Author Topic: Aversion to "Reality" TV  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Aversion to "Reality" TV
« on: November 28, 2006, 10:58:16 AM »
I have a real problem watching any "reality" shows on TV.  I dont watch alot of TV anyway, but I really get agitated when it comes to shows like Survivor or even The Bachelor.....where people are encouraged to to plot against one another or gang up on each other.

Even American Idol bothers me because of the cruel condescension that that guy doles out to people who are really above average talent.  I mean, especially at the end when those people are really really good, relative to the rest of the world....and he just berates them and rejects them.  I wonder sometimes how families think watching violence on TV is wrong, and then sit down with the whole brood on Prime Time for a nice round of rejection and belittlement to people who dont deserve it.

In some ways it all reminds me of the program....like using information against others to get ahead, and so forth.  I dunno, anyone else have a problem with watching?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Aversion to "Reality" TV
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 01:11:53 PM »
I just don't like them. I'm more of a sit-com kinda guy. Frod.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Aversion to "Reality"
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 04:18:37 PM »
Quote from: ""Carmel""
I have a real problem watching any "reality" shows on TV.  I dont watch alot of TV anyway, but I really get agitated when it comes to shows like Survivor or even The Bachelor.....where people are encouraged to to plot against one another or gang up on each other.

Even American Idol bothers me because of the cruel condescension that that guy doles out to people who are really above average talent.  I mean, especially at the end when those people are really really good, relative to the rest of the world....and he just berates them and rejects them.  I wonder sometimes how families think watching violence on TV is wrong, and then sit down with the whole brood on Prime Time for a nice round of rejection and belittlement to people who dont deserve it.

In some ways it all reminds me of the program....like using information against others to get ahead, and so forth.  I dunno, anyone else have a problem with watching?

Television was potentially the most beneficial communications medium of it's time.  Instead, television culture was used as a drug (and a pretty lame and boring one at that) to placate the masses,  and to sell other drugs , such as antidepressants and beer.  It became a cultural reference point of lowest-common-denominator ties, a shalllow frame of reference.  Shows like the ones you mentioned are having their intended effect on you, Carmel--they are making you suspicious of others.  Shows like those are intended to make you feel powerless and not in control, or at least try to instill a desire to conform and be popular and liked......

To me, what is more disturbing is the fact that you are bothered by the contents of a TV show.  What did you expect?  It's all crap, designed to sell you on consumer crap, and to get you to spend time and effort persuing some fake-ass "lifestyle" that you will never quite have enough toys to get to....  TV is part of the "carrot on a stick" that our culture uses to get you, the blinded and greedy mule, to pull the weight of the cart, oblivious to the world around you as you work ever harder to munch on the tasty carrot dangling in front of you that never seems to get any closer......  Oh, sure, you'll accumulate new toys, new activities, and new "friends"......but also new problems and new headaches.  And there will be this lingering feeling of emptiness, that something is missing, that you haven't quite gotten there, but maybe...and the you DIE!!!!  Sure, you'll have the best coffin money can buy, and be buried in the fashionable cemetary, and your brats will spend thousands of hours fighting over the remaining trinkets, but you won't even get the satisfaction of knowing that, you'll be over...."no longer broadcasting live" as they say in the industry.....TV is also used to marginalize certain groups and keep the population divided and competing, rather than cooperating with each other.  Not only is this overtly evident, as in the PROGRAMs you mentioned, Carmel, but also in all the sit-coms,  music videos, "news" reports,  sporting events, daytime dramas, made-for-TV movies, cool sci-fi shows with killer graphics, hell, they're even doing it during weather reports......and the commercial content is doing it even more so...........

BE SILENT>>>CONSUME>>>DIE  is the message, the mantra repeated over and over and over.  The only TV you can trust is late-night bad movies made before 1975.  Othe rthan that, reserve it's use for DVDs, tapes, and video games.  THe insidious messages in the content of TV is otherwise not worth it.  Go out and have a life instead of watching some dumbed-down, watered-down, Hollywood-meets Madison Ave.-demographic-reports shit[/i] that you really don't want fouling your psyche, or that of those around you.  Most programming is intentionally designed to be appealing to inbred, illiterate, and retarded 14 year olds from a small town outside of Sioux Falls, South Dakota who stopped attending school in the third grade (it's statistically true, according to Dr. John Evans of Loyola-Marymount,  that at least 83% of the Neilsen families , whose viewing habits determine the success or failure of TV shows, have an average IQ below 80.....watch any of the currently popular programming and it's flagrantly obvious........)  The plan is to turn everyone into those drooling cretins, transformed into easily manipulated and duped , drooling consumers who will loyally tune in to find out what to want and buy.  Save yourself from this ignoble fate and read a  book, or go outside.  TV culture took what was potentially the greatest communications media ever invented and used it to sell you Budweiser while turning you and your kids into ignorant consumption-driven zombies....sort of like "Dawn Of The Dead" but without the cool Savini  special F/X (well, that and the fact that I can't go around blowing these zombies away.....yet.  They already try to eat your brains  figuratively.  Give 'em a few years, they'll start openly munching on living human flesh........once they get everybody hooked up to HIgh Definition Cable or Satellite, there's no stopping them.....except, of course, a gunshot to the head, as shown in the zombie movies, which are actually a prophecy....not a "horror flick" or even some sort of "allegory" as the liberal faggot movie critics tell you....nope, they are a prophecy, it will all happen just like that....unless you can stop the TVification before it gets too late.  Otherwise, your best bet is to load up un guns, ammunition, food, fuel, and drugs.........and hole up somewhere far from the burgeoning zombie hordes.....and they won't be slow, like your dead grandma, they'll be track star zombies, Olympic sprinters gone undead and craving your cerebral tissue for a midnight snack.    You better be quick on the draw when those fucks come to town, or you're gonna be corpse food, quick....)

Anyway, back to the TV thing---it sucks, what did you expect, turn it off, read a book, take a walkk, smoke a joint, piss on Miller Newton, there's lotsa stuff you can do besides watch TV and encourage them.

Offline 001010

• View Profile
Aversion to "Reality" TV
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 06:20:18 PM »
I hate reality television.
[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Aversion to "Reality" TV
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 08:03:08 PM »

Yup.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Re: Aversion to "Reality"
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 08:42:38 PM »
Quote from: ""rtp2k3""

Television was potentially the most beneficial communications medium of it's time.  Instead, television culture was used as a drug (and a pretty lame and boring one at that) to placate the masses,  and to sell other drugs , such as antidepressants and beer.  It became a cultural reference point of lowest-common-denominator ties, a shalllow frame of reference.  Shows like the ones you mentioned are having their intended effect on you, Carmel--they are making you suspicious of others.  Shows like those are intended to make you feel powerless and not in control, or at least try to instill a desire to conform and be popular and liked......

To me, what is more disturbing is the fact that you are bothered by the contents of a TV show.  What did you expect?  It's all crap, designed to sell you on consumer crap, and to get you to spend time and effort persuing some fake-ass "lifestyle" that you will never quite have enough toys to get to....  TV is part of the "carrot on a stick" that our culture uses to get you, the blinded and greedy mule, to pull the weight of the cart, oblivious to the world around you as you work ever harder to munch on the tasty carrot dangling in front of you that never seems to get any closer......  Oh, sure, you'll accumulate new toys, new activities, and new "friends"......but also new problems and new headaches.  And there will be this lingering feeling of emptiness, that something is missing, that you haven't quite gotten there, but maybe...and the you DIE!!!!  Sure, you'll have the best coffin money can buy, and be buried in the fashionable cemetary, and your brats will spend thousands of hours fighting over the remaining trinkets, but you won't even get the satisfaction of knowing that, you'll be over...."no longer broadcasting live" as they say in the industry.....TV is also used to marginalize certain groups and keep the population divided and competing, rather than cooperating with each other.  Not only is this overtly evident, as in the PROGRAMs you mentioned, Carmel, but also in all the sit-coms,  music videos, "news" reports,  sporting events, daytime dramas, made-for-TV movies, cool sci-fi shows with killer graphics, hell, they're even doing it during weather reports......and the commercial content is doing it even more so...........

BE SILENT>>>CONSUME>>>DIE  is the message, the mantra repeated over and over and over.  The only TV you can trust is late-night bad movies made before 1975.  Othe rthan that, reserve it's use for DVDs, tapes, and video games.  THe insidious messages in the content of TV is otherwise not worth it.  Go out and have a life instead of watching some dumbed-down, watered-down, Hollywood-meets Madison Ave.-demographic-reports shit[/i] that you really don't want fouling your psyche, or that of those around you.  Most programming is intentionally designed to be appealing to inbred, illiterate, and retarded 14 year olds from a small town outside of Sioux Falls, South Dakota who stopped attending school in the third grade (it's statistically true, according to Dr. John Evans of Loyola-Marymount,  that at least 83% of the Neilsen families , whose viewing habits determine the success or failure of TV shows, have an average IQ below 80.....watch any of the currently popular programming and it's flagrantly obvious........)  The plan is to turn everyone into those drooling cretins, transformed into easily manipulated and duped , drooling consumers who will loyally tune in to find out what to want and buy.  Save yourself from this ignoble fate and read a  book, or go outside.  TV culture took what was potentially the greatest communications media ever invented and used it to sell you Budweiser while turning you and your kids into ignorant consumption-driven zombies....sort of like "Dawn Of The Dead" but without the cool Savini  special F/X (well, that and the fact that I can't go around blowing these zombies away.....yet.  They already try to eat your brains  figuratively.  Give 'em a few years, they'll start openly munching on living human flesh........once they get everybody hooked up to HIgh Definition Cable or Satellite, there's no stopping them.....except, of course, a gunshot to the head, as shown in the zombie movies, which are actually a prophecy....not a "horror flick" or even some sort of "allegory" as the liberal faggot movie critics tell you....nope, they are a prophecy, it will all happen just like that....unless you can stop the TVification before it gets too late.  Otherwise, your best bet is to load up un guns, ammunition, food, fuel, and drugs.........and hole up somewhere far from the burgeoning zombie hordes.....and they won't be slow, like your dead grandma, they'll be track star zombies, Olympic sprinters gone undead and craving your cerebral tissue for a midnight snack.    You better be quick on the draw when those fucks come to town, or you're gonna be corpse food, quick....)

Anyway, back to the TV thing---it sucks, what did you expect, turn it off, read a book, take a walkk, smoke a joint, piss on Miller Newton, there's lotsa stuff you can do besides watch TV and encourage them.

I think you might have missed the part where I mentioned that I didnt watch alot of TV.  I dont watch these shows...or any shows really.  I have viewed them in passing and sometimes under duress at a forced "wives" event.  I mostly read and watch old movies that are safely bad enough to not ever be considered by the megalomedia as a viable platform for thought reform, such as Flash Gordon and Xanadu.

I guess I didnt expect anything really, just find it sort of sad that people eat it up like candy and have no ethical reaction....like maybe it isnt nice to watch people tear each other apart.  Not only that, but they encourage their kids....and then wonder why they dont have any god damned values.

I am however, not opposed to the occasional zombie flick.  I love a good b-horror flick every now and again, especially a brain eating one.  I guess I let the zombies do the brain eating for me, rather than just spread my legs for Simon Cowell.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere