Author Topic: topflight academy in Utah  (Read 6131 times)

Offline cove

• View Profile
topflight academy in Utah
« on: November 29, 2006, 09:10:10 PM »
Anybody have any info, Positive or negative, regarding Topflight Academy? Their website is : http://www.topflightacademy.com/bios.php
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline cove

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 09:38:35 AM »
I've done that and nothing turned up. The place is relatively new[4 years] and is small so there is not much info, aside from their own, on the place.

Offline cove

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 11:43:25 AM »
what are your opinions on PPC?
Utah seems to be the center for so much of this industry. Why?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 11:56:11 AM »
"PPC" should raise a big red flag.  It's bunk.  Studies show that aggregating distressed teens leads to a NEGATIVE peer culture.  This is a proven fact.

Also, I saw that their "program director" has no college degree.  HUGE red flag there.

My advice would be to avoid this place...
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 01:33:46 PM »
***Just take a trip over to the Whitmore forum to gain some insight to how toothless the regulatory agencies are in the State of Utah.

As regulations go, Utah has some of the best. The issue is lack of enforcement and prosecution of abusers. The teeth are there, no bite.
Utah DHR promotes Wilderness programs on their website, which came out of BYU. The articles written by DHR spokesperson and program apologist, Carol Sisco.
http://tinyurl.com/ygaobq
http://tinyurl.com/ygjs8g
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 09:06:28 PM »
Yeh, I've read that site.
I'm not in disagreement with you. I said that Utah has some of the best regulations in the industry. If you've read and compared them to others, you know this is true. But that there is a problem with enforcement.
My neighbor was killed at Skyline Journey. The owner walked. He did loose his license for SJ, but just opened under a different name. I'm well aware of the politics in Utah. I've posted on that issue many times over the years, including numerous citiations of Stettler publicly claiming to have overlooked violations committed by his "fellow mormon saints".

And inspite of it all, it still makes sense to me that all programs be licensed and regulated. Without it, they are self-regulating private corporations and NO outside agency can enter the premises without negotiating or aquiring a court order. I'm under no illusion that regulation will ensure complete safety and appropriate treatment of children. Residential treatment has, and always will be, dangerous and risky by it's very nature.  

I also know that it ocassionally works, particularly when public pressure is applied to the licensing agency to do their job. If they have no jurisdiction, their hands are tied. Did you watch the Montana PBS documentary? This was made clearly evident. The state could not bring charges against Spring Creek in the death of Karlye Newman because they had no jurisdiction- they weren't licensed by DHS. Here we had a state agency prepared to take action, and couldn't. And now, there is no public record of this, except what one might find in news articles and forums. Parents can't call Montana DHS to acquire information about complaints or violations, or if accidents/deaths have ocurred at any of the 30 some programs there. For that benefit alone, they should be regulated, imo.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 09:57:52 PM »
Yep, I hear ya. Depends on the smuck they send out. Licensing will never work as we wish it would because the reps are usually just someone doing a job for a check, or someone who likes weilding power. They frequently cite the small violations, overlooking the glaring red flags.
But, if I call in a complaint on a licensed program, they have to investigate. If the program is found in violation, they are cited. This goes in their public record. Staff can make complaints as well, and anonymously. Wish more would.
When licensed they are required to report serious injuries and deaths as well. Who else will document this?
To my knowledge all licensing agencies have the power to cite violations, issue fines, or close a facility; depending on the severity of the offense. It's rare that they revoke a license, but it does happen.

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:29:35 PM »
Top Flight Academy hired Gayle Palmer DeGraff.

Palmer DeGraff owned/ran the program Summit Quest where Michelle Sutton died.  She was not charged in Michelle's Sutton's death, but she is not allowed to be licensed to run another facility in Utah.

You can also read about Gayle Palmer DeGraff's close association with Sue Scheff in the WWASP vs PURE transcripts.

This information alone would make me check this facility out throughly before considering placing any child there.

Offline cove

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 07:40:50 PM »
As far as I can tell Degraff does not work there any more. she is not mentioned on the website and her position is now handled by someone else.

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
Discovery Academy - Provo, UT
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 08:31:48 PM »
Does anyone have any information about this institution?  I am really quite desparate and in need of this info soon.  My son's life is depending on it!

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
Top Flight
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 09:04:01 PM »
You also asked about Discovery Academy.

Why would your son's life depend on you acquiring information on this facility?  That certainly sounds desperate.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: topflight academy in Utah
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 10:29:05 AM »
Top Flight Academy -- here is a statement by Executive Director Clayton Justensen:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Is Top Flight the Right Fit?

Thank you for your interest in Top Flight Academy. We understand that selecting a therapeutic program for a struggling young man can be a daunting task. We take pride in our ability to guide young men to "pilot" their lives in more positive ways. Our program will help your son develop a vision for his future and provide opportunities to build confidence, strengthen relationships, and get back "on course". The heart of Top Flight Academy is not only about helping boys, but healing families. We look forward to joining with you as partners in helping your son rediscover his true self and "soar with his strengths".

-- Clayton Justensen, Executive Director

Top Flight Academy
P.O. Box 145
Mt. Pleasant, UT, 84647
Admissions: (866) 433-9181
http://www.TopFlightAcademy.com
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 10:54:01 AM »
There is also a blurb of "testimony" on the Positive Peer Culture page from a John Bagley:

"Top Flight Academy is unique ... in that it utilizes PPC (Positive Peer Culture)... PPC teaches internal self-control ... teaches youth to regulate by accessing their personal internal moral code of conduct. In real life PPC is the only one of these models that can consistently help to create responsible and effective adults."
      -- John Bagley, L.C.S.W., Clinical Social Worker
    [/color][/list]

I am guessing this is the same John Bagley referenced a couple of times in the 'Pinnacle Wilderness of Utah' thread. I take it he used to work at Top Flight Academy, according to posts made in March, 2007:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20847&p=250322#p250322
    Quote from: "Deborah"
    ...As for licensed staff.....there is one, Bagley, the Marriage/Family Therapist.
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20847&p=250405#p250405
    Quote from: "Guest"
    John Bagley:

He was the former Clinical Director of TOP FLIGHT ACADEMY.
    He worked at TOP FLIGHT ACADEMY at the same time as Gayle Palmer DeGraff--the woman reponsible for the death of Michelle Sutton in Palmer's newly opened wilderness program.

Bagley lists that he worked at Heritage Youth Services prior to his employment at Top Flight Academy.

Seems these "bad pennies" just keep showing up.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 12:32:12 PM »
    Before I leave John Bagley, here is his current bio on the Pinnacle Wilderness website:

John N. Bagley, Clinical Director
    Licensed Clinical Social Worker

With a MSW in Social Work and BS in Psychology from the University of Utah, John Bagley's credentials include working in adolescent group homes and residential treatment facilities. John has over 35 years' experience in substance abuse rehabilitation, which includes directing the Salt Lake Alcohol Recovery Center.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »
    Here is Top Flight Academy's current Bio page. Hmm...the "Academic Director" is still pursuing his Bachelor's degree?

—•?|•?••?•|?•—

Btw, in case there is any ambiguity about this, "Positive Peer Culture" is just another form of behavior modification, regardless of what anyone tries to say about it. It was developed in 1975 by Harry Vorrath directly out of a similar program/method called "Guided Group Interaction," with the prime difference being that non-troubled youth were also included to act as so-called mentors and stabilizing forces for the "the Group."

Guided Group Interaction was developed by then New Jersey assistant prison warden Dr. Lloyd McCorkle in the late 1940s, using his experiences with therapeutic communities during the Second World War. In the 1950s, McCorkle expanded his research beyond the adult male prison sector into juvenile reform schools, also in New Jersey.

See also:

Positive Peer Culture, by Harry H. Vorrath, Larry K. Brendtro
    http://www.amazon.com/Positive-Culture- ... 0202360385

• the thread Positive Peer Culture viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22201&p=318478#p318476
    (along with a number of posts subsequent to the link)

About Us

Dr. Clark Hammond, Top Flight's Clinical Director, brings a strong family systems background to our clinical team. He is a licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, and holds a PhD from Oregon State University and a Masters Degree in Marriage & Family Therapy from Brigham Young University. Clark "came out of the woods" to join the Top Flight team, as he recently completed nearly a four-year tenure as a wilderness therapist for Outback Therapeutic Expeditions. He has served on the faculty in various capacities at the University of South Dakota, Brigham Young University, and Oregon State University, and has worked with individuals, couples, families, and businesses through his private therapy and consulting practice. He is thrilled to be a part of the Top Flight team-- to integrate the powerful metaphors of aviation training with therapeutic interventions, and assist our young men and their families to "soar with their strengths."

Clayton Justensen, CFI, is the Executive Director and part owner at Top Flight Academy. He holds a Degree in Aviation in Applied Science from Utah Valley State College and is an FAA Certified Flight Instructor (Airplane Single-Engine Land and Airplane Multi-Engine Land). In addition, Clayton has significant experience in cross-country flight, night flying, instrument simulation and turbine flight. Clayton has accrued nearly 1,000 flight hours, flying for Top Flight, Alpine Air, Utah Valley State College and giving private flight lessons.

K.C. Anderson, Academic Director and Admissions Counselor for Top Flight, has worked in residential treatment facilities for 3 years, working with all spectrums of adolescent youth. Married, and the father of two boys, K.C. is currently pursuing a double major in business administration and psychology. “I have worked with both behavior modification and PPC (Positive Peer Culture) and have seen how much more effective PPC is. PPC helps adolescents face everyday issues, and overcome them with the help of their peers.”

Lori Crisp, Top Flight's Office Manager and Admissions Counselor, received a Bachelors Degree in Business/Accounting from the University of Phoenix. Lori has over ten years of accounting experience including seven years in the accounting department of the Salt Lake City International Airport. She is also trained as a medical assistant and worked in the medical field for thirteen years. Lori is a single mother with a teenage daughter and enjoys working with the students and staff at Top Flight Academy.

Kent and Courtney Johnson are the creators, founders, and part owners of Top Flight Academy. The Johnson's have been married for more than 20 years and have four children. Kent and Courtney were foster parents for ten years in the State of Utah. Kent has worked in electrical engineering, adolescent treatment, and aviation fields at different times over the past 23 years. Since Kent began flying at age 16, he has logged over 6,500 flight hours.

Courtney began flying in 1979 and currently holds a Private Pilot Certificate. Since she began flying, Courtney has worked on her instrument and commercial pilot certifications, flown in several flight competitions, and has been a member of a prestigious Women's Flight Club founded by Amelia Earhart. Courtney has been teaching at the college or elementary level since 1983. In that time she has been a member of the Utah Writing Project, International Reading Association, Utah Council of Reading Association, and the Utah Technology Association. Courtney is currently working with the Utah Writing Project and is an elementary school teacher in the State of Utah.

Top Flight Academy takes pride in the quality of our direct-care staff. We only employ individuals who adhere to the highest ethical and moral principles in their personal and professional life. As a result, all of our staff are carefully screened prior to employment. They must pass an intensive screening and interview process and must pass a criminal background check. Once they are hired, all staff are trained in CPR, First Aid, Positive Peer Culture, Equip Program, Utah State Food Handler Permit, and Top Flight Academy Policies and Procedures. Training continues on a daily basis at the beginning and end of each shift. In addition, all of our staff participate in monthly training in both Positive Peer Culture and the Equip Program.