Author Topic: Ask the Graduates  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Ask the Graduates
« on: July 22, 2006, 02:02:56 AM »
HLA has about 150 kids and 115 staffers.  That's a lot of people going through this school.  If abuse is common at HLA, why wouldn't there be lots of accounts of this, on this site, the newspapers, and elsewhere?

Kids are forever on the web nowadays --        , etc.  There should be lots of testimony of abuse at HLA if such is the case.  

I looked into HLA for my kid, and talked to the parent of an alumni.  He said this site blew everything out of proportion.  He said his child is home now, and never saw or heard of abuse during his stay there of nearly 2 years.  Now what possible motivation would this child have to lie and not tell his dad about abuse?

It seems way more likely that those who claim routine abuse at HLA are just      ies with an axe to grind.

I had a son at a different boarding school.  Believe me, he would have been glad to list abuses.  Kids would love to do so.  So if you've any real doubts, the reasonable thing is to contact an alum and ask.

The conspiracy theorists at this sight might plausibly explain that kids while there are afraid to speak up because the staff might retaliate.  But 1) parents visit the place 5 times a year or so.  Any parent can see fear in their kid's eyes if abuse were happening, and 2) again, ask people that have exited the program.  

The parent I spoke to said it was not perfect.  He said the staff could have handled this or that situation differently.  But abuse, no.    With 115 staff and 150 kids over multiple years, you can bet mistakes have been made.  I wonder what it would be like if someone had been tracking mistakes at the department in which I work (aerospace) for the last 10 years.  LOTS of shortcomings.  People not treating people or situations right,  Just because this organization works with kids, can a perfect track record be expected?  That is other-worldly thinking.

It seems like a kid who is in a destruct cycle at home could really benefit at HLA.  Lots of sports teams, skilled counselors who care, and a sober lifestyle.  Very few boarding offer that -- I have looked.

Believing the massive coverup theory at HLA is like believing that the lunar landing was a hoax.  Too many independent people involved to cover up the truth
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Ask the Graduates
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 07:28:16 AM »
:wstupid:  ::troll::

so i guess you haven't actually DONE any research other than what a single hla parent told you.  good job.

now go back through these threads and read accounts from kids and staff alike including emails detailing sexual assault, attempted suicides, batteries, etc.  what better proof can there be than hla's own INTERNAL EMAILS?

you obviously know nothing about the subject.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Ask the Graduates
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 10:42:29 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

so i guess you haven't actually DONE any research other than what a single hla parent told you.  good job.

now go back through these threads and read accounts from kids and staff alike including emails detailing sexual assault, attempted suicides, batteries, etc.  what better proof can there be than hla's own INTERNAL EMAILS?

Agreed.  As always, the trolls who defend HLA base their arguments on 2nd hand accounts of success stories, that they've alledgedley heard from former "alumni" (In reality HLA is run more like a prison , so really former "inmates" would be a far more appropriate term to describe these poor kids).  
Again, I must point out that this TROLL WAS NEVER AT HLA; therefore, they have absolutely NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OR FIRST HAND INFORMATION about the place.

I am an HLA alumni.  I graduated in 2002.  I saw all kinds of abuse during my time at HLA everything from verbal, emotional, and yes, even physical abuse!  I do not feel that HLA helped me at all, in fact, I left HLA even more fucked up than I was before I got there.  The counselors at HLA not skilled, they are not qualified, they do not possess the necessary wisdom or patience required to effectively help the kids placed in their care.  The alledged sports programs are a joke.  The academics at HLA are an even bigger joke.  I was 17 when I graduated HLA, I should have had only 1 more year of highschool to go.  Instead I spent another 2 years highschool, because many of the credits I got at HLA wouldn't transfer.  Not only that, but HLA's academics were way behind those of any normal school, so I spent my first year back in normal highshool taking remedial courses just so I could catch up.  I also had to see a tutor 3 afternoons a week.

You know for all of the money that my parents spent there (well over $100,000), The least HLA could have done was give me a decent  education.  Instead HLA felt it was more important to have me sit in raps and to tell me how worthless I am without them!  Oh and let's not forget all of the sleep deprived emotional work shops they forced me to go through, where they gave me all of these "tools", which coincidently are completely fucking useless to me out here in the real world!  But I guess reality really isn't important to the trolls, is it?  No, they seem far more interested in regurgitating all of the self-grandizing, pro-program bullshit that they "heard about", probably so they can help HLA can con more parents, and swindle them out of their hard earned money!

The troll says parents should listen to HLA alumnis, well I AM AN HLA ALUMNI, and here is what I have to say:  Parents, if you truly want to help your kids (and not just dump them off somewhere so you don't have to deal with), then please, KEEP YOUR KIDS THE HELL AWAY FROM HLA!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Ask the Graduates
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 10:53:07 AM »
The troll says that parents should "ask the graduates" about HLA.
However speaking from personal experience (I was actually a student at HLA, unlike "No Conspiracy"), I know for a fact that only
1 out every 4 kids who get sent to HLA, actually make it to graduation.  In other words, they only have a 25% success rate!
That doesn't sound too promising to me, and I don't thing it would to most parents either.  It's no wonder why HLA conveniently leaves this fact out of their marketing brochures!

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Ask the Graduates
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 11:41:35 AM »

Agreed.  As always, the trolls who defend HLA base their arguments on 2nd hand accounts of success stories, that they've alledgedley heard from former "alumni" (In reality HLA is run more like a prison , so really former "inmates" would be a far more appropriate term to describe these poor kids).  
Again, I must point out that this TROLL WAS NEVER AT HLA; therefore, they have absolutely NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OR FIRST HAND INFORMATION about the place.

I am an HLA alumni.  I graduated in 2002.  I saw all kinds of abuse during my time at HLA everything from verbal, emotional, and yes, even physical abuse!  I do not feel that HLA helped me at all, in fact, I left HLA even more fucked up than I was before I got there.  The counselors at HLA not skilled, they are not qualified, they do not possess the necessary wisdom or patience required to effectively help the kids placed in their care.  The alledged sports programs are a joke.  The academics at HLA are an even bigger joke.  I was 17 when I graduated HLA, I should have had only 1 more year of highschool to go.  Instead I spent another 2 years highschool, because many of the credits I got at HLA wouldn't transfer.  Not only that, but HLA's academics were way behind those of any normal school, so I spent my first year back in normal highshool taking remedial courses just so I could catch up.  I also had to see a tutor 3 afternoons a week.

You know for all of the money that my parents spent there (well over $100,000), The least HLA could have done was give me a decent  education.  Instead HLA felt it was more important to have me sit in raps and to tell me how worthless I am without them!  Oh and let's not forget all of the sleep deprived emotional work shops they forced me to go through, where they gave me all of these "tools", which coincidently are completely fucking useless to me out here in the real world!  But I guess reality really isn't important to the trolls, is it?  No, they seem far more interested in regurgitating all of the self-grandizing, pro-program bullshit that they "heard about", probably so they can help HLA can con more parents, and swindle them out of their hard earned money!

The troll says parents should listen to HLA alumnis, well I AM AN HLA ALUMNI, and here is what I have to say:  Parents, if you truly want to help your kids (and not just dump them off somewhere so you don't have to deal with), then please, KEEP YOUR KIDS THE HELL AWAY FROM HLA!!!

there you have it - from first-hand experience.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Ask the Graduates
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 12:33:21 PM »
***If abuse is common at HLA, why wouldn't there be lots of accounts of this, on this site, the newspapers, and elsewhere?

Good question. ?Abuses? don?t make the news unless there is a death, and many programs have successfully kept deaths out of the media.

***Kids are forever on the web nowadays -- , etc. There should be lots of testimony of abuse at HLA if such is the case.

Read here and MySpace. If you don?t read abuse, it?s because you condone it.

***I looked into HLA for my kid, and talked to the parent of an alumni. He said this site blew everything out of proportion. He said his child is home now, and never saw or heard of abuse during his stay there of nearly 2 years. Now what possible motivation would this child have to lie and not tell his dad about abuse?

The ?motivation? not to talk about abuses stems from months/years of conditioning. From day one communication is monitored. Negative comments- labeled manipulation- about the program are swiftly and harshly punished. Parents are conditioned to report this to the program so they can ?handle it?. It is clear in a very short time that the program is the ultimate authority in the child?s life. Two years of this and the child stops talking to the parent at all, except for surface conversation. In fact, all that?s allowed is reports on how they?re ?working their program?.  They?re told that their parent condones the methods employed by the program, and assume as much based on their parents compliance. In fact, parents know nothing of what?s happening on a day-to-day basis. They trust the program. Given the nature of the conditioning, the question should be, what ?would? motivate them to voice complaints and risk punishment? As for post-program? My ex, still knows nothing about what really went on, because my son knows he bought the program hook-line-and-sinker. Part of the conditioning is that the child learns to keep their thoughts and feelings to themselves- not to bother their parent with their ?manipulation?. Why ?would? they attempt to speak of such things with someone who abdicated responsibility for their well being to a program, and took the word of the program over their own child?
A question every parent should ask- how can these ?programs? sever contact with parents when it?s forbidden even in psychiatric hospitals without showing proof that the relationship is detrimental to the child? In fact, it serves one purpose- to lower attrition.

***It seems way more likely that those who claim routine abuse at HLA are just ies with an axe to grind.

What seems more likely is that you haven?t read this forum or MySpace, and if you have, then you condone the methods.

***I had a son at a different boarding school. Believe me, he would have been glad to list abuses. Kids would love to do so. So if you've any real doubts, the reasonable thing is to contact an alum and ask.

Which boarding school? Why didn?t you select HLA? Kids will list abuses to anyone they feel are genuinely interested. There may be some confusion, post-program, regarding what is and isn?t abuse. When you?ve lived with abuse for two years, and have been told that it?s ?therapy?, reality tends to become skewed. There are many accounts at this site of people who have not confronted their parents or attempted to tell them what happened for years, decades, after the experience. There?s a reason. Trust was not built, what little trust was there prior to the program was destroyed. The parent receives back a stepford child who ?acts? as they have been conditioned to.

***The conspiracy theorists at this sight might plausibly explain that kids while there are afraid to speak up because the staff might retaliate.

You spoke to the ?parent? of one alum and placed your child in a different program, yet you feel qualified to categorize the painful, degrading, humiliating accounts that are shared here as ?conspiracy??  You will not be taken very seriously. A parent who is considering any program should have a firm understanding of the methods and techniques and have an independent third party evaluate them. The professionals I consulted with were appalled.

***But 1) parents visit the place 5 times a year or so. Any parent can see fear in their kid's eyes if abuse were happening, and 2) again, ask people that have exited the program.

A parent may see the fear in their child?s eyes but discount it as ?manipulation? as the program has conditioned them to do. My ex had no reaction to our son?s change in appearance and demeanor at the first visit. He was like a cowling dog that had been beaten. Terrified of making a mistake. Jumpy. Spilled his drink at dinner and lost his appetite. Couldn?t make eye contact with people. Declined to input an opinion of how we spent our time. Sick the entire visit from having been on restriction for the majority of the previous three months which included inadequate calories and variety of foods. That is not a sign of any useful ?therapy? that I am aware of. Those things didn?t even register on his father?s radar. He was genuinely too ignorant to evaluate the signs, and I doubt that my son shared much at all with him. He placed full trust in the ?professionals? at the program and my son knew that. I can imagine, that for the parent who wants a child who will ?be seen but not heard?, those signs could appear to be signs of progress. I saw them as a tearing down of a once confident, assertive child and rendering a scared, confused, insecure child.

***Just because this organization works with kids, can a perfect track record be expected? That is other-worldly thinking.

This goes beyond ?shortcomings?. These programs are flawed by design. You are not going to build trust with your child by abdicating responsibility to strangers who do not have a vested interest in your child?s well being; by placing your child thousands of miles away from home and severing their contact with family and the outside world. This has never been true of institutions and never will be because the parents are not involved in the process. They know this, hence the strong urging for post-program placement in a boarding school, selected from their list. Making such a placement keeps parent and child separated, ensuring the illusion that the program ?worked? continues. No post-program placement voids the guarantee.

***Lots of sports teams, skilled counselors who care, and a sober lifestyle. Very few boarding offer that -- I have looked.

What do you base these comments on? Skilled counselors who care? This one parent of an alum ?knew? this about all previous and present counselors? Are you speculating, espousing wishful thinking?

***Believing the massive coverup theory at HLA is like believing that the lunar landing was a hoax. Too many independent people involved to cover up the truth

Wrong. This industry has been around for 30+ years, operating pretty much the same. One must understand the dynamics of the conditioning to understand why it is only recently that the truth has become public, largely due to the internet and forums such as Fornits.

What is to be expected of a "college prep" program? Every kid that has spoken to this issues claims to have come out ill prepared to return to high school. My son was 5 credits behind his peers and was an A/B student going in.

I don't consider 'graduating' to constitute 'success'. Of the 18 kids in my son's PG, less than half completed the program, including my son.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Ask the Graduates
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 02:04:54 PM »
Lots of sports teams, skilled counselors who care, and a sober lifestyle.

correction: unskilled, unlicensed counselors without counseling degrees who trade clothes and favors from the kids for controlled substances and tobacco.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Ask the Graduates
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 06:29:25 PM »
I am sure not all counselors behave in that manner.

Comments SHH... three weeks later.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Ask the Graduates
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 01:47:58 AM »
what I find interesting about the original poster is the idea that if a kid is not actually beaten or starved then a tbs is a good idea.

Even if it is not abusive per se, If "therapy" causes a kid to fall behind in their school work so that they are significantly behind in their education or if they get little sleep and continually are "confronted" to tthe point of having no privacy and their conversations with family are monitored so that nobody can feel comfortable having an honest conversation then what benefit is there for the kid? Even if a programme is not so horrible that parents witness "terror" in their kids eyes when they see them, if a programme has nothing to hide then why the monitored ph calls? Surely families are not so disfunctional that they need a therapist to supervise what is said.
Perhaps some kids are not abused in the traditional sense but if they are dealing with forced confession and other things that an ASR parent once positively described as "gut wrenching" it is hardly healthy. It does not sound like any kind of therapy that an adult would willingly sign on for. (I am aware that this is an HLA forum but their brand of therapy seems similar)
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Ask the Graduates
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »
trust me me HLA was not a good place. The above posters had it right.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Ask the Graduates
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 06:04:56 PM »
Also, I am a former student.