Author Topic: Being discharged from NATSAP's programs makes teens happy  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Being discharged from NATSAP's programs makes teens happy
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:56:39 AM »
The study implies that NATSAP programs are "licensed". How many are licensed?
HLA isn?t.
993 participants, an average of 6 participants per NATSAP program.
This was not an Independent study. One must also consider the author?s connections with the industry.

C Smoot employed by AEG and serveral other RTCs.
Smoot and Behrens co-create Evidence Based Consulting.
Behrens Clinical Director for Youth Care program, Member NATSAP.
Smoots 'partner' with AEGs Youth Care program.
Smoots are 'associates' of Open Sky Wilderness, Member NATSAP.
Behrens creates Canyon Research and Consulting- most of their clients are AEG programs.
Smoot and Behrens pitch EBC to NATSAP.
Dr. Kevin Fenstermacher employed by both EBC and CRC.

Looks more like a concerted effort to shore up the industry?s reputation, and give parents a false sense of security.

Who is Ellen Behrens, lead researcher at Canyon Research & Consulting, Salt Lake City, Utah?

Sept 2005- AEG?s Youth Care in Draper, Utah ?partners? with Evidence Based Consulting (EBC), a group of psychologists. (Only 2 listed- Tracine and Carl Smoot)- committed to fulfilling the National Institute of Mental Health's agenda for the application of evidence-based research in testing, assessment and treatment.
This is how the innovative partnership works: EBC provides testing services for Youth Care students by using up-to-date psychological tests, interpretive strategies, and treatment recommendations that are suggested in the research literature. In collaboration with Youth Care therapists, a strategic treatment plan is developed, utilizing research-based practices and measurements. The additional perspective of EBC psychologists provides the best possible assessments and treatment for Youth Care students.
http://www.strugglingteens.com/artman/p ... 5186.shtml

More on Evidence Based Consulting
http://www.evidencebasedconsulting.com/

Behrens, Clinical Dir of Youth Care
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?p=218094#218094

Smoot?s are ?Associates? of Open Sky Wilderness
Prior to completing his graduate work, Carl was employed in hospital management. He successfully ran two inpatient psychiatry programs and was later a therapist at (AEGs) Youth Care, Inc.
http://www.openskywilderness.com/assoc.htm

Oct 2005- AEG hosts workshop in Utah. One of the guest speakers:
Ellen Behrens, PhD discussed out of home treatment outcome research. She is the co-founder of Evidence Based Consulting. Behrens was the principal investigator for a large, multi-center study on student outcomes in residential treatment.
http://www.strugglingteens.com/artman/p ... 5204.shtml

June ?05 Ellen Behrens and Tracine Smoot pitch ?Evidence-based Practice? to NATSAP members.
http://www.natsap.org/Newsletters/NATSA ... letter.pdf

Dr. Kevin Fenstermacher works for both ?Evidence Based Consulting? (Smoots) and ?Canyon Research and Consulting? (Behrens).
http://canyonrc.com/experience.html
http://psychologicalsolutions.info/exec ... 0team.html

Who are CRCs clients? And, who funded this study?
http://canyonrc.com/experience.html
A whole slew of AEG programs.

Under Links at CRCs website one is taken to the APAs Empirically Supported Treatments page. http://www.apa.org/divisions/div12/rev_est/index.html
Their recommendations, under Oppositional Disorders:
Because the immediate goal of treatment is to develop parenting skills, the therapist begins by having parents apply new skills to relatively simple problems (e.g., compliance, completion of chores, oppositional behavior). As parents become proficient using the initial techniques, the child's most serious problem behaviors at home and in school are addressed (e.g., fighting, poor school performance, truancy, stealing, firesetting). In most PMT (PARENT Management Training) programs, the therapist maintains close telephone contact with the parents in-between sessions. These contacts are used to encourage parents to ask questions about the home programs, to provide an opportunity for the therapist to prompt compliance with the behavior-change programs and reinforce parents' use of the skills, to strengthen the therapeutic alliance, and to allow the therapist to problem-solve when programs are not modifying child behavior effectively.

II. Summary of Studies Supporting Treatment Efficacy
PMT is one of the most extensively studied therapies for children and has been shown to be effective in decreasing oppositional, aggressive, and antisocial behavior (for reviews of research, see Dumas, 1989; Forehand & Long, 1988; Kazdin, 1985; Miller & Prinz, 1990; Moreland, Schwebel, Beck, & Wells, 1982). Randomized controlled trials have found that PMT is more effective in changing antisocial behavior and promoting prosocial behavior than many other treatments (e.g. relationship, play therapy, family therapies, varied community services) and control conditions (e.g. waiting-list, "attention-placebo"). Follow-up data have shown that gains are maintained from posttreatment to 1 and 3 years after treatment has ended. One research team found that noncompliant children treated by parent training were functioning as well as nonclinic individuals approximately 14 years later (Long, Forehand, Wierson, & Morgan, 1994). The benefits of PMT often generalize to areas that are not focused on directly during therapy. For example, improvements in parental adjustment and functioning, marital satisfaction, and sibling behavior have been found following therapy. Overall, perhaps no other technique has been as carefully documented and empirically supported as PMT in treating conduct problems.
A unique feature of PMT is the abundance of research on child, parent, and family factors that moderate treatment effects. Moreover, PMT, either alone or in combination with other techniques, has been applied with promising effects to other populations including autistic children, mentally retarded children and adolescents, adjudicated delinquents, and parents who physically abuse their children. The principles and procedures on which PMT relies have also been applied in many settings including schools, institutions, community homes, day-care facilities, and facilities for the elderly.
http://www.apa.org/divisions/div12/rev_ ... child.html

One must also consider the report presented August 12 at the American Psychological Association Convention by Allison Pinto PhD.

http://apinto.blog.usf.edu/2006/08/21/e ... -treatment
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:04:38 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 12:00:12 PM »
Results showed that teens attending licensed private residential treatment programs experienced significant improvements in all psychological and behavioral problemsstudied.

This is really an excellent point, since so many of the RTC's and TBS' arent licensed as such (HLA included) I guess they really cant lay claim to the results of the biased and slanted study.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 01:53:42 PM »
There are LIES, DAMN LIES and STATISTICS.

This "study" is FULL OF SHIT and is 100% completely scientifically INVALID.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:37:19 PM »
Only 9 programs were studied- as follows:

Youth Care, Inc., Academy at Swift River, Sun Hawk Academy, Aspen Ranch, Pine Ridge Academy, Copper Canyon Academy, Turnabout Ranch, Stone Mountain School, and Mount Bachelor Academy.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:49:49 PM »
www.strugglingteens.com/news/APAReport81206.pdf

Obviously this study only marks improved behavior/self assesment of self in an environment which coerces change.  It's kind of funny that this is even being mentioned as legitimite data since it's like asking kids over at the Judge Rotenberg Center, who have been shocked into submission, to report on their state- knowing that if they are feeling feeling x, say agressive, knowing that this is a 'bad' thing, that it could get them sent back, that it's not allowed... well, it's easier to deny than to admit and then try to pretend or try and deal with the conflict of what's acceptable vs not.    

Another possibility is that there is no sense of being in touch with the self, but rather only what the program has told you you should feel, think, do, etc.  It's no suprise that we've all heard of fellow alumni return to old stuff, or become more self-destructive w/in 6 months to a year...

It also takes time for the shock to dissipate, for the fear to subside, for the trauma to sink in and for honest, awareness and present assesment to take place. I have NO doubt a good percentage of youth will entirely contradict this study's preliminary results in the follow up.  

I (and I'm 100% positive I'm not the only one) would have easily- given the naturalization of the program mantra- reported improvements in just about every area of my life after leaving the facility I attended, for a number of reasons. This would have been/and was so ( I told everyone how wonderful the program was for a while after I left):  Fear of getting sent back, fear of disappointing my family,  fear of diminishing my own value by diminishing the program's value (ie, my 'accomplishments' there- after all, spending a year perfecting the art of something, even if it's regurgitation, is awfully painful to admit in the end it was of no real help),  and I think the biggest fear of all would be having to admit helplessness.  If the program didn't have the answers then I was back at square one, or square negative one... That was the worst thing possible.... I would then have no answers. Yes, denial was the  only choice for me for some time...

Much like the respondents, who didn't gain some insight- if we all really think about it...there is some value in the trauma of seperation, the fear of not living with your family for years, the shock of being completely and utterly alone- some self refelction and even insight into family life can only be expected, but that alone is not a program and in that trauma, abandonment, of seperation, etc - do the end jutify the means?  

I find that this study to be irresponsible- well, at least NATSAP's response is premature and irresponsible.  Dr. Brehan just seems naive.  The study itself, for whatever reason, does not examine the nuances of individual programs - how can we examine a program w/o identifying and looking into the practices they call 'therapeutic'?  
Um... perhaps the results would be more acurate?
The difference b/w a facility that does not force peers to act like staff vs one that does, or variations in a facility that does not impose/ insist constant, daily confrontation with the intensity that many of us find dehuminizing and humiliating vs methods used at regulated RTC's?
Or what about the rock picking for days vs facilities that don't turn youth into chain gangs who don't have that?  

Not to mention, how many kids have said they've noted improvements (time spent at facilitiy irrelevant),  yet still report symptoms of PTSD?  I suppose that upon discharge this is too soon to asses, but I wonder if that will be a quesiton posed in the follow up interview?

In anycase, to ignore the role of coercion and how easily one can become complicit in their dis-empowerment or mistreatment is absolutely obscene (niave on the dr's part), yet this - like so many other deminsions, are mute points.

For NATSAP to completely jump the gun and insist private residential tx is evidence-based is silly, there's not enough information provided.  To ignore completly what we've all reported, however,  is incredibly irresponsible & I am absolutely appalled and sickened.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:18:24 PM »
Quote from: ""katfish""
Only 9 programs were studied- as follows:

Youth Care, Inc., Academy at Swift River, Sun Hawk Academy, Aspen Ranch, Pine Ridge Academy, Copper Canyon Academy, Turnabout Ranch, Stone Mountain School, and Mount Bachelor Academy.

No kidding? That would be 110 people from each of the 9 programs filled out questionaires? Why only 9 when they had 165 programs to pull from?

Are all of these programs licensed at RTC/TBSs by the regulatory agency in their state? The "study" sure seems to indicate that all NATSAP programs are licensed, and one could easily assume that they all participated in the "study". Quiet deceptive, and par for the course.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 09:25:20 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
? Quiet deceptive,

Yes, shocking, huh?  ;-)

Quote from: ""Deborah""
Are all of these programs licensed at RTC/TBSs by the regulatory agency in their state?

Youth Care, Inc., - Utah DHS, & Utah office of licensing, JCAHO

Academy at Swift River- Licensed as a Private School through
Mowhawk Trails Regional School System.

Sun Hawk Academy - Utah DHS, & Utah office of licensing

Aspen Ranch, -  Utah DHS, & Utah office of licensing and California non-public school accredidation (not sure what that is)

Pine Ridge Academy - Utah's DHS, Joint Commission of Accreditation for Health Care Organizations

Copper Canyon Academy- AZ Dept. of Helath Services, Office of Behavioral Health Licensince

Turnabout Ranch-Utah DHS, & Utah office of licensing

Stone Mountain School- State of NC (not sure what that means- no dept specificed so I assume that invovles only educational component?), Special Ed certification

Mount Bachelor Academy- Oregon Dept of Human Services, Child Caring Agnecy, Oregon Dept of Ed

Also, let us not forget:

Study funded by ASPEN Education Group
Margaret Mead

Offline katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:41:39 PM »
As far as why only those 9...  no idea, but it's interesting that they didn't pick a facility from MT.

That said, I don't care what this says, I have personally communicated with kids from:

MBA
ASR
SunHawk
Copper Canyon
Aspen Ranch
Youth Care- (I'm pretty sure- but have to check)

And it's clear that some youth are being traumatized, yet they also say that it helped in some ways... but more harm than good...

The limited number of faciliites doesn't suprise me tho, but I'm curious how they selected these- least number of dissenters posting online perhaps?

I'm just surprised it's so.. watered down of a 'study'.   I suppose that this isn't really the purpose - identifying methods used...yet one would think that in an outcome study data on the input would also have been collected.  How can you asses the output w/o the input?  Seriously?  Don't humans have more depth than that??

To me it's kind of like looking at N. Korea and asking the folks there if they support their gov't or, rather, if they're happy (within the context of studying the gov't- and it's output/outcome).... simple as that- No fool would be honest.  I'm probably stating the obvious here... i think.
Margaret Mead

Offline katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 09:53:26 PM »
yes, spoken with aumni from youth care- that was right.
Margaret Mead

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 10:03:51 PM »
Thanks Kat for sharing your persepective, from a participant's point of view. As an "advarsarial" parent I felt like I was in the program too. I could only imagine how my child felt, living it day-to-day.

I feel this deserves repeating:

I (and I'm 100% positive I'm not the only one) would have easily- given the naturalization of the program mantra- reported improvements in just about every area of my life after leaving the facility I attended, for a number of reasons. This would have been/and was so ( I told everyone how wonderful the program was for a while after I left): Fear of getting sent back, fear of disappointing my family, fear of diminishing my own value by diminishing the program's value (ie, my 'accomplishments' there- after all, spending a year perfecting the art of something, even if it's regurgitation, is awfully painful to admit in the end it was of no real help), and I think the biggest fear of all would be having to admit helplessness. If the program didn't have the answers then I was back at square one, or square negative one... That was the worst thing possible.... I would then have no answers. Yes, denial was the only choice for me for some time...

Much like the respondents, who didn't gain some insight- if we all really think about it...there is some value in the trauma of seperation, the fear of not living with your family for years, the shock of being completely and utterly alone- some self refelction and even insight into family life can only be expected, but that alone is not a program and in that trauma, abandonment, of seperation, etc - do the end jutify the means?

~~ How can one begin to deal with past traumas, when their 'treatment' in the present is traumatic; and to compound things, they're being conditioned to believe that traumatic treatment is normal? Programs are flawed by design. I'm sorry there's not more genuinely effect help readily available for families.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 12:16:01 AM »
Agreed..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Success rates on web site
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 09:31:28 PM »
On a similar note, my educational consultant is really touting Island View RTC, another NATSAP facility, and their success rate.  According to their web site, they boast that up to 84% of former residents maintain improved behavior over a long time.  

What should I make of this?  Any thoughts?

From the Island View web site:

How successful is Island View in making lasting changes with adolescents?
From the inception of Island View, we have conducted follow-up studies. On a regular basis, we call parents of former residents and ask them a number of questions. Most of the questions are aimed at collecting feedback about the well-being of the former resident. Consistently, between 81 and 84% of all polled parents report that their child has ?substantially improved? or ?significantly improved.? What is equally encouraging about these results is that repeated callbacks (every 6 months) reveal a maintenance of changed behavior over time. That is to say, that a child who has improved, typically maintains the improved status and does not deteriorate. Conversely, we have found that the residual 15% of residents who make little of no improvement, deteriorate immediately following discharge.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Success rates on web site
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 10:00:06 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest 007""
On a similar note, my educational consultant is really touting Island View RTC, another NATSAP facility, and their success rate.  According to their web site, they boast that up to 84% of former residents maintain improved behavior over a long time.  

What should I make of this?  Any thoughts?

From the Island View web site:

How successful is Island View in making lasting changes with adolescents?
From the inception of Island View, we have conducted follow-up studies. On a regular basis, we call parents of former residents and ask them a number of questions. Most of the questions are aimed at collecting feedback about the well-being of the former resident. Consistently, between 81 and 84% of all polled parents report that their child has ?substantially improved? or ?significantly improved.? What is equally encouraging about these results is that repeated callbacks (every 6 months) reveal a maintenance of changed behavior over time. That is to say, that a child who has improved, typically maintains the improved status and does not deteriorate. Conversely, we have found that the residual 15% of residents who make little of no improvement, deteriorate immediately following discharge.

http://www.islandview-rtc.com/

Ask them about the percentage of students who actually graduate their program. 50% - 60% of the kids in my child's group dropped out. That's not a good success rate by any means.

Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)
Utah Department of Human Services, Department of Licensure
Utah State Board of Education
California Department of Education as a Non-Public School
Northwest Association of Accredited Schools
National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs

The NATSAP accreditation is bogus - so many of us have written and called about HLA and they said they've never received any complaints. Plus NATSAP is run by the very people who own these facilities.

Call, write, email the other agencies and ask them about the number of complaints, injuries, deaths, etc.. Check with the state of Utah and make sure the staff and teachers are properly licensed in the state of Utah. You can contact their Secretary of State's Office, Department of Health and Human Services, Childcare agencies, etc... from Utah.

Ask your Ed Con to disclose what, if any, types of gifts, trips, compensation, etc. he/she has received from the school. Ask for references for the Ed Con. See if the Ed Con has any complaints filed against him/her.

Best advice: Do your own investigating and remember that the bottom line is these places are businesses and they are there to make money.