Author Topic: ASR  (Read 52982 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ASR
« on: May 03, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »
i went there, but years ago.  i was just curious to see if it had changed at all and plus i'm getting my degree in social work and looking into different options - i've worked at a wilderness program since.  but i think i'll stick to working with underprivileged youth and stay away from the boarding school "industry."  however, i was curious nonetheless and this came up when i googled swift river.  i was there just about 5 or 6 months after the school had opened.  i don't know how much it has changed but when i was there, the owners and the administrative staff were as sneaky and dishonest as the students.  it's a huge business.  i'd say, for anyone thinking about sending their child to an aspen program, not to expect wonders - if you do it, be really clear about what you want for you and your child and have someone (therapist, ed. consultant) to walk you through it the whole way so you're on top of whatever the school is not.  i think some kids get something from it, but more so because it's away from the environment they were "acting out" in.  other than that, the work still remains between the guardian and their child.  i think it's ridiculous to believe that a program can "fix" a child anyway, with no work from the parent/guardian, but especially within the therapeutic boarding school industry, it's important to know your own goals as parents/guardians and be clear about your boudaries and what you want from the school.  sometimes the staff members don't know what they're doing, sometimes they do.  sometimes they're as bad as the kids.  i've heard many stories about staff getting high with students, and although i think this is more common with wilderness programs, i've heard a few stories of abuse.  i think, whatever decision parents make, it's important to keep in mind that the school is a place away from home where their kid should safe - feel out the staff/faculty (visit the school).  something key - a good program will incorporate the parents as much as possible into the process and... yes, hold the parents accountable as well.  the parents have to be willing to do "emotional" work just as the students do.  when i was there, it was very chaotic and the owners/administration lied about the facility and students.  they had made things up about my life experiences before going there and because my mom and i (although things were bumpy) has a good relationship, she knew what they were saying wasn't true.  they were giving dishonest information about me to a therapist who worked outside of the school who would then do write-ups to put in our academic records.  my mom had to be really harsh with them because those lies would be in my records when it came time to applying to college, for jobs, etc.  they also intentionally didn't give classes the students needed to postpone the amount of time students would stay there... even if students were doing fine and parents and students alike were ready to have them go back home.  a good school with also be honest if it's not the right match.  so, parents need to know what they're looking for, being willing to take responsibility for their part, have a connection outside of the school, and be a part of the process.  if the parents go in with that attitude, they'll be able to be clear about the school and whether or not it's right for their child.  they'll know if it isn't working and they need to find a different place.  i'd recommend having a family therapist (if you can find a good one - haha, the hard part) and not relying 100% on the school.  again, ASR may have changed since i was there, but it's still part of a huge industry.  i wouldn't say don't use them, but know what you're doing and what you want out of it.  there are good faculty members and counselors in the schools as well but don't expect it to "save" your child - it's a place for them to be away, to work on growing up and develop a better relationship with parents in a healthy way, and maybe if the school has improved, get something out of the experience.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »
I am going to get jumped on by the fornits members but I currently have a son there (has been for 10 months. Things have changed for the better. There is no longer a wilderness component (which I have read about on this site to be borderline abusive).

AS for the staff (at ASR and in all of these programs) there are many loving, caring individuals. We lucked into an incredible therapist, which is perhaps why I feel positive about the school. There are also some staff that don't care. But currently, the good staff far outweigh the others.

AS for academics, we have found quite the opposite. We have chosen to accelerate his academics. He is able to complete both his junior and senior year and graduate high school (yes, I know many on this sight say they are not accredited and the diploma is worthless). Ous son is taking SAT and took ACT there (on site). He is applying to colleges and we have employed an EC to help us find the right college for him.

There are still petty little rules. In general, it is geared more toward earning positive things like a CD player, trips out on the weekends.... although our son has had his share of challenges. They are not inhumane, mostly writing assignments, not being able to sleep in on the weekends, no weekend movie or school store (snacks).

One main complaint that I have is that the kids seem quite bored on the weekends.
  I think that part of our success there can be attributed to giving him a safe environment (from drugs) and time to mature. The other huge factor is the realization on ASR's part that it is a family problem. We all have issues,his sister, dad and I and we all have been addressing them as well as our son. ASR was able to address WHY our son self-medicated with drugs. He had very low self-esteem and these underlying issues had to be addressed before the drug use.
     Perhaps you could work at one of these facilities and make a difference. Your background of what worked and did not for you puts you in a unique position. These programs need to change and are constantly reevaluating how to make them better.

In concept, I understand why the posters on this forum want to shut down ALL programs, saying they are ineffective and abusive. ASR does, and has been following up on kids after they leave the program. Relapses are bound to happen, but these kids have learned some tools to get back on track.

Sit back and watch my whole post dissected and being shot down. It will not be the first time. But, I am speaking from personal, current experience, not heresay or kids who were in the program several years ago.

I am glad to hear that you were able to move on with your life and are a productive member of society. Congratulations (this may or may not have happened if you hadn't gone to ASR)! Good luck!

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the input.  My daughter graduated a few years ago and is doing well also.  It is good to see that ASR is still thriving, improving and expanding.

I do remember my daughter going nuts because she was bored on the weekends, but as it turns out this is when she did the most reflection and writing in her diary/journal, some of the counselors, you could tell were there to get some experience and move on, but the nice thing was a child could work with a counselor they liked on certain projects (i.e. life steps, parent meetings, group etc.) to help them if they felt safer with them.

I think if any of the programs improve their success rate it will be programs like ASR because they track their students after graduation and implement improvements /changes based on input.  I can see from your post that they are moving forward and am glad to see it..

The people here may not abuse you to much, they pounded me for about 100 pages on another thread and gave up, I think.  I think their heart is in the right place but are working thru personal issues, which is part of what this forum is about.  Well, thanks for posting your experience.  Here is a link to a long heated debate:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?So ... &start=735

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »
The people here may not abuse you to much, they pounded me for about 100 pages on another thread and gave up, I think. I think their heart is in the right place but are working thru personal issues, which is part of what this forum is about.

you get "pounded" because you say the same dumb shit over and over and over for hundreds of pages.  people have stopped because you are as dumb as a rock and talking to you at all is a waste of time.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 08:00:00 AM »
We lucked into an incredible therapist, which is perhaps why I feel positive about the school.

if you're relying on luck, why not just save the money and the pain hope you luck out at home?  or maybe just go to a reputable, astablished psychologist and you don't have to rely on luck for your kid's well being.  

pretty absurd to pay for services and only get them if you get lucky.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 06:41:00 PM »
NO they are not - call the DEEC at 617-988-6600 and ask them if they are licensed by them, then ask if they are not licensed who then regulates them and oversee's them...NO ONE Pray that nothing happens to those kids, while on medication, administering restraint, etc...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 08:59:08 AM »
we do not do restraints at ASR.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 12:00:30 PM »
I talked to my friend after the losers at ASR got through with her.  She was a wreck.  She liked some of the counselors, some of them were nice people.

She liked being able to tell her parents she was a lesbian and have her wicked step turn purple trying not to go into conniption fits as everyone stomped all over said step in the "reconciliation" meetings.

She liked Costa Rica.

And she was a complete and total emotional wreck when she got out of the place.  She has no relationship, nor will ever, with the wicked step.   The parent who sent her, she has a relationship with, but it has been permanently adversely impacted by both the harm ASR did my friend and said parent's lack of ability to recognize what a horrible, damaging, totally irresponsible choice the parent made in sending her to ASR.

My friend was a good person with her head screwed on straight before she went---a bright, talented, promising young woman.  She still is those things, now underlain by a layer of pain, disillusionment, sadness, betrayal, and lingering trauma damage from ASR.

She is coping.  She was on track to be a real winner of a young lady before, she is on track for the same now.

But the damage ASR did to her will always be with her, and will always be needless harm and nightmares she has to overcome, for the rest of her life.

Why was she sent?  Because she had the nerve to get mad when the wicked step pulled yet another jerk stunt and because she had the bald-faced gall not to love the wicked step.  She was sent because the wicked step is a jerk and any parent is almost always going to side with the person on the other side of the bed.  More so if that person is a total jerk, because then the parent has to be enough of an idiot, or desperate enough, not to recognize a real jerk when they're sleeping with one.

Having a wicked step is an average bad problem an unfortunate number of teens have to deal with.

ASR was way beyond average bad.  She will struggle with the aftereffects for life, and her relationship with her parent will never fully recover from the damage.  It will recover more if her parent ever comes to recognize that gross error of judgment, but even so will always be more distant and less trusting than it was.

If you asked her parent, I'm sure you'd be told how wonderful ASR is and was for my friend.  It's easy to convince yourself something is wonderful after you've already spent thousands of dollars on it.

But no matter how much the parent's self-delusion persists, the relationship with that daughter has been damaged for life.  The parent is lucky the daughter is such a wonderful, caring, forgiving person or there would be *no* relationship.

Julie

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
DAVE MARCUS/RUDY BENTZ Giving "Emotional Growth" S
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 09:34:18 AM »
For everyone, especially The Who, that stuck to the tired argument that Dave Marcus is an "impartial author" just writing about ASR - the good and bad, here's the deal...

I said all along that Marcus was a program shill - and he is.  Recent news states that Marcus is now an "Emotional Growth Seminar Facilitator" working with renowned child abuser Rudy Bentz.  Keep in mind neither Marcus nor Bentz have any education whatsoever in the area of mental health treatment.

There ya go, mindless program supporters.  DAVE MARCUS is now an OFFICIAL SHILL.  This is just another item in a long list that all of you vehemently denied, but, again you are wrong - like you are on just about every single issue ever debated here.

HurleyGirley, can you please elaborate on this topic?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 01:16:56 PM »
Dear Lord...
So, he hangs out in an unlicensed, experiemental, BM facility and suddenly he's an "Adolescent Behavior Expert"?
Go back to World News, Dave.

http://www.kepplerspeakers.com/speakers ... sp?1-37JZ4
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline nalex18

• View Profile
I'll answer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 08:41:01 PM »
Hey everyone,

I posted several times a while back in the long thread about ASR as a guest. ( I just went through the whole thing, and wow, what a disaster!)

I wanted to give anyone who wants to a chance to talk to someone who went to ASR. I went there 2002-2003 so I cannot comment on how the school is doing currently. If anyone has any questions about what it was like or anything like that, I will answer as best as I can.

-NA

Offline nalex18

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 12:07:33 AM »
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
Do they restrain kids at ASR?

What passes for staff training?

Do they have a level system?

What about parent contact? Phone calls, home visits, campus visits? Are these rights or earned privelages?

When I was there:

1) No, kids were NOT restrained

2) I do not have the knowledge to answer this question

3) Yes, they did. There were, if I remember correctly, 4 levels.

4) Phone calls were once a week with the amount of time increasing as you progressed in the program. Until the end of the program you could not make phone calls without staff in the room.
There were 2 home visits and one hotel visit. I don't know that the hotel visit was a right. Unless you were dropped peer groups you were able to go on home visits as scheduled.

5) Campus visits were basically limited to ones that were scheduled (family resolutions). Parents were STRONGLY discouraged from coming and it was a big no-no for a kid to ask their parents to come.
I remember a mom came to drop off some things for her child and later the girl was told it was "not right" that her mom had come.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 04:02:24 AM »
what would happen to a kid who did not want to talk during group therapy?
Did they still use Bans to prevent some kids from forming friendships?

Did any kid ever refuse to send the letter home outlining their sins?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline nalex18

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 01:10:06 PM »
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
What was the education program like?

Did they accept anyone to the program?

What passes for therapy?

Who approved level advancements and how where they approved?

1) The education program was poor. We did not even have a full set of encyclopedias. Some of the teachers were good, others did not seem qualified to teach the subjects they were.

2) I'm not sure what "anyone" means but essentially, yes. They definitely took kids that they did not have the means to treat. (for example, eating disorders)

3) If someone was on medication (and a lot of kids were) you saw an individual doctor. You also have therapy within your group and then once a week in a mixed group with kids from many other "peer groups". There were special groups and "life steps". Lots of crying, yelling, etc. Some of the things that went on in group I believe was wrong.

Offline nalex18

• View Profile
ASR
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 01:14:36 PM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
what would happen to a kid who did not want to talk during group therapy?
Did they still use Bans to prevent some kids from forming friendships?

Did any kid ever refuse to send the letter home outlining their sins?

1) If someone refused to talk in group they would often be placed on a Reflection, the lightest of the consequences. You would receive a folder with a "truth list" and writing assignments to do things like "Why I feel I don't have to talk in group".

2) Bans were used to prohibit relationships being formed that the school thought to be "unhealthy". Bans included simply looking at another person. Bans could span from one person, one sex, a portion of the school (ie lower school), or the entire school.

3) I'm sure that some did, however you could not move forward in the program without doing so, so I think that most kids gave in and did it.