Author Topic: Level System  (Read 8884 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Level System
« on: April 25, 2006, 11:59:00 PM »
At WWASP's CCM, girls had to be voted up to each level by their peers, and it only took a single vote to hold someone back.  And so life was full of ongoing campaigns and secret alliances, with the girls engaged in a true life version of Survivor, fighting their ways home.  

It was simple to drop - sneaking extra food, talking to the opposite sex, writing a note with negative comments about the program, etc.  But getting up took several months, and it took years if you didn't behave.  Higher levels were expected to tattle on lower levels or also drop for the same offenses they witnessed committed by others.  Higher levels were supposed to staff the seminars, which meant that they had to "confront" others by getting in their faces and putting them down.  Higher levels could almost taste freedom, so they must be forgiven for their transgressions against others.

The rewards were food.  The highest level was able to go to the movies, and this was after like a year, but they would always change the rules and what was allowed.  We did not hike or do the other stuff listed in various marketing materials.  You got to talk to your parents on the higher levels, but it was still supervised.  Local visits and especially home visits were waaaay down the road.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »
The levels:
Level 1 (now known as "entry level")-- in this level, the inmate may not speak, stand up, sit down, move or do anything without asking for permission first. They can only communicate with their parents through letters.
Level 2 (now known as Achievement Level)-- in this level, the inmate is still under heavy control, but they can stand up/sit down/move from one room to another without asking for permission, and they get a few more meaningless priviledges. They still can't communicate with their parents in any way besides the letters, which are subject to censorship.
Level 3 (now known as Advanced Status)-- in this level, the inmate is permitted to talk to his/her parents by phone-- once a month, for 15 minutes.
Level 4 (now known as Service Status)-- inmates have two 20 minute phone calls with parents monthly. They also have one 3-day visit a month in local area (not overnight).
Level 5 (now known as Honor Status)-- inmates have three 20 minute phone calls with parents monthly. They also have one 3-day overnight visit a month in local area (not at home). They may have homevisits after completing the Parent-Child II Seminar.
Level 6 (now known as High Honor Status)-- inmates have weekly 20 minute phone calls with parents. They also continue to have their home visits on this level.

This may not sounds so bad-- unless you consider the fact that you can get dropped for pretty much anything, that WWASPS has an interest in keeping you there as long as possible, and that it takes the vast majority of inmates months, sometimes years, till they reach a level where they can see or talk to their parents.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »
Level 1's cannot talk to other Level 1's. They do not get food condiments, they can't wear shoelaces.

Offline Irish Mom

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
On 2006-04-26 11:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Level 1's cannot talk to other Level 1's. They do not get food condiments, they can't wear shoelaces."

You are right about level 1's not talking to each other, but level 1's CAN have condiments and they CAN wear shoe laces.  The only time you don't get your laces is if you are on run risk.  They did away with not letting level 1's have condiments until level 2 about 2 years ago.  I can check again and make sure that hasn't changed since I left there.
Despair or folly?  It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.  We do not.  It is wisdom to recognize neccessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false h

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 04:50:00 PM »
On 2006-04-26 12:28:00, Irish Mom wrote:

"

On 2006-04-26 11:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Level 1's cannot talk to other Level 1's. They do not get food condiments, they can't wear shoelaces."

You are right about level 1's not talking to each other, but level 1's CAN have condiments and they CAN wear shoe laces.  The only time you don't get your laces is if you are on run risk.  They did away with not letting level 1's have condiments until level 2 about 2 years ago.  I can check again and make sure that hasn't changed since I left there."

good to hear its changed, it was true when I was there though.

Offline emaree

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 05:26:00 PM »
isn't there level three all stars (1600 points) in between level three and four? or did they get rid of that too?
----

\"They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. They should say evil prevails.\"
Lord Of War

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »
It's still there

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »
What the hell type of treatment is withholding condiments????

So if someone has a meth addiction, the first step in treatment is to deny ketchup, syrup, mustard and pepper?

Whether or not the rule still exists, it serves as useful insight into the intelligence of the trolls.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »
On 2006-04-26 16:02:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What the hell type of treatment is withholding condiments????

So if someone has a meth addiction, the first step in treatment is to deny ketchup, syrup, mustard and pepper?

Whether or not the rule still exists, it serves as useful insight into the intelligence of the trolls."

These type of rules come from the idiots that compare the treatment of troubled teens to baking pizzas. Idiots!!!! What's next......I'm afraid to even ask!!!!

Offline Irish Mom

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »

Whether or not the rule still exists, it serves as useful insight into the intelligence of the trolls."

Wow, I hope that reference to "trolls" wasn't directed at me.  I just relayed what I knew to be in effect while I was there.  Never said I agreed with it.   :eek:
Despair or folly?  It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.  We do not.  It is wisdom to recognize neccessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false h

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »
On 2006-04-26 17:18:00, Irish Mom wrote:

"

Wow, I hope that reference to "trolls" wasn't directed at me.  I just relayed what I knew to be in effect while I was there.  Never said I agreed with it.   :eek: "

No, not directed at you!  Obviously you are a valuable source of info and not the dimwit who wrote the Staff Handbook.

Offline Irish Mom

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »
On 2006-04-26 17:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-04-26 17:18:00, Irish Mom wrote:

"

Wow, I hope that reference to "trolls" wasn't directed at me.  I just relayed what I knew to be in effect while I was there.  Never said I agreed with it.   :eek: "

No, not directed at you!  Obviously you are a valuable source of info and not the dimwit who wrote the Staff Handbook."

Whew!  Okay, I can breathe again...lol

Offline Irish Mom

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
On 2006-04-26 18:04:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"Maybe it is just me, but it seems to me that a certain percentage of the kids must at least be infuriated with their parents enough to the extent of not even wanting to bother with their phone calls?

Does this ever happen?

Any priest or shaman must be presumed guilty until proven innocent.
--Robert A. Heinlen, American science-ficiton author

"

I remember a couple of times where some of my girls refused to talk to their parents.  They were so angry at them for one thing or another.  Sometimes it was for putting them in the program and sometimes it was for things that happened after they were already there.  It was really hard to not say anything negative about their parents to them, but a lot of times if you did they just ended up defending them, so it was best to not say anything about their parents.  I would just let them vent if they needed to.

I just had the hardest time as a parent to understand how you could send your child away at the absolute hardest time in their lives.  I remember other staff telling me to just wait until my child was a teenager and then see what I had to say, but I still to this day know that I would NEVER send my child away for others to deal with their problems.  Isn't that why we have kids, to raise them ourselves??  Maybe that's naieve on my part...who knows?? :???:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 03:40:00 PM »
I just had the hardest time as a parent to understand how you could send your child away at the absolute hardest time in their lives.  I remember other staff telling me to just wait until my child was a teenager and then see what I had to say, but I still to this day know that I would NEVER send my child away for others to deal with their problems.  Isn't that why we have kids, to raise them ourselves??  Maybe that's naieve on my part...who knows?? :???: "

I'm in a pickle right now and need to decide quickly whether or not to attempt to send my kid to Horizon Academy.  To answer your question, though I'd love to raise my kid.  The problem is he won't let me.

Here's the scenario.  My kid has been failing in school since the fifth grade.  He's in High School now. He's had multiple truancies.  Now a few months ago he and a friend decide to steal a tip jar that had $37 in it.  On the surface this doesn't sound like a big deal, but the District Attorney charged him with Comercial Burglery, a felony.  The kid that was with him, caucasian, was let off with a lesser charge.  Nevermind that kid was in Opportunities for Learning.  The place they send kids who were kicked out of regular school.  My son could be sent to the California Youth Authority for one to three years for this.  He was even given the opportunity to get the charges removed if he did community service and improved his grades.  He hasn't done this.  The only way I can make him go to school would be for me to quit my job and follow him around 24/7.  That's not an option by the way.  

I've been going to counselling and have attempted to take him.  He's disappeared for many appointments.  During counselling it was suggested he might of Oppositional Defiant Disorder.  It was suggested that I ask his school to test him.  I've atempted to do that, but they've taken months.  Now it appears they'll be too late to help.  I've also sought local psychiatrists to test him, but that wasn't overly helpful.  I suppose I could try again, but I'm out of time it seems.

My question to people here is would he be better off in Horizon Academy or in the California Youth Authority?  I'm pretty sure in the latter he'd be mixed with kids that are hard-core criminals, mine isn't there yet.  Is there something better that I can do?  He has to go to court on Friday morning so I need an answer yesterday.  He's either going to jail or this program.  I don't think they'll wait for me to have him tested by a psychiatrist.

Offline Worried Dad

• View Profile
Level System
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »
The above post about my kid about to go to the California Youth Authority is mine.  

Before you judge me as a bad parent, I have an 18 year old son that's doing okay.  This child though doesn't listen.  I can't control what he does when I'm not home.  I try to show him I love him and that I want the best for him.  He seems mentally ill in my opinion.  

Before anyone says I should have hired an attorney for my son, I did.  He wasn't able to convince the DA to lower the charges.  My son is guilty of that crime if you look at the letter of the law too.  This whole situation is insane.