Author Topic: Boomers and HCV  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Rude Intrusion

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« on: October 30, 2006, 02:48:54 PM »
If your a baby boomer, go get tested for HepC. Chances are good you have it. You won't know it until you are dying from it, if you don't get tested before hand. They can save you with a liver transplant; but livers are hard to come by; and once the boomers begin to drop over with HCV in the numbers expected, the situation will be much worse.

It can be cleared from the body, allowing the liver to heal, if the damage isn't already to sever. The medicine is a bitch to take and will make you sick. But it can clear the virus and your liver can then heal itself.

There are so many ways to have become infected that it is almost pointless to list. It is almost better to assume if you are a boomer, you should be tested.

But those who should absolutely get tested are those who ever used a needle to get high. Even one time.

Anyone with "blue" tattoos. The home made kind.

If you engage in "ruff" sex - or anything that might cause a blood exchange with an IV drug user or a tattooed person, go get tested.

Snorting drugs is also risky. It the jambing of the straw up your nose that puts you at risk.

Anyone who got a blood transfusion prior to the mid 1980's.

If you ever underwent medical "scooping" prior to the mid 90's.

Anyone who had a dental procedure prior to the mid 90's or so.

I would also be suspicious of any tattoo done, even in a good shop,  prior to the advent of AIDS and the common use of heat to sterilize. If you do not know for sure and certain that the shop you use always uses an autoclave to sterilize their equipment - you better go on and get tested.

Testing positive dose not mean you have the virus. Some 15 % of persons who have the antibodies have cleared the virus on their own. The rest will need to be treated to clear it.

It is important to note, you can cook this virus in your liver for decades and never seem at all sick. You may not show the slightest symptom until your liver fails. Do not comfort yourself with "I feel fine". It don't mean shit. Go get tested.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:51:42 PM by Guest »
ashed Brains Shrink

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 02:50:24 PM »
And here I was thinking that Social Security would be a problem. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:24:34 AM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penal""
And here I was thinking that Social Security would be a problem. :)

LOL  ::bwahaha::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:38:10 AM »
Many a truth is spoken in jest & Many an ole hippy will never see 60, never mind 70 or 80. Generation X may not have nearly as depleated a Soc Sec fund as has been anticipated.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:48:08 AM »

That includes a heck of a lot more folks than just the boomers!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 03:48:18 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

That includes a heck of a lot more folks than just the boomers!

Yes it does. The boomers are the ones most at risk; but the risk factors carry over to a wide swath of the population. Its the boomers who have reached a point were their 20 or 30 year old infections are beginning to kill them.

The thing about the dental procedures (that draw blood) is it was common to use disinfectants to sterilize the instruments. This dose not kill HCV. It takes heat to inactivate this virus. There is not a high risk from Dental work - but there is some - and so if you had a root canal or a tooth pulled back when they thought disinfectants were good enough - you should get tested.  

A lot of docs only want to test liver enzymes and if they are OK not worry about it. But I think it would be wise to press for the HCV test even if the liver currently seems healthy. It is entirely possible the liver isn't suffering damage yet - but that if it isn't treated it will - and it is easier to clear the virus from a healthy liver than a sick one.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 05:48:46 PM »
I am not sure if your doomesday scenario is accurate.

Is your data from some real source or a fringe alternative
goods and services supplier about to scare folks into buying
the next great product, rediscovered from ancient times?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I am not sure if your doomsday scenario is accurate.

Is your data from some real source or a fringe alternative
goods and services supplier about to scare folks into buying
the next great product, rediscovered from ancient times?

I'm telling you what my husband's doctor has told us. I didn't link to any web sites, b/c so many of them do link to adds for vitamins, herbs and minerals as a help or even a cure for this infection.  The problem of hype and snake oil cures for this infection will no doubt become a greater problem in years to come. But for now - what works, are very expensive meds that will make you feel like you have a bad case of flu for about a year. But, it can clear the virus. Important, if you want to avoid liver transplantation, and / or early death.  

I am not trying to sound like a doomsday prophet. I am just trying to tell people that there is a danger that they may not be aware of.  If they don't ask for the test, they may suffer a great deal of liver damage before the virus is ever discovered - and that need not be the case. There is a much better chance for healing if the infection is found while the liver is still in good, or at least fair shape. So it really is worth while to find out ASAP if there is any chance of infection.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 08:11:58 PM »
http://www.hepatitisdoctor.com/

an informative web site that isn't hocking magical silver or miraculous herbs. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 10:09:27 PM »
Not exactly sure  how you could get this snorting drugs. There may be a breaking of the skin in the nostril, but how exactly would there be blood in the drugs? Hep C transmits from blood to blood.

My friend has hep C and he will be starting on inteferon soon, (depending on his  biopsy).

Offline Rude Intrusion

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 12:31:21 PM »
My understanding is that it is the common practice of several people sharing the snorting device. There can be enough of a blood exchange, from person to person, to transmit the virus in this way. I was surprised to hear this myself - and just a little alarmed.

Why does your friends treatment depends on his biopsy? S/He can be treated even if they have cerosis (sp?). Please forward to  them the above link.  They need to educate themselves so they can effectively demand the best treatment for their situation.
ashed Brains Shrink

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 11:12:49 PM »
Maybe I worded it wrong. I think he is going to be treated regardless of the biopsy, it's just that the doctor wants the biopsy done first, so he can determine whatever needs to be done regarding the inteferon treatment. Maybe dosage or something like that?

Crazy thing is, he still doesn't know how he got it. He's never injected drugs before. He thinks it might have been a tattoo he got in Japan, or when he accidentally fell into some filthy water in Taiwan, with a huge open wound.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 11:30:12 PM »
Hey guys, do some research. A virus, is a virus, is a virus.
Herpes, Hep, Aids, all spread just like any other virus. Contact with bodily fluids just increases your chances of contracting it.
You can start with Dr. Strecker.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... r+%2B+aids

In Strecker's video, which I have, he says your only defense is a good offense. Keep your immune system in tip-top shape and avoid risky situations.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 11:44:13 PM »
Well, that's no fun.

Offline Rude Intrusion

• View Profile
Boomers and HCV
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 11:03:15 AM »
Quote from: ""try another castle""
Maybe I worded it wrong. I think he is going to be treated regardless of the biopsy, it's just that the doctor wants the biopsy done first, so he can determine whatever needs to be done regarding the inteferon treatment. Maybe dosage or something like that?

Crazy thing is, he still doesn't know how he got it. He's never injected drugs before. He thinks it might have been a tattoo he got in Japan, or when he accidentally fell into some filthy water in Taiwan, with a huge open wound.

My guess is the tattoo. It is listed as a risk factor. The doc was telling us there are some patients who have no idea how they got it - they deny any of the risk factors - but there it is. I suspect that they forgot about snorting the coke that one time - or maybe some medical procedure they never thought of as a risk.

I have to disagree with you there Deb - about a virus being a virus. They can differ greatly in how you contract them, and what they then do to you, and then how you get rid of them, if it is even possible.

HAV is easier to cure than HCV for example - and HBV and HAV are both easier to contract than HCV;  there are vaccines for both A & B, but not C  - and this is just the differences in Hepatitis viri. There are significant differences in geno type - which I am just learning about. Geno type 1 HCV, is harder to eradicate than genotype 2 or 3. Unfortunately it is also the most common among infected Americans.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, but should. You can not contract this virus (HCV) in any kind of normal day to day living. Spouses of infected partners have only a 1% chance of being infected, even after 25 years of marriage. For example, My husband and I have been happily married for 24 years now - together for 26; he is believed to have contracted this virus sometime back in 76 or 77; but I have never contracted it from him.

TA Castle - I suppose my concern for your friend is apparently some doctors will not treat a patient whose liver is in bad shape - thinking it is pointless. But according to what I have learned recently, this is just not so. SO - if your friend is denied treatment they will need to be able to argue effectively in their own behalf with the doctor - or be able to shop for a more knowledgable doctor. And you need your own knowledge to be able to do that.

That being said, it is common practice to check the liver's condition prior to treatment. They do need to see what kind of shape it is in. As I understand it, in very simplistic terms - the sicker the liver the higher does of the meds. This is b/c a sick liver is harder to get the meds into - so you need a higher saturation. Now - that's just my understanding - and I could be misunderstanding a lot.

For those who doubt how pervasive this virus is in the population - everyone I have spoken to about this - every friend or family member we have confided in - has named at least one - and sometimes several other people who are fighting this virus.

If you have ever - even once - put yourself in the at risk category - please consider getting tested.

BTW - you youngsters out there - the doc was telling us he expects a massive spike in infection as a result of the common practice of Piercing. Do to the fact it is an unregulated, he expects many who have pericings to turn up infected with this virus.
ashed Brains Shrink