Author Topic: Strange things are afoot at the Circle K  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« on: July 03, 2006, 08:48:00 AM »
I was at the grocery store shopping yesterday and a very weird thing happened.

As I was pushing my cart through the isles I began to notice that a voice had started up speaking over the intercom.  It was a recording of course, but it was being played all over the store.  It was some deep voiced patriotic sounding man talking about America.  At first I dismissed it as a silly 4th of July tribute thing and just listened for a moment.  It became increasingly clear that this "announcement" was more than just a tribute.  What began as stars and stripes forever quickly morphed into a lengthy diatribe about 'freedom' and the "American dream".  This guy went on and on and on....about justice and liberty and just how amazing America was, about how we were better than other nations, historically and otherwise, about how we wouldnt give into the oppression of terrorism.  

I started to get really agitated, I got a feeling in my gut not dissimilar to what Neo might have felt when he woke up from The Matrix.  All the while the guy kept making a point to say "America" over and over.  It just went on and on and on  and got progressively more passionate and agressive.  I looked around to see if i was the only one who was noticing anything and everyone else seemed oblivious.  It was probably the closest Ive ever come to feeling like I just landed in Orwell's 1984.

it was like a full on propoganda nightmare, right there in the friggin grocery store.  I had to go check out immediately because I couldnt stand to hear it anymore.

Anyone else experience this kind of thing before, besides the obvious?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 09:48:00 AM »
Yeah I've heard that type of spiel before. There's a guy who lives near me who converted his van into a giant political statement, with audio speakers and all. Drives around announcing how gays are bad for America, among other things.
I take comfort in the fact that they have a right to say what they have to say, and anyone who thinks Americans should rot in hell also has the same right to express their opinion.
Nationalists exist in every nation on Earth, and America is not unique in it's craziness in this way. If we ever get invaded by some chinese nationalists or attacked again by arab nationalists, I'd be glad we got some crazies of our own to go kick some ass.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 07:23:00 PM »
Nationalism...is a disease of the ego!

::dove::
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 08:09:00 PM »
That is damn weird.  Not too far removed from the subliminal anti-shoplifting announcements that are played behind the Muzak in department stores, though.  Can you imagine the guys at the CIA ort NSA that came up with the idea?  "I got it!! We'll brainwash all the Circle K customers into loving America no matter what! If this works, we'll spend the money to wire up Wal-MNart and McDonald's and really get the big numbers!".

As ridiculous as this sounds, it  could explain a few things.

Back in my LSD-using days, I remember being really creeped out by convenience stores (particularly the flourescent lighting, and that was without weirdo 1984ish propaganda messages, so I can imagine what it would be like with them......[ This Message was edited by: RTP2003 on 2006-07-03 17:12 ]
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
Speaking of LSD, is there any of that around anywhere on Earth these days??? Just curious.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
I dropped acid in a convenience store once.  My friend was the clerk there. It was actually pretty cool.

I dont hink Ive even seen acid since then, and that was before Straight.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »
We used to do some rails of k and coke and head to the mall... ah the good old days.  :lol: