Author Topic: Provo Canyon Residential Treatment Center  (Read 5773 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Provo Canyon Residential Treatment Center
« on: March 14, 2003, 03:52:00 PM »
We are considering sending our daughter to Provo Canyon.  Does anyone have experience or first hand knowledge of the facility?  Would you recommend their program?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 04:09:00 PM »
They are frauds. You will destroy your child and your relationship with her. Have you even looked into it yourself yet? There are a string of these places in Utah. Don't waste your money and destroy your family at the same time, please. Children die in those places from neglect and abuse. Please re-think your options, before it's to late. They have no credibility, ask them and they will fill you with explanations not facts.
[ This Message was edited by: ehm on 2005-10-07 12:39 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 04:56:00 PM »
Author EVERY SURIVOR
Sorted in ASC Order
anne
Welcome Stranger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 PLEASE DONT EVER SEND YOUR KID TO ANY SCHOOL LIKE CEDU OR PROVO CANYON. ALL YOU WOULD BE DOING IS PAYING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY ABUSE YOUR CHILD. IF YOU LOVE THEM IN ANY WAY DONT SEND THEM AWAY. I DONT KNOW WHY OR HOW THIS ABUSE IS STILL GOING ON BUT IT MUST BE STOPPED.  IT IS HORRIBLE THING TO DO TO ANYONE!!!!!!!!!

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 08:09:00 PM »
Hi Provo considering parents~
My first post may have sounded a bit desparate, and I apoligise. You see, I just can't stand seeing people like yourselves taken advantage of by these programs who claim to be able to "fix" your children for you. Being a parent myself who has actually been there myself, makes this so much more difficult to address.
The best advice is to find a licenced proffesional that your daughter likes, and can trust. Children are no different than adults when it comes down to it, your daughter has to want to change. You can't force people to change. That is how psychology and psychiatry works. Your daughter has to know that all you want is for her to be happy. I'm sure that is what she wants also. Please don't buy these programs that claim to "save" your kids. Only you can love and direct you children to better themselves. Ask her what she needs, communicate with her, don't give up, never give up. What she needs is your love. Nothing more, and nothing less. If you would like further advice, feel free to e-mail me: [email protected]. I will be here, and my motivation is only, that I care.
Love,
Morli

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 11:55:00 AM »
pcs was the best thing that ever happened to me.  i still see my therapist from there even after 14 months.  as hard as it was it did so much and the staff really cared and helped me.  i still call the staff and talk to them today.  they really do want you to succeed.  if you need any other info you can email me at [email protected].

lacey

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 01:28:00 PM »
it is obvious to me that lacey is a fake. anyone who spent 15 months locked up in that child prison they call provo canyon would want to get as far away as possible. is lacey a fake or were they just extrememly successful with thier brainwashing? I would strongly advise you to follow morli's advice. DOnt incarcerate your children. Please weigh how bad they really are. sometimes it is hard to be objective. :flame:

Offline kel78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 02:53:00 PM »
Just because someone did have success or think that they have success in a program does not necessarily mean they're a "plant" or a "fake".  It's all about how you perceive things.  I'm not by any means condoning the abuses that take place, nor am I endorsing Provo.  But Lacey might really feel like it helped her, and that's good for her.  That's certainly not true for everyone who's been there, or possibly even for the majority.  She might even feel differently in a year or two.

Sorry to stick in here, I understand feeling maybe a little paranoid about people with positive things to say, but the best way to get through to someone at times is to be compassionate and patient.  Show your opinions, your facts and let them speak for themselves.  Most of the time, the facts get through to people, and unfortunately we can't always get through to every individual.
like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing.
- Agatha Christie

Offline Lee Ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 08:28:00 PM »
Hi there,
I am very familiar with Utah programs. There are other, better, options out there. Trust me, Less restrictive is much better.  Hopefully this is meant as treatment not punishment.  Right?    
First, let me ask you a few questions.
1)  Have you exhausted ALL other forms of treatment?  i.e.  school counselor, individual therapy, etc?  
2)  What brought you to the decision to look for out-of-home placement?  
3)  Does your daughter know what you are planning?  Is she in agreement?  
4) are you planning to personally take her to the program or employ a transport company?
5) are you as parents willing to be invovled in her treatment?  or are you just happy to get her out of your home?  ( I ask this because some parents have the idea that out of sight out of mind.  NOT true!)  I HIGHLY suggest ( as do most reputable programs) that the family is ALSO in therapy/treatment at the same time as their teen.)  My experience is that the problem is a family affair.  Rarely does the teen just go on a wild tangent and run amuck all by themselves.  

Please feel free to call me. I'd be happy to talk with you at length regarding your situation.
Lee Ann   http://www.teensatrisk.net

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2003, 03:07:00 PM »
Something about this doesn't feel kosher...for a consultant to be advertising her services on a public forum where parents are asking about other's personal experiences with a program. If they'd wanted the advice of a consultant wouldn't they have sought one out from the many available on the web?
Forgive me if I'm off base, but I was offended. While this forum is open to the public I would be disappointed to see it become a place for consultants and programs to advertise their services. Other's thoughts? Would it be considered censorship to delete such a post?
Deborah
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Carey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2003, 03:21:00 PM »
Yes, I think it would be considered censorship if the post were to be removed.  I think everyone should be given the opportunity to share their thoughts and beleifs.  

I do however, think it is tacky when a consultant gives their advice on a public forum and then turns around and leaves their link to their website.  It is one thing for them to come on and share or tell how or why they beleive that what they are doing is in the best interest of children, whether it is true or not, but it is all together different when they leave their link, that is when their motives have to really be questioned.  

Are they trying to provide information to parents or are they trying to sell their consulting services?

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2003, 03:30:00 PM »
In addition her website is grossly misleading like so many other sites. Her statisics alone seem very suspect.

Utah programs have the same problems as all the others. In fact the worst programs are run in and from Utah. The regulations that were supposed to curb abuses in Utah are seldom enforced because the enforcement agency head has social ties with many of the program owners.

Child abuse is bad ergo people who abuse children are bad ergo places that abuse children are bad ergo industries that abuse children are bad ergo people who work in the industry are bad.

Sorry if it seems simplistic but until this industry submits to heavy regulation necesary to ensure the safety and freedom of its clients as every other industry that has ever held people against their will has had to submit to. As it stands now these programs have are at best frauds and often abusive.

[ This Message was edited by: FaceKhan on 2003-06-06 12:36 ]
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Lee Ann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2003, 06:45:00 PM »
I am trying to help FIX the industry!  I do not simply sit at my computer all day and bash programs or people trying to help others.  I feel I am actually helping make Utah programs better!!
I visit programs OFTEN and when I see a problem, I contact the state.  For instance, on the 29th of May, I contacted state licensing and lodged a complaint regarding a program I had recently visited,yesterday that program was personally inspected.  I can't guarantee that things will change, but at least that program knows they are being watched and the state is aware of the infractions.

I know it looks like I am money hungry.  I wish you all knew how many times I give away my sevices.  I believe Provo Canyon is a LAST resort program.  I know this, you know this, but how do we get that across to new parents looking at this one and others that ARE NOT SAFE???  There are programs in the state that I would not send my dog to ~ and guess what?? These programs are FULL!!  120 kids jammed into unkept and unsupervised warehouses.  When a parent askes, you bet I am going to step up, and send them a different direction.  Sorry it sounds like a sales pitch, it's meant to be a SAVE pitch!  Watching parents being sold a bill of goods kills me.  So frustrating!! :mad:

On the other hand there are safe programs out there.  Unless you have walked the halls, looked at credentials, and more importantly talked with the students face to face, you don't know that.  I have done these things.

I am only one voice here in Utah.  I can't be everywhere all the time.  Is there a group of people I can join to help make the necessary changes by going through the proper channels?  I am unaware of any but would be happy to lend my services to make this state a safer place for teens. I am in within 2 hours drive of 20 programs!  Lets put our heads together instead of bashing each other.
Lee Ann

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2003, 01:47:00 AM »
Although as a shorterm goal cleaning up the industry is laudable, it is not my goal and not my principle pursuit.

I want our government to protect the right of all individuals to be free from involuntary commitment to any in-patient psychiatric center. Teens should have the same rights as adults in resisting committment. That includes a full hearing before a court where no less than two physicians attest to a diagnosis of a mental disorder and a danger to the self or others requiring hospitalization.

Not getting along with your parents is not a mental disease, puberty is not a mental disease, slumping in grades is not a mental disease, hating your stepparent is not a mental disease, and winning a custody battle does not include kidnapping your kid to a concentration camp.

It can be no more clear than that. The entire industry is a fraud. It can't be fixed, because its a fraud. There can't be success rates because its a fraud. At best its little more than a teen tour for 4 times the money. At worst its a gulag complete with "reeducation".

And if you think Provo Canyon is an acceptable treatment option for any human being then our views can never even come close to being reconciled.

I accept small favors and regulation as they come but the truest regulation is that it is illegal to practice unlicensed mental health services with unqualified staff in all 50 states and that is what nearly every program does. In addition it is a violation of human rights to be held against ones will for psychological "treatment" unless a fair hearing is conducted where it is shown that the person represents a threat to themselves or others because of their documented mental disease.

Parents don't want to send their kids to therapists because often therapists see that the kid is reacting to the environment they are in and is not gonna place all the responsibility on the kid. Therapy takes a long time and only works when people want to work through it. Therapy also may reveal that the reason a person is unhappy or depressed or acting out is legitimate and parents might have to allow their teen to make changes in their lifestyle that make them uncomfortable or parents may be told that it is they who are contributing to the problems in the family. Teens are actually far less likely to suffer from mental illness than their parents and that is something they don't want to hear.

How do I know this because I suffered with clinical depression from a very young age and it took a long time to realize that rather unorthodox changes were necesary for me to at least take control of my life to the extent that if I worked at it I could be happy.

My therapist at one point told me to call him daily at 6am because it helped me to just wake up in the morning and at no point did he suggest some trek out into the woods or some hippie group therapy sharing circle bullshit would help me. He let me help myself by just listening and being a neutral party that I could run ideas by as to how to make my life better.

One explanation why incarceration of teens is so popular among wealthy parents.

"Its easier to love someone than to live with them. Love is fantasy, living is work, and those people don't like to work"

Oh and one more thing, I don't just sit at my computer all day. I discovered this industry while involved in the National Youth Rights Association, youthrights.org

I started studying it when my friend was kidnapped to Alldredge academy in WV. Going on nothing but the state that he was sent to I discovered where he was sent and enough dirt on the place to convince his father it was a mistake. His mother though kept him from coming home. I called prosecutors, CPS, the sheriff in WV and reporters. He was brought home a month early in a 3 month program (although some people have been there for over a year)

In addition I talked to my youth group about these places so they would know about them before it was too late.

More recently I have reported the Ivy Ridge WWASP facility in NY to the authorities and asked that it be investigated as an unlicensed mental health service.

I also made attempts to help a girl who claimed to have been raped at Carolina Springs and was on the verge of being sent back. Her parents would not let her call the police so I did my best to call for her.  

We may both be in the trenches but I am a volunteer, not a mercenary out to make money from "helping people."

As for the possibility that WWASP will finally be shut down soon and its leaders brought to justice, I can only say one thing.

"Corpse carriers to the guardhouse."-"Mother Night", Kurt Vonnegut

[ This Message was edited by: FaceKhan on 2003-06-06 23:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: FaceKhan on 2003-06-06 23:18 ]
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 04:52:00 PM »
We sent our son to PCS because of drug abuse. We had exhausted every other possible form of treatment and provided lots of love and guidance. After 3 months, he is back to the wonderful son we knew and have always loved, and we look forward to his return home to a clean and sober life. No, he does not like it, but has no stories about the alleged "horrors" that go on there. PCS has saved our son!!!!We will always be eternally grateful to his primary therapist. If you would like to talk, reply with an e-mail address or phone # or whatever and I will be happy to speak with you!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 07:10:00 PM »
Hope you kid doesn't get molested there...