Author Topic: Bob Dylan says modern music is worthless  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bob Dylan says modern music is worthless
« on: August 22, 2006, 03:52:51 PM »
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Bob Dylan says modern recordings sound "atrocious," and even the songs on his new album sounded much better in the studio than on disc.

"I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past twenty years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

Dylan, who released eight studio albums in that time, returns with his first recording in five years, "Modern Times," next Tuesday.

Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway."

"You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them," he added. "There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static."

Dylan said he does his best to fight technology, but it's a losing battle.

"Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 05:01:45 PM »
I agree that CDs suck.  Vinyl has a way richer and deeper sound.  Records are also more durable and the record covers themselves, especially the double albums that open up like a book, are way cooler than CD covers.  Vinyl rules.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 06:10:00 AM »
You be oh so right, Pirate.  Vinyl sounds way better, it's warmer, a more organic feel to the sound.  CDs killed album cover art, too, so they suck for that reason alone.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 06:11:00 AM »
That was me.  Must be the TBPITW or something, I keep forgetting to log in.

rtp2k3

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 12:21:35 PM »
Quote from: ""starry-eyed pirate""
I agree that CDs suck.  Vinyl has a way richer and deeper sound.  Records are also more durable and the record covers themselves, especially the double albums that open up like a book, are way cooler than CD covers.  Vinyl rules.

Absolutely! Analog is a superior medium. Analog recording is a linear representation of a linear waveform, and therefore more accurate. The shape of the waveforms appear "warmer", "smoother" more "three dimensional". There's a lower distortion rate for low signal levels.. Also it's not not subject to jitter as is the case with optical media. On the downside, analog is subject to electrical and mechanical hiss and noise. This of course can be filtered out via software for the anally-retentive.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 09:05:37 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
That was me.  Must be the TBPITW or something, I keep forgetting to log in.

rtp2k3

What ?? ...You smokin' all that early "Freakshow" or what man?? 'cause the Lord knows you sho been burnin' it down hard lately.  More power to ya!!!
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.