Author Topic: STEP - offshoot of life  (Read 7862 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: People in the program
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 10:34:37 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Yeah, I remember Wendy W.
Molly C.
Amanda S.
Michelle D.
Preston M.
Yvette C.
Susan C.
etc.

Dean Peters was on staff when I was in LIFE. I think it was around 85'-87'.

My brother and I were both in LIFE. It's interesting to read all of the posts :)

Shannon M.

I remember you!  You lived on an island, right?  I went into the program right before you.  I am pretty sure that I have a picture of you, Dstre and Kitty at a 6th phase function from early 1989.  

I think Dean Peters was a trainee when I went in back in 1988.

Cristin
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline dbucfan

• View Profile
Re: STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 10:35:57 PM »
Quote from: ""ybor city""
Anybody from STEP out there .This place got started from kids from LIFE. LIFE was much bigger than our program, we visited LIFE a few times I think there was 150 total kids in there- Step only had maybe 20 kids sometimes less - I don;t think STEP was around but 3 or 4 years - not sure why it closed - people used to talk at STEP about ms. pete but I can;t remember any specifics - every once in awhile people from LIFE -higher phasers/ would come visit STEP - thought it was strange cause some of these visitors from LIFE were from south carolina, maybe it was georgia -  and their parents sent them all the way down here to florida.

One of the things I have always been curious of is how decisions were made on phase changes- any staff out there who could provide insight on that or someone who knows -

I was in STEP...Darren here...welcome to board.
ww.perrysjewelry.com

Offline dbucfan

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
Straight is Straight - Life is Straight Lite- Step is LIFE Lite -
Prison is Step Lite

the fundamental "therapy" among these programs are identical - same processes - same steps  - same rules- confrontations - varying degrees of the amount of physical abuse accepted to enforce those rules - or in some cases whether you had to break a rule at all in order to get physically abused. At Straight, from the testimonies i have read --anything went. At LIFE I don't know you guys know better than me i only visited one time, while visiting I remember people getting restrained,gettting slapped in the head for not looking straight ahead or on the girls side I can not attest to other instances AT Step,there was not alot of restraining or physical abuse going on at STEP like I heard/witnessed at LIFE - I can only remember a couple of times where a kid "acted out" enough  a staff member at STEP felt it necessary - I remember one of those times vividly cause it was right around Christmas and this girl went after someone with one of those foot long real thick candy canes -

the old "Lifers" at Step used to talk about the "misbehaviors" - there seemed to be three classification of 1st phasers at LIFE -
1.ones that just sat there,quiet, kept to themselves, didn't participate -
2 ones that were not afraid to cause a little trouble by various means
3. ones that participated who were trying to get to 2nd phase

At step, all the intakes for the most part fell into category 1 or 3 and there was no need to the staff to restrain people for just sitting there, actually during my time, i remember the people who got restrained were never original intakes they were people who had been started over, getting started over sucked, thinking you were on your way and then bam- 1st phase again -

I know for me I just sat there- i felt like tearing up the place - but I was always too chicken - I know when we went to LIFE for a weekend - I remember STEP staff being worried of allowing us 1st phasers to witness the misbeviors at LIFE thinking we would "learn" how to disrupt group- personally, that weekend I always was kind of rooting for them - bolting to the doors, throwing stuff - made group a little more exciting less predictable- I stayed in that place called the "rez" but I can;t remember much about it. THere are two things I will never forget about my visit to LIFE.
1. The site of 150 kids waving their arms all at the same time and the noise of the pews lifting off the floor and back down- that alone would freak anyone out- 15 kids at STEP just didn;t have the same effect
2. There was a big guy - a 1st phaser - he actually had a beard - looked very strong - had to be over 18 - when he walked around no one would belt loop him - anyway - he got called out of group by ms. pete - and as he was walking out the double doors he yells out "FUCK ME with a COURT ORDER BITCH" I thought that was so funny - then I had a 5th phaser come over to me telling me not to laugh, slapping me on the head -

PEACE

That about sums it up.
ww.perrysjewelry.com

Offline dbucfan

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 10:39:59 PM »
Quote from: ""FUBAR""
To the person that is called(guest) what do you mean by Life lite or Straight Lite(Light)? I was in LIFE from the years 84-89 and I don't really understand what your are talking about? So, You are saying that since I came 2 or 3 years after you that it was much easier for me?  You are the same fucker that post alot of stupid questions from another post... man, get a grip.. do, you realise that nobdoy cares about what you are asking... what did you eat...what kind of car did you ride in when you went to a oldcomers home and shit like that ..oh would you like me to mention alot of peoples names? Have you realise that nobody from the start (81-82-) has said shit...or replied to you? are you somewhat crazy about the program?  Life lite (Fuck you)
You don't like the question...don't post...STFU and move on tard!
ww.perrysjewelry.com

Offline dbucfan

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 10:45:37 PM »
Welcome to the noobs.  Please ignore the paranoid ramblings and twenty questions game.

Dean I think it was marketed as a drug rehab but it wasn't at all.  Most of the kids
ww.perrysjewelry.com

Offline dbucfan

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2006, 10:48:57 PM »
Quote from: ""xvipah""
I remember when STEP started out of life, was a big weekend before they left, then they came and visited once or twice before I got outta LIFE.

Good times..  ;)

I was in STEP  I went down to LIFE once or twice - we had some people from LIFE come over a few times- but they were not from Florida - somewhere in NC, SC or something both on 5th phase I believe all the staff at STEP were from LIFE
Bob B
Ken T
Holly ?
Sami B Executive Staff
John ?
Wendy W

All my oldcomers were from LIFE - what is the policy on posting full names of phasers wondering if any of you lifers remember some of these folks

OMG!!! i knew them too!!! :rofl:
J/K PM me who u are.
Darren
ww.perrysjewelry.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 04:31:59 PM »
Sami was my first oldcomer in LIFE...That sure brought up some horrible memories...

Offline dbucfan

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 10:49:27 PM »
Sami was my first oldcomer in LIFE...That sure brought up some horrible memories...
Sam Blanco brings back horrible memories??? Why?
ww.perrysjewelry.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 10:14:56 AM »
Quote from: ""dbucfan""

because, he's a f-ing nut job along with the rest of them. he's the poster-boy for the straight/life program colonization.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 08:08:42 PM »

because, he's a f-ing nut job along with the rest of them. he's the poster-boy for the straight/life program colonization.
Sorry he beat and tortured you...Sam is/was a real cool guy...now a successful attorney. And what did you say YOU contributed to society? :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 08:36:34 PM »
Yes, Cristin I lived on Little Gasparilla Island when I was in the program. Maybe I have my dates wrong I think it was more like 88'-89'. I figured most people would remember me from the island because you could only get to it by boat. Anyway, glad to see all the people on the board. Cristin, I think you were on jr. staff when I was in there.

Shannon M.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 08:56:45 PM »
I think Dstre was like in her late 20's, she was like one of the oldest in the program. She had really long hair and she was very thin. Kitty had black hair and was kinda chubby. I remember I got along well with both of them. I don't have any pictures from the program. I'd love to see the picture. If you can scan it and email it to me at [email protected] I'd love to see it!

I actually ran into Dr. DeClue's son a few weeks ago, he's a pretty nice kid. Although I never really cared for Dr. DeClue much.

Cristin do you remember:
Misty L.
Liz K. (I couldn't stand her)
Christina A.
Bettina (pretty big gal)
Holly from Brandon
Aimee from Tampa
Emily was on staff
Teresa and her sister from Tampa
Jeannie S. her mother ran the residential
There was a girl that lived in Englewood and I can't remember her name I used to get assigned to her house all the time

Molly C. teaches over at Pine View School in Osprey.

I heard that Susan C. committed suicide a few years ago. What a shame I really like her.

How about that lady Susan that would do the "girls raps" sometimes. I think her husbands name was Jeff. Their last name might have been Crandon??

BTW-my brothers name is Sean M. and he got put in the program a year or so before me. Some of you may remember him.

Shannon M

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 06:22:53 PM »

Sorry he beat and tortured you...Sam is/was a real cool guy...now a successful attorney. And what did you say YOU contributed to society? :roll:

Yeah what did YOU contribute to society? YOU should contribute to society, so YOU can become successful like ME and Sam. :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2006, 10:35:40 PM »

Yeah what did YOU contribute to society? YOU should contribute to society, so YOU can become successful like ME and Sam. :roll:

Mmmmkay...i guess we now know who the nut-job really is. :lol:  :rofl:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
STEP - offshoot of life
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 08:18:31 AM »

The horrible memories where of the program itself, not of Sam. Sam did not beat and torture that I rememeber anyhow. I love the way people assume  that everyone must be a failure or dead  except for themselves.
I bet the majority of folks who passed thru that building live a normal life, except for the memories or lack of memories of those years.  
Geez I bet Dbusfan wishes they where as happy as I am, because I am the happiest person in the world. :wink: