Author Topic: Scary Larry back on campus!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 71043 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Scary Larry back on campus!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #465 on: May 21, 2007, 09:16:11 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I hate to say something negative about Sumner Hawley cuz most of you seem to like him here, but he told me that he would write a letter of recommendation for college for me and he never did.  Hyde hated me and he was the only one I felt I could turn to.  I called him many times over several months and each time he said he would do it.  It seems to me that he could have been more honest with me if he really didn't feel comfortable.  Instead he just stringed me along.

I think he was a damned coward.  Maybe he had good reason to be and he was stuck between a rock and a hard place.  But from where I sat it pretty much sucked, sucked big time.  And he didnt even have the balls to set me straight.

They talk up this big story about ethics and responsibility and honesty and all that other crap, and its really just one big pile of putrid horseshit when it comes to applying it to themselves.  They play favorites with their chosen ones and they single out some others to be the examples of what its like to be on the bottom.  

Its worse than a regular boarding school.  At least there everybody knows that bullshit goes around.  At Hyde they pretend they are above all that but they are really actually WORSE than everybody else.  They think their shit dont stink, and we're supposed to believe it, cuz they say that it is so.

Well... I did like Sumner, although... I have to say, that what you write does not surprise me.  

For the life of me, he could never look me straight in the eye.  When it was simply unavoidable, e.g., discussing sundry matters in his office, he would put tuck his chin in, almost as if to hide his face somehow, by skewing the perception thereof...  I had always chalked it up to morbid shyness, but perhaps there was more to it.

He seemed to enjoy a set of personal freedoms that the other faculty did not.  I expect that had something to do with his association with the founding of the school as well as his age.  He rarely spoke up at school meetings and seminars, and when he did, he seemed most uncomfortable about it.  Perhaps that is why many of us liked him: for whatever reason, he seemed less inclined to jump on the character assassination bandwagon.  Perhaps that had more to do with his personality than with his personal moral code.  He also was intelligent and valued academic striving, a rare quality to find at Hyde...

That said, I do think Sumner should have been more honest with you re. writing a letter of recommendation and it is very unfortunate that he was not.  It sounds cruel.  You would think a school would be able to put personal likes and dislikes on hold when it comes to furthering the success of its students.  After all, the success of its students is what a "boarding school" should theoretically be all about, eh?  It is just nauseatingly typical of Hyde to continue its personal agenda way past the point of efficacy.  What could have been gained by this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Jesus H Christ

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 06, 2007, 05:58:31 PM »
Larry fucking OWNS all you goonballs, fucking geeks. :lol:

He also owns the most viewed thread on this board. Go Larry!
sk and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 07, 2007, 11:52:26 PM »
Quote from: ""JoeSoulBro""
...the most viewed thread on this board.

And this would be why?

A lot of Diddler Dubinsky fans out there?
A lot of voyeuristic readers who want to be up on the latest juicy commentary?

...or:

The fact that this thread also contains a tremendous amount of other pertinent material?
The fact that Larry just happens to epitomize the sad sorry truth about Hyde and their pathetic methods of handling it?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 08, 2007, 06:52:56 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""

And this would be why?

...or:

The fact that this thread also contains a tremendous amount of other pertinent material?
The fact that Larry just happens to epitomize the sad sorry truth about Hyde and their pathetic methods of handling it?

All of the above!!

From what I understand, this same creature who inappropriately touched the female students, still lives in Hyde housing and still has contact with the female students at Hyde as of 2007.  Hyde obviously approves of his presence. What does this tell you about this sick culture?  This would not happen in the public schools or any boarding school that abides by the same rules as public insitututions.  It couldn't happen.  I caution you Mother's out there with daughters!

Hyde needs to wake up and stop living according to the Taliban rules where it is acceptable to demean and fondle females.  Hopefully the next time it happens, the parents will come to this site and see all the posts that tell a continuing story about Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 08, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »

And this would be why?

...or:

All of the above!!

From what I understand, this same creature who inappropriately touched the female students, still lives in Hyde housing and still has contact with the female students at Hyde as of 2007.  Hyde obviously approves of his presence. What does this tell you about this sick culture?  This would not happen in the public schools or any boarding school that abides by the same rules as public insitututions.  It couldn't happen.  I caution you Mother's out there with daughters!

Hyde needs to wake up and stop living according to the Taliban rules where it is acceptable to demean and fondle females.  Hopefully the next time it happens, the parents will come to this site and see all the posts that tell a continuing story about Hyde.

Does Hyde approve?  Or is it blackmail?  What is in Larry's photo collection?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 08, 2007, 10:32:58 PM »

And this would be why?

...or:

All of the above!!

Does Hyde approve?  Or is it blackmail?  What is in Larry's photo collection?

I'd check that stack of magazines next to that solo chair in the attic mentioned by a previous poster...   :rofl:

Seriously now: does anybody know of Larry's taking photos of students, e.g., those late night dips in the pool he was allegedly so fond of hosting for the girls when Donna was away?  There is an uncomfortable thought...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 18, 2007, 08:10:02 PM »
Does Mr. Dubinsky have a formal job at Hyde, or is he only the spouse of Mrs. Dubinsky as far as Hyde is concerned?  Has Hyde informed parents of his history at Hyde and the problems he encountered?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 19, 2007, 12:00:58 AM »
Does Mr. Dubinsky have a formal job at Hyde, or is he only the spouse of Mrs. Dubinsky as far as Hyde is concerned?  Has Hyde informed parents of his history at Hyde and the problems he encountered?

I imagine that the sheer number of pages this thread contains may well be daunting, but this thread, among a few others, contains quite a lot of material not just about Larry's sexual proclivities, but also those of a number of other former Hyde faculty, etc, and is well worth the reading time invested.

To summarize re. your question:  Larry was a former Hyde student in the mid 70s who married another former Hyde student (Donna) and who both returned to teach at Hyde.  Several of the current Hyde administration knew Larry as a student, and some knew Donna as well, as some of them were students around the same time.

Larry was... shall we say... a bit too liberal in translating his "affections" for the (female) students into physical channels...  He was also in charge of the Dean's Area, and hence privy to student's required confessions of their sexual misadventures and transgressions, which he apparently took great satisfaction in hearing out in a most "thorough" manner.  

Hyde was well aware of this problem, as there had been complaints from students for years.  Eventually, as Hyde never did anything save make these girls feel pretty shitty for even opening their mouths about such a thing, one of the parents sued re. the sexual assault of their daughter.  

Apparently Hyde still did not see fit to alter Larry's circumstances, hoping that Larry "taking some time off to think about things" should suffice.  However, Donna is still employed at Hyde, and least two (I believe) of their kids still attend Hyde, so Hyde rationalizes that Larry's involvement with the Hyde community is necessary for "family reasons."  It is my understanding that the Dubinskys live in faculty housing, on or extremely close to the Woodstock campus.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 19, 2007, 06:00:25 AM »

I imagine that the sheer number of pages this thread contains may well be daunting, but this thread, among a few others, contains quite a lot of material not just about Larry's sexual proclivities, but also those of a number of other former Hyde faculty, etc, and is well worth the reading time invested.

To summarize re. your question:  Larry was a former Hyde student in the mid 70s who married another former Hyde student (Donna) and who both returned to teach at Hyde.  Several of the current Hyde administration knew Larry as a student, and some knew Donna as well, as some of them were students around the same time.

Larry was... shall we say... a bit too liberal in translating his "affections" for the (female) students into physical channels...  He was also in charge of the Dean's Area, and hence privy to student's required confessions of their sexual misadventures and transgressions, which he apparently took great satisfaction in hearing out in a most "thorough" manner.  

Hyde was well aware of this problem, as there had been complaints from students for years.  Eventually, as Hyde never did anything save make these girls feel pretty shitty for even opening their mouths about such a thing, one of the parents sued re. the sexual assault of their daughter.  

Apparently Hyde still did not see fit to alter Larry's circumstances, hoping that Larry "taking some time off to think about things" should suffice.  However, Donna is still employed at Hyde, and least two (I believe) of their kids still attend Hyde, so Hyde rationalizes that Larry's involvement with the Hyde community is necessary for "family reasons."  It is my understanding that the Dubinskys live in faculty housing, on or extremely close to the Woodstock campus.

Thanks -- these details are very helpful.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 20, 2007, 09:13:44 PM »

How could Hyde take the risk of having someone like this on campus?  They must be out of their minds taking on this liability

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 21, 2007, 11:16:14 PM »

How could Hyde take the risk of having someone like this on campus?  They must be out of their minds taking on this liability

Not exactly novel behavior on their part.

Offline lucy

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 31, 2007, 12:59:41 AM »

How could Hyde take the risk?  Very easy answer.  Number one, Hyde's arrogance is beyond anything you have ever experienced, and number two there are always desperate parents out there who play into all this B.S. and are weak enough to worship J Gauld.  Most every adult who is involved with Hyde has deep deep issues even after spending years and years at Hyde.  Truth is, that none of them ever truly "get it" or they would move on!!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 31, 2007, 01:54:46 AM »
Quote from: ""lucy""

How could Hyde take the risk?  Very easy answer.  Number one, Hyde's arrogance is beyond anything you have ever experienced, and number two there are always desperate parents out there who play into all this B.S. and are weak enough to worship J Gauld.  Most every adult who is involved with Hyde has deep deep issues even after spending years and years at Hyde.  Truth is, that none of them ever truly "get it" or they would move on!!

Those that "get it" do move on, often with much attendant frustration and disillusion.  For despite Hyde's avowed ideals, the reality bears little resemblance to these laudable goals.  

The reality, in fact, bears a great deal more resemblance to the old "reign in the errant youth and control their wayward behavior" of reform schools in the past, and was, in fact and not surprisingly, how Hyde was started in the first place!  Perhaps this makes the hypocritical smearing on of a so-called "character-based" facade all the more distasteful and insulting.  Let's just call a spade a spade, Hyde, and not a fancy schmancy available-to-members-only silverplated name-brand shovel!  Both might serve well for the purposes of dispensing all the bullshit laid around there, but the former would be a hell of a lot of honest, eh?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:26:13 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 31, 2007, 08:05:15 AM »
Most every adult who is involved with Hyde has deep deep issues even after spending years and years at Hyde.

Most any human being who has spent a significant chunk of time at Hyde will have deep deep issues, whether or not they had them prior to their "life-changing experience."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 31, 2007, 06:43:28 PM »
Most every adult who is involved with Hyde has deep deep issues even after spending years and years at Hyde.

Most any human being who has spent a significant chunk of time at Hyde will have deep deep issues, whether or not they had them prior to their "life-changing experience."

I am starting a self help group Hyde Alums Anonymous:

1) We admit we are powerless over Joe and our lives have become unmanageable