Author Topic: Elan School  (Read 11888 times)

Offline AntiWriter

• View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/plaasma%20box/myhomepage/index.html
Elan School
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2002, 02:06:00 PM »
While I realize the Tc's have similarities, I would disagree that there is a worse feeling in seeing one's parents complicit...although I realize it would be a grotesque thing.  I also think that being ALLOWED to LEAVE a confinement (like house arrest) while horrific is it's own "prison" yet still NOT the same as being basically "kidnapped" and taken away from everything you know.  I have been following up with Elan and listening to the posters it is much harder for them to come together than for the Straights as the level of abuse was so severe.  I see this with disabled persons (I am one).  The more severe the disability frequently the more difficult it is for the person to fight for their rights as they are so busy treading water and managing coping and survival skills secondary to the condition itself (a limitation).

So I am sorry, I am grateful to this board but am realizing that like five star hotels (which have one more star for a reason) the "let's go guide" to abusive facilities would list Elan as a more hardcore world; this is from outsider observations...I mean I don't doubt the Straights were not awful psychologically and have conducted parts of an online radio program (something I could do through Lycos which so conveniently disbanded our little bitty radio "talk jockey" programs immediately after 9.11 (which I lived through in NYC itself, ugh) discussing "the straights" as Professor Trebech has so succinctly summarized and the survivors have come together to form a pretty stable picture of.

The problem here is that with Elan the levels of abuse were so Mansonesque "the Family" and so diabolical-- using youths "way of speaking" and like the media does "reappropriating it all" to be used against themselves...poor kids.  Amazingly it takes a prominent murderer for most people (Skakel) to even look into the nightmare.

Still, I appreciate your attempt at empathy with Elaners, I also must use my own experiences in attempting to UNDERSTAND all the TC's to empathize.  I simply think there are things that one must be thankful not to have experienced and we all have our room "101" to attempt to find an image for those that read 1984.  

Funny, the whole US is currently finally catching up (sickeningly) with 1984 imho post9.11.

Well, thanks for bearing with me, I have taken a lot of abuse and flak on the "TimeToClosetheDoors" board and then it was up and disappeared in time and space.  Perhaps I was kicked off or they all moved.

I was referred to Fornits.  I am glad for the extra clarity and the more informal and less "in your face" (mostly) feeling to the discussion here.  Thanks again.  

Liz/Dantien 37
Antiwriter/writer
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Rummaging in the world media archive is incompatible with the constitutional state\" Geert Lovink/ Radiotext(e)

Offline E7haterJe

• View Profile
Elan School
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2004, 08:10:00 AM »
how can elan be shut down?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Elan School
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2004, 12:57:00 PM »
What exactly does the world expect when 300 emotionally challenged brat criminal asshole kids and a few former addict adults congreagate and try to "get better"?

Elan was not its own entity. each resident contributed to the whole of Elan.
Those who blame Elan for their problems must take a little resonsibily for fucking up someone elses life too.

Those who were sent to Elan have to take a little responibility for behaving in a manner that warranted some sort of intense treatment (Im not saying Elan provided that) But children were not plucked from society at random by the courts, the education departments, and/or their parents to be shuttled into Elan, especilly considering what Elan cost.

I hold those who decided to send me there responsible more than I hold "Elan" responsible for what happened there. As an adult parent, I have to ask myself how irresponsible it would be if I didnt ask a million questions about the program and not only HOW it is run, but WHO it is run by. A little research on Joe Ricci, and a few Key Staff members would have me high tail it to another more suitable solution for my troubled child...one with QUALIFIED directors.

Ask yourself this, would you want your child in an environment that you are NOT permitted to witness in its entirety for any period of time?

We are all a product of our surroundings. We grew up victims of people who made the decision to send us to Elan without some serious scrutiny. THIS is the problem, impatient STUPID insensitive parents, educators and legal players. The effort to "close Elan" emulates this behavior. When Elan is gone, there will still be troubled kids out there with parents like us who will find another Elan to send them to rather than putting an intense effort into a solution.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Elan School
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
Oh Art, you DO know me, but my anonimity allows you to treat me with just a little more repsect than if I were to tell you my name and befuttle you with irrelevancies, or an oportunity to tongue lash me yet again.

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• View Profile
Elan School
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2004, 04:58:00 PM »
On 2004-06-04 09:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What exactly does the world expect when 300 emotionally challenged brat criminal asshole kids and a few former addict adults congreagate and try to "get better"?

Elan was not its own entity. each resident contributed to the whole of Elan.

Those who blame Elan for their problems must take a little resonsibily for fucking up someone elses life too.

Those who were sent to Elan have to take a little responibility for behaving in a manner that warranted some sort of intense treatment (Im not saying Elan provided that) But children were not plucked from society at random by the courts, the education departments, and/or their parents to be shuttled into Elan, especilly considering what Elan cost.

I hold those who decided to send me there responsible more than I hold "Elan" responsible for what happened there. As an adult parent, I have to ask myself how irresponsible it would be if I didnt ask a million questions about the program and not only HOW it is run, but WHO it is run by. A little research on Joe Ricci, and a few Key Staff members would have me high tail it to another more suitable solution for my troubled child...one with QUALIFIED directors.

Ask yourself this, would you want your child in an environment that you are NOT permitted to witness in its entirety for any period of time?

We are all a product of our surroundings. We grew up victims of people who made the decision to send us to Elan without some serious scrutiny. THIS is the problem, impatient STUPID insensitive parents, educators and legal players. The effort to "close Elan" emulates this behavior. When Elan is gone, there will still be troubled kids out there with parents like us who will find another Elan to send them to rather than putting an intense effort into a solution.

"
:nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  You are absolutely correct!
jesus has risen, and he thinks you are a cocksucker\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Elan School
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2004, 07:02:00 PM »
Liz? Cmon, its less than 5 pages long...I couldnt possibly be Liz.

Ill give you a hint.
Starts with a D and usually ends with someone crying. :rofl:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Elan School
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »
Oh, thats more of an insult than Liz was Art!

Heres another hint, I am VERY insensitive according to you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Elan School
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2004, 11:40:00 PM »
Wanna go fishing?

Offline xres8182

• View Profile
Elan School
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2004, 10:30:00 AM »
That was a good post Doug.Elan was a f-n joke and most likely still is.Like sending someone who needs brain surgery to Dr.Howard,Dr. Fine,and Dr. Howard.