Author Topic: Talk with Mom about Straight  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Talk with Mom about Straight
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:50:35 AM »
Last night I went to dinner with my mom here in Austin.  Nice place, good food.  About the middle of our meal the manager came up to us and asked if everything was to our liking and so forth.  I kept looking at him, as he looked SO familiar.  I sort of forgot what he was saying and just blurted out "Whats your name?"....My sense of decorum had blown out the window and it was a very interrogatory tone I took with him, it was almost instinctual.

Turns out he was exactly who I thought he was, a guy who was on fifth when I went into the program.  He told me his first name, and
I tagged his last onto it.  He didnt recognize me right away, so I pulled him across the table and whispered "I was in Straight with you".  Weird realization ensued....and he just smiled and started telling me about how he was doing these days.

My clearest memory of him was standing me up at the very begining of an OMR which almost exclusively was dedicted to ripping me and my sanity to shreds.  Frankly, I wasnt too concerned with how he was doing lately.  He was courteous and all, but I spent the rest of the meal paranoid about being in the room with him.

That being said...mom and I started talking about Straight on the way home. Something that always ends up unsettling.  I was telling her about some of the abusive things I witnessed and encountered....of which she tried to counter with her horror stories of being in the convent for 14 years (mom was a cloistered nun from age 18-32).  She says to me,  imagine how it was to go through it for 14 years!  I got a little angry and told her that it really wasnt fair to say that, as she had the choice to leave at any time while in the convent.  I was incarcerated and under duress.  Of which she replied that no, that wasnt the case because her "therapists" all told her later on that she was stuck there "emotionally".  Effectively saying that she wasnt responsible for herself while in there because she was too brainwashed.  I dunno about you guys, but I reallly hate it when mom tries to justify her behaviors with the old "I didnt know any better" routine.  She applies it to most everything these days...and lately has begun even making things up about certain painful incidents that are so far from the truth I wonder if she isnt losing her mind.  I talk to her about traumatizing incidents when I was young that she exposed me too, and her answers are always sprinkled with how she knew it was wrong, but for whatever reason, usually someone elses influence...she didnt stand up for me.  That or she insists that she never screamed at me for certain things at all, and in fact tried to comfort me about them.....I almost slapped her once when she did this, I was so angry.  She had bullied and yelled at me so horrificly once because I accidently dropped a new doll and it broke (it was glass).  Only now to tell me that she never even got angry at me, and in fact tried to "comfort" me.  I was traumatized by that incident for the better part of my childhood....and she insisted she was never cruel.

Anyone else get this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 09:09:10 AM »
Completely.  I just started speaking to my dad again after about 6 years of no contact at all.  He's still pretty washed but making slow progress.  I go through the same thing with him.  He either minimalizes things, justifies them or flat out doesn't remember.  The best explanation I can come up with is the obvious one.  Guilt.  I see it in myself with certain things from raising my own kids.  The incidents we differ on seem to be the ones that I feel some guilt for in how I handled.  I mean we all make mistakes in parenting but I can't imagine having to come to the realization of the depth and breadth of that kind of "mistake".  He was always a distant and controlling father and Straight just validated all of that behavior for him with the Tough Love philosophy.  I don't know if my dad and I will ever have the kind of relationship I'd like to have.  I don't think he's capable.  At least not right now, but it does feel better to have at least gotten to the point where both of us are willing to try.  Good luck.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
I profoundly get it.

This is why I don't even speak to my mother anymore.

That, and she has lost her mind.
[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
He still don't get it.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 03:32:40 PM »
I can talk to my mom about Straight, but it is never really satisfying.  She pulled away from the program before I made 3rd phase and turned all custody rights and privileges over to my dad.  I was made to feel that my mom was "full of problems and too stupid to do drugs."  My mom was a victim of the program, yet never really did a damn thing either way to badmouth straight, or correct any damage.
In fact, a few years later she joined a cult like church that had started off of Ulmerton Road near Sunshine Speedway.

My father on the other hand is still pretty much pro-Straight.  He seems to feel that as long as the parent has the money to pay for it, behavioral modification is a right of the upper class.  He fails to acknowlege that goddamn children do a poor job of raising themselves and if you want your son to be on the football team, you could at least get off your air conditioned ass and go outside and toss the ball around with him.  I was left to my own devises.

So anyway, we got what we got now.  I think my dad may resent me for not being married and giving him any legitamate bonafide grandchildren, but what the fuck can you expect?  I had to completely start my life over from scratch at 25, so here I am 44, but really it's only been 19 years that 'my mind is right,' plus I did it all on my own with absolutely no help from anyone.  The first ten years of that period was spent simply learning how to leave the house without hating every fucking thing that I encountered, the next 5 years were spent learning to be at peace with the world, and these last four years have been learning to be at peace with myself.

One thing about being an SSDI recipient is that this country does not make it easy in any way.  The pressure to just break the chains and say FUCK IT ALL, take some classes and come away with a high paying job is there all the time now that I am spending time with my dad again.  There are times when I feel that I am just wasting time and being unproductive, and this feeling looms over me that something really fucking bad is gonna happen if I don't start making big money soon.    
        I think that one thing that may help snap me out of this is for me and my dad to go out and bowl a few frames.  He used to be pretty damn good at it and it took 15 years of marriage before the Wicked Stepmother could get him to throw out his Bowling Trophies from his days at General Electric.  When it comes to me, I bowl irratic as hell.  One game I'll bowl a 196, the next, an 87, hell, I guess it depends on how hot looking the women are or how many beers I drink.  The thing is......... I never learned how to bowl.  I don't know the proper stance, how to hold the ball, release it, or any of that shit.  Jesus, don't even try to get me to do score, that shit is rocket science to me!!  But one thing that bowling represents, is a nuetral ground where me and my dad can just be Father and Son and share some quality time together.  Like the time he took me to the Tennessee aquarium on my birthday.  My dad has a year-round pass and alot of the staff there even call him Charlie.  He had a good time showing me off and showing me around.  He did'nt even need to introduce me as his son, I guess they could pretty much tell and for the first time in SEVERAL years, I felt good about being around him.  We still got a long way to go, and while we may not agree on everything, he at least agrees that tough love is just forcing your will upon someone under the disguise of "care."
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 03:46:28 PM »
BTW - Morli, congrats on the bebe, youre prego right?  I just heard that recently!  When are you due?  I have 2 months to go....

On Mom, yeah....I guess that makes sense...but its SO frustrating when she tries to take credit for EVERYTHING as if she never wanted to make the wrong choice.  Not just about putting me in Straight, but her neglect and blindness stemming from my early childhood on.  I mean, she was leaving me at home alone from the age of 6....who needs to tell ANYONE that thats wrong?  One day she actually left to go out of town for the day with good old step-dad, and I got a prank call from an older man telling me he was going to come into my house and rape me and all manner of deeply explicit violation....I ran screaming out into the streets of my neighborhood in panic, luckily some neighbors heard me wailing and took me in...I had to wait 6 hours for mom to get home because she didnt even leave a way to contact her...I was only 7.  I wonder to this day if my sicko step-dad didnt set the call up just to hurt me.

And she will just say that my step-dad talked her into it, he "convinced" her it was okay to leave.  Its always some one elses fault....her harsh and unfair discipline on me as a teenager was my aunts fault, because my mother says she followed her advice on everything about me because HER kids turned out so well.  Nevermind that my aunt was a sadistic abuser and took great joy in abusing me emotionally when I got shipped off to her for a year. And she was always wanting to get away from my step-dad because she KNEW I was suffering...only took her 9 years to do it, and you could have skinnned me alive and hung me up to dry before ever seeing that she knew I was suffering.

Its all over, and things are different now...but I guess seeing that guy caught me off guard...triggered even a small aspect of my defensive survivalist that I hadnt broken out in many moons.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 04:00:22 PM »
To Jerk - Youre right...things are different now and we do have only what we have.  I work on accepting that most every day with my mom and dad....and the resentment never really creeps up on me, in fact I like to think Im over it.  As I mentioned, I think I just got a little chafed at seeing that person and being with mom at the same time.  Like a deep part of me that lie sleeping was just at the surface.

On making money and having a high paying job - the bottom line, if you arent doing something you absolutely love, there isnt a dollar in the world gonna buy you anything otherwise.  I make that promise from understanding and experience.  One thing alot of people dont get is if you dont have money, and then get alot of money...you still dont know how to HAVE money.  You will still feel the same feelings, make the same choices and progress professionally down the same avenues as you did when you had nothing.  You can come to realize the true deep meaning of the idea that money doesnt buy happiness.  It doesnt buy anything....it doesnt buy relief, or stability or safety...I promise it doesnt.  It may look like it from the outside....but I learned that until you are right with yourself....there isnt any amount that will buy your freedom from self-doubt or self-pity.  In my personal experience I found that the only thing money did for me was open a door to become something that I truly love, and perform a service to others that I was made for.....a career that DOES NOT pay much, mind you.  I had to work hard, I had to heal and I had to take alot of risk to trust I was gonna succeed.  It was scary as hell, and having money didnt make it one ounce less fearful...swear to ya.  Seems you are on the right path...dont let anyone press you into making money....press YOURSELF into having success, whatever that may mean the most of to YOU.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 05:24:11 PM »
Quote from: ""001010" That, and she [i"
has[/i] lost her mind.

She's "lost her mind" but YOU are the one on the banana phone?  Funny.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 12:11:50 AM »
I never was able to talk about Straight with my parents without getting into a raging argument.  After Straight, and for the rest of their lives, we were only able to have shallow, surface conversations about the weather or football, or how my car was running.  Like my friend Johnny Reb says, "Straight destroyed everything they said they were going to heal".

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 02:24:00 AM »
I miss my dad. Only ever had one really candid conversation with him about the program. Didn't need any more than that. He asked me why I hadn't told him about all the fucked up shit that was going on. I looked at him like he was stupid and reminded him that he would have reported me to staff. He knew it was true and that told the whole damned story right there. Shit, I could kick him in the teeth sometimes for teaching me to think things through so carefully. I used to daydream about getting called into the office and there would be my dad come to take me home. But I couldn't help think it through to the conclusion that it would probably have been a mindfuck and the tactically correct move would be to decline.

That that jaded old canny hillbilly bought so hard for awhile? That fucking warped my reality. I don't think I've looked at the world or any mother fucker in it the same way since.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 11:09:56 AM »
Quote from: ""Carmel""
BTW - Morli, congrats on the bebe, youre prego right?  I just heard that recently!  When are you due?  I have 2 months to go....

I have 2 months to go too, actually a little under! He's due March 18th.

Do you know the sex? Where are you registered? One of my good friends here has two months to go also. What color is the baby's room?! I'm so happy for you guys...  :wink:

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 11:12:20 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
She's "lost her mind" but YOU are the one on the banana phone?  Funny.

Hehe... They are full of potassium!  :wink:

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 02:41:07 PM »
Quote from: ""001010""

Do you know the sex? Where are you registered? One of my good friends here has two months to go also. What color is the baby's room?! I'm so happy for you guys...  :wink:

LOLOLOL....Im due March 19th!  You and I had the same idea on the same day!

So...here we are in hell together...! I swear the end is the hardest.....waddling around like an obese penguin.

Its a boy, of course....more men in my life to give me trouble.  I had some complications at the outset, but hes truckin along fine now...growing and making my midsection a misery!  Ill be having him at The Woodlands Memorial.

Give me your yahoo ID via PM, and we will chat!

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 08:35:13 PM »
Quote from: ""001010""

LOLOLOL....Im due March 19th!  You and I had the same idea on the same day!

So...here we are in hell together...! I swear the end is the hardest.....waddling around like an obese penguin.

Its a boy, of course....more men in my life to give me trouble.  I had some complications at the outset, but hes truckin along fine now...growing and making my midsection a misery!  Ill be having him at The Woodlands Memorial.

Give me your yahoo ID via PM, and we will chat!

That nearly made me piss myself I laughed so hard.  

How true.  :rofl:

Message on the way...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 12:34:06 PM »
So, this is the whole part I have serious issues about. My parents...Actually build their parenting ego by thinking..."We got our kid off Drugs!! We are the bestist most powerful parents ever!"

Problem is.. I DIDN"T DO DRUGS!

I have no earthly idea wth my parents are thinking or what world they live in, but in the real world they allowed me (their child) to be molested  by the brother from 6-9 years old, raped at gunpoint by the sister's boyfriend at 12, beaten by the father on the Mother's command, told weekly that Mom was going to kill herself and it was all my (the 11-16 yr olds) fault (she wanted me to remember this when she was dead, I still have the suicide letters from my Mom) And pretty much so abused emotionally and mentally I could not stand and was too afraid to be at home, So I ran away.. alot. Then, at 17 when my Mom kicked me out (for standing up for myself and pointing out the insanity in the house) I went to live at my Grandparents.. The Bitch refused to sign for me to attend 12th grade in the next county over!

I look back and wonder how the hell I even have lived though most of my life... And they fucking think They HELPED me, by giving me away to straight... OMG....My parents are effin psycho, and way worse after straight.

And all my father has to say is... "Don't you remember all the camping trips we took?? You had a great childhood." And all my Mom has to say is..."What? I was a fine parent, you were out of control."... Well fuck yea I was..... Look at all they had allowed to happen to me, before I was 15! Protect me, bull shit. They fucked my life, and I am left to try to put all the tiny pieces back together... And they wonder why I am not ~like my sister w/house,job.. etc.. Fuck my parents! The only mistake I made was... I never took them out. Yes, my friends.. They are still out there speading CRAZY like it's a disease.....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
So, this is the whole part I have serious issues about. My parents...Actually build their parenting ego by thinking..."We got our kid off Drugs!! We are the bestist most powerful parents ever!"

Problem is.. I DIDN"T DO DRUGS!

I have no earthly idea wth my parents are thinking or what world they live in, but in the real world they allowed me (their child) to be molested  by the brother from 6-9 years old, raped at gunpoint by the sister's boyfriend at 12, beaten by the father on the Mother's command, told weekly that Mom was going to kill herself and it was all my (the 11-16 yr olds) fault (she wanted me to remember this when she was dead, I still have the suicide letters from my Mom) And pretty much so abused emotionally and mentally I could not stand and was too afraid to be at home, So I ran away.. alot. Then, at 17 when my Mom kicked me out (for standing up for myself and pointing out the insanity in the house) I went to live at my Grandparents.. The Bitch refused to sign for me to attend 12th grade in the next county over!

I look back and wonder how the hell I even have lived though most of my life... And they fucking think They HELPED me, by giving me away to straight... OMG....My parents are effin psycho, and way worse after straight.

And all my father has to say is... "Don't you remember all the camping trips we took?? You had a great childhood." And all my Mom has to say is..."What? I was a fine parent, you were out of control."... Well fuck yea I was..... Look at all they had allowed to happen to me, before I was 15! Protect me, bull shit. They fucked my life, and I am left to try to put all the tiny pieces back together... And they wonder why I am not ~like my sister w/house,job.. etc.. Fuck my parents! The only mistake I made was... I never took them out. Yes, my friends.. They are still out there speading CRAZY like it's a disease.....

With parents like this it's amazing that you haven't KILLED them yet!  :flame:  :flame: