Author Topic: Politics and Programs  (Read 1686 times)

Offline teachback

• View Profile
Politics and Programs
« on: September 23, 2006, 06:25:11 PM »
First off, I'd like to state that I dislike both Democrats and Republicans equally and for different reasons. I consider myself a non-partisan; I'll never register as one or the other. Now, I fully acknowledge the ties that exist between the Republican party and say, Straight Inc., yet I wonder have the Democrats always kept their noses as clean as they'd like us to think?

Call me a skeptic, but I doubt it...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Politics and Programs
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 06:37:38 PM »
probably not, although the Dems have generally been cooler regarding drug laws,  Joe Biden was instrumental in changing the sentencing guidlines for LSD back in the 90s.  Dems tend to favor "treatment over incarceration" as much as Reps do, it's really fucked up.  

That being said, the bloody hands in the crimes we are particularly interested in belong primarily Republicans, though I guess Lieberman wants to make sure the Dems get their fair share of the glory, too.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Politics and Programs
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 09:49:22 PM »
No, the only difference between the two in this regard is perception. Republicans don't have a problem with their punitive impulses. "Lock em up and throw away the key!" is just fine with them. The Dems do the same thing, and worse, but they have this emo hangup that creates in them a need to pretend they're being benevolent.

So a kid goes through a gauntlet of pshrinks and counselors and other sanctimonious assoles they encounter everywhere from school to the pediatrician's office, gets tagged w/ as many disorders as possible, partly for funding purposes but mostly just to feed the fucked up egos of the people doing the tagging. When the prescribed drugs, treatments, mind games and such fail to make the kids happily accept their unnatural role as what these child conditioning professionals have decided a kid should be, then they turn martyr. "We've fucked with this kid in every imaginable way; 6 different drugs and so many different combos, counseling, contracts, went on Dr. Phil and everything and still the irredeemable little reprobate won't step in time and be grateful! What else can we do but ship his sorry ass off for a little brainwashing. And who could blame us, anyway?"
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Politics and Programs
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 09:22:58 PM »
You know. I can see that parents would send kids to these places for reasons more personal than political. Given the cost of programmes, I would have thought that there would be more disgruntled parents who have real money and therefore power who can get something done do regulate or close these places.

Surely there is someone with connections who wants to do something?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline teachback

• View Profile
Politics and Programs
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:52:55 PM »
Quote from: ""Pls help""
You know. I can see that parents would send kids to these places for reasons more personal than political. Given the cost of programmes, I would have thought that there would be more disgruntled parents who have real money and therefore power who can get something done do regulate or close these places.

Surely there is someone with connections who wants to do something?

Unless we want to wax philosohical here, we'll say that of course the reasons are more personal than political. The parents want to believe that they did the right thing and weren't "sold a lemon." Shit, half of the fucking kids themselves want to believe this about their own mindfucking. No one likes admitting that they've been had! That being said, Pls help, I must point out that you're off topic. We were discussing the part that the Democrats have played in all of this (we already know about The Republicans & their ties) not whether the parents' reasoning is more personal or political, or if someone who has the money and connections wants to do something about it.

Offline teachback

• View Profile
Politics and Programs
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 10:42:49 PM »
Quote from: ""Bad Trip""
No, the only difference between the two in this regard is perception. Republicans don't have a problem with their punitive impulses. "Lock em up and throw away the key!" is just fine with them. The Dems do the same thing, and worse, but they have this emo hangup that creates in them a need to pretend they're being benevolent.

So a kid goes through a gauntlet of pshrinks and counselors and other sanctimonious assoles they encounter everywhere from school to the pediatrician's office, gets tagged w/ as many disorders as possible, partly for funding purposes but mostly just to feed the fucked up egos of the people doing the tagging. When the prescribed drugs, treatments, mind games and such fail to make the kids happily accept their unnatural role as what these child conditioning professionals have decided a kid should be, then they turn martyr. "We've fucked with this kid in every imaginable way; 6 different drugs and so many different combos, counseling, contracts, went on Dr. Phil and everything and still the irredeemable little reprobate won't step in time and be grateful! What else can we do but ship his sorry ass off for a little brainwashing. And who could blame us, anyway?"

Thank you (sincerely) for illustrating your point so well. In the big picture, (beyond just Straight) the problem of 'troubled teen' abuse goes deeper than just republican/democrat....

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Politics and Programs
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 02:20:14 PM »
Well thanks for the props.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes