Author Topic: "Intervention" Program  (Read 17598 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"Intervention" Program
« on: August 08, 2006, 12:53:25 AM »
Is anyone aware of this program at HLA?  It is not in the Handbook..We were not told of any such program other than Ridge Creek...Apparently it is where the children are sent to a separate wilderness program run by Ridge Creek where the children are required to carry 30 lb. sand bags all day on their back..?  Where did this come from????? Two water bottles all day, two rationed meals and dirt sleeping with no blankets???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"Intervention" Program
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:34:40 AM »
This program started right as I was graduating. It started (if my memory serves me) with a couple girls who got coke in. They sent them on a 7-day intervention. It was more (MUCH more) intense than Ridge Creek, but shorter. From what I heard it was pretty nasty, and very hellish. I went to RCI, and it really wasn't that bad. It was crap, and didn't do anything for me, but wasnt the harderst wilderness program I went to. But the interventions sounded terrible.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
"Intervention" Program
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:02:04 PM »
I know about Restrictions and have read about Challenge.
http://wwf.avigation.net/viewtopic.php? ... cks#200980
http://wwf.avigation.net/viewtopic.php? ... cks#198442

How is Intervention different?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"Intervention" Program
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 01:03:52 PM »
An intervention usually comes at the order of Len Buccellato (sometimes from the head of the counseling dept).  It is typically reserved for a kids that do something outrageous such as bringing a heavy drug onto campus, or seriously beating up another kid.  It is meant soley to make a kid miserable enough to not do what ever they did again.

It rarely makes lasting changes to the kid, but the real purpose is to send a message to the rest of campus that that kind of behavior will lead to seriously miserable consequences.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
"Intervention" Program
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:53:47 PM »
It was stated above that

"children are required to carry 30 lb. sand bags all day on their back..? Where did this come from????? Two water bottles all day, two rationed meals and dirt sleeping with no blankets???"

Can you comment on that?
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline hmmmmmm

• View Profile
intervention
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 02:20:28 PM »
They do not sleep on the dirt.  They are given "ridge rests" which are pads used to seperate the person from the ground.  They do alot of hiking during that time, but they are fed and are given plenty ofwater.  The majority of the rough part about intervention is the amount of exercise they get during the 7 days or whatever length of time it is.  I am unsure of the sandbag portion, but I do know that they have to carry packs...much like at Ridge Creek.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
"Intervention" Program
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 02:20:55 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
An intervention usually comes at the order of Len Buccellato (sometimes from the head of the counseling dept).  It is typically reserved for a kids that do something outrageous such as bringing a heavy drug onto campus, or seriously beating up another kid.  It is meant soley to make a kid miserable enough to not do what ever they did again.

It rarely makes lasting changes to the kid, but the real purpose is to send a message to the rest of campus that that kind of behavior will lead to seriously miserable consequences.

How often are there serious physicals there (kids getting beaten up)?

How often are kids caught with drugs/alcohol?

Have you witnessed other types of incidents such as sexual assaults or staff having sexual relations with kids?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
"Intervention" Program
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 04:30:36 PM »
This was posted in the Mission Mountain Forum:

"Another aspect of behavior modification used by Mission Mountain School, called an ?intervention?, is a period of intense physical work, reduced sleep, stricter rules and more intense group therapy. It is used for breaking into an ?underground?, the secrets the girls would keep from the group in order to be sneaky or plan a run. During an intervention we would have very strict inspections of our work, work all day in the hot sun, and if someone was resistant, or we didn?t pass inspection, we would start the day over again. This was used to ?break? down our defenses so that we would share what was going on with us. When an intervention lasts long enough, one gets physically, mentally and emotionally worn out until there isn?t enough energy left to hide ?what?s really going on?. The longest intervention I was on at the school was 22 days."
http://wwf.avigation.net/viewtopic.php?t=16759

How does HLAs Intervention compare? Is "working in the hot sun" all day really necessary to get to "what's really going on"?

That hasn't been my experience. Comments? I don't recall ever reading anything that resembled this in any of my counseling courses. Might someone be inclined to make something up to get off Intervention?

Offline juniper2

• View Profile
"Intervention" Program
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 12:01:48 AM »
According to one family, 2 water bottles, 2 pre-packaged meals..the children slept on dirt, and did not have blankets... Apparently there are letters and phone calls to the school regarding what transpired....they stand by their claim....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Interventions
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 09:46:29 AM »
According to another mother,  her son and another boy were forced to carry a very heavy metal pipe on their shoulders through the
woods in near freezing temperatures wearing only a tee-shirt and jeans.  The weather was  wet so their clothing got saturated as
did their sleeping bags.  They had no shelter so they slept in the
frigid weather out in the open.  They were given minimal food.  This intervention
lasted 5 days and by the end of it this one boy had lost approximately 15 pounds and was seriously ill with a high fever.
If this is not child abuse and endangerment I don't know what is.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"Intervention" Program
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 11:07:50 AM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
This was posted in the Mission Mountain Forum:

"Another aspect of behavior modification used by Mission Mountain School, called an ?intervention?, is a period of intense physical work, reduced sleep, stricter rules and more intense group therapy. It is used for breaking into an ?underground?, the secrets the girls would keep from the group in order to be sneaky or plan a run. During an intervention we would have very strict inspections of our work, work all day in the hot sun, and if someone was resistant, or we didn?t pass inspection, we would start the day over again. This was used to ?break? down our defenses so that we would share what was going on with us. When an intervention lasts long enough, one gets physically, mentally and emotionally worn out until there isn?t enough energy left to hide ?what?s really going on?. The longest intervention I was on at the school was 22 days."
http://wwf.avigation.net/viewtopic.php?t=16759

How does HLAs Intervention compare? Is "working in the hot sun" all day really necessary to get to "what's really going on"?

That hasn't been my experience. Comments? I don't recall ever reading anything that resembled this in any of my counseling courses. Might someone be inclined to make something up to get off Intervention?

An interevention is simply meant to be a punishment.  No insight is really expected.  It is simply suppose to be miserable enough for them, so that the never want to do something like they did again.  It is kind of like a "Code Red" that you saw in the movie "A Few Good Men".  There is nothing written about it in HLA's literature, but it does happen.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
iNTERVENTION
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 11:22:46 AM »
According to parents, no forms are filled out, as with Ridge Creek.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
"Intervention" Program
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 11:27:49 AM »
If they pulled this hit on my kid without my advice or consent, I would fucking freak out on those bastards.  I'd be on the road, locked and loaded, looking for some face time with the director.

I just cannot understand, for the life of me, why on earth do HLA parents allow this type of nonsense to be inflicted upon their children without raising hell and holding these idiots and quacks to account for their actions.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline hmmmmmm

• View Profile
intervention
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 11:38:33 AM »
From when I worked there, they did do conference calls with the parents and counselors.  I am not sure the extent of what they told them about the "intervention", but I do know they had the calls and received consent.  (At least verbal.....and to what degree they divulged about the program, I am not sure)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"Intervention" Program
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 11:40:08 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
If they pulled this hit on my kid without my advice or consent, I would fucking freak out on those bastards.  I'd be on the road, locked and loaded, looking for some face time with the director.

I just cannot understand, for the life of me, why on earth do HLA parents allow this type of nonsense to be inflicted upon their children without raising hell and holding these idiots and quacks to account for their actions.

It gets even better...

HLA does get your consent before doing anything like this.  But here's the kicker...If you don't give your consent, you will be told that you need to pick up your child and find another placement.  The rationale is:  "if you are not going to follow our reccomendations for what is best for your child, then we cannot help you and you need to find a place better suited for your needs"