Author Topic: Search function  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Search function
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:14:04 AM »
I don't think there's a need to reiterate the problems with it.. I'd just like to know if maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel..?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline TechJockey

• View Profile
Re: Search function
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 12:58:05 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I don't think there's a need to reiterate the problems with it.. I'd just like to know if maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel..?

Yes, and it's an oncoming train. :-)

The lack of phrase searching is an inherent design limitation and that won't be available without writing a lot of code. If you select "Display results as: Topics", the pagination is all messed up, and there will be quite a few blank pages toward the end of the search results. "Display results as: Posts" doesn't seem to have this problem. Lots of words that occur frequently in the posts were eliminated from the internal word lists in the upgrade, and that was just part of the way the upgrade script worked, so if you search for some of the more common words that appear in the older posts, they won't show up in the results.

These are the issues I'm aware of right off hand. The only one I know of that's readily fixable, is the pagination. And that's way down the list. We've been awful busy with other issues on the new server, and all the other web sites hosted on it, and it will be quite some time before we're able to really concentrate more on the board itself.

I know this doesn't help much, but posting the issues here does give us a list to work from when we are finally able to get around to fixing more of these things.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »