more careful with your quotes, Mike.  You inserted a few lines of text into my quote which were not there before.  "We own what we write", and I don't own those words and don't particularly care to have them attributed to me.  I have taken the liberty of removing them within this reply, but they are still there in your post for all eternity, as it were.

Urs
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 01:02:48 AM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
I've reached an age where I have begun researching my past. The Internet makes that possible. I am glad that I discovered this site and had the opportunity to analyze what are arguably the two strangest years of my life. On the other hand, while I am not discounting the painful experiences of others, I do not feel that my experience left any lasting damage. So when you, Ursus, go on record as saying that you are STILL recovering from your Hyde experience, I am bowled over. What could possibly have been so bad? At first, I admit, I thought that you were pathologically vulnerable. Now I'm beginning to wonder if you are not also pathologically vindictive. Forgive me for being so frank, but the explanation was in order.

I still don't understand the relevance of your proverb. Did you really think I was cursing you?

Mike

I am not Ursus, but want to point something out to you Mike.  It is obvious to me that Ursus is bitter towards Hyde because he has not had closure.  I totally relate to this.  I am not sure I would use the word "vindictive" to describe someone who is angry and bitter.  True that many times we are angry at ourselves for various reasons like the fact I wish I would have stood up to those scums at Hyde. I am angry at myself that I participated in bullying my classmates by getting caught up in the whole system.  We were kids and we were truly brainwashed and for that some of us are angry at ourselves that we succumbed to this.  Rather than admonishing Ursus, I believe he needs closure.

Ursus, would it not help to talk to Gary Eskow who is doing an article on Hyde?  Would you not feel better knowing that you have helped prevent another child from going through what you and I have?  I don't know you, but it always helps me to feel like I have done all I could to "right a wrong."  This is not vindictive, it is helping others. I can't imagine looking the other way knowing that many more kids will be traumatized at Hyde when I could have helped to avoid this.  It might be just what you need Ursus.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 03:10:30 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

Mike

I am not Ursus, but want to point something out to you Mike.  It is obvious to me that Ursus is bitter towards Hyde because he has not had closure.  I totally relate to this.  I am not sure I would use the word "vindictive" to describe someone who is angry and bitter.  True that many times we are angry at ourselves for various reasons like the fact I wish I would have stood up to those scums at Hyde. I am angry at myself that I participated in bullying my classmates by getting caught up in the whole system.  We were kids and we were truly brainwashed and for that some of us are angry at ourselves that we succumbed to this.  Rather than admonishing Ursus, I believe he needs closure.

Ursus, would it not help to talk to Gary Eskow who is doing an article on Hyde?  Would you not feel better knowing that you have helped prevent another child from going through what you and I have?  I don't know you, but it always helps me to feel like I have done all I could to "right a wrong."  This is not vindictive, it is helping others. I can't imagine looking the other way knowing that many more kids will be traumatized at Hyde when I could have helped to avoid this.  It might be just what you need Ursus.

Thank you, kind Guest, for your words of validation.  You have no idea how much they mean to me.  We really should be sticking together in all this, instead of ripping each other apart.

And I am sorry, Mike, if I seemed at all harsh re. your inserting text into my quote.  I am sure it was inadvertant.

You are right, kind Guest, for pointing out that I need closure.  It is very difficult to get closure when Hyde is not publically recognized for what it is.  Even close friends, not to mention my immediate family, can not possibly understand.  Save for this board, I feel so very much alone in this oh too private hell...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 03:58:06 PM »

Mike

Thank you, kind Guest, for your words of validation.  You have no idea how much they mean to me.  We really should be sticking together in all this, instead of ripping each other apart.

And I am sorry, Mike, if I seemed at all harsh re. your inserting text into my quote.  I am sure it was inadvertant.

You are right, kind Guest, for pointing out that I need closure.  It is very difficult to get closure when Hyde is not publically recognized for what it is.  Even close friends, not to mention my immediate family, can not possibly understand.  Save for this board, I feel so very much alone in this oh too private hell...

Ursus, have you spoken to Gary?  Is this something you would consider?  I too do not want my name or my parents name mentioned in the article, but I know Gary will respect my privacy so I am not worried.  I felt very good telling Gary my experience at Hyde and knowing that my story might help others.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 05:14:34 PM »

I am glad that I discovered this site and had the opportunity to analyze what are arguably the two strangest years of my life. On the other hand, while I am not discounting the painful experiences of others, I do not feel that my experience left any lasting damage.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.  So in a strange way Hyde is charater education.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Release_of_An_Oath
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 06:10:15 PM »

negated previously avowed sentiments and allegiances on her part towards me. And you are right, I shouldn't have taken it personally

Ursus, I take it that you knew Vanda post hyde "runnaway" and she agreed with you in your anti - hyde views.  Ever list to the Electric Prunes?  The piece from the mass in F minor that was in Easy Rider was my favorite.  I have this on vinyl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_of_An_Oath

I also have wood heat, Vanda is wrong on both the fire and vinyl question.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Release_of_An_Oath
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 06:22:30 PM »

negated previously avowed sentiments and allegiances on her part towards me. And you are right, I shouldn't have taken it personally

Ursus, I take it that you knew Vanda post hyde "runnaway" and she agreed with you in your anti - hyde views.  Ever list to the Electric Prunes?  The piece from the mass in F minor that was in Easy Rider was my favorite.  I have this on vinyl:

Check this out:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... id=1574789

Prunes on CD in 12 days.  Too much to dream. Co - incidence?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2007, 03:11:19 AM »
Ursus,

I regretted my strong words upon posting, but what can you do: verba volant scripta manent. I thank you for setting me straight. I'm quick to confront, partly because of the circumstances of my upbringing, partly because I'm living in a very tough neighborhood. I try to direct my challenges to the right address (e.g., 616 High St.), but sometimes I get it wrong. Although you may not know it, I've always attached great value to your posts which, like the one about Michelle, demonstrate empathy and an identification with what is good in people. I value the posts of Emil, too, which are funny, down to earth, and on occasion --- but this is really rare --- lucid. In fact, through the welter of complementary personalities on this board a fairly well-rounded picture of Hyde is emerging. That is something that I would not want the occasional challenge to jeopardize.

Mike

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2007, 09:03:21 AM »
Mike

but this is really rare --- lucid

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lucid

1.   easily understood; completely intelligible or comprehensible

Ok not always easily understood,  but with a little work completely intelligible or comprehensible.

3.   shining or bright.  

Always shining and bright like a crazy diamond, except I don't live with my Mom.  ( know that this remark is, with a little work, completely intelligible or comprehensible.)  Here I will do a little work for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Barrett

2.   characterized by clear perception or understanding; rational or sane: a lucid moment in his madness.

I guess the fact that I am not a strick materialist and I do not believe there is a rational answer for every question, may make some of my rambling murky but threw a glass darkly, not dim.

4.   clear; pellucid; transparent.

see reply to number 2

I am sure that you can pick my posts out.  I have not been signing them lately

Emil

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2007, 09:23:44 AM »
Mike

but this is really rare --- lucid

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lucid

1.   easily understood; completely intelligible or comprehensible

Ok not always easily understood,  but with a little work completely intelligible or comprehensible.

3.   shining or bright.  

Always shining and bright like a crazy diamond, except I don't live with my Mom.  ( know that this remark is, with a little work, completely intelligible or comprehensible.)  Here I will do a little work for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Barrett

2.   characterized by clear perception or understanding; rational or sane: a lucid moment in his madness.

I guess the fact that I am not a strick materialist and I do not believe there is a rational answer for every question, may make some of my rambling murky but threw a glass darkly, not dim.

4.   clear; pellucid; transparent.

see reply to number 2

I am sure that you can pick my posts out.  I have not been signing them lately

Emil

If meaning is built up through not linear but associative logic, and your post consequently becomes a vehicle for extended meditation on a range of seemingly remote topics, then you're lucid.

Mike

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2007, 10:27:57 AM »
Mike,

I strive to be non-linear.  Linear is one step down from L7.  Strive for sphereness and listen to some Monk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_%28slang%29.

Always remember the admonition of Sam the Sham: "don't be no L7"

Emil

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2007, 04:04:49 AM »

Check this out:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... id=1574789

Prunes on CD in 12 days.  Too much to dream. Co - incidence?

Emil (?) - I didn't listen to the ElecPrunes that much, but that doesn't mean anything other than I haven't gotten to them yet!    :lol:   I have somewhat electic tastes.  The CD that has been currently living in my player of late is Blaine L. Reininger's 'Night Air 2' (BLR formerly of TuxedoMoon)... It is sometimes (erroneously, IMO) described as a sequel to (the first) Night Air, but it really is more of a compilation of sorts of some of his previous material.  Many of the tracks were used in a soundtrack or soundtracks of one or more films by Nicholas Triandafyllidis.  I have not seen any of the latter's films, but the music is quite cinematic, which is something I rather like...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2007, 10:26:39 PM »
Ursus,

I regretted my strong words upon posting, but what can you do: verba volant scripta manent. I thank you for setting me straight. I'm quick to confront, partly because of the circumstances of my upbringing, partly because I'm living in a very tough neighborhood. I try to direct my challenges to the right address (e.g., 616 High St.), but sometimes I get it wrong. Although you may not know it, I've always attached great value to your posts which, like the one about Michelle, demonstrate empathy and an identification with what is good in people. I value the posts of Emil, too, which are funny, down to earth, and on occasion --- but this is really rare --- lucid. In fact, through the welter of complementary personalities on this board a fairly well-rounded picture of Hyde is emerging. That is something that I would not want the occasional challenge to jeopardize.

Mike

Hey Mike, Thanks for your kind and insightful words.  I do very much value your posts as well, as I do Emil's!  No worries re. occasional challenges; life is too short.

Did you know that was Michelle straining for the finish line in that old B&W photo depicted in last fall's Alumni newsletter?  (I think that is what it's called, at any rate, it is available from the school site online.).  I believe that might be the fall of 1975, if I am not mistaken... Urs

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2007, 08:55:16 AM »

Mike

Ursus, any chance of my being able to email you privately? Can you give yourself an email address on yahoo or another place so that I can contact you? BTW, I am the "kind guest."

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2007, 09:34:52 AM »

And I am sorry, Mike, if I seemed at all harsh re. your inserting text into my quote.  I am sure it was inadvertent.

You are right, kind Guest, for pointing out that I need closure.  It is very difficult to get closure when Hyde is not publicly recognized for what it is.  Even close friends, not to mention my immediate family, can not possibly understand.  Save for this board, I feel so very much alone in this oh too private hell...

Ursus, any chance of my being able to email you privately? Can you give yourself an email address on yahoo or another place so that I can contact you? BTW, I am the "kind guest."

Take the leap to avatar??   ::birthday::

If I remember correctly, I think roughly one third of the members on this forum have zero posts.  While some of those are actually there for no good reason, i.e., they have junk websites attached that they (not Fornits) hope you'll visit, most of those zero-post members are probably people who registered for the primary purpose of private mailing someone.

When you register, here is the information that is asked of you:  username (your posting ID), email address, password, confirm password.  Everything else is optional.  The site does not retain the password, although the association of username and email address is fixed, you will need to send a confirmation reply back at some point...