Author Topic: Blips in your educational path?  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Fake Parent Troll

• View Profile
Blips in your educational path?
« on: October 04, 2006, 09:39:44 AM »
Have any of you had to deal with some major "blips" in your educational path? My son got kicked out of a disastrous boarding school in March of his soph year do to a combination of factors- some his issues, some the school's. None of the issues were academic. He spent a year in a very structured boarding school with good academics and a strong support system and was admitted to a top prep boarding school in the NE where he is doing a 2nd junior year and will do a senior year. His academics were strong throughout all this upheaval. His emotional growth has been impressive, and he is regarded as a mature young man and a strong contributor to his current school. He is also likely to be a recruited runner which he will use to help him get an edge for some top schools. Everyone on this board seems so exceptional- any situations similar to ours? Thanks. Karen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 09:48:46 AM »
Gee, I thought your son was halfway through college now.  I wonder why you are posting this very old post again.  Wait-maybe it isn't really you, Karen!  Could it BE someone impersonating her?  NOT on fornits, certainly, where everyone has the utmost integrity and respect for others.  Since it was reported, sadly, that Karen had disappeared both from here and ST, I wonder who it could be bringing back these posts?  Maybe someone very, very lonely and bored with no life???

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 09:51:20 AM »
Everyone on this board seems so exceptional- any situations similar to ours?

Thanks for the compliment, but no, I did a fine job raising my kids and didn't need the help of various programs to get rid of my responsibilities. But yes, we are quite exceptional here and thank you for noticing, karen.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:52:09 AM »
Hey Karen, you still watching that video of your son porking his girlfriend?  I bet you are.  You're a very, very dirty girl, Karen.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Fake Parent Troll

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 10:00:51 AM »
Don't think we were "stupid, lazy and cruel", but do agree that the family dynamics had failed. However, the teen needed to take ownership of his role in that failure- lying, stealing,drinking, wrecking cars, selling pot, not going to school..... During wilderness (he liked the hiking, by the way) he did take ownership of those things.
Do you really consider sending a teen to a therapeutic program for a year or two "paying someone else to raise your child"? These "children" have become a threat to themselves and others. I still haven't heard any wisdom from you morons on a better way to address this. Let them go to jail? Let them have a fatal car accident? Let them destroy their home?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 10:01:46 AM »
Gee, I thought your son was halfway through college now.

Nope.   Remember, he flunked his junior year, so he had to do it over again.  That put college on hold.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 10:08:15 AM »
Keep thinking that-  wrong again.  No flunking of junior year. Well into college.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 10:59:29 AM »
We've gone round and round with this.  He repeated his junior year, as Karen admitted.

I'll keep thinking whatever I want.  You might have been able to strictly control you rkid's every thought and action, but this is the real world, darlin'.  Your bullshit doesn't apply here.

Get a life already.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 11:01:39 AM »
He spent a year in a very structured boarding school with good academics and a strong support system and was admitted to a top prep boarding school in the NE where he is doing a 2nd junior year and will do a senior year.

This, in the real world, is called "flunking," a synonym for "repeating a grade."

What part don't you understand, dipshit?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 11:13:11 AM »
What part don't YOU understand, asswipe.  After being at a TBS for a year (or any other school for that matter) you don't enter top boarding schools as a senior. EVERYONE drops back to do another junior year so the school has time to work with the kid for college admissions, athletics etc.  Sometimes entering sophs don't repeat the year, but a senior ALWAYS enters as a junior at academic boarding schools.  I realize this isn't remotely in your universe of things you comprehend, since you are so removed from the world of elite academics that you are unable to grasp this concept.  Have you heard of a post-grad year?  Many kids do an extra year of high school at a prep school EVEN IF they did well as a senior.  You don't get into these schools in the FIRST place if you have flunked- you have to have top grades and scores to even be admitted.  Do you have a brain injury?  I'm so sorry, if so.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 11:33:07 AM »
oooh, angry.  almost is if you ARE karen and it was YOUR kid who flunked his junior year.  you're awfully invested in karen's personal problems for "not being karen."   :wink:
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline blombro

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/blombro
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 11:39:34 AM »
Out of respect to the lady who actually bothered to come on here with a screen name (for what it's worth) and actually engage in some dialogue, I will treat you with the respect that you deserve.

For starters, and this makes a huge difference in my mind, did you and your son agree on wilderness camp/boarding school, or did he go under some kind of coercive threat.

Second, as for alternate solutions, while this isn't available everywhere at the moment, there is what is called a systems of care model that brings in all of the agencies that work with "at-risk" youth (probation, mental health, social services, education) and gets them communicating with each other.  Where along with input from the youth themselves, services are provided to prevent the youth from having to leave home.  If it's an issue of family dynamics and the adults in the family are at wits end, they can offer respite care, where a social service agency will either take the youth on a weekend trip, or provide "babysitting service" while the family takes a trip of their own.  It has proven extremely effective in preventing youth from having to leave the home.

So to answer your question, yes there are alternatives to placing youth in facilities against their will.  

As for the "make up year", I believe that question has already been answered.  I hope that this response answers some of your questions, and that you may have a more balanced view of wilderness programs/TBS's in the future.

Brian

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 11:40:22 AM »
I tend to get angry at stupidity, especially when things have been rehashed over and over.  I guess that's your brain injury acting up again.   How can I be Karen? I thought I was Fig?  Actually, I am Leslie-  I took my smart pills this morning.  I used to post as The Who, but it got boring trying to be nice.  Nope-my kid was stuck with public school all the way.  And, yes, there was some flunking done by my kid- no apologies from me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 11:53:58 AM »
Brian-  the KareninDallas poster is a fornits regular and is not Karen from the ST site. Some of her old posts are being reposted and some are simply made up
Thank you for attempting to respond courteously, though.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 11:55:40 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I tend to get angry at stupidity, especially when things have been rehashed over and over.  I guess that's your brain injury acting up again.   How can I be Karen? I thought I was Fig?  Actually, I am Leslie-  I took my smart pills this morning.  I used to post as The Who, but it got boring trying to be nice.  Nope-my kid was stuck with public school all the way.  And, yes, there was some flunking done by my kid- no apologies from me.

Look, moron, nobody cares who you are or what you're calling yourself today.  It's just hilarious that you're so wrapped up in Karen's business, but you're "not her."

If you truly are "not her" you've got some problems, that's all.  I mean problems in addition to your constant attention-seeking on this board;that's a whole different deal entirely.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control