Author Topic: Any positives for any wilderness program?  (Read 3670 times)

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
Any positives for any wilderness program?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »
outward bound doesnt usually offer "therapy" but i think maybe a family outward bound trip (ie canoeing, mountain climbing, backpacking, dog sledding, might help open communication lines between you and your teen that way when you get back to "civilization" maybe a transition into family therapy with a licenced therapist might be a good option to continue building that relationship with you and your teen.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »
Also as a secondary thought, being in the wilderness/outdoors will bring some form of "alone" time.  If you travel with a group of 3-4 OTHER families, your teen and yourself may find yourselves working in 2 different groups towards a same goal.  For example.  If you were on a canoe trip, you and your teen might paddle together one day out of the whole trip.... other days are spent paddling with other members of the trip group.  The outward bound facilitator is supposedly good at accomodating goals and accomplishments.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »
On 2006-06-27 11:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I guess I was asking too much, hoping for helpful responses from former teens who have actually been to wilderness. Thanks for the suggestion on Outward Bound.

As much as I like the idea of the family doing an outdoor program along with my teen, I have to wonder if the therapy aspect would be as effective. One of our goals is to take some time apart from each other and from the usual day-to-day environment stresses and routine. Another goal is detox and building skills toward recovery. Those are my teen's goals too.

We are considering some sort of outdoor program simply because the most likely alternative is to spend a few weeks in a detox type of facility. Seems like for a kid who likes the outdoors, a wilderness program might be more appealing than painted walls. "

Many - most - of the responses are really off your question, but a couple make sense.  Outward Bound uses a softer approach in its Intercept courses than most good wilderness programs.  Their other (non-Intercept) courses would not be a particularly good choice for someone needing to detox and build recovery tools.

Your idea about time away from each other and from the daily usuals has merit, but so does real family therapy.  Depending on how serious your son is about getting help (vs. accepting he has little choice but to do some "program"), other issues to be addressed, and the extent and depth of "problems", you can find excellent choices to serve.  Some are wilderness, others not quite.  But I'd never suggest a particular place on this board.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »

"I guess I was asking too much, hoping for helpful responses from former teens who have actually been to wilderness. Thanks for the suggestion on Outward Bound."

It's been all of 10 hours since you posted. Could be no response because no one had a "positive" experience?

What's will YOUR teen be 'detoxing' from?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »
I just looked at outward bounds family trips. most of them last 8 days.  They also offer a "solo" time.  I agree with the poster above me especially when dealing with detoxing.  If you are speaking about actual drug and alcohol then you do need professional guidance... however in the sense where maybe I want you to "detox" from each other.... a wilderness thing might be right...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 02:54:00 PM »
On 2006-06-27 11:48:00, Deborah wrote:

"

"I guess I was asking too much, hoping for helpful responses from former teens who have actually been to wilderness. Thanks for the suggestion on Outward Bound."

It's been all of 10 hours since you posted. Could be no response because no one had a "positive" experience?

What's will YOUR teen be 'detoxing' from?"

Could it be that a kid that did have a positive experience with Wilderness would not waste his time being bashed on Fornits?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
On 2006-06-27 10:10:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"I just think that if you're coming on here selling programs, we should know who we're dealing with.  It's only fair to let people know that certain advice comes from people trying to make money.

Fig makes a lot of sales pitches and it's important to know the methods Fig uses to advertise.  It's time to make that information clear to readers.
"

Fig?  Fiiiiiig...?  Where does Fig go every time when this issue is brought up?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control