Author Topic: brainstorming session: shutting programs down for good  (Read 7927 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
brainstorming session: shutting programs down for good
« on: October 28, 2006, 04:56:34 AM »
It's all fine and dandy to swat programs like flies but it seems as if they breed faster than they die.  I would think that in order to stop them from popping back up, enforced regulation (or abolition) of the industry would have to instituted.

I realize, in order to do this, legislation must be passed.  The problem with that, as I see it, is that there is little motive for politicians to do so.  I do not think making them (directly) aware of the situation would be productive in most cases. In order for politicians to care about an issue, it must be one that is important enough to the voters so that it could be spun into an issue of use to them(this is, of course, assuming lobbyists don't enter the situation).

Do programs as an issue hold this potential?  I think they do, if the truth is exposed to enough people.  Even if it did not affect legislature, it would hold the potential of creating a wider public awareness of the realities of program life.

There is a problem here.  Programs have a lot bigger of a megaphone. In terms of the lobbyists they could churn out of K street, the lawyers they could hire, the press contacts they could arrainge, the talk show hosts they could buy, and the sheer amount of resources at their disposal, it would seem they have the upper hand by a large margin.

One would have to have some sort of means of publicity to match or beat whatever programs could throw out as damage control.  Since most of the media seems to parrot press releases rather than actually do research they cannot be relied upon to do their jobs and investigate program claims on their own.  Somebody would have to help them out.

The question is, and i'm suggesting we brainstorm here: how is it possable to create a loud enough noise to drown out the programs?  I have some ideas, but i'd like to hear what other people have to say.

It has to be possable, because otherwise, i don't see a way (legal or illegal) the grim program situation is ever going to change.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 07:15:45 AM »
Create outrage and direct it into something political and/or a media frenzy.

Its really the only way to do a GOD DAMNED THING these days.

So, get teen help to pick on 'ethnic kids' or whatever, and there ya go.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 10:38:52 AM »
How 'bout getting a hundred people to send a copy of Help at Any Cost to Larry King? (or some such person) Also of corse their own reps in DC. If Larry King ( or any media person) got even ten copies in one week, don't you think he'd feel maybe he should read it? And if he read it, don't you think he might realize what a story this is?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »
Send them to Michael Moore.  I'm sure he would love to do a film that allows him to address a real social wrong and at the same time take a swipe at the Republicans who support the sadistic hell camps.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 01:27:22 PM »
It would be a film that is in essence a sequel to Bowling for Columbine.  These programs thrive on the Columbine fallout and parents' fear of their child being a shooter, and the damage it would do to their standing in the community.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »
Find out all the publications that advertise these programs.  Sunset magazine for years has always had several pages devoted to advertisements from CEDU etc.  Send them info about programs, especially the ones that advertise in their magazine pointing out the many lawsuits that have and are being pursued.  Ask them to descontinue Find the law firms that are pursuing the suits and let them know what publications the programs advertise in because when they throw out that big net they should not leave anyone out, especially those publications that aid and abet by allowing the advertising.  
To every school district psychologist, child psychiatrist and other professional who may be tempted to recommend a program, send them regulary info about the lawsuits, deaths etc at these programs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 07:05:55 PM »
I'm jazzed about Michael Moore getting into this.  I've got a child in a program now (I'm a regular - incognito for reasons I can't divulge, but it's a good thing) and the idea of MM showing up at the hell-hole asking program staff questions they know they can't answer and trying furiously to spin from the hip would be a treat.  Maia Szalavitz is good on camera, Alexia Parks I've never seen.  The Scheff vs. Bock debacle is an example of a program Goliath running roughshod over a hurricane-displaced single mom.  Whitmore, HLA, the whole lot of shitholes currently under fire would be a field day for Moore.  I can give him access to a facility virtually unknown but brutal as hell and take him to the front door.

Here's Michael Moore's e-mail address from his website at www.michaelmoore.com:     [email protected]

Let's start sending him our stories and see if we can get any interest.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 09:11:15 PM »
Just ask very nicley will you all close down.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 09:15:19 PM »
Here's a technique I've used in groups of activists before... Guerilla Media.

Write two articles/press releases.
One is positive and appreciates the target for taking measures to remedy x,y,z complaints.
The second is negative-outlines the complaints and the target's refusal to respond to reasonable demands.
Send both to said target and ask which article/pr they'd like to see in a full-page ad in whatever newspaper/publication.
Give them a deadline to respond.
Media adv't costs money, but well placed, it can significantly cripple a business. If they're terribly resistent, you may have to publish the piece until drops in profit compell them to comply.

If you want to build a strong Guerilla Media group you must function with integrity. Cite your complaints and be prepared with ample documentation to support them, if the negative article is published.
It's been useful in many situations and I think it could be in many scenerios with the industry.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wiki?
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 09:37:57 PM »
I was thinking of, among other things, a wiki (for registered users only).  This would allow a large amount of information to be compiled in an organized fashion relatively quickly.  It could provide an easily searchable library of information regarding all things having to do with programs.

Besides the obvious things, such as a list of known abusive programs, It could include possable techniques for action against programs from a variety of different angles (legal, media, etc.)  A section of common program abuses could be coupled with suggested actions for each.  For example, a program forcing children to wade through manure could be reported to the sanitation authorities.

Of course the wiki is likely to be vandalized by programs/ed-cons on a semi-regular baisis, however a wiki allow one to easily revert changes.

Functionally a wiki would provide a similar facility to Fornits, but would be organized in a different fashion.  A discussion board is great for some things but i would think a wiki would allow information to be collected and organized more effeciently.  This could allow easier research as well as a place to point people looking for information regarding programs.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 09:46:31 PM »
Let's phrase the question another way: "What *has* worked?"

Why is HLA eating it? What causes shutdowns? Why do authorities decide to raid at one time and not another?

The way to get the ball rolling is to let enough people, both in authority and not, know just what the hell goes on in these places and that it's up to them to stop it. Not much else will suffice. When enough people say "I'm not going to stand for this to exist", it won't anymore. It'll get closed the fuck down- not just one at a time but the whole mess. When enough outrage, fury, and political momentum gets directed at this crap, that's when the ass kicking starts.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 11:51:47 PM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penal""
The way to get the ball rolling is to let enough people, both in authority and not, know just what the hell goes on in these places and that it's up to them to stop it.

I agree.  I thought that was what i had originaly stated.  If i wasn't clear enough that was my bad.  My question revolves around: How do you get enough people to know about, and give a damn about programs?  By what means is it possable?

I know what needs to be accomplished.  I'm asking how.  People need to be appalled.  How do you do that on a large enough scale to affect change?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 12:28:26 AM »
If I knew the answer to that, Fornits would be a place to talk about the bad old days in which people did things like torture children for fun and profit.

Start appalling everyone you know and hopefully it'll spread. There's no limit to the shocking shit, and it's even more effective if they're physically close. Just the words "Milk Gargling Death Penalty" might be enough for some people..

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
answer.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 02:35:24 AM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penal""
If I knew the answer to that, Fornits would be a place to talk about the bad old days in which people did things like torture children for fun and profit.

Well i guess i'm trying to find the answer.

Start appalling everyone you know and hopefully it'll spread. There's no limit to the shocking shit, and it's even more effective if they're physically close. Just the words "Milk Gargling Death Penalty" might be enough for some people..

These are the days of goatse and rotten.com and ogrish.  It's a lot harder to shock people than it used to be.  Have you seen any record turn-outs for anti-war protests?  They're actually bigger overseas.  I live just outside DC and the last one was all of 200-300 people.

Sure people leave two shits in front of their TV or computer, but it does not make a damn bit of difference if action is not taken elsewhere.  How many users are there on Fornits?  If those "resources" were diverted into a project with the purpose of influencing the public, i believe it would be possable to have enough of a voice to compete with the programs.

Perhaps some sort of collaborative project could be possable to create videos, panphlets, fliers, press releases, etc.  Once the content is collectively aggreed upon (god help us all), it could be distrobuted via every media possable at once.  A flood of information is more likely to get noticed than a steady trickle.

I'm asking the unreasonable yes, but I believe progress depends on those who do.  There are a lot of smart people on Fornits, and I truly do not believe the programs stand a chance if we work together rather than against each other.  It's just a matter of organization in my mind.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 10:36:34 AM »
I don't put much faith in Federal Regs, but support any effort that might bring improvement. State licensing is another matter.

Here's something you could do with a group of committed people. Power in numbers. Preferably this would be parents, participants, advocates. You might even name your group and pick a rep who interacts with the state on the group's behalf.

Target one state at a time. Pick one that has a large number of residential programs and or a high number of deaths in programs.
Lists of deaths can be found at FICA and CAICA:
http://kathymoya.com/FICA/deaths.htm
http://www.caica.org/NEWS%20Deaths%20Li ... mitted.htm

Lists of programs can be found at NATSAP and
at Bozak's site:
http://www.natsap.org/search.asp
http://www.school-placement.com/therapeuticlist.html

Research licensing in that state. This link is primarily for Daycare Licensing in all states, but when you click on a state you should be able to link to Licensing for Residential/Outdoor programs from there.
http://nrc.uchsc.edu/STATES/states.htm

Does that state have regs for RTCs/ TBSs/ Wilderness? Are the regulations adequate? Most have not kept up with the Industry. For instance, Ga has regs for RTCs, but they're lame in comparison to Utah's regs for TBSs.  Utah's regs for Wilderness are also superior to Ga's. You can read more about that in the HLA forum:
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=19064
We found that Ga had no idea so many programs were operating in their state. Don't assume they know.

Check to see if all the programs in that state are properly licensed. If not, demand that they become licensed. If previously 'exempted', why? Claim to be a 'boarding school'?  Provide proof they aren't.
Licensing may drag their feet. If so, go up the chain of command until you get someone's attention.
Chain of command: Licensing -> Dept of Human Resources -> Governor
Resort to Guerilla Media if necessary.

There are many other agencies you can file complaints with.
Check the credentials of 'professional' staff. Do they possess the degrees and licenses they claim? If not, report them to the Board of Examiners.
Is the program refering to babysitters as "counselors" and having them lead group therapy? Report it.
Known and documented abuses and negligence? Involve CPS.
~~

Many advocates have given up on state licensing for good reason. The regs are useless if not enforced, but there are numerous other reasons it's important for programs to be licensed, given that they aren't going to go away.
*They are requried to report incidences of assault, rape, injury, death. And the info becomes public. We need this data if we ever hope to show ineffectiveness.
*Until a program is licensed, it is difficult for Licensing or CPS to gain access to investigate abuse/neglect because they are a private corporation with all the rights that entails. It's a huge rigamaroll.
*Once licensed, all complaints lodged against the program can be requested by potential parents.
*All violations of regs then become public as well.

Licensing is not insurance that kids will be treated with respect and dignity, or that they'll be much safer, but they are important for the reasons stated.

And, if licensing isn't your bag, start a campaign in your state advocating for a Wraparound program similar to Milwaukee's-
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=19038
While this program appears to target low-income families, it would be easy to include all families and those with the ability to pay would do so.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700