Author Topic: CPS Investigation into HLA  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
CPS Investigation into HLA
« on: September 16, 2006, 07:45:18 AM »
Dear Parents,

Before the HLA rumor mill kicks in full force, I wanted you to hear directly from me. Occasionally, we have a disgruntled parent who has withdrawn their child contact The Department of Family and Children Services. The Department is required to investigate. Today,  DEFACS  interviewed several students at HLA. This will undoubtedly be a subject of your student phone calls. The Department of Family and Children Services are not required to tell us about the complaint or who has made the complaint. I do not have further information to share but I did not want you to be overly alarmed by your student phone call.  I just wanted you to know that this had occurred so that you heard it from HLA first.

I hope you all know that providing a safe therapeutic and academic environment is our number one priority.

If you have any questions or concerns please call the school.

Charles W Cates, PhD

Headmaster

Hidden Lake Academy

I guess "rumor mill" is a euphemism for "public awareness."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 08:43:26 AM »
Interesting how HLA is downplaying the seriousness of the investigation by CPS.

Please call Ms. Kit Wallace of Child Protective Services at 706.864.1839 to get the facts for yourself.

She can't discuss specifics of the investigation, but she can give you a general idea of how many complaints she's received. It's far more than an occasionally disgruntled parent as Mr. Cates's letter implies.

Offline kid_thorazine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 09:14:22 AM »
man HLAs damage control machine is running in full force, they must be panicing by now, either that are they are foolishly confident, whihc would make thier fall oh so much sweeter.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: CPS Investigation into HLA
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 12:27:27 PM »
Quote from: ""Dysfunction Junction""
Dear Parents,

Before the HLA rumor mill kicks in full force, I wanted you to hear directly from me. Occasionally, we have a disgruntled parent who has withdrawn their child contact The Department of Family and Children Services. The Department is required to investigate. Today,  DEFACS  interviewed several students at HLA. This will undoubtedly be a subject of your student phone calls. The Department of Family and Children Services are not required to tell us about the complaint or who has made the complaint. I do not have further information to share but I did not want you to be overly alarmed by your student phone call.  I just wanted you to know that this had occurred so that you heard it from HLA first.

I hope you all know that providing a safe therapeutic and academic environment is our number one priority.

Charles W Cates, PhD

Headmaster

Hidden Lake Academy

"therapeutic"    ?  I thought "therapeutic" was just for marketing purposes....Mr. Cates, as Headmaster of HLA, you should be aware that HLA is not a "Therapeutic Boarding School"...nor is it licensed as such... Per your attorneys, "therapeutic" is only used for marketing purposes....HLA is an "Academic Boarding School"....
don't you think you all should be on the same page...?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Re: CPS Investigation into HLA
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 12:32:49 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: ""Dysfunction Junction""
Dear Parents,

Charles W Cates, PhD

Headmaster

Hidden Lake Academy

"therapeutic"    ?  I thought "therapeutic" was just for marketing purposes....Mr. Cates, as Headmaster of HLA, you should be aware that HLA is not a "Therapeutic Boarding School"...nor is it licensed as such... Per your attorneys, "therapeutic" is only used for marketing purposes....HLA is an "Academic Boarding School"....
don't you think you all should be on the same page...?

Good point.  They like to deny, deny, deny, but given time, they always tell on themselves.  Thanks, Chuck!
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 12:50:35 PM »
"disgruntled"......................... "concerned" these words are interchangable at all times.

Another point that I personally found interesting

Today, DEFACS interviewed several students at HLA. This will undoubtedly be a subject of your student phone calls.

Which we will of course monitor. Those nasty nosy Child Protective Service agents wouldnt let us sit in on all the interviews. Rest assured though as is the norm at all 'Traditional Boarding Schools' we listen in on all phone calls, and read all mail. As such please encourage your child to talk about what transpired during the interview that we might learn of it ourselves. Of course we always have our tried and true method of bait and punish, encourage the child to open up to us about what was said, and then immediatly punish him for saying it.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 09:54:12 PM »
One has to go no further than the website to determine that "therapy" is occuring at HLA. Whether their methods are therapeutic is questionable, but that's certainly how it's sold..

Although most of our students struggle with issues of Oppositional Defiant Disorder, we separate and treat all of our students' needs with specialized attention. Hidden Lake Academy offers a strong therapeutic curriculum, coupled with specialized "adjunct" therapeutic services which address other clinical issues such as; addictive, compulsive and self-destructive behaviors.

While supported in a caring, loving environment, students are taught the lessons of healthy living and the importance of academic achievement. During the course of the therapeutic program at HLA, students move through five sequentially planned counseling segments called Elements. Elements are designed to build on each other progressively, and each Element introduces concepts that are crucial to the student's personal development and success.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 10:06:19 PM »
And why is it again that HLA has fought all attempts to be licensed by DHR/ORS?

If HLA is truly interested in the safety and well-being of the children entrusted in their care, then why are they so opposed to being regulated by DHR? Is it because DHR could pay a suprise visit at any time? Interview students without notice? Force HLA to adhere to state regulations?

HLA states their concern is for the children; their actions speak a whole lot louder.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 09:36:08 AM »
That's a very good point, one I look forward to hearing them try and dodge.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 04:10:30 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Interesting how HLA is downplaying the seriousness of the investigation by CPS.

Please call Ms. Kit Wallace of Child Protective Services at 706.864.1839 to get the facts for yourself.

She can't discuss specifics of the investigation, but she can give you a general idea of how many complaints she's received. It's far more than an occasionally disgruntled parent as Mr. Cates's letter implies.

Ms. Wallace doesn't have to verify the investigation; Mr. Cates did that all by himself by sending out that letter.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 09:50:53 AM »
Cates

said no results yet , the letter to parents.

any idea from anyone?