Author Topic: Three Springs wilderness camps  (Read 23948 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Three Springs wilderness camps
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2006, 09:54:00 AM »
On 2006-07-03 04:14:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"Ignore them if I cared I would have taken the piss out of them myself. "

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2006, 12:43:00 PM »
I have found an article before that shows the amount that Three Springs paid the family.  It actually was a very small settlement amount considering the circumstances.  If you would like I can go back and find the article again and post it for you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »
Yes, please post the article. Thanks!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2006, 01:59:50 AM »
thats the Wayne County death that i had heard about in training.. good to see that another person found the article.... unfortunately it says nothing about Three Springs being involved but the date and stuff fits with when they would have been on the trail.  I'm going to google her name and see what i come up with.

Printed in 2003

Wednesday, July 9, 2003

Va. State Police Still Puzzled By Young Trail Hiker?s Death
By Karl B. Hille
The Winchester Star

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Virginia State Police are still awaiting autopsy results on a Georgia girl who collapsed July 2 on the Appalachian Trail in Clarke County.

Danita Ritchie, 15, of Gwinnett County, Ga., was hiking with a group of young people near the Clarke-Loudoun County line when she became ill, State Police said.

By the time rescue workers could reach the remote section of trail, Ritchie was beyond help, said Trooper Richard McClanahan.

There was no indication of foul play or injury, McClanahan said.

?I?ve talked to the pathologist that did the autopsy,? he said. ?She told me there wasn?t any injuries. She thought it [the cause of death] was going to be medical, but she was waiting for results to come back from the lab to determine the exact cause.?

He said it could take six to eight weeks for a final report from the coroner?s office in Fairfax.

Ritchie collapsed on Buzzard Hill, McClanahan said, which is located on a portion of the trail known to hikers as ?the Roller Coaster? because of its steep climbs and descents.

He said the group of hikers was about two miles north of Morgans Mill Road, near Mount Weather.

Clarke County Sheriff Dale Gardner said last week that Ritchie was the second teen to report health problems while hiking that portion of the trail in recent days.

The week before, a 15-year-old boy became ill while hiking and was helped from the trail, Gardner said.

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2006, 02:08:58 AM »
googled name and came up with this

Both are from archived/cached pages.

Posted on Sat, Jul. 05, 2003

Authorities say Gwinnett teen died from cardiac arrest while hiking Appalachian Trail

Associated Press

SNICKERS GAP, Va. - A 15-year-old girl from Georgia died in a remote area of the Appalachian Trail from cardiac arrest, Virginia authorities announced on Friday.

Danita Ritchie of Gwinnett County was hiking with a group of young people from Lawrenceville near the Clarke-Loudoun county line when she became unconscious at about 2 p.m. Wednesday, state police said. She was pronounced dead on the trail an hour later.

Her body was taken to Fairfax for an autopsy on Thursday.

The group, from an all-girl school in Jesup, was on a section of the trail known as "The Roller Coaster" because of its steep rocky climbs and sharp descents, officials said. By the time rescuers reached the rugged area, there was nothing they could do, Trooper Richard McClanahan said.

The medical examiner said she became dizzy and her heart had sped up, causing the heart attack, said Donald Ritchie, Danita's father.

"Danita was a great girl," he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "She was an artist. She played the piano and she wrote poetry. This is very difficult because to me she is still a baby."

AND********************************************************

Gwinnett hiker, 15, dies on Appalachian Trail

The Associated Press

SNICKERS GAP, Va. -- A 15-year-old girl from Georgia died after becoming ill
in a remote area of the Appalachian Trail on Wednesday, authorities said.

Danita Ritchie of Gwinnett County was hiking with a group of young people
from Georgia near the Clarke-Loudoun county line when she became ill, state
police said.

The group was on a section of the trail known as "The Roller Coaster"
because of its steep rocky climbs and sharp descents, officials said. By the
time rescuers reached the rugged area, there was nothing they could do,
Trooper Richard McClanahan said.

"There's no indication of foul play," McClanahan said. "It appears to be a
medical thing. At this point we have no idea what kind of medical problem it
was."

Richie's body was taken to Fairfax for an autopsy to be performed Thursday.

By late afternoon, a heavy fog and mist had settled in on portions of the
mountain, and Red Cross volunteers waited in a steady rain for the stunned
hikers in the group to emerge from the trail. The group was taken to the
Blue Ridge Fire and Rescue Squad.

"They were pretty upset, but they calmed down, and the Red Cross and the
fire department auxiliary got them something to eat," McClanahan said.

It was the second time within a week that a 15-year-old required assistance
on the same stretch of trail, Clarke County Sheriff Dale Gardner said. Last
week, a boy took ill while hiking and was helped from the trail, but he is
expected to recover.

"It's one of the roughest parts of the trail," Gardner said.

Offline Elaine

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2006, 02:12:24 AM »
i'm really glad this thread was started -- i've been going through all the boards and getting familiar with the setup here, and it's good to see something about three springs.

-- i absolutely don't discount being able to read other experiences with other programs... but here's my chance to say:

me too. in owens cross roads. for me - it was 1997-1998.

just wanted to introduce myself.

and i also wanted to say to those of you that are ex-TS staff: my heart is open to you, and i am glad you are here too. i still have one ex-staff friend in real life and we have shared our struggles like we were fighting the war together -- which we were. good staff, and good kids --- i know that good staff people exist. i guess it's just important for me to say that.

you know as well as we do the monsters that were employed there -- in whatever year's incarnation of the program you were up against.

i think that my point is that i'm glad this site is here for us. even though i've gotten about it a rambly way.  :oops:
hree springs: 97-98
new beginnings and turning point

i\'m haunted

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2006, 08:38:54 AM »
tsw... where is owens crossroads?? in alabama obviously... was it near paintrock valley?

I am surprised i lasted as long as i did.... and i'm glad you have found solace here elaine.... message me if ya wanna chat some more

I think many times staff get brainwashed just as much as the kids into thinking the program will work or that the program is the high and mighty of all.  I still keep in contact with another ex staff member as well.  There are other ex staff that live in my apartment complex and none of them will talk to me more than a simple hello.  Its sad when people feel the need to exclude someone because they made a decision to get the hell out of a hellhole

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2006, 01:48:52 PM »
yeah... there are very few ppl whom i've run across that were happy with Three Springs.

Elaine, feel free to share your story too!

Offline Sark

• View Profile
Three Springs
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2006, 04:29:11 PM »
I am a parent of a daughter at Three Springs Paint Rock Valley.  We have been exceptionally pleased with the program and the results for our daughter.

No sugar coating here - things are not perfect.  It's a tough decision for any parent to make.  We have been exceptionally pleased with the staff and the corporation.  Sure, it's a business.  But without this business as an option, not sure where we would have turned.
quot;The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas at the same time and retain the ability to function.\"  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

\"We are beings of light, and whatever obscures that light can be examined.\" - Sark

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2006, 06:48:05 PM »
Being a former staff i feel sorry for your daughter. I hope CPS takes your child away.  I'm sorry but Three  Springs is NO place for a child to be.  They cover up controversies and "accidents" that happen.  They don't care for the kids there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Three Springs
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2006, 06:55:03 PM »
Quote from: ""esarks""
I am a parent of a daughter at Three Springs Paint Rock Valley.  We have been exceptionally pleased with the program and the results for our daughter.

No sugar coating here - things are not perfect.  It's a tough decision for any parent to make.  We have been exceptionally pleased with the staff and the corporation.  Sure, it's a business.  But without this business as an option, not sure where we would have turned.

How long has she been there?   How do you calculate her success?  What are the results you're pleased with?

Offline Sark

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2006, 08:28:15 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 10:11:10 PM by Guest »
quot;The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas at the same time and retain the ability to function.\"  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

\"We are beings of light, and whatever obscures that light can be examined.\" - Sark

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2006, 08:42:13 PM »
Quote from: ""esarks""
Prior to Three Springs she was treated for two years.  Her treatment at Three Springs will be 18 months.

Treatment for what and what type of treatment?  Wow.  How old is this child?  That's a major chunk of your childhood spent away from home and family.

The goal of the program is to re-socialize a child back into the family from the day they arrive to Three Springs.  The program is highly structured to progress the child through stages, based on personal growth.  Progress is guided and monitored by a published and periodically updated treatment plan specific to the individual and very detailed.  Parental involvement is highly encouraged from the beginning.  Monthly visits are made to the facility and within months the child starts making visits back home.

Who does the evaluations and what specifically are their qualifications for doing so?

How is parental involvement 'highly encouraged'?  Can you call and speak with your child when you want to?  Are phone calls monitored by anyone?  Can you just drop in and see her or do you have to make an appointment?  

Weekly the treatment team evaluates the progress of each individual with the input of counselors and other staff.  This feedback is given to the parents.  Frequent conference calls are held and can be called at any time by the child or the parent to discuss specific topics.

Who makes up the treatment team and what specifically are their qualifications?

Do you get feedback from your child?  Are they able to call you and discuss things with you privately?

She has been back to visit her counselor and the counselor has reviewed the entire chart, and speaks highly of the interventions and treatment which has been given to her.  That's the clinical side - and of course I know progress simply because of the relationship I have with her.

What degrees does her counselor hold?

What do the interventions consist of?

What is the treatment specifically?

Like all treatment - it truly is up to the individual to finally take responsibility for their own growth.  Some people simply won't do that.  No program can force a child to do that.

It seems that most of them sure try.  I'm really trying to get an understanding of all this so I hope you will take the time to answer the questions.

Thanks.

Offline Sark

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2006, 09:36:21 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 10:10:47 PM by Guest »