Author Topic: Maia vs. Kruglick?  (Read 7097 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« on: January 17, 2007, 08:24:39 PM »
Exclusive: New York State Acts to End Abuses at Elan School  (6 comments )
READ MORE: Maine, Poland, Michael Skakel

The Elan School in Poland, Maine is notorious for allegedly forcibly extracting a murder confession from Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel. According to witnesses, it happened in the late 70's, during a "therapy session" in which he was forced to box fresh opponents while being verbally humiliated until he admitted the crime. But such abuse didn't stop in the 70's: incredibly, the school used "the ring" procedure until at least 2000 with impunity.

During its three-decades-plus history, Elan has repeatedly been accused of human rights violations and severe child abuse. All that time, state regulators somehow failed to corroborate dozens of horrifying accounts of maltreatment, which sometimes came in the form of sworn courtroom testimony.

But following an investigation spurred by my reporting for a recent New York Times op-ed, the New York State Department of Education (NYSED) has written to Elan, stating that it has "compliance issues" with the state's regulations. New York is involved because it uses taxpayer money to send emotionally disturbed and learning disabled children to the school, having approved it as an "emergency placement" for such teens.

According to a letter from New York to Elan released to me today by NYSED, the "compliance issues" include "students restraining other students," excessive use of isolation as punishment, "sleep deprivation" and "students 'counseling' other students and using coercive and confrontational language, which includes yelling and swearing." The letter also notes that Elan isn't providing the required number of hours of classroom instruction for NY students and that students are not qualified as counselors.

In other words, just as former students have claimed for decades, Elan uses abusive, degrading and violent tactics that have long been discredited as therapy even for the hardcore heroin addicts to which they were originally applied and which have no place in the education of the learning disabled or mentally ill or anyone else for that matter.

If Elan doesn't begin using qualified counselors to run therapy groups, bar students from disciplining each other, stop making them stay up all night to guard each other, stop using lengthy periods of isolation as punishment and stop making students restrain each other-- as well as adjust its entire education program to meet state requirements--- within a week, New York will no longer allow students to attend. A copy of the letter has also been sent to Maine education officials.

Let's hope this is the beginning of the end for this senseless relic. I also want to thank the brave students who were willing to talk with me and with state officials in order to help put an end to the abuse of their peers. We now know what works to help kids with addictions, with learning disabilities, with psychiatric problems and behavior issues. It's not abuse, but empathy and respect.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maia-szalavitz/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Mister Pink

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:35:15 PM »
One State of out 50!! fuck yea. I found an old pop n' structure (remember that one... haha) and most of elan's students during my time came from NY, NJ, Con., and Mass. Thats a good chunk of their business, and this pleases me.

Fuck all the bullshit on this site, I don't even hate elan or anything, I just think it should disappear. The only way to attack elan is the attack their money, and the GREAT state if New York has made an impact.
quot;Its a shame the way she makes me scrub the floor\" - Bob Dylan

Offline Mister Pink

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 09:37:12 PM »
My girlfriend is sexy :)
quot;Its a shame the way she makes me scrub the floor\" - Bob Dylan

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 06:43:56 AM »
Jast takes so long to blow her up
 :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline xres8182

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 10:33:58 AM »
"New York is involved because it uses taxpayer money to send emotionally disturbed and learning disabled children to the school, having approved it as an "emergency placement" for such teens."

It was these kids that collected the most abuse IMO. Especially the emotionally disturbed. Phil W was sent there because he witnessed his mom being shot by his dad and became a ward of the state. How do you figure a boxing ring is going to straighten him out?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 03:34:52 PM »
Congratulations, ladies and gentlemen, on finally hosting one non-fucked up thread!

To top it off, it's actually good news, too.

Sometimes, we New Yorkers can take pride in the actions of our state government.  

First they ('they' being Eliot Spitzer) knocked the Academy at Ivy Ridge out of the frame and ruled AIR to be a 'behavior modification center,' not a school (a HUGE precedent in the legal fight against these shit-holes), and now they FINALLY stop sending these poor kids to be abused at Elan (I can understand the Elan program, as I worked at Daytop and Elan is a Daytop spin-off, complete down to the terminology).

For fuck's sake, it took long enough, but now it's finally done.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 07:22:43 PM »
like I said, one down, forty-nine to go

Offline odie

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 11:46:29 AM »
"Sometimes we New Yorkers can take pride in the actions of our state government"
Thanks for reminding me why I moved out of that shit hole to the tranquility of Maine. Now I'm neither a supporter of Elan or a follower of this Maia character but I did see something of interest in the blog comments that should be looked into if true.

"But now who will investigate NYSED for its recent amendments that permit corporal punishment of disabled children under the guise of "aversive interventions" -- interventions for which there is no research support, interventions which violate human rights treatises, and interventions which fly in the face of federal protections for developmentally disabled youth?"

Yup kinda sounds like the NYSED should clean up it's own act before telling other states to clean up theirs.
die

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 03:01:22 PM »
Quote from: ""odie""
"Sometimes we New Yorkers can take pride in the actions of our state government"
Thanks for reminding me why I moved out of that shit hole to the tranquility of Maine. Now I'm neither a supporter of Elan or a follower of this Maia character but I did see something of interest in the blog comments that should be looked into if true.

"But now who will investigate NYSED for its recent amendments that permit corporal punishment of disabled children under the guise of "aversive interventions" -- interventions for which there is no research support, interventions which violate human rights treatises, and interventions which fly in the face of federal protections for developmentally disabled youth?"

Yup kinda sounds like the NYSED should clean up it's own act before telling other states to clean up theirs.

::rocker::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 07:58:12 AM »
Let's hope this is the beginning of the end for this senseless relic. I also want to thank the brave students who were willing to talk with me and with state officials in order to help put an end to the abuse of their peers. We now know what works to help kids with addictions, with learning disabilities, with psychiatric problems and behavior issues. It's not abuse, but empathy and respect.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maia-szalavitz/

Perhaps now some healing can begin?  Let's stop with the "abuse of [our] peers"...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 08:38:04 PM »
Maia
I did read some of your postings and what followed (usually the same crud here) I commend you for your efforts.I thank you for exposing some truth to the circus that was the Skakel trial.Even if they dont abuse children the way they did in my day. They should be investigated for a number of decietful and un lawful business practices that I would bet still take place today.They have had years to perfect their deceptive practices.I spoke with and traded emails with a number of officials in the Dept of Education in Me.
It was like a hush hush,of  who's who.Its my belief that alot (I mean alot) of money changes hands to keep Sharon in her Mercedes.
Ill gotten gains have a funny way of being found out,if one knows where to look.I hope the IRS comes a calling. If we got 500 parents to bring all of their bills from Elan to one place to be sorted out,I can promise,the inconsistancies would entertain Uncle Sam's tax men for weeks.Just some thoughts and a heartfelt thank you
The Real Art

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 11:43:14 PM »
I just want you to know how much I appreciate you standing up for all of us that suffered at Elan.  We were all stripped of our self respect and dignity and made to feel helpless at the hands of the under educated and over zealous staff at The Elan School.  
I wish that I had the strength to lead this fight myself but it is only recently that I have found the strength to confront the reality of my past.
I am sure that I speak for all of us when I say thank you for fighting our fight... you will never know how much this means to us.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 12:19:56 AM »
Holy crap! Somebody asked me earlier today what was up w/ Elan. I figured I'd look later and find another massive flood attack or some such. Something's not right here! You guys feeling ok?
 ::poke::
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 07:11:34 AM »
Quote from: ""Cassandra""
Holy crap! Somebody asked me earlier today what was up w/ Elan. I figured I'd look later and find another massive flood attack or some such. Something's not right here! You guys feeling ok?
 ::poke::

Maybe you could change your insulting intro to the Elan threads please.It seems Dave,Nazi and whomever else he has pretended to be has taken a leave of absense.Funny what losing the head troll has done to your site.It has made it worth attending and participating in.
Not that anyone has ever said that would happen :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia vs. Kruglick?
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 12:33:48 PM »
He's still around. He was calling Felice a cu##  yesterday.