Author Topic: History question  (Read 12702 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »
Will some kind soul please explain the Joe Gauld-Ed Legg war?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 05:52:00 PM »
On 2006-05-04 11:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Will some kind soul please explain the Joe Gauld-Ed Legg war?"

Well there is the war and there is the lead up. You have to understand the step up first.  This is a subject of which I have firsthand knowledge.  I must run tho. My beans are burning in the kitchen

Su3

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:00:00 PM »
This is a complex issue. Too much to write about in one sitting.

Anyone who knows Joe will admit he is not really cut out to run a school on a day-to-day basis over a long period of time. He seems to need crises to motivate him periodically, to shake things up and get his attention, or perhaps to focus the attention of the community on him. Often, in the old days, he would cancel classes and pull the whole school into the mansion area to sit on the steps in the main hall, so he could lead a school meeting about some kind of crisis. After starting the school in the late 60's, Joe ran the school for maybe 5 years or so before turning the headmaster position over to Ed Legg. Ed was educated as an undergrad at Harvard and as an attorney at the U of TX. He and his wife Ann, a Wellesley grad, both taught at Hyde.

Joe's new role after Ed became head was supposed to be "National Commitment." This included writing a book, which was organized around stories of teachers, students, and families, as
edited by Joe. His editor at Bantam was Toni Burbank. Joe called "book meetings" of a select group from the community. These were held in his office on the second floor of the mansion. Ed's office was across the hall. The two were separated by a space for secretaries. There was much back and forth between the two. This interaction became increasingly agitated over time.  This was in the mid-to-late 1970's. Joe crafted himself as the "spritual leader" of Hyde, while Ed ran operations and lead the school on a more practical level.

Joe also spent a great deal of time playing golf during this time. He also performed in America's Spirit (begun in 1976 for the becentennial) on tour, sometimes traveling with an entire suitcase full of hard candy, which he liked to suck on. Joe  participated in the Job Corps tour of America's Spirit, during which he dramatically called at least one Job Corps center director on the carpet for his attitude. The Job Corps tour was lead by Ed, who also had a flare for the dramatic and who was know to become angry in public, although not to the extent or with the loss of control of Joe.  One can see how issues of power and influence might have arisen between Ed and Joe during this period.

To be continued...

I welcome others to chime in if you think I have gotten this wrong or skewed it too much one way or the other.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 10:16:00 PM »
It would be important to note what national commitment was.  would you care to describe it?

Sue

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 02:46:00 PM »
"National Commitment" was Joe Gauld's idea that he was somehow going to evangelize every school in the country to remake itself in Hyde's image. In addition to the book there was an appearance on the Today Show, another on Phil Donohue, and an article in Time Magazine. Joe, at the time, also had a weekly column in the Portland, ME newspaper. The national media coverage was in 1976 and sort of dried up after that. Also, America's Spirit was supposed to be a part of all of that.

Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction- faith in fiction is a damnable false hope.
--Thomas Edison, American inventor

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 04:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the National Commitment explanation. David Susskind was during that period. Maybe Phil Donohue as well.

America's Spirit shows always had Hyde admissions materials on display. And, yes, it was supposed to be a vehicle for National Commitment, using the style of "Up With People." There were media interviews and local tv appearances along the way.

The Job Corps tour was also supposed to introduce the Hyde message. This was when there was funding under Jimmy Carter for this type of thing. Ruth Warwick, an actress known for her role in an early Orson Wells film (name escapes me, but it was the one with the sled named Rosebud) and later on All My Children, appeared at some of the America's Spirit performances on the Jobs Corps tour in the late 70's. Dick Mohatt, who was the  government rep on the tour, left his job and came with his family to teach at Hyde.

There was much internal turmoil at Hyde in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Joe left the school during this period. I do not know whether he was asked to leave or whether he left voluntarily. I do know that there was a large meeting with all of the faculty and the trustees during which at least some of the faculty suggested that Joe leave. Over the course of the next few years, almost the entire faculty that existed at Hyde during those tumultous years left the school. This included Malcolm, Laura, Laurie and Paul, members of the Gauld clan who had been teaching at Hyde. Eventually Ed and Ann Legg left as well.

When Joe came back into power in later years, he was accompanied by Laurie, Paul, Malcolm, Laura, and eventually Gigi. Ken and Claire Grant gravitated back to Hyde as well. They are related to the Gauld clan indirectly, as Claire and Laura Gauld are sisters.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »
On 2006-05-26 13:56:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Thanks for the National Commitment explanation. David Susskind was during that period. Maybe Phil Donohue as well.

America's Spirit shows always had Hyde admissions materials on display. And, yes, it was supposed to be a vehicle for National Commitment, using the style of "Up With People." There were media interviews and local tv appearances along the way.

The Job Corps tour was also supposed to introduce the Hyde message. This was when there was funding under Jimmy Carter for this type of thing. Ruth Warwick, an actress known for her role in an early Orson Wells film (name escapes me, but it was the one with the sled named Rosebud) and later on All My Children, appeared at some of the America's Spirit performances on the Jobs Corps tour in the late 70's. Dick Mohatt, who was the  government rep on the tour, left his job and came with his family to teach at Hyde.

There was much internal turmoil at Hyde in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Joe left the school during this period. I do not know whether he was asked to leave or whether he left voluntarily. I do know that there was a large meeting with all of the faculty and the trustees during which at least some of the faculty suggested that Joe leave. Over the course of the next few years, almost the entire faculty that existed at Hyde during those tumultous years left the school. This included Malcolm, Laura, Laurie and Paul, members of the Gauld clan who had been teaching at Hyde. Eventually Ed and Ann Legg left as well.

When Joe came back into power in later years, he was accompanied by Laurie, Paul, Malcolm, Laura, and eventually Gigi. Ken and Claire Grant gravitated back to Hyde as well. They are related to the Gauld clan indirectly, as Claire and Laura Gauld are sisters."

Joe Gauld seems to have a chronic tendency to alienate people.  Based on my observations of him, his arrogance and cockiness end up overshadowing what comes across as fake humility.  I imagine he has spent decades alternating between being seductive with his character education speech (including the golf swing metaphors) and his abusive behavior.  I am not at all surprised to hear that there were major falling-outs and internal chaos at Hyde.  The place is a nasty cauldron that seems to be filled with pathology, complicated personalities, needy staff, and role models who sanction emotionally abusive behavior.  Hyde staff who are decent and caring don't seem to last long or stay because they aren't able to function outside the Hyde environment.  It amazes me that the Gauld crew was able to reinfiltrate the place.  It also amazes me that the place hasn't imploded from its internal craziness.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »
On 2006-05-26 13:56:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Thanks for the National Commitment explanation. David Susskind was during that period. Maybe Phil Donohue as well.

When Joe came back into power in later years, he was accompanied by Laurie, Paul, Malcolm, Laura, and eventually Gigi. Ken and Claire Grant gravitated back to Hyde as well. They are related to the Gauld clan indirectly, as Claire and Laura Gauld are sisters."

The movie was Citizen Kane a thinly disguised bio of William Randolf Hearst, one of the most powerful men in america.

IT was my understanding that Joe and Ed were asked to leave simultanitously.  Joe and Ed were fighting for control of the school.  The issue was brought to the Board of Governor. The BoG asked both of them to leave.  I heard there was a move to offer the Headmaster job to Larry Pray but that never came to fruition.  Hyde did a search and hired a guy named Williams.  The school declined under his leadership to the point of insolvence.  The parent of a Hyde graduate, a fellow by the name of Lennox made the BoG an offer: I will bail you out under two conditions: the whole Bog resigns and you bring back Joe.

I would like to point out that I was not present for any of this.  I would really like to hear this from folks who were there, a first hand account.  I am really curious how the whole thing between Joe and Ed went down and how the faculty split.  Like was henry a Joe man or an Ed man. How did they make there cases to the community as to the merits of who should run the school. That kind of detail.  I have tried to talk to people about this one on one but it is really uncofortable for the people that were there, like kids in a divorce .

Sue

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 11:01:00 AM »
I would like to point out that when Joe came back in 86? the whole teaching  staff was purged.  The only people there now that were staff from the seventies are:

Joe Guald
Paul Hurd

Paul is maried to a Gauld

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
On 2006-05-27 08:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

I would like to point out that when Joe came back in 86? the whole teaching  staff was purged.  The only people there now that were staff from the seventies are:

Joe Guald

Paul Hurd

Paul is maried to a Gauld

"

What about Don McMillan?  Isn't he a relation also?  It gets so confusing because everyone at Hyde seem to be married to each other or related in some way.  I believe it was McMillan who had the bad temper and has had a couple of physical altercations with kids.  I also remember Ken Grant getting physical with one of the students.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »
Sue,
You are incorrect. Joe and Ed did not leave at the same time.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »
Laurie Gauld Hurd, Malcolm Gauld, and Ken Grant were also on staff in the late 1970's.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 07:44:00 AM »
So who left first and how did it happen?

Sue Doenym

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
History question
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 09:53:53 PM »
Joe left first.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Joe's departure
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 08:01:27 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Joe left first.

I'm a former student from the early 1970s. I obviously wasn't there at the time, but from what I heard from students who were, Ed engineered Joe's departure in a sort of coup d'état. This quickly backfired and the whole place imploded with a professional headmaster brought in and the Hyde philosophy jettisoned.

My personal view was always that Joe was absolutely crackers with an enormous ego, but sincere. Ed Legg was highly intelligent, but power hungry, arrogant and insincere.

Subsequently, I worked in Hong Kong in early 1985 with a recent college graduate from Bowdoin, small world, who's mother was brought in by the Board in the early 1980s to help evaluate Hyde School. Her surname was Ring and I believe she was a professor of education at Bowdoin. In any event, as I recall from several conversations with her daughter this individual spent a great deal of time interviewing Joe and Ed. She and the board concluded that Hyde was enormously destructive and if it wasn't shut down then Joe had to to go.  She viewed him as unstable and thought the Hyde environment was extremely unhealthy for children of any description.