Author Topic: Scary Larry back on campus!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 71346 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Scary Larry back on campus!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #450 on: May 19, 2007, 11:08:36 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
So it a Hyde diploma an indication of character?

Theoretically, yes.  However, character appears to be ascertained by a student's "obedience" and "compliance" to the "authority" that is Hyde.

It is not sufficient, nor even applicable, if a student himself, or his or her parents, feel that "character growth" has been achieved.  The determination is made strictly by Hyde.

If Hyde feels a student made insufficient character growth, and they can not convince the parents to fork up the additional $45,000 for a "Senior Leadership" year, the student receives a "certificate."  Some might say this is basically little more than a GED, with a Hyde label on it.  In some cases, the student came back for the additional so-called Leadership year, and still only got a certificate.

Periodically, Hyde has purges, in which students are expelled for very nebulous so-called character issues.  Things that no public school in its right mind would consider doing, as it could never stand up in court.  Situations where no crime was committed, no egregious acts against the school were undertaken, and where academic progress was more than sufficient.  The problem?  Hyde doesn't like the student's "attitude," even in circumstances where the student fervently desires to stay at Hyde and has been trying their best.  These students get nothing.

It would appear that there are personal likes and dislikes on the part of Hyde administrators, and that these likes and dislikes have more to do with the assessment of "character" than the school would have one to believe.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 19, 2007, 11:40:44 AM »
I talked to a kid ( now adult) that should have been in my graduating class.  He said he was encouraged to "run away" by Henry Milton.  I wonder if there is evidence of that still happening. It sound like they turn the screws to kids that they think they can make jump to skew the numbers of college placement.  

To be fair Old Henry is not around to defend himself.  I hear he is down south some where.  At least there is no ice to push kids on in fla.

It may be self serving, but I think is some cases resistance to hyde is a better indication of character then graduation.  To be clear: I respect many of the people that I attended with , the ones that graduated ,the ones that did not and the ones that ran away too.  I think it is important to differentiate between the system and the people in it.  My opinion is there was/is something fundamentally wrong with the system.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 19, 2007, 12:34:53 PM »
I talked to a kid ( now adult) that should have been in my graduating class.  He said he was encouraged to "run away" by Henry Milton.  I wonder if there is evidence of that still happening. It sound like they turn the screws to kids that they think they can make jump to skew the numbers of college placement.

Oh, I think they use several methods.  The purges are part of that (the purges are also used for other reasons).  There is also something to making life so difficult for some kids that the parents take the kids out for fear of the kid's psychological safety.

And I think they get rid of kids for more reasons than just college placement.  E.g., SF, who I don't believe would have had much difficulty in  that department.  Don't know about the Dubinsky case, but whether or not the parents pulled that girl out or Hyde got rid of her by making her life pure hell is probably a moot point.  The image of that now former student yelling out "Get out while you can!" while Billy Procida was conducting a tour with some prospective student and his/her parents also comes to mind...

It may be self serving, but I think is some cases resistance to hyde is a better indication of character then graduation.  To be clear: I respect many of the people that I attended with , the ones that graduated ,the ones that did not and the ones that ran away too.  I think it is important to differentiate between the system and the people in it.  My opinion is there was/is something fundamentally wrong with the system.

I totally agree.

In addition to there being something fundamentally wrong with the system, I also think that the system is capriciously applied.  Whether that is by design, for reasons of overriding issues, or by incompetence or personal likes and dislikes, or a combination of all of the above, is not clear.  I'm rather inclined to believe it to be a combination of the above.

This is why you have:
*  kids who get a diploma who fully deserve a diploma;
*  kids who get a diploma who no way in hell deserve a diploma;
*  kids who deserve a diploma who don't get one;
*  kids who deserve a diploma who get expelled instead;
*  kids who don't deserve a diploma who don't get one;
*  kids who deserve to get expelled who don't get expelled;
*  kids who deserve to get expelled who do get expelled.

There is only a smidgeon of justice running through all of this and the exceptions to so-called rules are too numerous to mention.  Though I will mention your (?) bringing up Joanie Gallo as one that comes to mind of someone who should have gotten one, but did not (at the time).

What is so utterly destructive about all this is that Hyde passes itself off as the be-all/end-all of character assessment, and if you and/or your kid believe this, and also fall at the short end of that stick... there is the risk of some serious psychological damage, in my humble estimation.  

They are fond of saying that if you can't make it at Hyde, you can't make it anywhere... didn't Vanda bring that up again when she went back for her diploma?  I'm trying to remember the true origin of that phrase, that is not a Joe Gauld original, although they do try to convey that impression now, don't they...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 19, 2007, 07:37:42 PM »
Joan Gallo,  Yes I agree.

Offline Jesus H Christ

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 19, 2007, 07:48:19 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""

Oh, I think they use several methods.  The purges are part of that (the purges are also used for other reasons).  There is also something to making life so difficult for some kids that the parents take the kids out for fear of the kid's psychological safety.

And I think they get rid of kids for more reasons than just college placement.  E.g., SF, who I don't believe would have had much difficulty in  that department.  Don't know about the Dubinsky case, but whether or not the parents pulled that girl out or Hyde got rid of her by making her life pure hell is probably a moot point.  The image of that now former student yelling out "Get out while you can!" while Billy Procida was conducting a tour with some prospective student and his/her parents also comes to mind...

I totally agree.

In addition to there being something fundamentally wrong with the system, I also think that the system is capriciously applied.  Whether that is by design, for reasons of overriding issues, or by incompetence or personal likes and dislikes, or a combination of all of the above, is not clear.  I'm rather inclined to believe it to be a combination of the above.

This is why you have:

There is only a smidgeon of justice running through all of this and the exceptions to so-called rules are too numerous to mention.  Though I will mention your (?) bringing up Joanie Gallo as one that comes to mind of someone who should have gotten one, but did not (at the time).

What is so utterly destructive about all this is that Hyde passes itself off as the be-all/end-all of character assessment, and if you and/or your kid believe this, and also fall at the short end of that stick... there is the risk of some serious psychological damage, in my humble estimation.  

They are fond of saying that if you can't make it at Hyde, you can't make it anywhere... didn't Vanda bring that up again when she went back for her diploma?  I'm trying to remember the true origin of that phrase, that is not a Joe Gauld original, although they do try to convey that impression now, don't they...

The one thing I can remeber Vanda saying is " I figured I should get a diploma since Hyde was asking me for money"  
  Joe looked like he was going to have a fit when the guy from New York  was giving his speech.  Some prejudices die hard,  some never die,
  Joan's story was astonishing.  I was sitting there thinking "how did this woman walk out with out a diploma"
sk and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 19, 2007, 08:07:20 PM »
Quote from: ""JoeSoulBro""
The one thing I can remeber Vanda saying is " I figured I should get a diploma since Hyde was asking me for money"
More of a sound bite than a real reason... Hyde always asks you for money.  I am sure they are still asking the families of the girls in the Thurrell and the Dubinsky cases for money, as underhanded, odious, and incredible as it sounds.  

No matter how many times I've moved, leaving no forwarding address, they still find me and ask me for money.  They are the most consistent spam of my life.

Joe looked like he was going to have a fit when the guy from New York  was giving his speech.  Some prejudices die hard,  some never die,
Do elaborate?

Joan's story was astonishing.  I was sitting there thinking "how did this woman walk out with out a diploma"

Do elaborate here too... I must confess, I was more than a little amazed to hear that she went back to get her diploma, as it never would have occurred to me that she might not have gotten it!  And this is coming from a person who did not know her very well.  Non sequitur... she had a brother who also attended Hyde, did she not?  I am thinking he was named Ricky?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 19, 2007, 09:24:41 PM »
I think it is important to differentiate between the system and the people in it. My opinion is there was/is something fundamentally wrong with the system.

you said it!!  Hear! Hear!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 19, 2007, 10:53:29 PM »
I think it is important to differentiate between the system and the people in it. My opinion is there was/is something fundamentally wrong with the system.

you said it!!  Hear! Hear!

There's no question that there's something fundamentally wrong with the Hyde system.  It's based on a terribly outmoded framework that doesn't fit what most of its students need.  Most other schools for this population have figured that out; Hyde is stuck in the past, which is why it's losing ground big time.

Some of the people at Hyde I've gotten to know are decent, caring people.  But I've also met some Hyde staff who are on a scary power trip, love controlling other people's lives, suck up to the Gaulds, and use Hyde to meet their own needs.  Quite a few of the Hyde staff have struggled terribly and it shows.  Hyde seems to be a magnet for staff who would have a hard time functioning in more normal environments.  Many of these folks are awful role models for Hyde students.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 20, 2007, 03:17:38 AM »

I totally agree.

This is why you have:

After a short hiatus, I am happy to find the same old "Fornits lifers" still carrying on about the same old Fornits things. You should have Hyde put you in touch with Larry Dubinsky; you've got more in common than you know, or would care to admit.

Ursus, you are precious. I've known Holocaust survivors, hostages of enemy regimes, persons bereaved of family members by terrorists, the mutilated, and the raped, but none of them come close to the rancor of the bear, who ass-kissed Ed Legg for years, only to be expelled by him just before graduation! Ha ha ha! Good old Ed, I've got to hand it to him: that man had insight! I'm glad to read that Fornits is your "life-affirming gift"; that says a lot about the quality of your life. Let me guess: divorced, unemployed, kids won't talk to you, friendless, broke, and, at the root of it all, no Hyde diploma! Ursus, you have no sense of humor, but you are hilarious! Best of luck to you, old bear. I'll check in every few months to see how you're still doing.

Mike

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 20, 2007, 03:49:28 AM »
Quote from: ""Mike""
Ursus, you are precious. I've known Holocaust survivors, hostages of enemy regimes, persons bereaved of family members by terrorists, the mutilated, and the raped, but none of them come close to the rancor of the bear, who ass-kissed Ed Legg for years, only to be expelled by him just before graduation! Ha ha ha! Good old Ed, I've got to hand it to him: that man had insight! I'm glad to read that Fornits is your "life-affirming gift"; that says a lot about the quality of your life. Let me guess: divorced, unemployed, kids won't talk to you, friendless, broke, and, at the root of it all, no Hyde diploma! Ursus, you have no sense of humor, but you are hilarious! Best of luck to you, old bear. I'll check in every few months to see how you're still doing.

::roflmao::  ::roflmao::  ::roflmao::
Never kissed Ed's ass, never kissed anybody's ass there... since as you say, I have no sense of humor, not even enough of a sense of humor to know how to kiss someone's ass there, let alone the prerequisite charm involved... But it would certainly appear, given what's on your mind, that you would know a great deal about that type of activity.  

Ed wouldn't recognize me from a lump on a log; which says a lot about the only kind of insight he could have possibly had, i.e., not much.  Sorry to disparage your hero, but the man was clueless about such subtleties.

As to the remainder of your most personally directed attack, you have about as much clue as Ed did, nay, less.  Even sifting through my posts as carefully and obsessively as you apparently do, searching for any and all catchy phrases or life events that you might possibly use to turn against me, you still haven't caught the gingerbread man.

I'll take your attentiveness as a compliment.  Thanks!  Next time, try a wee bit harder, old chum!  
:wave:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 20, 2007, 04:50:25 AM »
Quote from: ""Mike""

::roflmao::  ::roflmao::  ::roflmao::
Never kissed Ed's ass, never kissed anybody's ass there... since as you say, I have no sense of humor, not even enough of a sense of humor to know how to kiss someone's ass there, let alone the prerequisite charm involved... But it would certainly appear, given what's on your mind, that you would know a great deal about that type of activity.  

Ed wouldn't recognize me from a lump on a log; which says a lot about the only kind of insight he could have possibly had, i.e., not much.  Sorry to disparage your hero, but the man was clueless about such subtleties.

As to the remainder of your most personally directed attack, you have about as much clue as Ed did, nay, less.  Even sifting through my posts as carefully and obsessively as you apparently do, searching for any and all catchy phrases or life events that you might possibly use to turn against me, you still haven't caught the gingerbread man.

I'll take your attentiveness as a compliment.  Thanks!  Next time, try a little harder, old chum!  
:wave:

What attack! That was a thank you note for brightening yet another morning with laughter! You have correctly surmised that I put together my profile of you from all the biographical data you generously make available on Fornits. What can I say, you are an interesting character!

Regards, my friend!
Mike

Mike

Offline Jesus H Christ

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 20, 2007, 11:59:43 AM »
The guy that was making Joe squirm was as queer as a three dollar bill.
sk and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 20, 2007, 12:58:59 PM »
The guy that was making Joe squirm was as queer as a three dollar bill.

Always wondered what Joe thought of Sumner's predilections, whether he even understood them...

Somewhere back, in the archives here, someone posted re. Sumner trying to tongue-kiss a former male student who came back for an alumni event.

Not sure what that was all about.  Perhaps an exaggeration, perhaps not.  Suffice to say, it was believable.

Never quite sure why Sumner married Jean Gannett, as the relationship appeared to be platonic at best.  I don't doubt that there was affection, but the whole deal smacked of other, more political issues.  Was Sumner trying to get Joe and Ed off his back?  Was he trying to do his part for the olde Blue and Gold by ensuring the school remained unscathed by the local media?  Or was he merely grateful for Joe's tolerance of his alcohol consumption?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 20, 2007, 10:46:56 PM »
I hate to say something negative about Sumner Hawley cuz most of you seem to like him here, but he told me that he would write a letter of recommendation for college for me and he never did.  Hyde hated me and he was the only one I felt I could turn to.  I called him many times over several months and each time he said he would do it.  It seems to me that he could have been more honest with me if he really didn't feel comfortable.  Instead he just stringed me along.

I think he was a damned coward.  Maybe he had good reason to be and he was stuck between a rock and a hard place.  But from where I sat it pretty much sucked, sucked big time.  And he didnt even have the balls to set me straight.

They talk up this big story about ethics and responsibility and honesty and all that other crap, and its really just one big pile of putrid horseshit when it comes to applying it to themselves.  They play favorites with their chosen ones and they single out some others to be the examples of what its like to be on the bottom.  

Its worse than a regular boarding school.  At least there everybody knows that bullshit goes around.  At Hyde they pretend they are above all that but they are really actually WORSE than everybody else.  They think their shit dont stink, and we're supposed to believe it, cuz they say that it is so.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 21, 2007, 07:54:39 AM »

Hyde hated me

Hyde as a collective entity hated you?