Author Topic: Looks like people won't be able to get here from libraries o  (Read 1256 times)

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
At least if this bill passes...
http://www.washtimes.com/upi/20060511-114314-2665r.htm
It's aimed at MySpace but it also applies to message boards. "Online predators" ya know...

They serve so that we don't have to. They offer to give up their lives so that we can be free. It is, remarkably, their gift to us. And all they ask for in return is that we never send them into harm's way unless it is absolutely necessary. Will they ever trust us again?

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/latestnews/index.php?id=18' target='_new'>Michael More

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Looks like people won't be able to get here from libraries o
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 10:14:00 PM »
Know what? Good! These kids need a good challenge, damn it! The smarter ones need a chance to distinguish themselves from them others who can't figure out how to get around the filters. Them others need to know their place and know it well. And, of course, the netizens and purveyors of social networking sites really need to come up w/ some less Orwellian terminology to meet the captives halfway and get past the filters from the other side.

Yup! All the way `round, this will be good for everybody but the tax payors. But what the hell? They're sleeping anyway. They'll never notice.

If we choose to violate the rights of the innocent in order to discover and act against the guilty, then we have transformed our country into a police state and abandoned one of the fundamental tenants of a free society. In order to win the war on drugs, we must not sacrifice the life of the Constitution in the battle.
--US District Judge H. Lee Sarokin

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 02:36:00 AM »
myspace sucks anyway.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »
Um, Ginger, schools have been blocking ports and specific domains for a LONG ass time, lol.

Partially cos they dont want kids slacking off, and partially so they dont get their bandwidth bogged down with 15000 pics on one myspace page or streaming videos that everyone has to spam all over everyone elses myspace page.  :roll:

That said, proxies, shells, port-forwarding etc isnt exactly hard to set up if you know your computer shit.

I kind if like the idea of making the internet about the geeks again  :em:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 09:19:00 AM »
On 2006-05-13 23:36:00, sorry... try another castle wrote:

"myspace sucks anyway.
"

It is for people with real life friends.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »
On 2006-05-14 06:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-05-13 23:36:00, sorry... try another castle wrote:

"myspace sucks anyway.

"

It is for people with real life friends."

Shit, myspace is for kids. If you're over 25 and not promoting your band, you shouldn't even know what a myspace page looks like.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
One of my friends got a myspace account once, and immediately regretted it. Within the next few days, he had several hundred people he didn't even know bothering him asking if they could add him. (I think it was because his account was put on the "who's cool" page or something.) Anyway, it really pissed him off. I agree. Something like that would bother the fuck out of me. (I seriously doubt I would be put on the who's cool page, though. Fine by me.)

I agree with niles, though. Schools have been blocking sites for quite a while. The conservative part of me says that the government should have no business in regulating that. That's total big government and I disagree with micromanagement in that area. (For some reason, though, neoconservatives love big government.) I feel that kind of decision should be left up to the school district.

I don't mind the school districts blocking access, though. Tax dollars to get computers into public schools shouldn't be so the kids can fuck around all day. If they want to chat it up with their friends on myspace, do it at home or at an internet cafe. (There are only like, a million of those.) Or god forbid, read a fucking book once in a while.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 05:23:00 AM »
If only you know the shit I pulled over my highschool network  :rofl:  :rofl:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 08:05:00 PM »
When I was school learning computer programming they tried to filter the stuff from the Internet. Imagine, a bunch of (mostly) young kids who are actually programming students and the school thinks they can use filters?!

We went to a room to take a survey. After the survey we discussed the fact that the filters were so strict you couldn't even read the news. So, I proved the point of ineffectiveness. I simply searched the HD for *.jpg and opened the first one that came up. Yup. Twins. The girl next to me (about 19 yrs old) said, "Based on that, do you guys think I need a boob job?" We all replied, "NO!" in unison.

13 teens face felonies
By: Dan Roman 06/23/2005
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
Thirteen Kutztown Area High School students are facing felony charges for tampering with district-issued laptop computers.

According to parent testimony and confirmed by an otherwise vaguely-worded letter from the Kutztown Police Department, students got hold of the system's secret administrative password and reconfigured their computers to achieve greater Internet and network access.

Some students used the newfound freedom to download music and inappropriate images from the Internet.

James Shrawder spoke on behalf of a group of parents of six of the accused at a June 20 school board meeting. He said the administration may have railroaded the process by not providing authorities with the whole story.

"That's absurd," Superintendent Brenda S. Winkler said after the board meeting, in response to Shrawder's allegations that the administration withheld information until the end of the school year.

Shrawder asked that the school board act in order to reverse the damage done by the administration.

Shrawder said the secret password "50Trexler," was widely-known among the student body and distributed early in the school year. It allowed between 80 and 100 students to reconfigure their laptops, he said.

The more computer-savvy students began to disable the administrations' ability to spy on the students' computer use. For others, it became a game, trying to outsmart the administration and compete with fellow students who held the secret, Shrawder said.

"I don't know why this is such a big deal," he said. "At no time was the security of the server breached, and I don't know that it has cost the taxpayers any money."

Winkler agreed that the server, where grades and other private records are stored, was never threatened.

Shrawder acknowledged that the students broke school rules, but he and the other parents protested what they believe is the heavy-handed approach to the problem.

Most of the students accused were freshmen, but a few were sophomores and juniors. None of the accused were seniors.

Parents also worried that a felony conviction would permanently damage their child's record for an infraction that may otherwise have resulted in a grounding if it were discovered by a parent.

"I don't think they knew what this could do to their future," said LeAnn Shoemaker, a parent of one of the accused.

Her 15-year-old son John, who will be a sophomore next fall, agreed.

"I knew it was against school policy," he said. "But I didn't know it was a felony."

Winkler said the administration could not comment on student disciplinary action.

"We continue to collaborate with police," she said.

She also noted that charges have not been formally issued and could not comment on the perceived harsh penalty.

School Board President Don C. Vymazal said he sympathized with the parents.

"They are concerned and we would be too," he said.

For the moment, parents were uncertain how to react to the threat of charges against their children. Paperwork is hung up in county juvenile court system and the only indication of the charges is the letter sent to parents and signed by Officer Walter J. Skavinsky of the Kutztown Police Department.

The Skavinsky letter, dated May 31, says the police were contacted on May 2 by members of the high school staff. An investigation found that 13 students had violated the school's permitted use policy and gained greater access to the school's Internet and intranet resources.

Skavinsky consulted with the Berks County District Attorney's office and recommended charges of "Computer Trespass," in violation of PA criminal code section 7615, which carries a third degree felony charge.

The letter tells parents that juveniles charged with a crime "must present themselves in a timely manner to the arresting police department for the purposes of fingerprinting and identification."

The iBook laptops were issued to all high school students last fall in an experimental program with Apple computers.

The program will cost up to $900,000 over the next four years.

Winkler reaffirmed the district's commitment to the program saying it has been "a learning experience."

http://www.berksmontnews.com/site/news. ... 2980&rfi=6

PS: It was later revealed that the password was taped to the back of the computers. That's how the students got it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »
http://www.aclu.org/privacy/speech/1561 ... 20420.html

This article states why this law is unconstitutional.