Author Topic: hah, check this out  (Read 1373 times)

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
hah, check this out
« on: January 22, 2003, 05:22:00 PM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline JDavid

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/moondiggum
hah, check this out
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 05:52:00 PM »
Yeah, and the cure for "Oppositional Defiant Disorder" is TURNING 18! When people will get out of his ass and leave him the hell alone.  The solution for most of this crap lies in LIBERATION.  Therefore, oppression only messes things up worse, because that's the opposite of liberation.

Liberation of a teen is not all so simple though.  I had to think on it for a few years to come up with how to do it safely.  No one will ever make money on methods to liberate teens though, so I can just forget it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hah, check this out
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 08:03:00 PM »
Oppositional Defiant Disorder. I find the acronym for this to be "ODD". My aunt told my mother six years ago that there was a connection between having ADD and alcoholism. I have never been diagnosed by an official as having this, but it gave my mother great joy in realizing that I was ADD and that she was therefore not a failure in the parenting department. Oh joy, my son has ADD!

My mom took this counsel as truth and soon would mail me a book titled "You Mean I'm NOT Stupid, Lazy, or Crazy?" During these years I had started drinking booze, but this just blew my mind. I never thought I was stupid or lazy or crazy, but here was a book to help me realize that I wasn't all three? I was insulted and embarrassed that my mom thought that I would ever need a book with this title. How would you feel?

My wife (then fiancee) was able to see through it quite easily and told me that my mom was trying to jusfity herself. She knew it was bizarre that my mom would get SO happy about the idea of her own son having ADD. She was using this "newfound discovery" to cope with her own feeling of failure about her parenting. Once she said this I felt vindicated. It was true. I confronted my mom about her joy over my ADD thing and she was basically busted the moment I spoke up.

I have to come to the conclusion that people get away with all kinds of nonsense until we assert ourselves. I'm not a disagreeable person unless people start talking about half of all children having attention deficit.

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
hah, check this out
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 11:33:00 PM »
And uh, if I learned one thing from Str8, it is that TREATING the teen is futile.....
...my 14 year old makes sure I know that.
He is a good kid.
He also happens to be at least half of the things in that list.
One thing they ARE right on is positive parenting techniques.  I add underpinned with a slight but certain fear of dad....it's
working so far.
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
hah, check this out
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 10:38:00 AM »
LOL...this is the biggest pile of utter horseshit I have ever read!

"The causes of ODD are unknown?" PLEASE....let me give you a few causes.

1) HORMONES - kids changing, experiencing whirlwind body and mood changes...thats enough to make anyone defiant.

2) FUCKED UP PARENTS - How many of these kids parents are verbally, physically, or emotionally abusive?  I bet they would have all kinds of neat numbers and statistics to throw around if they added these factors into the equation!

3) This is not a disorder folks...newsflash.  Parents are not omnipotent....not perfect, and sure as hell do not need some trumped up "condition" to absolve them of their difficulties in raising a kid.  Kids have been defiant and disorderly since the beginning of time....all of a sudden this is a "condition"? No its called learning and GROWING UP.  If we dont teach them , how will they learn?  And no kid ever learned anything by being told once or in only one way.  

If we were to adhere to these sort of fucked up ideals regarding "disorders" it would ultimately mean that kids who didnt have them would just grow up perfect, without difficulty.  We would just put them in a box when they were infants and then pop them out when they were 18 and they would be perfectly formed and well adjusted human beings....no troubles.  COME ON!!!!!

Its crap like this that makes me furious....
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
hah, check this out
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 11:43:00 AM »
On 2003-01-22 17:03:00, Anonymous wrote:I'm not a disagreeable person unless people start talking about half of all children having attention deficit.

Or, to put it another way, when quacks start talking about over half of all children being abnormal. WTF!!! Where's the scientist who was supposed to review this homework before it made it into the canons of scientific fact?? How in the world can a majority be abnormal?? By definition, they are normal!

And, btw, Anon I know just exactly what you're talking about. I was always so jealous of other kids who's mothers would cheer them on and come up with something encouraging to say under the most trying circumstances. And there was MY mom, constantly trying to nail me down with some evidence of one kind of dysfunction or another.

But she treated everyone that way. One time, my sister left from my mom's place on the other side of the state to visit me. Not long after she'd left, there was a hit-and-run involving a death on a highway that she might have used. You know that old lady called me up, hysterical, absolutely sure it had been my sister who plowed this man over and then went on her merry way. Friggin' amazing!

I am married, not Buried !
-- Steve Webb

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes