Author Topic: What happened to compassion and empathy?  (Read 9662 times)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
What happened to compassion and empathy?
« on: January 14, 2007, 08:58:07 AM »
I remember when I was still a wool-over-the-eyes kid/teenager... nothing really phased me. Gross stuff, gore, screaming damsels/terrorists in action flicks was so much of a spectacle to me like watching a demolition derby or some pyro setting off fireworks, or Jackass? (sup wee man!!) and its only after Ive become an ah-dolt that.... well, stuff I see actually seems to 'click'.

And then, well, I just HAD to click that FARK link to the guardian where it covered Tranquility Bay back in 04...  :roll: then I just HAD to keep going back to it because of how fucked up it was... and well, I ended up here long story short.

One thing that really just burns me with both just... outright frustration and contempt, and on the other hand outright stunned confusion is that it really seems that nobody ever thinks or really gives a fuck about thinking what it must be like to be going through what those other people are going through. Nobody ever seems to think about this shit from the perspective of the kid, or the kids sibling. Nobody dares think what its like to be helplessly shoved face down on the ground with your limbs being twisted, elbows and knees in your back, some fat fuck leaning his weight on you (and possibly an erection, for that matter) while zombie-faced inmates stare blankly and more staffers run up....

Not just the program parents, staffers, etc, mind you, but the average person these days seems to just have absolutely nothing left in them to make them consider what it must be like for the people suffering. At all. Hell, when I first read about those LGATs I was unsure if I was more angry or terrified of it, and it still sticks in my mind... I don't expect the average idiot to understand what an LGAT could do to you mentally, but I DO think the physical brutality, fear and helplessness from being trapped in a program and not knowing how or when you would get out, and ESPECIALLY having your own family turned against you could click with the average sheep... but they don't.

Are they unable, or do they just not care anymore? That question really sticks in my mind, and I'm kind of afraid of what the answer might turn out to be...

Oh, and as far as the beginning of my post goes? Now I can't watch shit about the holocaust, or hear the intro to Schindler's list with other people around me anymore, unless I'm not worried about being humiliated by showing emotion infront of them. I simply can not stand it. Also, shit like "SAW" or "Gothika" fucks me up goooood. Ugh.

I'm starting to wonder if compassion and empathy are liabilities in the USA, this day and age. It seems to be to "BE AMERICAN!!1one" means I have to just sing "By Jingo, will" and be a typical white-bread twit, buy the truthiness-laden nonsense and politico-chauvinistic excuses and justifications for this and that, be "hard" on everyone, bitch about entitlement issues... but not say a word when the 'ah-dolts' in the equation feel ENTITLED to spend conspicuously, live vicariously through their kids, spend themselves into debt, drive SUV's and bitch about gasoline.

Yeah, I'm bitching, but I got a point here. WHERE DID IT GO? Why the hypocrisy and lack of anyone ever daring to look out the eyes of someone else who is getting the short end of the stick here, if not being beat with a few of them? It still burns me to know how program parents turn their backs on their own children and don't DARE (haha, wow... that word again) think about what their kid is going through, just cling and squeeze to the bullshit about how they're 'thriving'.

Ugh. I guess we're all square pegs and this country is fulla' some round assholes!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 09:08:41 AM »

R.I.P. ...

I wonder when someone who runs a program is going to have a change of heart and realize those kids are human beings?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 09:36:35 AM »
It's still around Niles, there are people out there who really care

Alot of the trouble is with the law, guy runs to aid of girl getting beaten up, then ends up in custody for assault on her assailant, or dead cos he got stabbed

guy asks kid if he/she is okay when being dragged down the street kicking & screaming by unkown adult (YOU don't know it's their parent do you?), next thing you know he's got a pedo label and a broken nose from angry parent

When something bad happens, in hindsight we can all wish we'd done something differently, at the time we tend to shut our doors because it's not our business, the police will hold a press conference begging for witnesses and then leave that witness unprotected, they also won't protect someone who has acted out of genuine concern when it's nothing bad, just a pissed of parent who's had their 7 year old throw everything off the shelves in the supermarket

Shit happenes, you can't save the world, you can make a difference of course, any group of people can, but you can't save everyone, it's always been the case and always will be, don't let it eat you up because you can't rescue everyone single handedly

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »
Not even that, Exhausted.

People don't even feel anything anymore... thats my point.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:06:34 AM »
I agree with Niles. We have become de-sensitized. I posted elsewhere that an Internet poll results showed that 61 percent of Americans felt torture was justified under certain circumstances. That would have been unthinkable 30 years ago. It would have been poltical suicide to even suggest that you endorsed or even condoned torture. Now, it is accepted policy.

Our culture has slipped into a tough-love, tough-on-crime, self-righteous, and angry mob, willing to throw away civil rights in order to force conformity and seek an imanginary safety. It sucks.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 10:19:26 AM »
Europe looks oh-so fucking appealing right now...

Should I get my major, then run off, or run there and use their education system? Shit, they let in people who will never get educated all the time....  :rofl: surely they'd want me paying into their tax system!

I'm sure I'd get along better mentally in europe, thats for sure... just the whole 'distant' thing and lack of social interaction and interpersonal... er, everything thats part of life here would make me seem like a weirdo or really skittish in europe for a while  :x

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 12:36:44 PM »
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""
Europe looks oh-so fucking appealing right now...

Should I get my major, then run off, or run there and use their education system? Shit, they let in people who will never get educated all the time....  :rofl: surely they'd want me paying into their tax system!

I'm sure I'd get along better mentally in europe, thats for sure... just the whole 'distant' thing and lack of social interaction and interpersonal... er, everything thats part of life here would make me seem like a weirdo or really skittish in europe for a while  :x

Don't cop out on us Niles.. We need all the help we can get here in the USA.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 01:15:36 PM »
HI exhausted Im glad your still around and didnt let nastiness shoo you away

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 02:07:10 PM »
Alot of heavy conservitive propogana. Very wealthy corps own every media outlet out there. (Including myspace -have fun having your email and site reviewed for "security" and infomation mining purposes)
The nastier they can influence us to be, the more we will cravenly buy their products and  allow them to run our govts so they can abuse humanity to their monetary and peronal advantage

"What? 150,000 Iraqi civilians killed, what? 20 people got cancer exposed to dangerous toxins, what? someone dyin and too poor to get medicine? what do i care?"
Consider this: according to the US census beauro in the 1970s the #1 priority young men had was to acheive by the time they died "understanding life, develouping a competant life philosophy that can be put to use to help those in their personal lives and community"

the #1 priority young men have to day according the US census beauro is  having a sucessful economic career.

Theyve done their job well. You should read a book called "whats a matter with kansas" It explains the phenomenon of AMericans beleiving that empathy is bad

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 04:28:21 PM »
:(

Wonder why its so tempting to run away to the rest of humanity? Eventually you just wanna say "ENOUGH" and go be happy somewhere that actually learned from what happened in the 20th century!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 07:01:55 PM »
People suck everywhere, they are all the exact same, just with different accents. You got to pick and choose wisely and stay around the good and leave the bad behind. There are worse places to live than the states.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 07:02:33 PM »
No doubt.

There are also better places.

I think I just gotta find the right state IN the USA... heh.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 07:30:44 PM »
For a while I was bogged down in this kind of negative thinking. it is certainly disturbing to think that tough love is more popular than ever and i feel that Bush has encouraged this idea with him alarmingly gung ho rhetoric on Iraq.
But lets look at the positives
-There are many more people in the US who dont sent their kids to these crazy places than those who do
-There was a pretty public outcry in your part of the world about the Anderson death, perhaps this represented a turning point.
-People made their feelings on Iraq clear in the last election.
-Brat Camp may be broadcast internationally but the more people who know of this industry, the more focus can be placed on its flaws. Afterall 2 years ago there was nobody outside the US who posted here. Now more people from around the world are slowly taking note.
-George Clooney still makes movies. So the world cant all be bad
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 07:32:34 PM »
Meh, at least beer in this nation has come a LONG way, among craft brews anyway.

I need to head to ybor sometime...  :lol:

I think I just need to find a state, or at least a community more in line with how I am. Soulless suburban sprawl in florida ain't it, thats for sure.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »
When Bush was elected (both times) a large number of Americans moved to Canada. I did not like that because that meant fewer votes against him in this country.

If you leave, they win. Shoud you obey the conservative conservative mantra of, "Love it or leave it."

This is my country! I'm not going to let these neo-con idiots drive me out of it. I will do everything in my power to drive them out [of office].