Author Topic: Attn: SysAdmin (Anonymous Posting)  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Attn: SysAdmin (Anonymous Posting)
« on: March 03, 2003, 08:18:00 PM »
Lately there has been a lot of breath spent on whether or not a person should post anonymously. Perhaps this should no longer be an option. Is it too much to ask that a person pick a unique name (real or a pseudonym) to post under? Is there a reason why we should have to wonder which
anonymous is posting a message? Considering the recent 'goings on' on this board, I think that this option ought to be considered. Thanks...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline 2dogs

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 12:55:00 AM »
No control over anyone else sounds better to me.  If everyone posting anonymous would agree with everything you say , you might feel different. Not trying to be a prick (this one time) just something to consider....Joey

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 01:09:00 AM »
yo, control freak -- give it up! ( :nworthy: )

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 01:17:00 AM »
Well, I'd like to say one thing about control. I have no choice here. I am an unfortunate subscriber to an ISP that Fornits administrators have barred from making anonymous posts. I suppose I get a little annoyed when I see anonymous posts, I'd love to make a few now and then. :smokin:

Offline 2dogs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 01:19:00 AM »
Thats fucked-up!...dogs

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 10:01:00 AM »
Well, whatever. It would be nice if we had some sense of who's who, but I don't run this board. Whether or not they agree with me is beside the point. (If you agree with me, I wouldn't mind knowing who you are so I could commend you for your intelligence, LOL. If you don't, I'd also want to know so that I could privately curse your name! ::cheers::

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2003, 10:19:00 AM »
I think its helpful just to have a reference when replying to someone.  You can still be anonymous by chosing a name that is completely different.  I use my real name...but I couldnt tell you who "2dogs" is, or any of those people who use obviously fabricated names.  It can get confusing trying to reply to three different anonymous people on a thread.  If you have to supply an e-mail, just make one up...or open a yahoo account that is totally anonymous.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline JDavid

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/moondiggum
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 12:01:00 PM »
The originating IP is already there even when something is written as Anonymous.  The only additional things the profile registration requires is a user name, a password and an email address.  You can make the email address invisible to everyone.  So, even having a profile is completely anonymous.  Based on the current required fields being only those 3, I'm all for requiring a unique ID to post messages.

David
Kennesaw, GA

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2003, 12:28:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2003, 02:19:00 PM »
Don't blame the players...blame the game

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2003, 03:00:00 PM »
On 2003-03-04 11:19:00, Anonymous wrote:
"Don't blame the players...blame the game "

What do you mean?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2003, 05:30:00 PM »
On 2003-03-03 22:19:00, 2dogs wrote:
"Thats fucked-up!...dogs"

Yeah, it is! We've been tweaking the spam filter to rule out multiple posting of the same message and a few other types of spam. But it was never intended to block anonymous posts that are not spam. We'll work on it. Mean time, if anyone else gets banned, let us know so we can try and fix the problem.

God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
http://www.perlservices.com' target='_new'>Perl Services

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2003, 05:56:00 PM »

On 2003-03-03 22:17:00, METALGOD8 wrote:

"Well, I'd like to say one thing about control. I have no choice here. I am an unfortunate subscriber to an ISP that Fornits administrators have barred from making anonymous posts. I suppose I get a little annoyed when I see anonymous posts, I'd love to make a few now and then. :smokin: "

First, there is no ISP wide ban on anon posting. There is only one ISP that had been banned, and those people can not even read the goings on here.

Second, I have changed the method of how a person gets band so that whole ISPs (proxy servers) do not get banned anymore. The ban time has been lowered to 2 hours. And th only people that get banned by the filter are Anon posters, where we get a lot of SPAM and crap from.

When a user is banned we are doing it by setting a cookie. So if you get banned as an anon user, you will also be banned with your regular login for the ban duration (2 hours), or unless you manipulate your cookies.

As far as forcing people to create an account in order to post, I refuse to do this unless it is for a "Private" forum. Personally I like a nice open atmosphere, and if it weren't for abusers FUCKING things up for the rest of us, I would have never put restrictions on what is posted.

If you REALLY want to know EXACTLY how the ban filter works, let me know and I will tell you privately (depending on who you are :wink: ). But there are details that I would rather not post, so the ASS HOLES can take advantage. However I will say that the filter is more stringent on Anon the registered users.

Offline 2dogs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2003, 01:21:00 AM »
Who are you referring to as ASS HOLES or abusers?  Just curious. I always kinda thought that this board was open from the core out.
   If you are referring to spammers I get it....Joey

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2003, 10:26:00 AM »

On 2003-03-04 22:21:00, 2dogs wrote:

"Who are you referring to as ASS HOLES or abusers?  Just curious. I always kinda thought that this board was open from the core out.
   If you are referring to spammers I get it....Joey"

If I knew who the Ass Holes were, It would be easier to deal with. However most of the anons that have caused these problems are over in one of the other forums where things tend to get quite a bit hostile and those "SUPPORTERS" of abusive programs want to try and disrupt/destroy what we have here.

The spam I am talking about is not so much the "Buy my shit" Spam, but literally hundreds of messages filled with garbage and icons which take up DB spaces and bandwidth (when someone goes to read a forum/topic).

So unless you sit here and post message after message of irrelevant material/garbage with the intent to irritate people and disrupt the discussions that are hosted here at Fornits, then please don't think that Ass Hole comment was directed to you.  The fact is, the people that have user accounts and post anonymously are not the problem, it is the "real" anon users which in part are made up of current and ex abusers, or their supporters :flame: ."