Author Topic: Hearing Scheduled  (Read 10244 times)

Offline LMJ630

• View Profile
Interesting...
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2007, 04:04:43 PM »
Quotes taken directly from a court filing on February 2:

"I am more than eighteen (18) years of age, under no legal disability, and I make this affidavit based upon my personal knowledge.

"As mentioned in more detail in my declaration of December 6, 2006, Hidden Lake Academy ("HLA") has suffered a sharp decrease in enrollment, primarily due to the decrease in referrals from educational consultants.

"My understanding of this decrease in referrals is that the educational consultants fear legal action against them, which fear arises from the allegations in plaintiffs' complaint implicating educational consultants.

"As set forth in more detail in my declaration of December 6, 2006, HLA has suffered significant loss of revenue due to decreased enrollment.  Enrollment has dropped from over 150 students in September to 102 as of this date.  Since September 1, 2006, 42 of the 120 employees of HLA have been terminated due to decreased revenues.

"Despite reductions in the number of staff and reductions in the salaries of those who remained employed by HLA, HLA's revenue is insufficient to cover its expenses (mortgage, payroll, utilities, etc.) each month.

"Due to the dire financial situation faced by HLA, further reductions in the number of staff employed by HLA or closure of the school is imminent.

"It is important to note that this situation affects not only the employees of the school, but also the 102 students currently enrolled at HLA who have completed approximately two-thirds of their academic year.  Further staff reductions will result in a decreased quality of service to those students.

"Even more troublesome is the imminent threat of closure of HLA, which I reasonably believe will have devastating effects on the currently enrolled students, whose mental health will be jeopardized by such instability.

"HLA cannot afford a continued delay in the prosecution of this litigation and will not likely survive the two months that plaintiffs' counsel has requested to conduct discovery prior to a decision on class certification."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline LMJ630

• View Profile
Sorry...
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2007, 04:06:12 PM »
I forgot to mention that the court filing was Dr. Buccellato's affidavit in response to the plaintiffs' request for two months to conduct discovery regarding the class certification.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hearing Scheduled
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2007, 04:33:01 PM »
Even more troublesome is the imminent threat of closure of HLA, which I reasonably believe will have devastating effects on the currently enrolled students, whose mental health will be jeopardized by such instability.

You've got to be kidding me?! All of sudden he cares about a kid's mental health????

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Hearing Scheduled
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2007, 05:19:23 PM »
So... sounds like he's admitting that HLA is a 'therapeutic' facility? I guess one could argue that it would be mentally distressing if a kid's beloved private school closed... but how far is that from the reality at dear ol HLA.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline FLCLcowdude

• View Profile
Re: Interesting...
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2007, 06:50:43 PM »
Quote from: ""LMJ630""
Quotes taken directly from a court filing on
  "Further staff reductions will result in a decreased quality of service to those students."

2 questions:

What service, what quality? There has to be something for it to decrease. Nothing can't be less than nothing!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Interesting...
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2007, 06:34:24 AM »
Quote from: ""LMJ630""
Quotes taken directly from a court filing on February 2 (court filing was Dr. Buccellato's affidavit in response to the plaintiffs' request for two months to conduct discovery regarding the class certification):

"I am more than eighteen (18) years of age, under no legal disability, and I make this affidavit based upon my personal knowledge.

"As mentioned in more detail in my declaration of December 6, 2006, Hidden Lake Academy ("HLA") has suffered a sharp decrease in enrollment, primarily due to the decrease in referrals from educational consultants.

"My understanding of this decrease in referrals is that the educational consultants fear legal action against them, which fear arises from the allegations in plaintiffs' complaint implicating educational consultants.

"As set forth in more detail in my declaration of December 6, 2006, HLA has suffered significant loss of revenue due to decreased enrollment.  Enrollment has dropped from over 150 students in September to 102 as of this date.  Since September 1, 2006, 42 of the 120 employees of HLA have been terminated due to decreased revenues.

"Despite reductions in the number of staff and reductions in the salaries of those who remained employed by HLA, HLA's revenue is insufficient to cover its expenses (mortgage, payroll, utilities, etc.) each month.

"Due to the dire financial situation faced by HLA, further reductions in the number of staff employed by HLA or closure of the school is imminent.

"It is important to note that this situation affects not only the employees of the school, but also the 102 students currently enrolled at HLA who have completed approximately two-thirds of their academic year.  Further staff reductions will result in a decreased quality of service to those students.

"Even more troublesome is the imminent threat of closure of HLA, which I reasonably believe will have devastating effects on the currently enrolled students, whose mental health will be jeopardized by such instability.

"HLA cannot afford a continued delay in the prosecution of this litigation and will not likely survive the two months that plaintiffs' counsel has requested to conduct discovery prior to a decision on class certification."

Or maybe the Ed Cons finally wised up and realized they can (and should ) be held legally responsible for their referals.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Hearing Scheduled
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2007, 08:41:27 AM »
My understanding of this decrease in referrals is that the educational consultants fear legal action against them, which fear arises from the allegations in plaintiffs' complaint implicating educational consultants.

Which paragraph implicates Ed Cons? The only thing I'm remembering at the moment is the reference to Len paying their travel expenses. If it's true, as Len claims in his answer, that it's an ethical and acceptable practice, then what's to worry about.

I think it has more to do with the discomfort of referring a client to a program that's facing a federal lawsuit.  There's a lot they don't disclose, but it would be too risky to refer a parent who might later stumble onto the information.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hearing Scheduled
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2007, 08:24:25 AM »
Enrollment has dropped from over 150 students in September to 102 as of this date.

Yet he fails to mention the kids who graduated in December and how that has impacted the current number of kids enrolled.