Author Topic: # of schools & programmes  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
# of schools & programmes
« on: October 29, 2006, 10:22:33 PM »
Hi
Does anyone know where to find some stats on the number of TBS schools and wilderness programmes in existence, or the number of kids that go through the system?
What about the growth of the industry over the last 10 years?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: # of schools & programmes
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 05:00:22 AM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
Hi
Does anyone know where to find some stats on the number of TBS schools and wilderness programmes in existence, or the number of kids that go through the system?

I may be wrong, but I don't believe such stats exist, and I would assume such programs would rather keep it that way.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 05:17:54 AM »
It may well be that you don't want to know either.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 05:17:55 AM »
Quote from: ""psy""
Hi

I may be wrong, but I don't believe such stats exist, and I would assume such programs would rather keep it that way.

This "industry" has been around for decades.....honestly.  There should be some stats by now.   The only ones that I can find say the opposite of what the programmies will tell you.   Nixon started (in a way, he really kicked it off)....this whole 'drug war' deal.  How well has that worked out yet???  Someone PLEASE cite me at least SOME stats or studies that justify my tax dollars going to fight this stupid, goddamn "WAR".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 08:10:59 AM »
they have no idea how much drugs are produced and brought into this country all they know about is the miniscule amount they stop at the border or on people trafficking it. havn't you seen the news conferences where the local PD shows off their catch? the war on drugs is not about statistics and logic, it's all about fear and propganda and emotions... but thats what people seem to find important these days so what can you do..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 02:09:21 PM »
Hi

There are "any number" of wilderness programs, but of the type generally intended to influence behavior in some way, there are around 50 or so, possibly aproaching 100 if you include some part-time and weekend programs targeting just local youth, but excluding Boy Scouts.

If by TBS you mean to include all types of therapeutic programs, such as emotional growth schools/programs, the issue gets trickier.  "The Industry" more or less would recognize something around 2-300 I think, but there are any number more under different names.  Some are as small as a few kids in a house.  I was told Utah has issues something over 200 licenses for "therapeutic" places, whether TBS or something else.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:02:25 PM »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 03:56:54 PM »
The first list is somewhat inflated; it contains Casa by the Sea (which we all know got destroyed by Mexican authorities) and other shut-down hellholes, and several facilities devoted to developmentally disabled children which would never practice the sort of torture discussed on these boards. Not all of the facilities on that list are the sort of evil we deal with on Fornits or even the sort of thing that's meant by "RTC" or "TBS". It's a tactic of theirs- artificially inflate their numbers by including places not even in the same category.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 04:42:58 PM »
From Forbes, 2002
Outsourcing the problem kids of the wealthy is a booming business. Each year 10,000 kids attend residential programs to get off drugs and deal with emotional and psychological problems. Fixing bad kids is a $2 billion-a-year industry in the private sector, growing enough to attract firms such as Warburg Pincus. Some 115 (*now near 170) such programs are listed by a big trade group, Natsap (National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs); add nonmembers, and some 300 private programs treat kids, up tenfold since 1993, says Lon E. Woodbury of The Woodbury Report, a newsletter.
The article is "When Rich Kids Go Bad"
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2002/1014/140.html

Highlights Leigh Horowitz, daughter of Tommy Hilfiger CEO.
Take a look at her homepage. Jack Beam in the Desert.... Is that a statement?
http://leighhorowitz.com/

There's a related article re: Horowitz's financial contributions to CEDU.
Horowitz wants to change all that. Four years ago he co-founded the Friends of CEDU Foundation. Contributions from him and the Tommy Hilfiger Foundation comprise the bulk of the $500,000 fund.
http://www.forbes.com/2002/10/08/1008cedu.html
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 05:22:53 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Contributions from him and the Tommy Hilfiger Foundation comprise the bulk of the $500,000 fund.
http://www.forbes.com/2002/10/08/1008cedu.html

I'm now going to burn all my TH clothes.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 05:28:03 PM »
:o

Tommy Hilfiger is involved in this shit? Some asshole selling overpriced clothes to teenagers funds facilities to abuse them? Who's next? Video game companies?

What I'd love is for one of these rich tards to send their kids to a program, put the kids in his will, die, and then the kid gives a substantial portion of the inheritance money...

...to CAFETY and/or Fornits.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 06:36:23 PM »
I can't believe the number of programs is that small. TBS + RTC + EG among all 50 states is more likely well over 1000.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 07:19:14 PM »
FYI, That number doesn't include religious/christian programs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 07:30:04 PM »
A thousand of these things? I seriously doubt that. I'd love to see the proof.

Deb: Yes it does. Maybe not all of them, but the word Christian is used in three of them and I'm sure a lot of the others have some sort of religious tie-in.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 07:50:03 AM »
Milk,
If you go to his site you'll see a separate catagory for "Christian" schools. I didn't look at it. There's also a catagory for Military schools which I didn't include.