Author Topic: Provo Canyon Residential Treatment Center  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Provo Canyon Residential Treatment Center
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 09:13:00 PM »
strongly suggest a closer read of the WWASP contract.  Two supervening considerations:

(a) inmates at WWASP facilities are punished for ALL negative disclosures -- the truthful negative disclosure just as severely as the mistaken or false. READ YOUR CONTRACT!!! NEGATIVE STATEMENTS CAN BE A CAT 3 OR WORSE.  More importantly,  inmates cannot progress in the program unless they write positive reports to their check-writers.   WWASPS REWARDS FALSE REPORTS --JUST SO LONG AS THE REPORT IS POSITIVE.

(b) all outbound communication from inmates is routinely censored by WWASP staff.  Negative facts are expunged from emails -- eg.,  our son reported that his Casa wardens were giving out used razors for shaving.  His email asking whether sharing razors posed a risk of AIDS cross contamination was not allowed to be sent. We didn't find out about this specific incident until after he got home.

Both forms of censorship are illegal for state-run juvenile facilities (or for that matter, prisons or mental institutions). (See for example,  Milonas versus Williams) Why would you be proud of giving your child less consideration than would be given a mentally incapacitated person or common criminal?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 09:16:00 PM »
I strongly suggest a closer read of the WWASP contract.  Two supervening considerations:

(a) inmates at WWASP facilities are punished for ALL negative disclosures -- the truthful negative disclosure just as severely as the mistaken or false. READ YOUR CONTRACT!!! NEGATIVE STATEMENTS CAN BE A CAT 3 OR WORSE.  More importantly,  inmates cannot progress in the program unless they write positive reports to their check-writers.   WWASPS REWARDS FALSE REPORTS --JUST SO LONG AS THE REPORT IS POSITIVE.

(b) all outbound communication from inmates is routinely censored by WWASP staff.  Negative facts are expunged from emails -- eg.,  our son reported that his Casa wardens were giving out used razors for shaving.  His email asking whether sharing razors posed a risk of AIDS cross contamination was not allowed to be sent. We didn't find out about this specific incident until after he got home.

Both forms of censorship are illegal for state-run juvenile facilities (or for that matter, prisons or mental institutions). (See for example,  Milonas versus Williams)

Under such circumstances,  are you totally oblivious to why you child is loathe to say anything that would lengthen his stay by another month or two?  Why would you be proud of giving your child less consideration than would be given a mentally incapacitated person or common criminal?

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
On 2003-06-05 10:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

"it is obvious to me that lacey is a fake. anyone who spent 15 months locked up in that child prison they call provo canyon would want to get as far away as possible. is lacey a fake or were they just extrememly successful with thier brainwashing? I would strongly advise you to follow morli's advice. DOnt incarcerate your children. Please weigh how bad they really are. sometimes it is hard to be objective. :flame: "

Lacey is not a fake, I am a good friend of hers. She had the one, really good, honest and caring, therapist in Provo. She also lived in the Utah area so it was easier for her to get in contact with her mother, etc, I know a lot of folks that are out of Provo right now, and those who shared the same therapist as Lacey still keep in touch with her. Lacey is a wonderful person, and she is not a fake, she is very much real and she did have some rough times at Provo with staff and lies that they liked to make up, but Lacey fought hard not to let it get to her and she succeeded very much so. She is one of those rare cases that has benefitted from PCS, and that is all I shall say.
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

-  Marcus Valerius Martial

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2004, 08:48:00 PM »
In responce to the anonymous parent who claims her son is doing so wonderful now with three exclaimation marks:
First of all, I don't doubt your sincerity. As a parent myself I was almost "sucked in" just as you have obviously been. You need to understand something - all of the kids there know that their parents are being seriously manipulated by the program. As you know you were sent a letter a few days after admission warning you of the manipulative letters and pleas you would receive from your child. I'm sure the first several phone calls home were also monitored by the therapist as was your first visit.  
There are some really smart kids who catch on real fast that they will be able to go home sooner if they just go along with everything. Obviously your son was not put in isolation for 6 months like some of those who refuse to be broken down. He went along with the program if he is going home in 3 months instead of a year.  
I've seen only a few parents who will admit that they made a huge mistake.  I made one - and I'm now learning just how abusive PCS can be.  
It's  hard to believe that any child comes out of there unscathed. Your son probably isn't telling you everything because he knows you will report it to the therapist and he will end up loosing out on the inside.  
I have heard reports from dozens of survivors. Your son must have  heard all of the screaming.  My child heard kids screaming in pain and terror night and day.  
This is one of the most abusive programs in the nation. It is where the leaders and founders of the abusive WWASPS programs learned their abusive methods of behavior modification.
As you know, PCS never lets on that they are practicing behavior modification on your child. There web sites and propaganda are extremely deceptive.  I know of other parents who were brainwashed by the therpists at PCS. This is a money-making institution. When the money or insurance runs out then suddenly your child is well enough to come home.  Perhaps your insurance ran out.
He'll just be peachy when he gets home - asking you if he can go to the bathroom or get a drink.
It was odd to have my 17 year old ask me if she could use the bathroom for several days.
What truly helped was something that is FREE. It's called AA and NA - where people who've been there help and support those who want to get clean and sober. Also lots of family support and love.  Provo Canyon School abuses children. They laughed when they were "taking down" my child in a violent human restraint that was more like and assault and battery.  There are some very warped staff at Provo Canyon School. The licensed people support their activity rather than discourage it.  

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.
--Albert Einstein

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »
CW - What would help is if former therapists from Provo Canyon School would begin speaking out. Spend some time researching posts on the CEDU topic threads (if you haven't already). I don't know who to feel more sorry for, the kids or their therapists who are suffering years after they were either thrown out the door or quit on their own volition.  

It's really a shame that the Utah authorities can not keep up with monitoring these places on a fairly frequent and always unannounced basis.

But since they can't, there should be a moratorium, no more new programs in Utah until the state hires and trains more DHS program inspectors.

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2004, 09:55:00 PM »
On 2004-05-02 17:48:00, cherish wisdom wrote:

"In responce to the anonymous parent who claims her son is doing so wonderful now with three exclaimation marks:

First of all, I don't doubt your sincerity. As a parent myself I was almost "sucked in" just as you have obviously been. You need to understand something - all of the kids there know that their parents are being seriously manipulated by the program. As you know you were sent a letter a few days after admission warning you of the manipulative letters and pleas you would receive from your child. I'm sure the first several phone calls home were also monitored by the therapist as was your first visit.  

There are some really smart kids who catch on real fast that they will be able to go home sooner if they just go along with everything. Obviously your son was not put in isolation for 6 months like some of those who refuse to be broken down. He went along with the program if he is going home in 3 months instead of a year.  

I've seen only a few parents who will admit that they made a huge mistake.  I made one - and I'm now learning just how abusive PCS can be.  

It's  hard to believe that any child comes out of there unscathed. Your son probably isn't telling you everything because he knows you will report it to the therapist and he will end up loosing out on the inside.  

I have heard reports from dozens of survivors. Your son must have  heard all of the screaming.  My child heard kids screaming in pain and terror night and day.  

This is one of the most abusive programs in the nation. It is where the leaders and founders of the abusive WWASPS programs learned their abusive methods of behavior modification.

As you know, PCS never lets on that they are practicing behavior modification on your child. There web sites and propaganda are extremely deceptive.  I know of other parents who were brainwashed by the therpists at PCS. This is a money-making institution. When the money or insurance runs out then suddenly your child is well enough to come home.  Perhaps your insurance ran out.

He'll just be peachy when he gets home - asking you if he can go to the bathroom or get a drink.

It was odd to have my 17 year old ask me if she could use the bathroom for several days.

What truly helped was something that is FREE. It's called AA and NA - where people who've been there help and support those who want to get clean and sober. Also lots of family support and love.  Provo Canyon School abuses children. They laughed when they were "taking down" my child in a violent human restraint that was more like and assault and battery.  There are some very warped staff at Provo Canyon School. The licensed people support their activity rather than discourage it.  

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.
--Albert Einstein

"

Yea, it was almost crazy to realize that after 26months I didn't have to ask anymore to use the bathroom, take a shower, get a drink of what, go to my room, have to be on my bed by a certain time and lights out by a certain time, not having to ask to watch t.v. etc... When I did this for a bit, my mother just looked at me like i was stupid or something, but it was just something that I was forced to do for the past 26months. I work at a camp during the summer and we have these wooden towers that lok out over all of the land we own and the local mountains, they call it the observation towers, but I refuse to call it that, the other term they use for it is the ob's towers, which I def. refuse to use, to close to home for me, to close for mental nightmares of my time in ob's rooms and abuse suffered in them. Then we call our certain camp site areas units, which I also refuse to call them, I use the given camp names to them, units, ugh, I even hated it when I had to use that word in math, anything associated with Provo makes me want to gag!
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2004, 10:15:00 PM »
two things.

One, Lee Ann, who are you? I have never heard of you before. My name is Hope. I am a survivor of PCS from 2000-2002. Also I am not surprised that with 2 hours you live within 20 programs, considering there are 196 in Utah alone and probably more that we don't know of yet. Butyea, just wondering who ya are's cause I've no clue, and I don't care what others say bout anyones. I make my own choices on whether to black list people or not. So yea.

Second, for anyone that has a long frequency conbra or other such radio or may live in Utah with one such radio, here is Provo Canyon Schools' frequency number so that you may listen in on first count of what goes on there, course you don't get all the good's this way, but you'll know part of what goes on inside.

463.5000 LAO 727315;PROVO CANYON SCHOOL

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2004, 08:07:00 PM »
About a month ago I was searching on line and typed in: Provo Canyon School Utah Valley Hospital.  What I found was a Utah dot gov official web site showing that Provo Canyon School was one of the HOSPITALS in Provo.  Why is this important?  Well in Utah residential facilities and boarding schools have few if any regulations - they need only abide by core rules but hospitals must abide by more stringent State and Federal health, safety and mental health codes. So - what do you all think?  Should Provo Canyon School be treated like a hospital or a residential facility if they are listed as a hospital on Utah's official State web-site?  

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
"Isn't your pants' zipper supposed to be in the front?"
--Hobbs to Calvin

"If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you."[ This Message was edited by: cherish wisdom on 2004-05-05 17:09 ]

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2004, 12:24:00 AM »
They should totally treat it like a hospitial and make it abide by they're rules and regulations, i mean wtf, that would more than likely help to stop a lot of corrupt shit.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2004, 01:23:00 PM »
Fraud.
Warehouse facilities mislead the public to believe they are something they are not. And in many cases, mislead the state to believe they are something they are not- "traditional" boarding schools when in fact they are "therapeutic", BM, thought control camps.

If you decide to notify the state about a particular program, be prepared to follow up to ensure they are investigating the facility. As "boarding schools" they are private corporations and it's difficult for the state to gain access. I made numerous phone calls to the Office of Reg Services, sent them links to web advertisements, a copy of the parents manual, etc. Basically, did their job. They were still hesitant and it took weeks to gain access.

When it was finally established that they needed to apply for a license they told the state that they began as a boarding school and changed to a therapeutic facility. The state did not fine them for operating illegally for 7 years, even though I provided them with proof that they opened as a therapeutic facility.

The state determined right away that their newly opened wilderness program must be licensed. Last I heard they were "negotiating" with the facility to determine the classification for the TBS.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »
You are totally right.  I just asked an authrority to please let me know if it is indeed a hospital or not - if it is then they are abusing mentally ill kids (a huge percentage have some mental ailment - often depression) Hopefully they will look into it.  Perhaps they will since they are now under the public eye due to the tragic death of the staff member,Anson, in Cedar City. It's too bad that someone has to die before they do anything.  These youth programs are big business, profitable, and they are usually one of the major employers in the community. So there are many corrupt political, social and economic reasons for keeping these dens of torture operating.  Unfortunately these places usually attract staff who have the same perversions and sadistic natures as the soldiers who abused and humiliated the Iraqi prisoners. Often they are not given the appropriate background checks.

Preacher man don't tell me heaven is under the earth; you don't know what life is worth;.......If you know what life is worth, you will look for your's on earth.

--Bob Marley

[ This Message was edited by: cherish wisdom on 2004-05-06 12:48 ]