Author Topic: Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism
« on: September 06, 2006, 11:18:14 AM »
Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. In an impressive piece of lucid journalism, Salon.com reporter Goldberg dives into the religious right and sorts out the history and networks of what to most liberals is an inscrutable parallel universe. She deconstructs "dominion theology," the prevalent evangelical assertion that Christians have a "responsibility to take over every aspect of society." Goldberg makes no attempt to hide her own partisanship, calling herself a "secular Jew and ardent urbanite" who wrote the book because she "was terrified by America's increasing hostility to... cosmopolitan values." This carefully researched and riveting treatise will hardly allay its audience's fears, however; secular liberals and mainstream believers alike will find Goldberg's descriptions of today's culture wars deeply disturbing. She traces the deep financial and ideological ties between fundamentalist Christians and the Republican Party, and discloses the dangers she believes are inherent to the Bush administration's faith-based social services initiative. Other chapters follow inflammatory political tactics on wedge issues like gay rights, evolution and sex education. Significantly, her conclusions do not come off as hysterical or shrill. Even while pointing to stark parallels between fascism and the language of the religious right, Goldberg's vision of America's future is measured and realistic. Her book is a potent wakeup call to pluralists in the coming showdown with Christian nationalists. (May 15)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Feed the Fornits, Buy one from Amazon
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 08:38:19 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 12:24:39 PM by Guest »
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 10:09:51 AM »
Yeah Gods Politics was good. i already wrote on it. Has this book been released internationally eudora?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 11:40:25 AM »
Looks like it. Here's that revies.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
christian nationalism
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 09:53:38 AM »
i too am disturbed by the current trends.. i firmly believe that we are living in the last days of empire.. i reject the notion that 'republicans' or george bush or fundalmentalists are the enemy.. i think that's foolish 'straw man' politics.. personally, i am a conservative, a christian(though not a very good one) and i am far more concerned about the 'liberal puritan' line of thought.. that line of thought that insists, patiently, that others know best how i might live, and think and feel.. pls consider( i will take the liberty, as this is a radical forum0
please consider.. fifty years of civil rights in the us, and blacks are worse off than they were.. now 1 in three face incarceration, for men,,
the net worth of blacks is way down, inheritance almost obliterated, a leading cause of death is murder.. this is progress ? i don't come to these opinions all by myself, folks.. i have a buddy, whom i shall call false prophet, and he and i have had many discussions along these lines. why should a generation, or two, of ANY
race be dis-enfranchised/ how does that accord with american ideal and intent/
please consider almost fifty years of feminist rhetoric and legislation .. what has been accomplished? women face more violence, have lost ground economically, are, in all ways less free than they were.. and that's worldwide.. as an example( a cheap shot really)
afghanistan ..the taliban..under shari'a women as a class were brutalized.. no american and few european men could stand to see their women treated so.. just ain't right.. half a population reduced to slavery.. question? where were the american and european feminists? why did they not protest? if human life is sacrosanct, why do the feminists keep silent about that? what, exactly is the agenda?