Author Topic: Oprah marketing teen LGAT Challenge Day  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Oprah marketing teen LGAT Challenge Day
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2007, 11:08:32 PM »
http://boards.oprah.com/[email protected] ... view=&loc=

I loved Donnie Darko. I knew the patrick Swayze Character was parodying the self help movement but not these schools. Hilarious. it would make sense- this film was produced by Drew Barrymore. i wonder how many of her old school chums are CEDU alum
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2007, 11:14:24 PM »
I found Donnie Darko practically unwatchable.

I don't know quite why. On the first five minutes I found myself personally offended, and I'm very difficult to offend. I watched only on the insistence of a friend. I just gagged on that movie. It was like eating squash covered in dog shit.

Offline Fr. Cassian

• View Profile
    • http://goat.cx
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2007, 11:19:03 PM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penalty""
I found Donnie Darko practically unwatchable.

I don't know quite why. On the first five minutes I found myself personally offended, and I'm very difficult to offend. I watched only on the insistence of a friend. I just gagged on that movie. It was like eating squash covered in dog shit.

And that's exactly what you WILL be eating if you continue to mouth off in group.
I am a priest of GOD!

Offline 69

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2007, 11:20:17 PM »
Harvard Man is pretty good.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 11:23:23 PM »
Quote from: ""Fr. Cassian""
And that's exactly what you WILL be eating if you continue to mouth off in group.

I'm sorry, are you getting into an unreality fight with me?

Offline Fr. Cassian

• View Profile
    • http://goat.cx
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2007, 11:25:57 PM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penalty""
Quote from: ""Fr. Cassian""

I'm sorry, are you getting into an unreality fight with me?

One of the first things you will learn at SIBS is that YOU CAN'T WIN!  ::bwahaha::
I am a priest of GOD!

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2007, 11:41:42 PM »
I'm curious about what really happens after these seminars? You bring in kids of different classes, races, sexual preferences. You create a "safe" environment. They divulge very personal things. Then it's back to life in the real world where they are very likely to be ridiculed and humiliated by their peers for things they revealed in the seminar. How many wish they hadn't participated, revealed their secrets? Do they really believe that a day or two in seminar, with a small fraction of the school population is going to "heal" years of social conditioning toward division? Nada.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline 69

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2007, 11:43:18 PM »
Maybe this has to do with high schools offering "psychology" courses now. Every kid is trying to diagnos and analyze the other kid. Everyone thinks everyone else is broken and needs a good fixin'.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 02:20:14 AM »
Someone also posted an encouraging reply:

Yes I agree that we need to teach our kids to think. As a middle school teacher I strongly agree that our kids need to learn to think but they also need to learn to feel. A lot of them do not know how to link thoughts with feelings. It takes a lot for our kids to realize that their actions have an impact on someone elses feelings. I wanted to bring Challenge Day to my school, but now you made me think twice. I will definately look up the guy who came up with it. However, I still feel it is a good idea.[/i]
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 06:28:40 AM »
I've been asking people I know still in HS on the internet about Challenge Day.

LOTS of places it seems have it!

I am glad that one friend, though, saw through it. "Oh, you mean where kids admit their shit and cry?" Yeah "Ha ha we trolled them once".

:rofl: Oh, Joe, you make me so proud
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 11:34:15 AM »

Offline 69

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 01:43:35 PM »
With a forum as shitty as that they probably don't have anyone with the internet skills to do that..

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2007, 05:01:18 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
I'm curious about what really happens after these seminars? You bring in kids of different classes, races, sexual preferences. You create a "safe" environment. They divulge very personal things. Then it's back to life in the real world where they are very likely to be ridiculed and humiliated by their peers for things they revealed in the seminar. How many wish they hadn't participated, revealed their secrets? Do they really believe that a day or two in seminar, with a small fraction of the school population is going to "heal" years of social conditioning toward division? Nada.

When I first went to that mess of a bulletin board, I started reading oldest first. There were a couple, maybe three kids, who had been through challenge day and had stated that everything was back to status quo the next day, in addition, the kids who cried during CD were teased the day after. So your assessment is correct. The kids who posted didn't outright condemn it as much as said "Maybe it worked for other schools, but it sure didn't work for mine." But it was definitely a critical review, by kids who participated in it, no less.

TSW: your posts are still there, except I couldn't find the one with the SIBS link. Let me know if you track it down, and post the Oprah BB URL.

Also...
Liz has something on her site.

TSW: now that I think about it, they probably pulled the SIBS post. Early on in that thread, one of the mods mentioned that you couldn't post links in your stuff. (Unless you were one of the mods)

Offline 69

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2007, 12:16:44 AM »
The Chumscrubber is another pretty good one.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2007, 03:42:03 AM »
Quote from: ""try another castle""
FUCK! You know what I just remembered about? Who here saw Donnie Darko?

They had a subplot regarding an LGAT trainer who comes to the school to "inspire" the kids. (Played  by Patrick Swayze.) They even had lingo similar to the I Want to Live propheet from CEDU. Fear = death and love = life. (I think that's how it went. It's been a long time since that propheet.)

Anyway, Donnie thought it was full of shit. The movie did a real good job of parodying that whole mentality.

For those interested in seeing the movie, I won't divulge what happens to Swayze's character.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/070112/K011208AU.html

Plane part falls through roof of Chicago home, lands close to woman's bed
Published: Friday, January 12, 2007 | 2:43 PM ET
Canadian Press

CHICAGO (AP) - A small piece of metal apparently from an aircraft crashed Friday through the roof of a home near Midway Airport, authorities said.

No injuries were reported, and the 40-centimetre-long part was taken to the airport for federal authorities to examine, said Wendy Abrams, a spokeswoman for the Chicago Department of Aviation.

She said the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration would investigate the incident to determine what happened.

The homeowner, Dorothy Gohn, said she was sleeping about 1 a.m. Friday when a heavy thud woke her up. She saw a hole in her ceiling and found a piece of metal with teeth like a gear about 2 feet from the foot of her bed.

"I went to pick it up and it was really hot. You couldn't touch it. So I left it and when I finally picked it up, it had burned through my carpet, all the way to the floor," Gohn said.

Gohn called 911. She's since had a roofing company patch up the hole.c